ADVERTISEMENT

Final Sacto 51 Etiwanda 48

becoolpt55

Hall of Famer
Aug 20, 2017
San Jose
PW chances hurt by not getting to play a 10-1 team....
EW is scrappy...as the Socal guys say....Sacto was scrappier

PW chances hurt by not getting to play a 10-1 team....
EW is scrappy...as the Socal guys say....Sacto was scrappier

Are you serious !

Clay is a genius. I guess he knew better than the folks in Las Vegas who had Sacramento as the biggest under dog in the tournament. But as I did say....." that's why they play the game" and "like lotto you've gotta be in it to win it"

Congratulations Sacramento !

How did Pinewood do vs Alemany? I just saw Pinewood 68 to Alemany 34.

How is Carondelet doing? I saw Clovis North was up 32 to 28 at half time.

Clovis North up 45 to 43 going into the 4th. It's a battle going on with too many ties and lead changes to count. CLet 58 Clovis North 55 final !

Last edited:
That Sacramento win is huge! Congrats. Good for Sacramento area teams.

It helped Pinewood, Carondelet, and others move up on the Max Prep ( and probably other polls) state and national polls. As well as it helped Sacramento move up I'm sure.

Not sure why people are surprised. Sac is tough along with plenty other sac area teams. The disrespect is a little much from norcal preps. Mind as well call it bayarea preps :)

Not sure why people are surprised. Sac is tough along with plenty other sac area teams. The disrespect is a little much from norcal preps. Mind as well call it bayarea preps :)

Actually Sacramento didn't really have anything on their resume that stood out as an indicator they were gonna beat a team Max Prep had ranked 2nd in the state and 2nd in the nation. Now I know Max Prep and most of the ranking polls are always way off. But still most had Sacramento as a long shot to win the game that I hear they rallied from double digits behind to win. Awesome for them ! I personally don't know much about the team. I know Walters is a solid guard and I think their guard play overall is solid. These days when most folks think about the power teams in Norcal it's typically Mitty, Pinewood, SMS, Salesian, Odowd etc...

Etiwanda had previuosly beaten Redondo Union, Mater Dei, Long Beach Poly, and La Jolla C.D., etc.... All teams from their backyard that they are familiar with and know how to game plan for. And it's why I've always said traveling and playing unknown teams is much harder to prepare for.

So I don't think it was intentional to not credit teams from the Sacramento area. I know Sacramento has had state champs before but I don't think they've had a top Open Division contender yet. This might be a good year for Sacramento and others to get their shine on. Best wishes to them and all Norcal teams to keep getting better.

Last edited:
This EW hurts PW chances for getting into the top 25....
PW needed to come into the Semi and then they needed to beat them
...of course Clay does the 25 so he might give PW credit for winning the thing

This EW hurts PW chances for getting into the top 25....
PW needed to come into the Semi and then they needed to beat them
...of course Clay does the 25 so he might give PW credit for winning the thing

That or Pinewood might go on to win the Open Division California State championship that they were runner-ups in last season. And possibly running the table ( obviously they haven't done it yet) just might give them an impressive enough body of work to not only make it into the top 25 but into the top 10 or perhaps even higher. All depending on what other top teams do or don't do.

Last edited:
If Pinewood finishes the season unbeaten, it will have won the California Open title, and will be a top ten team nationally, or perhaps even top three.

The problem right now is strength of schedule ... the biggest win is over Incarnate Word, which has two out-of-state games left, against good but not great Kentucky teams, and Incarnate Word's strength of schedule is 12.9. Pinewood's is 19.5, which is very good, but there's no signature win.

For Pinewood, it will come down to postseason ... assuming there are no stumbles along the way.

Reactions: Paytc
If Pinewood finishes the season unbeaten, it will have won the California Open title, and will be a top ten team nationally, or perhaps even top three.

The problem right now is strength of schedule ... the biggest win is over Incarnate Word, which has two out-of-state games left, against good but not great Kentucky teams, and Incarnate Word's strength of schedule is 12.9. Pinewood's is 19.5, which is very good, but there's no signature win.

For Pinewood, it will come down to postseason ... assuming there are no stumbles along the way.

I would also think if other top teams stumble or don't finish as strong that would also impact Pinewood's end of the season ranking if they do indeed run the table which won't be easy. Despite not having traveled to the Nike TOC or having as strong a SOS as say Windward, St. Johns, or MCD who did attend the TOC and therefore may end up with a more impressive end of the season (SOS) body of work. Depending on how those teams and other top teams finish out the season one would think should also have an impact.

Last edited:
It is going to be interesting to keep an eye on Sacramento. Their matchup today with Pinewood obviously won't be easy for them.
But win or lose they will have another challenge to further prove themselves when they face either Salesian or Carondelet. Then they have a game with Mitty @ Mitty 1/5/19. Those three games should all be interesting. And will tell us more about the run at the post season Sacramento will be making. Mitty has a game today against Prairie of Vancouver Wa. who is undefeated yet not sure they've been tested like Mitty will test them. A few good games on tap today at the WCJ in several of the divisions. Hopefully they are competitive yet no injuries.

Signature win? How about over a top 25 team? By double digits?

Reactions: Pbacoach
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT