Hall of Famer
Aug 20, 2017
San Jose
HJump 9 3 pointers so far in the game and the game is still in the 3rd
PW 52 IW 36 to start the 4th
HJump 11 3 pointers still in the 4th
IW panicking shooting air ball 3s

Last edited:
Pinewood is almost impossible to beat when they shoot like this. Jump is 9 for 10 from deep. 31 points . End of third Pinewood 52 IW 36

That was Klay Thompsonesque. Hannah Jump went 11-12 from 3 pt range and scored 36. Pinewood rolled to a 63-49 win over IW.

Hey even the pros don't shoot 11-12 from the three point line. Perhaps they need to push the high school line out to the pro line? Smile.

Pinewood, a well coached/ high IQ team, shooting lights out from the 3 point range, is certainly not the Pinewood team you want to run into.

Is Pinewood going to the Nike TOC? Or will we all have to wait till the WCJ to see them back in action? Congratulations Pinewood !

Last edited:
That's amazing ... congrats to Hannah and Doc and the rest of the team for taking down previously nationally ranked Incarnate Word.

That's amazing ... congrats to Hannah and Doc and the rest of the team for taking down previously nationally ranked Incarnate Word.
Any chance you're rethinking the omission of Pinewood and Archbishop Mitty from your national poll?

Pinewood yes this week....Mitty yes next week if they can at least go 3-1
at the TOC...top 5 for Mitty if they win the TOC

It's all about the schedule at this point. If Mitty goes 3-1 at the TOC, they'll be in -- but so far has played no one. Pinewood, on the other hand, won't play another out-of-state team the rest of the year, so it's hard to put them in at this point. And they have two three-point wins over teams with multiple losses. Obviously, the California Open winner will be a strong candidate, but that's a long way away.

Mitty should make it in this week but Pinewood is tough because of the relatively weak schedule. Yes, they play all the good NorCal teams (except SMS) but the Jamboree doesn't have an elite out-of-state team coming in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paytc
It's all about the schedule at this point. If Mitty goes 3-1 at the TOC, they'll be in -- but so far has played no one. Pinewood, on the other hand, won't play another out-of-state team the rest of the year, so it's hard to put them in at this point. And they have two three-point wins over teams with multiple losses. Obviously, the California Open winner will be a strong candidate, but that's a long way away.

Mitty should make it in this week but Pinewood is tough because of the relatively weak schedule. Yes, they play all the good NorCal teams (except SMS) but the Jamboree doesn't have an elite out-of-state team coming in.

Clay,

But if we compound the season Pinewood had last year and add the championship in Hawaii with ( if it happens) an Open Division California state championship over a California team like Windward, Mitty, or someone else winning the Nike TOC ( if that happens) I think Pinewood would have to get serious consideration. Winning the Nike TOC and the California Open state championship would be a lock. Too bad Pinewood didn't enter probably because of finals test and schedule conflict. Mitty has a shot to win both. So does Windward and perhaps a few others. Congratulations Pinewood !

Last edited:
It gets complicated because much of Pinewood's national ranking now depends on how Incarnate Word does, as that's the only real out-of-state reference. If IW goes unbeaten the rest of the way and wins Missouri, then Pinewood's stock rises; but if IW loses a game in Kentucky later on, and doesn't win Missouri, then Pinewood's stock falls.

Other teams are less dependent on one team because they play more events ... and there are also many big events after Christmas.

This is not a knock on Doc Scheppler for not traveling -- he doesn't like it that much (neither do I) -- but the realities of national ranking are what they are. And you know, the national rankings only matter if you think they do. A lot of coaches don't really care that much about rankings, whether national or regional.

PW deserves to be be in the top 25....somewhere between 23 and 25....
The beat a nationally ranked IW by 14 on a neutral court...
Clay it will interesting where you put a a team like Westridge from NC....
a team you have already said holds kids back so they can play an extra year
so they are playing 19 year olds... At She Got Game...they beat SE Raleigh by 7 and a good Blair team...
So do they "deserve" to be in top 25 this week...

Pinewood not only beat IWA, but they did it with Klara Astrom, who was leading the team in ppg, held scoreless.

Westridge reclassifies so is not eligible for the X25. Mitty got the nod this week because of strength of schedule. We'll see how it plays out.

I'm not sold yet ... the win over Incarnate Word is big, but neither Pinewood nor Incarnate Word will play another nationally ranked team in the regular season. And Pinewood will not play another out-of-state team.

The three-point win over 1-5 Bishop O'Dowd is not a resume-builder either.

So for me, Pinewood needs to keep winning, hope Salesian wins its last two at the TOC, and then beat Salesian Jan. 26. (A big win over Carondelet would be helpful too.)

I have a lot of respect for Doc and his team, but national rankings lean heavily on strength of schedule and Pinewood's is far from exceptional.

I'm not sold yet ... the win over Incarnate Word is big, but neither Pinewood nor Incarnate Word will play another nationally ranked team in the regular season. And Pinewood will not play another out-of-state team.

So for me, Pinewood needs to keep winning, hope Salesian wins its last two at the TOC, and then beat Salesian Jan. 26. (A big win over Carondelet would be helpful too.)

I have a lot of respect for Doc and his team, but national rankings lean heavily on strength of schedule and Pinewood's is far from exceptional.

It's very odd that SOS is typically considered a factor but only when Norcal teams are ranked ( but only if they don't go to the TOC) Yet teams like schools in Texas, Paul V11, Riverdale ( a few years back when they missed a flight or some other excuse couldn't make the TOC) and others, are still considered the top schools in the nation with an even weaker SOS than Pinewood will end up playing by season's end. When we consider Hawaii, WCJ, many of the top California teams on their regular and pre season schedule, and ending with the tough California Open Division state tournament. But I know some schools like schools in Texas and other self proclaimed super tough competition states don't have to even leave their state, womb, or home court advantages. Because it's not necessary. And just not comfortable or convenient for them. That makes sense LOL........

Pinewood might keep winning. But I'm not sure Salesian is gonna beat St. Johns today at 1pm who loss a nail bitter to Miami Country D yesterday and most likely will be in rebound mode.

Lets say Windward wins the Nike TOC and Pinewood beats Windward at the WCJ and/or for the California Open division State championship? Wouldn't that be impressive? Or is that only impressive if teams from Texas, Paul V1, Riverdale, and others outside of California who do even less SOS go undefeated?

Last edited:
The only time strength of schedule doesn't come into play is for those teams that are limited travel-wise by finances and/or state rules.

As for that one year with Riverdale, I was not happy naming them No. 1, but they were unbeaten, Tennessee was strong that year and they did play some out-of-state games. PVI plays in the toughest league in the country and also plays some major events.

If Pinewood goes unbeaten, not only will they be in the top 25, they'll be in the discussion for the national title, because they will have won California's Open. And if they beat Carondelet and Salesian, they will move into the the top 25, I would imagine, and then be poised to move up if they keep winning. But right now, they have the one good win, though winning the Platinum at the Jamboree would also be a big plus.

Southern California is stronger, as is usually the case, as Redondo Union's win over SMS shows pretty definitively. And even though O'Dowd didn't have Holland, note that Long Beach Poly is 4-4 and lost to Etiwanda and Mater Dei badly, so the Jackrabbits are not elite.

Eventually, the discussion about Pinewood will be settled on the court, luckily, and it would be great to see them roll through the rest of the schedule and challenge for No. 1.

The only time strength of schedule doesn't come into play is for those teams that are limited travel-wise by finances and/or state rules.

As for that one year with Riverdale, I was not happy naming them No. 1, but they were unbeaten, Tennessee was strong that year and they did play some out-of-state games. PVI plays in the toughest league in the country and also plays some major events.

If Pinewood goes unbeaten, not only will they be in the top 25, they'll be in the discussion for the national title, because they will have won California's Open. And if they beat Carondelet and Salesian, they will move into the the top 25, I would imagine, and then be poised to move up if they keep winning. But right now, they have the one good win, though winning the Platinum at the Jamboree would also be a big plus.

Southern California is stronger, as is usually the case, as Redondo Union's win over SMS shows pretty definitively. And even though O'Dowd didn't have Holland, note that Long Beach Poly is 4-4 and lost to Etiwanda and Mater Dei badly, so the Jackrabbits are not elite.

Eventually, the discussion about Pinewood will be settled on the court, luckily, and it would be great to see them roll through the rest of the schedule and challenge for No. 1.

Bishop Odowd not having Jada Holland is not just a small thing. She is the engine that helps drive and push that team and presents major concerns and problems for opponents. So without her outcomes aren't gonna necessarily be the same, not even close IMO.

And the injuries SMS is going through is not helping them in a season where they are already short on experience and depth.

I can agree Southern California teams have and usually are a bit better than a lot of Norcal teams. But Norcal has had some success in the past winning state championships at the Open level all the way down to D-5 etc....

I agree we'll have to see how the cards line up and let the chips fall in place based on a few major results.

Last edited:

But IW was ranked and if they would have beaten PW by 2-3 they would still be ranked. But you probably had Mitty over Pinewood even after their head to head loss.

Yep to say Salesian's performance today effected PW is not fair...
I am sure St John was really upset about losing to a good MCD yesterday...
SJ was going to be tough for anybody to beat today and so St Johns
destroys Salesian by 32....

Yep to say Salesian's performance today effected PW is not fair...
I am sure St John was really upset about losing to a good MCD yesterday...
SJ was going to be tough for anybody to beat today and so St Johns
destroys Salesian by 32....

Not to take anything away from Miami Country D but St. John's also let that game get away from them down the stretch. Their young star tried to force it to prove a point that wasn't really necessary. But young players sometimes make young decisions. But I saw it coming that Salesian was gonna run into a focused St. Johns who were definitely capable of winning it all. I didn't see a 30 point win. But not surprised they beat Salesian after losing to MCD.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT