ADVERTISEMENT

Final Oak Ridge 21 vs Del Oro 55

smashmouthrick

Hall of Famer
Sep 7, 2006
Newcastle Ca.
Two games of interest for me when DO's schedule was released was Granite Bay and Oak Ridge since pre-league scheduling was very disappointing. Granite Bay/DO game was not interesting. OR/DO game will be a playoff caliber game that will have a playoff atmosphere at Golden Eagle stadium this Friday night. Trojans vs the Golden Eagles in a game I expect will not disappoint. OR/DO game should be in consideration for pick'ems game of the week(got that Streak?:D).

OR is 8-6 vs DO going back to 2001.

From SOS POV OR is battle tested, DO is not.
OR SOS 34.7
DO SOS 16.3

Watching OR play Grant my observations about OR:
  • QB is solid, tall, pseudo mobile, great arm and makes good decisions
  • OL is solid, good size and fundamentally sound but would not say fast
  • DL is solid, one of their DE's(forget number) is a gamer and will pressure QB and sets a hard edge whichever side he lines up on and shuts down runs outside of tackles
  • LB's play with high FB IQ and are always on the ball and making plays
  • Well coached, very good and disciplined offense and defense, special teams seemed pretty good also
  • Typical OR team, solid
As I've said in other threads I think this is one of DO's best teams. So hard to gauge where they are since they have not been tested but have won each game with good margin which good teams do. They are solid on all 3 squads offense, defense and special teams in fact this is the best special teams I've seen in 18years.

Special teams has compiled 1 KO return for TD, 1 fumble returned for TD, 4 INT's returned for TD's, 5 punts returned for TD's, 29 of 31 PAT's, 3/3 FG's, 22 of 30 KO TB's, 5 blocked punts & 4 blocked FG's. Not bad.

DO's lines are also solid and disciplined but may not be as big as OR's. 2nd year head coach and 1st year DC. DC is ex NFL Eagles RB(Josh Parry), high energy and really has the whole team motivated. He blitzes which is something previous DC rarely did and their blitzes have been effective.

DO has more depth this year than I've seen in a long time, they plug and play well.

DO coming off a bye week which is a double edged sword. They will have no excuse for not being ready for OR. I expect OR will expose DO weaknesses since this will be DO's toughest game. OR coaches exploited and continued to exploit a few of Grant's weaknesses. Will be interested to see how DO coaching makes halftime adjustments.

Don't know how this game plays out but this will be a good one and I can't wait for Friday night!

Last edited:
Reactions: RidgeRider
very disappointing preseason sched for da eagles followed by whitney and granite bay 2 medicore teams, so just no comp this year yet, the del oro offense will be tested, OR has played some heavies but the new del oro DC is breath of fresh air, more aggressive and forces punts unlike before and puts da offense in easy positin to score, best i’ve seen in 12 years at DO, the old defense was too conservative and lost em games, OR has a good def from whats been said here, their offense could be better, will be good game.

Reactions: smashmouthrick
Two games of interest for me when DO's schedule was released was Granite Bay and Oak Ridge since pre-league scheduling was very disappointing. Granite Bay/DO game was not interesting. OR/DO game will be a playoff caliber game that will have a playoff atmosphere at Golden Eagle stadium this Friday night. Trojans vs the Golden Eagles in a game I expect will not disappoint. OR/DO game should be in consideration for pick'ems game of the week(got that Streak?:D).

OR is 8-6 vs DO going back to 2001.

From SOS POV OR is battle tested, DO is not.
OR SOS 34.7
DO SOS 16.3

Watching OR play Grant my observations about OR:
  • QB is solid, tall, pseudo mobile, great arm and makes good decisions
  • OL is solid, good size and fundamentally sound but would not say fast
  • DL is solid, one of their DE's(forget number) is a gamer and will pressure QB and sets a hard edge whichever side he lines up on and shuts down runs outside of tackles
  • LB's play with high FB IQ and are always on the ball and making plays
  • Well coached, very good and disciplined offense and defense, special teams seemed pretty good also
  • Typical OR team, solid
As I've said in other threads I think this is one of DO's best teams. So hard to gauge where they are since they have not been tested but have won each game with good margin which good teams do. They are solid on all 3 squads offense, defense and special teams in fact this is the best special teams I've seen in 18years.

Special teams has compiled 1 KO return for TD, 1 fumble returned for TD, 4 INT's returned for TD's, 5 punts returned for TD's, 29 of 31 PAT's, 3/3 FG's, 22 of 30 KO TB's, 5 blocked punts & 4 blocked FG's. Not bad.

DO's lines are also solid and disciplined but may not be as big as OR's. 2nd year head coach and 1st year DC. DC is ex NFL Eagles RB(Josh Parry), high energy and really has the whole team motivated. He blitzes which is something previous DC rarely did and their blitzes have been effective.

DO has more depth this year than I've seen in a long time, they plug and play well.

DO coming off a bye week which is a double edged sword. They will have no excuse for not being ready for OR. I expect OR will expose DO weaknesses since this will be DO's toughest game. OR coaches exploited and continued to exploit a few of Grant's weaknesses. Will be interested to see how DO coaching makes halftime adjustments.

Don't know how this game plays out but this will be a good one and I can't wait for Friday night!
Nice write up. Kinda surprised by Del Oro’s non league schedule. They usually schedule a tough, tough pre league schedule. Always respected them for that

Reactions: Kickingtee18
Nice write up. Kinda surprised by Del Oro’s non league schedule. They usually schedule a tough, tough pre league schedule. Always respected them for that
Agree @remc it was not typical of DO to have a soft pre-league. We will see how this manifests Friday. I’ve always believed playing better teams exposes your weaknesses that enables you to accelerate addressing those weaknesses so expect some latent weakness discovery vs a good OR team.

Reactions: Kickingtee18
Not hard to see why DO is buying what Coach Parry is selling
Word on the street is players couldn't stand the old DC and were happy he left, so whatever Parry was selling wasn't hard to accept. He obviously gained their respect, the DO defense is playing better than ever.

This will be a good game - maybe the best game in the SFL this year.
For two reasons: any game that includes Folsom is over before it starts, and SFL is so far down this year only OR and DO show any sign of life that may result in a real football game.

very disappointing preseason sched for da eagles followed by whitney and granite bay 2 medicore teams, so just no comp this year yet, the del oro offense will be tested, OR has played some heavies but the new del oro DC is breath of fresh air, more aggressive and forces punts unlike before and puts da offense in easy positin to score, best i’ve seen in 12 years at DO, the old defense was too conservative and lost em games, OR has a good def from whats been said here, their offense could be better, will be good game.

Agree. I would add not only has the D been exciting and aggressive and been a huge help to the O, but special teams this year, as Rick noted, has been outstanding. I've lost track of how much scoring has occurred on special teams. So many blocks, etc. the new STC has kicked it up this year with some great play out of his kids.

Last edited:
After the convincing win vs Oak Ridge tonight I’m starting to believe DO is the real deal. DO’s defense played their best game and of course special teams was special with the Rocket Man returning 2 KO’s for TD’s. Offense was lights out as well, solid on all 3 squads.

G-men next week in DPH. Unfortunately I will be out of state next week. Good win for Grant tonight over Rocklin. Grant/DO should be fun, wish I could be there:(

I will post updates, Rick.

We let off tonight towards the back half of the 3rd qtr but Oak Ridge knew they were not winning pretty early.

DO was too physical and overwhelmed them. Great win. Last game will be interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: smashmouthrick
Was pleasantly surprised to see this outcome. I thought DO would win, but didn’t expect the dominate performance. Good to see DO back contending for the SFL crown. Everyone expects Folsom to win it easily, but perhaps the Golden Eagles will have something for them.

Sounded like a really impressive performance. I saw a few highlights and can believe opponents keep kicking it to the Rocket .

the del oro return man guzman is da real deal, super fast and ya’ll right no idea why teams kick to him, and da defense shutem down, coach parry is amazing, best del oro defense ever, been lights out all year.

I was there last night. If you were an OR fan the light show at halftime was the highlight of your night. Wow... DO is very good. Guzman is lights out. That 99 yard kick off turn was like out of a cannon. OR was doomed from the first play of the game when they fielded a 13 man team and was penalized. I always say you can tell a lot mentally by stupid mistakes like that.

Might be best team I have seen from DO. (or performance) What I like about this team is there skill guys have D1 size. These wideouts are 6"2-6"3 and 190-200 lbs. Plus they are fast. Very impressed. One thing that stood out to me was special teams. DO kicker is amazing. There return team is off charts. This is a well rounded squad.

Last game of season is Folsom..... Not saying they are going to win but wouldn't be surprised if they hung around for awhile.

Last edited:
Del Oro doing what we came to expect from that group of kids. Could it be that Oak Ridge isn't very good as well? Totally overrated in my opinion. Reality is that SFL is way down this year.
A little of both. Del Oro is very good this year and Oak Ridge is mediocre at best.

Congrats to DO. They were very good last night, definitely contenders for the D2 Section and beyond. Well-coached and they made all the plays. Unfortunately, we did not show up to the party like we wanted to. We have struggled the last two games, being very inconsistent. It's new territory for OR to have such a young squad (5 sophs and 5 juniors that start/get significant reps). We have three more games to get better before playoffs, hopefully we are hitting stride at that point.

Congrats to DO. They were very good last night, definitely contenders for the D2 Section and beyond. Well-coached and they made all the plays. Unfortunately, we did not show up to the party like we wanted to. We have struggled the last two games, being very inconsistent. It's new territory for OR to have such a young squad (5 sophs and 5 juniors that start/get significant reps). We have three more games to get better before playoffs, hopefully we are hitting stride at that point.

That explains a lot MCIC. With that many sophomores playing up I now also see why the JV squad is not what it was, as a group, in the past 4 or 5 years. Continued good luck and hope your boys get a nice run going in to playoffs.

Last edited:
That explains a lot MCIC. With that many sophomores playing up I now also see why the JV squad is not what it was as a group in the past 4 or 5 years. Continued good luck and hope your boys get a nice run going in to playoffs.

That is a really good point. A lot of those kids got brought up to Varsity and are getting big minutes. OR should be very good next year. Lamson is much more athletic (runner) than Jenner as well so that option will give them another dimension. I wouldn't write off OR though. I think it was just more of a realization that DO is just that good.

Interesting ranking perspective.

Having seen OR, Grant and GB play I see it slightly different:

Folsom
Del Oro
OR
GB/Grant/Rocklin
Whitney

Don’t you think head-to-head means something? Since Grant Union beat both GB and Rocklin, haven’t they separated themselves from that pack just as OR did by beating the Pacers and Thunder?

Don’t you think head-to-head means something? Since Grant Union beat both GB and Rocklin, haven’t they separated themselves from that pack just as OR did by beating the Pacers and Thunder?
Yes TR I agree on point about Grant. My point was only to show OR separation. Grant would definitely be on a row by themselves above GB and Rocklin due to head to head wins.

That is a really good point. A lot of those kids got brought up to Varsity and are getting big minutes. OR should be very good next year. Lamson is much more athletic (runner) than Jenner as well so that option will give them another dimension. I wouldn't write off OR though. I think it was just more of a realization that DO is just that good.

I bet the Del Oro coaches and kids believe they can win the league.

Yep, OR will do well in the playoffs. Watched them against Grant and I think against DO they were not at their best. There is a lot of talent on that team and agree with that many young kids playing up, they'll be even better next season. QB has a great size and a good arm....he really slings the ball. Facing a team with so much speed front to back, like DO currently has, creates big problems for any high school team.

I've seen Lamson a bunch and he is trouble to contain. He is next level for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT