ADVERTISEMENT

Ending a CCS public school streak

Again, enrollment is not a determining criterion in the Age of Equity..Still, for the sake of perspective, Crystal Springs has an enrollment of 330. Oakland's is listed at 1,700. Make of that what you will.
and oakland high will play montgomery high.. enrollment 1,700

And Oakland won by 12. Don't know how the game went, but 12 points generally means a competitive game. Which is what it's all about.

Montgomery won its game over Immanuel (332 students) by two.

Oakland cruised to its win in leafy Hillsborough Tuesday night. The visitors to CSU's underground home court rolled in the second half. Their 6-4 junior center dominated in the paint throughout (28 points, 16 rebounds). The 62-50 final tally was deceptive. Oakland was clearly the better unit. They had leads of up to 20 points in the second half. Kudos to them. They well deserved that road W. Best of luck to them in the CIF D5 finale. The debate on their NorCal divisional placement is for another day.

Last edited:
It's been 36 years since a CCS public school girls' basketball won (or even played for) a CIF state title in any division, equity-based, enrollment-based, whatever. Is this the year that drought ends? The indications are not encouraging. The best of the 2024 bunch, Los Gatos, has been slotted into NorCal Division I. The competition from the private/parochials there will be fierce. Same goes for several other public contenders like Everygreen Valley and Branham in divisions just below I. But Lynbrook of San Jose has been shunted all the way down to Division 5. Now we're talking. Lynbrook could do some damage down there in the depths of the bottom (worst) bracket. They are 18-9 playing in a strong CCS public school league where they finished 7-5. They are an at-large NorCal selection. They might be the best hope to end that depressing CCS public bagel that began during the Reagan Administration. Fingers crossed. Despite strong competition from private and parochial organizations, it is worth remembering that there is always room for surprises in sports. When I played basketball it was an unforgettable time, like a different life. I often had to pay for homework because I didn’t have time, I found https://ca.edubirdie.com/pay-for-homework for this. I spent all my free time and not only on basketball. But nothing worked out for me professionally. Now it seems to me that I didn’t improve in training and I regret it. So now when I go to school games it brings back deep memories for me.
Their relegation to a lower division gives them the opportunity to show their strengths. Perhaps they will end the series of failures.

Last edited:
There was a school of thought, optimistic to be sure, that speculated Lynbrook had a decent shot to get to the NorCal finale in D5. Having seen Oakland up close, that hope was misplaced. So much for 2024. Now it's on to 2025. We wish the CCS publics lots of luck in a seeding system that, again, has flaws. But the outlook remains iffy for them. Very iffy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT