ADVERTISEMENT

Ending a CCS public school streak

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
It's been 36 years since a CCS public school girls' basketball won (or even played for) a CIF state title in any division, equity-based, enrollment-based, whatever. Is this the year that drought ends? The indications are not encouraging. The best of the 2024 bunch, Los Gatos, has been slotted into NorCal Division I. The competition from the private/parochials there will be fierce. Same goes for several other public contenders like Everygreen Valley and Branham in divisions just below I. But Lynbrook of San Jose has been shunted all the way down to Division 5. Now we're talking. Lynbrook could do some damage down there in the depths of the bottom (worst) bracket. They are 18-9 playing in a strong CCS public school league where they finished 7-5. They are an at-large NorCal selection. They might be the best hope to end that depressing CCS public bagel that began during the Reagan Administration. Fingers crossed.

It is a sign that I have spent too much time on this board that I saw the Lynbrook placement and instantly thought of your annual post on this topic.
Guilty as charged. Unable to free myself from this interminable CCS bondage. I need help.

Update after Round 1: And then there were four CCS publics left. Branham (II), Mills (III), Alisal (IV) and Lynbrook (V). Round 2 beckons.

Down goes Alisal. Falls to #4 Foothill 66-55.

Sigh. That's a wrap. At least it was over quickly.

• Haha
Reactions: bella123
It was not a good day for any CCS teams, really. There were seven in the D1 bracket and all have been eliminated.

Agree. The 2024 CIF equity-based playoffs have become a CCS nightmare. One of its worst showings on the female side in a very long time. The flameouts on both the public and private/parochial sides are stark.

But.... one CCS team left in the Open Division... pretty strong representative of the CCS.

Reactions: ClayK
Agree. The 2024 CIF equity-based playoffs have become a CCS nightmare. One of its worst showings on the female side in a very long time. The flameouts on both the public and private/parochial sides are stark.
I don't know what the previous seasons were like for the CCS at this point in the playoffs, but here's where the Sections are now this season.

CCS - 3:
Open - Mitty
D4 - Notre Dame
D5 - Crystal Springs Upland

NCS - 7:
D1 - Carondelet; Bishop O'Dowd
D2 - Maria Carillo
D3 - University; Cornerstone Christian
D4 - St. Bernard's; Arcata

SJS - 8:
Open - St. Mary's; Folsom
D1 - Oak Ridge; McClatchy
D2 - Colfax
D5 - Woodland Christian
D6 - Sacramento Adventist; Faith Christian

Northern - 5:
D3 - Pleasant Valley (Chico)
D4 - Foothill (Palo Cedro)
D5 - Trinity (Weaverville)
D6 - Weed; Fall River (McArthur)

Central - 3:
Open - Clovis West
D3 - Central; Caruthers

Oakland - 2:
D2 - Oakland Tech
D5 - Oakland

San Francisco - 0

SJS is clearly the strongest this year. But CCS has the best team (if healthy).

Any word on Bramer (heard she's done for the season) and Cheli?

I don't know what the previous seasons were like for the CCS at this point in the playoffs, but here's where the Sections are now this season.

CCS - 3:
Open - Mitty
D4 - Notre Dame
D5 - Crystal Springs Upland

NCS - 7:
D1 - Carondelet; Bishop O'Dowd
D2 - Maria Carillo
D3 - University; Cornerstone Christian
D4 - St. Bernard's; Arcata

SJS - 8:
Open - St. Mary's; Folsom
D1 - Oak Ridge; McClatchy
D2 - Colfax
D5 - Woodland Christian
D6 - Sacramento Adventist; Faith Christian

Northern - 5:
D3 - Pleasant Valley (Chico)
D4 - Foothill (Palo Cedro)
D5 - Trinity (Weaverville)
D6 - Weed; Fall River (McArthur)

Central - 3:
Open - Clovis West
D3 - Central; Caruthers

Oakland - 2:
D2 - Oakland Tech
D5 - Oakland

San Francisco - 0
Oakland in D5? How does that happen? Very odd.

That is very interesting, not knowing much about the Oakland Section. On a second look, yes. The CIF used their Competitive Equity "magic" and put Division 1 Oakland in a Division 5 bracket. I thought under CIF rules something like that doesn't suppose to happen.

That is very interesting, not knowing much about the Oakland Section. On a second look, yes. The CIF used their Competitive Equity "magic" and put Division 1 Oakland in a Division 5 bracket. I thought under CIF rules something like that doesn't suppose to happen.

what are the enrollment numbers for D1?

Enrollment is no longer a significant factor in preparing brackets. Note Pinewood in DI for example. It's supposed to be all about competitive balance. But Oakland in the bottom (worst) bracket? Very strange indeed. It's almost as though the NorCal poobahs want another parade on Broadway to boost the troubled town's collective psyche. OK. So be it. We get it. But really.

Very strange indeed. It's almost as though the NorCal poobahs want another parade on Broadway to boost the troubled town's collective psyche. OK. So be it. We get it. But really.
Yes, they're already lining the street in anticipation!
786ce23049e9ef38eb7e3bfff2bb6914.jpg

it's funny (or sad) that the OAL gets preferential treatment when it comes to seeding. lIke lets feel sorry for the kids from Oakland and give them a good seed. The first two of Tech's state championships were a joke. They were clearly better than many of the teams in divisions above them. There's no reason they should not have been in D1 and Oakland in D5 this year? Give me a break.

It's one more strong indication that the very idea that a single league (the OAL) can be considered a separate CIF section is a farce. The AAA across the Bay Bridge is in the same preferential situation.

it's funny (or sad) that the OAL gets preferential treatment when it comes to seeding. lIke lets feel sorry for the kids from Oakland and give them a good seed. The first two of Tech's state championships were a joke. They were clearly better than many of the teams in divisions above them. There's no reason they should not have been in D1 and Oakland in D5 this year? Give me a break.
The hate

It's interesting how the committee consistently underseeds OAL girls -- I have to think the OAL commissioner a) wants his or her teams to win titles; and b) is an excellent negotiator.

The criticism about Oakland Tech's placement has been unrelenting for the past several years, yet the committee still repeats its mistake. At some point, it's not accident or luck; there's more going on here.

Where's the hate? Do you agree or disagree that both Oakland Tech and Oakland are in the division they're supposed to be in? Look at both RPI's and there's a reason they're running through each division with no contest. This happened 2-3 years ago when both schools won D4 & 5 Titles in the same year. Then you have teams like San Domenico (D5) and St. Pats who both were moved up several divisions. OAL is supposed to be a D1 league, top to bottom...

Where's the hate? Do you agree or disagree that both Oakland Tech and Oakland are in the division they're supposed to be in? Look at both RPI's and there's a reason they're running through each division with no contest. This happened 2-3 years ago when both schools won D4 & 5 Titles in the same year. Then you have teams like San Domenico (D5) and St. Pats who both were moved up several divisions. OAL is supposed to be a D1 league, top to bottom...
The hate comment was more about the shot at the city.
Oakland high was pretty awful the last couple of years. Nobody expected them to be decent again. If they lost the first game nobody would feel sorry for them. They got hot.
I think tech had the forfeits which record moved them down. They went on the road and beat a section champ.

The hate comment was more about the shot at the city.
Oakland high was pretty awful the last couple of years. Nobody expected them to be decent again. If they lost the first game nobody would feel sorry for them. They got hot.
I think tech had the forfeits which record moved them down. They went on the road and beat a section champ.
and yet you still didn't answer the question. Do you think they are in the division they belong in? The ineligible player is NOW eligible, right?

So Oakland will visit the ultra-pricey 94010 neighborhood Tuesday to face Crystal Springs Uplands for the D5 NorCal title. An interesting meeting between two very different demographic worlds. Tuition at CSU is $60,000 yearly. A gaggle of National Merit Scholars. High SAT's. During the regular season, the girls' last names were not printed in media write-ups. Concern about kidnapping/ransom perhaps. By all rights, this game should not be played in the underground bomb shelter/gym at CSU. No seating of any consequence. Beautiful building. Modern. Two stories. Courts in basement level. More than likely, another mid-Peninsula facility will have to be used. It's also worth noting that, arguably, CSU's best returning player transferred to Pinewood last summer. They are still not too shabby even sans that kid.

So Oakland will visit the ultra-pricey 94010 neighborhood Tuesday to face Crystal Springs Uplands for the D5 NorCal title. An interesting meeting between two very different demographic worlds. Tuition at CSU is $60,000 yearly. A gaggle of National Merit Scholars. High SAT's. During the regular season, the girls' last names were not printed in media write-ups. Concern about kidnapping/ransom perhaps. By all rights, this game should not be played in the underground bomb shelter/gym at CSU. No seating of any consequence. Beautiful building. Modern. Two stories. Courts in basement level. More than likely, another mid-Peninsula facility will have to be used. It's also worth noting that, arguably, CSU's best returning player transferred to Pinewood last summer. They are still not too shabby even sans that kid.
Well, full names and uniform numbers are on Maxpreps....
But yes how can they host any game. Just a small seating section at one end of the court. Doesn't CIF have minimum seating requirements to host a game?

and yet you still didn't answer the question. Do you think they are in the division they belong in? The ineligible player is NOW eligible, right?
looking at some of the other schools in D5... lowell, wood, lynbrook all have more kids than oakland high... why the shade for only Oakland?

looking at some of the other schools in D5... lowell, wood, lynbrook all have more kids than oakland high... why the shade for only Oakland?
Again, enrollment is not a determining criterion in the Age of Equity..Still, for the sake of perspective, Crystal Springs has an enrollment of 330. Oakland's is listed at 1,700. Make of that what you will.

But Crystal Springs is private and thus has no boundaries. And if the administration is serious about athletics, programs can emerge. (Most private schools with big tuitions make an effort to have "scholarships" of one sort or another in order to diversify the campus. When I was at Bentley, we were much more diverse than neighboring Campolindo.)

I'm not saying there's no advantage to Oakland High, but it's not quite as big as the numbers suggest (depending on administrative will.)

In 2021-22, Oakland was 789 in the state; the next year 589.

In 2021-22, CSU was 268 in the state; the next year 86.

Reactions: colhenrylives
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT