ADVERTISEMENT

Way Too Early CCS Predictions

TheHillZ

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2018
Last year was a down year for the section, with the notable exception of NorCal Champ AMHS. I'd expect considerable improvement this year, though I haven't seen anybody play and don't know who might be hurt/ineligible.

CCS Open Teams
Mitty - second five would probably qualify; will waltz to WCAL title
Pinewood - deep and talented, if healthy
SHC - battle-tested seniors will carry the load
Priory - injured big is back, and transfers add to young core
Los Gatos - top public; lots of size
SI - a lot returning from last year's open team.
St. Francis - DII champs a year ago, will be better
Riordan - new league competition will boost SOS.

Knocking on the Door
Crystal - last year's Cinderella has a trio of talented seniors, but won't sneak up on folks.
Evergreen - everyone returns from a 20-win team.
Menlo - new coach inherits two WBAL 1st teamers
Branham - true post is a huge advantage

So I Can Say I Told You So
Alisal
Fremont

Last edited:
It will be good for CCS girls hoops to see Pinewood back up there with Mitty. Knowing how Doc operates it won't be long. With SHC making a resurgence it could get interesting along with Priority and SI. I don't see Valley Christian listed or Menlo? They are both normally strong every year.

Menlo has a strong one-two punch, but it's going to need other girls to take a big step forward to compete for an Open spot.

Valley had a tough run last year. They were only .500 and lost several seniors. I'd be surprised if they are in the conversation.

Menlo has a strong one-two punch, but it's going to need other girls to take a big step forward to compete for an Open spot.

Valley had a tough run last year. They were only .500 and lost several seniors. I'd be surprised if they are in the conversation.
Oh wow. I guess I must be confused when from the year before that when Valley Christian San Jose gave Mitty a run for their money.

Reactions: TheHillZ
Crystal Springs lost an impact freshman from last season as she transferred and will be playing for Pinewood this upcoming season. It’s a big loss for the team so the senior trio will have an uphill climb this season.

Crystal Springs lost an impact freshman from last season as she transferred and will be playing for Pinewood this upcoming season. It’s a big loss for the team so the senior trio will have an uphill climb this season.
The amount of transfers to Pinewood is amazing.

Well, it seems he tends to have less talent than Mitty and a few others…. so that’s the rep he gets.

Will she have to sit out for the year? She should right?

Last year was a down year for the section, with the notable exception of NorCal Champ AMHS. I'd expect considerable improvement this year, though I haven't seen anybody play and don't know who might be hurt/ineligible.

CCS Open Teams

Knocking on the Door
Crystal - last year's Cinderella has a trio of talented seniors, but won't sneak up on folks.

Alisal
Fremont
Fremont of Oakland or Sunnyvale?

Fremont of Sunnyvale. The Firebirds.

They won 13 in a row last year, including all 12 in league, to close out the regular season. But just realized they were playing in the lower division of the SCVAL, and now have to move up in class. Still should be competitive.

Well, it seems he tends to have less talent than Mitty and a few others…. so that’s the rep he gets.
He does compete with a less talented roster than some of the big names. But he does get transfers to help with that every season.

Doc usually has three or four college players on his team, and often a P4 or two.

And he's a really good coach.

so he doesnt get the 3 girls who are 6'3 (mitty) the 4 girls with long arms and lots of leaping ability (st. marys, odowd, salesian) but he has 4 girls who can do what he likes to do best. press, and shot 3's.
i wouldnt say he has less, just different. which is really effective in girls basketball.

Reactions: kiddman32
Recently, nobody's had the depth or talent of Mitty. Everybody else puts together the best program they can, going with their own philosophy and available players.

Generally that means programs will build to a couple of very strong years, and then fade back for a couple to reload.

so he doesnt get the 3 girls who are 6'3 (mitty) the 4 girls with long arms and lots of leaping ability (st. marys, odowd, salesian) but he has 4 girls who can do what he likes to do best. press, and shot 3's.
i wouldnt say he has less, just different. which is really effective in girls basketball.
I don't think it's a question of more or less, he runs a great system that has beaten tougher rosters (on paper). With that said, he does benefit from the transfer portal.

It's important to note that the so-called CCS transfer portal usually works in just one primary direction: Public to private/parochial. There are a few transfers within the private/parochial setup. Rarely do we see the publics benefit from significant transfers from the private/parochials. That's the nature of the CCS girls' hoops condition. CCS is unique in NorCal with not one but two very competitive private/parochial leagues that strip the publics of the majority of the top talent in the section _ and, on occasion, even from outside the section. It's not pretty. A CCS public has not won, or even played for, a CIF championship in 35 years, even in the New Age of Equity.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaliHoops23

I have to say Its less and that is no discredit to any Pinewood hooper. Sue Phillips at Mitty can usually rotate 9-10 deep throughout the entire game consistently while Doc "maybe" has a solid 7. Mitty has multiple D1 girls every year because of their size and athleticism. Not taking away from the girls Pinewood but Mitty girls usually outmatch Pinewood. But Pinewood has players they are just usually small. But I have a feeling this year Doc is coming back with a vengeance if he can bring in the right pieces.

It's important to note that the so-called CCS transfer portal usually works in just one primary direction: Public to private/parochial. There are a few transfers within the private/parochial setup. Rarely do we see the publics benefit from significant transfers from the private/parochials. That's the nature of the CCS girls' hoops condition. CCS is unique in NorCal with not one but two very competitive private/parochial leagues that strip the publics of the majority of the top talent in the section _ and, on occasion, even from outside the section. It's not pretty. A CCS public has not won, or even played for, a CIF championship in 35 years, even in the New Age of Equity.
This year is a bit unique - Mills got a strong transfer from a private and M-A got a transfer from Pinewood of all places.

Fremont of Sunnyvale. The Firebirds.

They won 13 in a row last year, including all 12 in league, to close out the regular season. But just realized they were playing in the lower division of the SCVAL, and now have to move up in class. Still should be competitive.
Fremont got two players that transferred from Mitty last season. They had to sit out the preseason, so it was no coincidence that Fremont started winning when they became eligible.

CCS Open Teams

Knocking on the Door

Alisal
Fremont
who got the menlo job?

Fremont got two players that transferred from Mitty last season. They had to sit out the preseason, so it was no coincidence that Fremont started winning when they became eligible.
Fremont won its season opener against Hillsdale 50-19. Hillsdale was a D4 CCS finalist last year (but lost quite a bit to graduation).

Last edited:

CCS Open Teams

Knocking on the Door

Alisal
Fremont
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

These are looking pretty good halfway through the season. Max Preps has Monta Vista in the mix at 8-1. The only one missing from the top 8 is Priory, but that's going to change when it's transfers start to play. SHC has managed to stay highly relevant despite losing one of its senior stars. And Mitty is somehow better than people imagined.

Additional Notes:

Alisal is going to finish with a gaudy record (maybe 19-2?), but given its SOS, it won't be enough to crack into the open division.

Evergreen Valley scheduled up this year and been in every game, but they're going to need a terrific league run to turn heads for the postseason.

Pioneer had a solid win over St. Francis before running into the Goliaths of Gatos. They'll surprise some other teams as the season progresses.

Menlo Atherton (6-4) will take a big step forward if/when its two transfers become eligible.

Last edited:
8/8 on the preseason open predictions. https://cifccs.org/Playoffs/results...l_Open_Division_Pools_and_Schedules_Girls.pdf

But this seeding is silly. Priory may not have been an open team until beating Pinewood last night. And now they're the #3 seed ahead of Pinewood? Come on guys. Priory is 15-9 with a loss at home to Pinewood (seeded #4) by 30, and a loss to Salesian (whom Pinewood beat by 30). Pinewood is 19-5

Last edited:
Doc gets players..don't fall for the he does more with less narrative. He's an excellent coach and when he does get his P5 type girls he can go toe2toe with the Mitty's and SMS great teams of the past.

Unless foreign National Team players and Pac12 players dont count as talent..lol

8/8 on the preseason open predictions. https://cifccs.org/Playoffs/results...l_Open_Division_Pools_and_Schedules_Girls.pdf

But this seeding is silly. Priory may not have been an open team until beating Pinewood last night. And now they're the #3 seed ahead of Pinewood? Come on guys. Priory is 15-9 with a loss at home to Pinewood (seeded #4) by 30, and a loss to Salesian (whom Pinewood beat by 30). Pinewood is 19-5

Totally agree. Is it possible that they thought Alex was going to be out through playoffs and thus gave them a lower seed? The team did seem lost without her last night.

Does it really matter all that much in the final analysis? Mitty will treat these playoffs as tuneup scrimmages anyway All eight units will proceed to NorCals.

Does it really matter all that much in the final analysis? Mitty will treat these playoffs as tuneup scrimmages anyway All eight units will proceed to NorCals.
I think so because everyone else is playing for second and if you’re in the same pool with Mitty, that ain’t happening. Had Pinewood beat Priory last night, I think they would have been the 2 seed. Instead they somehow dropped to 4 behind Priory and in the same pool as Mitty.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT