ADVERTISEMENT

DLS vs Mater Dei Open Div Champion Prediction

MD will stack the box and attempt to shut down what makes DLS offense go.They have zero fear that DLS can win this game by passing especially with the kids in the secondary.The 3 best defensive units I’ve seen in California rank in this order
SJB
MD
DLS
MD offense is better than Folsom because Young is a better QB than The Folsom kid and the O-line is more physical and experienced against the best D-lines in the country (IMG,SJB)
I think DLS will hang in there for two maybe 3 qrts but eventually were down

ararar; good analysis. Was there ever anyone who thought the folsom offense was on par with MD and SJB?

I think the difference is that generally DLS takes what they have of players who are at their school their freshman year and build on that. MD, on the other hand, is well known for bringing mass transfers in who played either their freshmen or sophomore years at other high schools.

I think there are two big difference in the programs.

1) DLS, for all of the success and prestige that they have, is not a very attractive destination for college-bound skill position players. Particularly QBs and WRs. Most college recruiters are looking for QBs that run the Pro-Style or Spread offense. You wont get those reps at DLS.

SoCal and NorCal are both hotbeds for skill position players. MD and SJB have upped the ante! They are showcasing the richness of CA football talent. DLS hasnt adopted their formula... I see Capital Christian of Sacramento heading in that direction as well.

2) MD/SJB football programs finally flooded the field with Black and Polynesian players. The teams look more like the 2008 Poly/Grant Pacers than traditional MD.... Some may call it recruiting... But the church calls it "mission work" .... This could work at DLS as well. But the church, administration, and coaching staff must all be on board.

MD is now attracting top SoCal talent and providing the kids with an atmosphere that allows them to receive a quality education, go to school in a safe environment, and play top notch football. They are seeing the kids through the process...Kudos to their success...

Reactions: observer22
MD will stack the box and attempt to shut down what makes DLS offense go.They have zero fear that DLS can win this game by passing especially with the kids in the secondary

And if that's what they do, keep an eye on Foskey. DLS always seems to have that big, physical, athletic seam busting TE. Hooper, Asiasi and now Foskey.

Unlike previous QB's of the recent past, Hale can make some plays with his arm. If MD completely sells out on the run, they're likely to give up some big pass plays.

I think DLS will hang in there for two maybe 3 qrts but eventually were down

You SoCal'ers like to say this every year because the odds are that it will eventually happen, right? We NorCal'ers know all about that because we say the same thing. ;)

Obviously SJB and MD laid it to 'em the past 2 years. MD had an all-time team, perhaps one of the best ever, and DLS didn't field one of their better teams.

But remember what happened in 2013 against another all-time great SJB? 6 point game.

I'm not predicting a DLS win, but I think this Spartans team might have enough to put up a fight like that 2013 team did.

Reactions: THEOC89
And if that's what they do, keep an eye on Foskey. DLS always seems to have that big, physical, athletic seam busting TE. Hooper, Asiasi and now Foskey.

Unlike previous QB's of the recent past, Hale can make some plays with his arm. If MD completely sells out on the run, they're likely to give up some big pass plays.

Maybe but it’s highly unlikely with that secondary....if they have all their secondary because....

You SoCal'ers like to say this every year because the odds are that it will eventually happen, right? We NorCal'ers know all about that because we say the same thing. ;)

Obviously SJB and MD laid it to 'em the past 2 years. MD had an all-time team, perhaps one of the best ever, and DLS didn't field one of their better teams.

But remember what happened in 2013 against another all-time great SJB? 6 point game.

I'm not predicting a DLS win, but I think this Spartans team might have enough to put up a fight like that 2013 team did.

Difference is nobody thought SJB was way better than that Spartan team in fact I said SJB would win by 7 at the time

There was an incident in the Mater Dei locker room after its win over St. John Bosco. Several players could be suspended for Saturday's state bowl game. School isn't commenting on disciplinary matters involving students

There was an incident in the Mater Dei locker room after its win over St. John Bosco. Several players could be suspended for Saturday's state bowl game. School isn't commenting on disciplinary matters involving students

Interesting. Without disclosing identities are the players allegedly (or possibly) suspended difference makers? Meaning players they will miss? I realize that every starter on both sides of the ball are next level but could these absence tip the scales towards DLS?

Difference is nobody thought SJB was way better than that Spartan team in fact I said SJB would win by 7 at the time

I don't recall what you said, but I recall many others thinking DLS had no chance. SJB's lines were too big and dominant and they had too much talent with Rosen and McGrew.

Uh oh. Somebody better get a jump start on creating Sammy's excuse thread for him ..... file it behind the wet field in 2010 ...... hahahah

Interesting. Without disclosing identities are the players allegedly (or possibly) suspended difference makers? Meaning players they will miss? I realize that every starter on both sides of the ball are next level but could these absence tip the scales towards DLS?

At this point nobody but the school knows who the kids are that might be suspended

I think the comments that Folsom would stack up with DLS in a 7 game series are off. the main reason is that DLS had a MUCH tougher schedule. Besides DLS, Folsom only played one good team, del oro. DLS played Folsom, Central Catholic, St. Francis, Bishop Gorman, and Buchanan, all who are better than any team Folsom played (except DLS). Note that Del Oro beat CC, but Central Catholic gave that game away.

Does anyone think really believe that if Folsom and Bishop Gorman played right now that Folsom would win?

Folsom has an excellent program, but the DLS defense would be just too much in a rematch. Thunder Ram puts both DLS and Folsom at the next level below MD and SLB. The truth is that MD and SJB, because of blatant recruiting, are at the top level, then comes DLS, and a slightly lower level then comes Folsom. No shame in Folsom being seen below the three other schools.

Reactions: THEOC89
DLS 34-31 over MD. Dls has played a good schedule this year. They beat 1 state champ(bishop gorman), 3 section champs(san ramon, bishop o dowd, and folsom) and 2 section runner ups(st francis and central catholic) who both lost in the final seconds of their respective championship games or else that would be 5 section champs. Go norcal

You can't seriously be arguing DLS strength of schedule as they prepare to play Mater Dei. Take a look at the teams Mater Dei played and beat and get back to me.

WOW!! Greats replies from both DLS and MD fans. Much appreciated. I just have a feeling about this game. IMO this is the best DLS defense since 2003. Defense will win this game. Big turnovers caused by DL pressure vs MD QB resulting in hurries and sacks. The DLS D backs are the best group I have seen ever. Hurries become huge interceptions. DLS is averaging 3 in their last 6 games. DLS in a huge plus on turnovers. DLS QB must deliver, but tough for a short QB. But, Dorian is fast as hell, elusive, and liable to click off big runs out of backfield for TDs if MD doesnt account for him. He can also throw pretty darn good so get ready for a new wrinkle -- the beer option plus quick passes to Foskey, Daley, Garrett. I see this game closer than 31-17 by calpreps. Instead, more like 21-17 by the winner. Defense and Turnovers will be the key. Good luck to both teams. !!@@!!

Is the game being streamed or on TV? I will be in Kauai and NFHS Network doesn't have it. Also won't get back until late the following Sat and probably miss the other state championships on the following Sat. Hopefully there is a stream for some on next Friday.

Is the game being streamed or on TV? I will be in Kauai and NFHS Network doesn't have it. Also won't get back until late the following Sat and probably miss the other state championships on the following Sat. Hopefully there is a stream for some on next Friday.
A true NorCalSportsFan would have planned his vacation around the bowl games. But yes I was able to watch the game last year on Oahu. I’m not sure what channel it was.

Reactions: NorCalSportsFan
A true NorCalSportsFan would have planned his vacation around the bowl games. But yes I was able to watch the game last year on Oahu. I’m not sure what channel it was.
That's what I told my wife, but good husbands have to make compromises some times. Still have to talk her into finding a place to watch it if we don't have it at our place. LOL

Reactions: Humbab
I’m not going to say name since it hasn’t been said by school publicly. I did not see the tweet from the player before it was removed. And yes he is a ‘difference maker’. I have no idea what, if any, type of disciplinary action the school will take. But I can tell you that the school has sat star players in the past in big games so there are no favorites when it comes to discipline at MD.

I’m not going to say name since it hasn’t been said by school publicly. I did not see the tweet from the player before it was removed. And yes he is a ‘difference maker’. I have no idea what, if any, type of disciplinary action the school will take. But I can tell you that the school has sat star players in the past in big games so there are no favorites when it comes to discipline at MD.

No names are necessary of course and glad you are keeping it close to the vest. These are kids and some can be impulsive. Hope there is a teaching moment here and I'm sure they have adequate backups.

Last edited:
You can't seriously be arguing DLS strength of schedule as they prepare to play Mater Dei. Take a look at the teams Mater Dei played and beat and get back to me.

I was only making a statement that dls has played a good schedule that will have them prepared to play in the state championship game. Surprisingly enough coach al came out and said pretty much the same thing about his team in the article posted by i think streak. So my initial comment was more of a statement not an argument. Typically it takes more than one person to argue, but now that you have commented i am assuming you feel some kind of way about me commenting on dls having played a schedule this year filled with teams that are still playing in December? I wasnt comparing schedules, did i miss something? Id be happy to get back at you, but please clarify what am i getting back to you about?

Sound like several MD players may be suspended for locker room incident according to Reporter Soundheimer without going into detail

It’s also on NBC Sports Bay Area. If you have U-verse or DirecTV you can watch it on your phone/iPad through the app. I think Comcast has an app too.

Can't find my original prediction but if there are some key players lost due to suspension, there is a good shot it will be closer. Still think MD is 14 point advantage.

MD 35- DLS 21

Oh no... hurry, transfer in some more D1 players

Elias Ricks of Mater Dei is not dressed. He's in the stands. Has nine interceptions.

MD best DB

I am glad MD is cocky and over confident. Same goes for the fans and writers. If there ever was a game with upset written all over it, this is the game. The revenge factor very high for DLS. You can bet that DLS locker room before game is red hot from the pregame speeches and commitments players make. DLS players will play like Supermen tonight. Watchout@!

Elias Ricks of Mater Dei is not dressed. He's in the stands. Has nine interceptions.

MD best DB
Criddell is sitting in t(e stands with him also. So now 3 of the starting 4 from beginning of season are out with Nimmo, Ricks and Criddell.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT