ADVERTISEMENT

EARLY Predictions Norcal Ranking Top 20

Winetot

That cafeteria floor doesn't get to much playing during the since Brookside is a road team. That pretty impressive for thever last 5 year the little Itty bit school won State championship, been to the open 2, lost in NorCal finials and went to the D4 state. That's not bad for a team that plays on a cafeteria floor. Can you answer this question does the floor make the player or does player make floor???? Another thing Brookside has one of best on the road records since the always on the road. No home advantage for Brookside ever? Name 7 teams that have a better record on the road then Brookside in the pass 5 years.?????

Northbay I just call as I see it!!!!!! I know what that top bracket will look like in WCJ SOON AS CLAY NAMES THE TOP BRACKET.. CALLED LAST YEAR IF YOUR REMEMBER....

Last edited:
Respect - I know CN was going to open with BC last year but your coach backed out. That would have been 1 good guard versus the unathletic bigs. I think Pleasaht Valley will be really good this year, if CN opens against them that would be a great match-up. If I were running the tourney I would not open with PV and I would for sure have SMS and Sac on same side. It looks like a very competitive field, I would pump that tournament up as well. At least they aren't playing the games in a cafeteria, that's for sure a positive.

Respect - I have acknowledged the BC success in the past. This post is about pre-season ratings for the upcoming season. BC should not be rated in the top 20, they no longer have the players they have had in the past. Unfortunately, for them, it's not even close this year.

Winetot

Most team not the same except Mitty. SMS and MM not the same with all the big names graduate or transferred out. Why do you think they join forces. Brookside will be fine this all their players did very well in AAU circuit on top teams like Oakland Soldiers and JBS. Never count out the coaching of Pico that's one of the best in NorCal if not CA as a whole. Mid way through the season we would discuss the ranking again.

Mitty and Poly return pretty much everything. Being a year older, they should both be considered to be even better. Clear #1 and #2 in the state to start the season in my opinion. We return 11 players and add a D1 transfer that is now eligible after sitting out last year. Cardinal Newman returns their starting five. Others like Sierra Canyon were young and had great seasons last year and should also be a year more seasoned/mature.

Teams like Miramonte, Chaminade, St. Mary's, Salesian and others lost key pieces but have strong coaching and tradition within their programs. Programs like these can often succeed based on the whole being greater than the sum of their parts. Don't be surprised if some of these and others continue to have high levels of success albeit the loss of their superstars.

LCJD takes a big hit losing their young point guard but will have a lot of pieces still and Coach Bamford always does a great job. Mission Hills is very strong in recent years and adds the Oak Ridge transfer.

Then there are a lot of up and comers that should be making a push to contend. I'm not leaving anyone out, just throwing out a few examples of how competitive it will be this year. There are probably 12-15 others that could/should be added to this collection of teams.

Reactions: ClayK and Paytc
Wow! I didn't know that. That is too bad. I saw her play this past summer. She is a very skilled and mature player. That is so unfortunate for that young lady. I wish her the best and hope for a successful and speedy recovery.

CW GOLDEN EAGLES

Your right on most parts about teams but you and I know no matter how many returns you have they have to physical an athletic players to make far with the elite in CA. SMS first time in years that they had to rely on JV players. They usually just recruit the best but not happening any more because the Mustangs girls are going to McClatchy. But just in the same the last of the great Mustangs are all about to graduate these next 3 years. I know your remember the Mustangs come down to your tournament for AAU many of them are D1 or D2 players.
MM been ride a high for the last 4 years but she is at Oregon now but they will be good buto not in the open this year.

CW GOLDEN EAGLES

Your right on most parts about teams but you and I know no matter how many returns you have they have to physical an athletic players to make far with the elite in CA. SMS first time in years that they had to rely on JV players. They usually just recruit the best but not happening any more because the Mustangs girls are going to McClatchy. But just in the same the last of the great Mustangs are all about to graduate these next 3 years. I know your remember the Mustangs come down to your tournament for AAU many of them are D1 or D2 players.
MM been ride a high for the last 4 years but she is at Oregon now but they will be good buto not in the open this year.
What are the names of the Mustang players you are talking about? What high school did they previously play for? Thank you.

Cptmycpa

McClatchy players Clark, Tuner, Cruz, Lowry, and Hall.
SMS players DeCosta, Young sisters, Johnson, Moss, and Stephen's.
SAC High S. Brown and Blountil.
Vaden Blackshell-Fair
Manteca High Kakala, and Fryer.
Lincoln high Manipal, and Leapada
Brookside Lockard, Lewis, Weary
KIMBALL Potter
Hanford Sumlong
West Campus Johnson sisters
These are all former Stockton Mustang class of 2017,2018, and 2019. All of them start but 1or 2.
This Mustang 8the grade team the was blowing out high school teams was Clark, Blackshell-Fair, Kakala, S.Brown, DeCosta, Potter, Manipal, Lewis, Fryer, JJ Spivey( Best player in the state of Mississippi), Johnson(SMS), Sumlong and Leapada.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paytc
Cptmycpa

McClatchy players Clark, Tuner, Cruz, Lowry, and Hall.
SMS players DeCosta, Young sisters, Johnson, Moss, and Stephen's.
SAC High S. Brown and Blountil.
Vaden Blackshell-Fair
Manteca High Kakala, and Fryer.
Lincoln high Manipal, and Leapada
Brookside Lockard, Lewis, Weary
KIMBALL Potter
Hanford Sumlong
West Campus Johnson sisters
These are all former Stockton Mustang class of 2017,2018, and 2019. All of them start but 1or 2.
This Mustang 8the grade team the was blowing out high school teams was Clark, Blackshell-Fair, Kakala, S.Brown, DeCosta, Potter, Manipal, Lewis, Fryer, JJ Spivey( Best player in the state of Mississippi), Johnson(SMS), Sumlong and Leapada.

RespectBBGame
Thank you for the detail. For the transferred McClatchy player who came from Sac High are you referring to Richelle Turney (not Tuner)? Do you know if Sac High will contest/protest to the Sac-Joaquin Section to allow this transfer? I remember Courtesy Clark had to sit out a year for her transfer to McClatchy.

Also, I noticed on the MaxPreps website for McClatchy that Jeff Ota is listed as head coach for the girls McClatchy team. He previously coached the varsity boys. I also noticed that MaxPreps lists McClatchy at Division 2 this year, not Division 1. Because McClatchy won the Division 1 CIF State Championship in 2014-15, will the Section force McClatchy in Division 1?

Sac-Joaquin is really goofy when it comes to postseason, but because of McClatchy's enrollment, it will likely be bumped up to Division Ifor postseason – and certainly is a candidate for the Open in Norcals.

Jeff Otais the new coach for McClatchy, and I didn't know he had been on the boys side. There are some subtle adjustments that need to be made between the boys' and girls' game, and it may take a little while for him to acclimate. In the end, though, talent will tell, and McClatchy has plenty of that.

So Mitty vs LBP a preview of the Open State Championship...
and Alohaaaa means hello and goodbye!!!!

So it's time to get serious about a top 20. Here are the suspects, in no particular order.

Thoughts and additions?

Brookside
Elk Grove
Campolindo
Salesian
Miramonte
St. Francis (Mountain View)
Cardinal Newman
McClatchy
Sacramento
Pinewood
BOD
SMS
St. Francis (Sacramento)
Carondelet
SHC
Antelope
Vanden
West Campus
Berkeley
Pleasant Valley
Castro Valley
Woodside Priory
Mitty
Arcata
ESCP
Menlo Atherton
Lincoln
Christian Brothers
St. Ignatius
Oak Ridge
St. Mary's (Berkeley)

If anyone wants to know who's in the top 20 just look WCJ premier brackets. They go hand and hand if you know what I mean. There are some other teams won't because they aren't playing in the tournament. Teams like MItty. When the rankings come out that's the way it will how else to promote the tournament?????

An interesting point, and one I might have bought into some time ago -- but the reality is that very few games in the WCJ, or any girls' basketball event, draw more than the fans of the teams involved. And if they do draw some followers of girls' high school basketball in general, the numbers are inconsequential.

The best tournament in the country, the Nike TOC in Arizona, draws almost no one outside of people who travel with the teams and some college coaches.

I wish rankings would sell tickets, but sadly they don't. The biggest draws are local matchups at nearby schools -- for example, one year Campo and Acalanes played at Bentley, and that got a lot of people there. But Sacramento and Manteca won't draw more than a handful of ticketbuyers beyond their fan base no matter where and when they would play.

Clay

I wasn't talking about money but making the tournament look like your have the top teams in the right brackets!!!!!

Clay,

I would absolutely agree with you on the Nike TOC. Those games bring out the best of the best in the nation. The games are ultra competitive and really bring out all the true capabilities of both players and coaches. It is unfortunate that the attendance isn't larger because those who attend are treated to top level athletes and very skilled players.

Reactions: Paytc
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT