ADVERTISEMENT

Folsom looking for big games next year !

Here is the entire quote..."

Coach Richardson and lead assistant Bobby Fresques are scrambling for nonleague games to challenge their club, but that’s often easier said than done as some teams may have a Week 1 and 3 opening while others have a Week 2 and 4 opening.

“I keep telling Kris, ‘We gotta find someone big on our schedule!’” Fresques said. “We tried to schedule De La Salle, but the openings don’t fit. It could take two or three years to get them in.”

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/high-school/joe-davidson/article190187189.html
I am pretty sure if there was a strong enough will, they would find a way to make it work. Schedules can be changed. Not giving up hope. Confident Folsom will make it happen.

Just a question for everyone that wants Folsom to play a "National Schedule". I would love to hear how Folsom will pay for it and how that gets organized.

I don't think reasonable folk are expecting them to fly out to GA or FLA or NJ. This is starting to get skewed a bit.

The main criticism and expectation is that they could organize and schedule the same types of games that Grant Union, Del Oro, Granite Bay, Sacramento, Pittsburg, St. Mary's, etc. all have. There's no chance those programs are that much more financed or resourceful than Folsom. If they can make it happen, certainly Folsom can too.

If Folsom can find a way to convince a Nat'l or State power to come to them (if they can't afford to travel themselves) so much the better.

Centennial-Corona is a public program that doesn't have the means to travel much, but they seem be able to find and schedule games against top tier opponents.

It can be done.

Last edited:
Contact ESPN and ask them for money? Do you read the news? They laid off 150 employees earlier this year, then 100 more right before Christmas, and now their CEO just resigned. I highly doubt they are looking for places to drop extra cash.

There are no magic sponsors that are going to pay for the travel. Not ESPN, nor anyone else. They tried the regional big games on ESPN and the crowds were not there - and that is why you don't really see them anymore.
I disagree. Folsom has plenty of businesses in the area that the team can turn to in order to help fund their travel needs. All it takes is effort. I keep hearing about the big pockets in Folsom. Time for the community and these businesses to step up! Maybe it won't be ESPN (this was just an example). But, despite the layoffs, last I checked, ESPN is still on the air and they still sponsor high school football on an annual basis. Patrons only watch the big games. Guarantee if DLS vs Folsom was on ESPN, people all over NorCal will be watching this game. Heck, I will.

If Del Oro can do it (travel and raise funds to travel), and Folsom was able to travel to San Diego before, I am confident Folsom will get it done again. Where there is a will, there is a way. Let's not use travel expense as an excuse. This is not Stagg High or Franklin High from Stockton. This is Folsom! C'mon Bulldogs ... STEP UP!!!

Reactions: RidgeRider
That would be a great and fun match up Junkie! Great info. Unfortunately, I don't see Folsom scheduling anyone from GA next year. They have enough challenges in CA.

How fun is this and how lucky are We? Such great football to be played.

Junkie- I will have to look you up. I drove through Gwinnett County for work last month. Didn't realize you were out there. I enjoy your insight.

Go NorCal!
Appreciate bro. You will not find a straighter shooter on this board. You can bank that.

The Junkie.

Reactions: thekingera
Read my post again, please. I referenced Del Oro, as well. Last I checked, Del Oro is a public school. Maybe check with their athletic office, then?

LOL! Folsom, one of the richest cities in NorCal, as bragged about all over NorCalPreps by the Folsom homies, can't afford to help their football team travel? Wow! Yet, Stockton is the ghetto and magically can afford to travel, although many of St. Mary's parents already scrape to make ends meet and spend a ton of $ on tuition, books, etc., and even an annual athletic fee (if child participates in sports), for which they receive ZERO reimbursement from the government. Again, you make it sound like the $ falls from the sky. Wrong! St. Mary's conduct fundraisers just like every school, private or public, does. Yes, St. Mary's has their share of fundraising car washes, Scrip (shopping), and other fundraising events. The football team and other sports programs create a program (magazine) in which students and parents reach out to the community for sponsors, and also sell these programs at the home games. Maybe sit on the home side and buy one the next time you are at a St. Mary's game. St. Mary's even has a Texas Hold'em fundraising poker tournament. At each annual sports awards night for some of the teams, St. Mary's also conducts a silent auction fundraiser. In fact, in my den is a player autographed team picture of the 2008 section championship football team (my younger son was on), in which I won via silent auction for $ I donated. Maybe St. Mary's is little more creative, but I doubt it. But, I can guarantee that the parents have to pay extra $ or find ways to fundraise more so because they do not get any subsidies from the government. All it takes is a team parent(s) to help drive this effort. I'm confident Folsom has their share of very good team parents. It's called hard work, not entitlement.

Not saying the 16-0 season capped with the state D1AA title isn't good enough, quite the contrary. But, for those Folsom fans who complain their team does not get to play for the state Open championship, I and others here are simply stating it's time for Folsom to STEP UP! Don't step up, then don't complain. St. Mary's won section and NorCal region last year at the D1AA level, and playing SJB last year helped when it came to the playoffs even though they took a beaten. Had St. Mary's had not lost key players to injury or had played with injured key players, everyone knows that they would have presented a better challenge. Playing Mater Dei did not handi-cap them; unrelated injuries did.

BTW, the Rams did not lose any players from scheduling Mater Dei. No, they lost their QB during the very first game vs Serra @ home. Other players along the way were injured in other games. Risk of injures are part of the season. Unfortunate for St. Mary's whose student body is around 1/2 the size of Folsom's does not have the same depth for their football team to be able to recover and play in the playoffs at full strength when hit with the injury bug. Attendance boundary? Wow! Sounds like St. Mary's should have 4 times the # of students attending their school than any public school in the area. Brookside Christian is another private school in Stockton. I'm pretty sure they have the same attendance boundary as St. Mary's. Hmm? Central Catholic in Modesto has open boundaries, too. Yet, their enrollment is less than a 1/4 that of the public schools in the area. I guess St. Mary's and Central Catholic only take students who are outstanding atheletes/football players, like its a checkbox on the admissions application. LOL! Nope, it's not! And feeder programs? WTH! St. Mary's is one of the last high schools in the area to have feeder programs. The public schools have had feeder programs for so much longer. Heck, my sons played for the South Stockton Vikings before they attended St. Mary's, and they did not attend St. Mary's for football. We never looked at the South Stockton Vikings as a feeder program for our sons. They played the sport because they enjoyed it, not because they were preparing to play football at the high school level. In fact, both sons could have played water polo, having swam for the local clubs. They chose football. And the real reason they chose football their freshman year was because they heard this would be the sport where they would meet most of their fellow classmates. It wasn't to win championships or to some day be a pro football player. They attended St. Mary's for so much more. #1 priority for attending St. Mary's was academics along with continued religious education, followed by the sense of community this schools is known for, with sports being the lowest priority. You ask any St. Mary's parent and I can guarantee NONE of them expect their student to become a professional athlete. In fact, if you attend the orientation event for the student's sports program, one of the first things you will hear is that your child has a better chance of winning the lotto than becoming a pro athlete. Sure there is much pride in the sports programs at St. Mary's, but it is far from the top priority as to why the parents send their son/daughter to this school. And, NO! There is not an endless funding at this school. Heck, this is Stockton! Parents, coaches, work hard to raise $ for their athletic programs. You are NUTS to think otherwise.
Solid post bulldogmgc. And yes Folsom and Colquitt County can start a Gofundme account for this game and they'll have most of the money by the start of next year. Especially If Richardson got on the horn and contacted coach Propst asap. I'm sure Propst will work with Richardson as well as help him with flights and room & board discounts. For those that are saying this is too expensive, it's not if you plan it out right and take advantage of all the discounts and sponsors that would give you money to play this game. Sponsors like Gatorade/Powerade, Nike, Under Armour and so on and so on would jump on board in some capacity. Contact NFL alums from both schools and have them donate $5,000 to $10,000 to the football programs. There are so many ways to raise money it ain't funny. Stop with the "it's too much money" sad excuse. It's not if you want to make a name for yourself. I've always had a problem with people that tell me I can't do something. I prove them wrong every time on GP. Sounds like Indy needs to say, "yes we can or start believing they can", a bit more. And let me add this to the pie. If Folsom did a fund raiser for this game (car wash) I would definitely put $20 in the pot and I'll wash my own car. And I'm sure many folks in the Sacramento/Folsom Region would do the same.

The Junkie

Last edited:
Just a question for everyone that wants Folsom to play a "National Schedule". I would love to hear how Folsom will pay for it and how that gets organized. Are any of the posters offering to cover cost? You can probably get a flight to ATLANTA for $250-$300 per person. Maybe get a discount to fly 65 players plus 15 varsity coaches. Gate money can't be used as that goes to the school in the ASB account but I am sure they could get 50%-100% of Snack Bar money but again they would also be paying out of the Football account to cover for a food and beverage purchased.
You could do fundraisers, of course you're now asking a coaching staff that gets about 1 penny a day to coach football and now they will spend their time (more time away from family) and money/gas or time away from work to help form and execute a fundraiser that raises at least $12,000-$13,000 just to cover one game.

I agree, I wish we could snap our fingers and make everyone happy with the schedule. It is just not that easy.

This is Big Bad Folsom we're talking about!

I disagree. Folsom has plenty of businesses in the area that the team can turn to in order to help fund their travel needs. All it takes is effort. I keep hearing about the big pockets in Folsom. Time for the community and these businesses to step up! Maybe it won't be ESPN (this was just an example). But, despite the layoffs, last I checked, ESPN is still on the air and they still sponsor high school football on an annual basis. Patrons only watch the big games. Guarantee if DLS vs Folsom was on ESPN, people all over NorCal will be watching this game. Heck, I will.

If Del Oro can do it (travel and raise funds to travel), and Folsom was able to travel to San Diego before, I am confident Folsom will get it done again. Where there is a will, there is a way. Let's not use travel expense as an excuse. This is not Stagg High or Franklin High from Stockton. This is Folsom! C'mon Bulldogs ... STEP UP!!!
Bulldog makes some good points here. I won't get into levels of afluency ike others have, but I will say that money is no issue whatsoever. As Bulldog pointed out, this isn't some run of the mill public school, relying on car washes and crab feeds for money.

The issue is actually pretty boring. Just have to find one of these big schools to fit schedules together. It's tough. DLS said no and had their own reasons. SJB offered but were not sure if that was an official offer or a social media call out. Hard to say. I do think they will make it happen though. Money is no issue, neither is travel, although they have CA fish to fry before they start thinking of frying east coast fish.

I find it a but funny reading through all these forums. After Folsom wins the 1AA game and during It, all these trolls come on here and say Folsom isn't a top ranked team, blah, blah. Then I'm reading through this forum and I'm reading Folsom should play IMG, BG, SJB, CC, and DLS. Oh, and you should be on ESPN. Contact sponsors immediately! Lol just seems funny to me. Keeps me entertained during the day though. Thanks guys!

Go NorCal!

Reactions: awood1
Folsom, one of the richest cities in NorCal, as bragged about all over NorCalPreps by the Folsom homies, can't afford to help their football team travel?
Travel and money is zero issue as stated. DLS has stated they will not take a game for the next 2 years. Convienent. I think they should cancel whoever they got and take Folsom. Neutral field. National TV game.

One of the Socal schools has to have a week 0 opening or it may not work. Still confident someone steps up. Folsom is actively calling. Just hope someone picks up and accepts. Social media call outs may be next if nothing else works.

Travel and money is zero issue as stated. DLS has stated they will not take a game for the next 2 years. Convienent. I think they should cancel whoever they got and take Folsom. Neutral field. National TV game.

One of the Socal schools has to have a week 0 opening or it may not work. Still confident someone steps up. Folsom is actively calling. Just hope someone picks up and accepts. Social media call outs may be next if nothing else works.

Just curious thekingera, why does it “have to be Week 0”? I know part of the quote from Coach R said they were looking for a Week 0 big game, but does anybody have any clue if that’s out of convenience, or is the rest of their Non League schedule booked already? Where’s FolsomBulldog (Or whatever his name is this week) when we need him?

Just curious thekingera, why does it “have to be Week 0”? I know part of the quote from Coach R said they were looking for a Week 0 big game, but does anybody have any clue if that’s out of convenience, or is the rest of their Non League schedule booked already? Where’s FolsomBulldog (Or whatever his name is this week) when we need him?
To be honest I'm not sure. I would assume that is the week that is free. The others may be booked already. You know most of these non league games are booked a year or two in advance now. I wouldn't think week 0 would be that tough for most teams but apparently most are balking at it. Maybe they don't want to face such a match up in week 0? Not too sure.

Looking forward to Folsom stepping up schedule next year. If they manage to book a game with DLS, does anyone have an analysis of what the Spartans have returning next year?

They have a bunch of smart unrecruited skinny white guys coming back....lol

Really, that was highly disrespectful on so many levels. I've coached a few educated skinny white students that got scholly's to D1 programs. I've also coached a bunch of educated skinny black students that didn't get a D1 scholly either. So what's your point?

The Junkie

Sure. They accepted a game when Browning and Co were all underclassmen..

No they didn’t — they met in playoffs twice when browning was an underclassman — they offered to play when he was a senior but DLS (and Folsom) were both expecting to meet in NorCal Open until the season started

Really, that was highly disrespectful on so many levels. I've coached a few educated skinny white students that got scholly's to D1 programs. I've also coached a bunch of educated skinny black students that didn't get a D1 scholly either. So what's your point?

The Junkie

I think the specialone is kidding, sort of

There are lots of guys that can answer this better than me now, but DLS will bring back 2 elite stud 2-way seniors in Foskey and To’oto’o. I know that everyone is very high on the sophomore RB/ DB Garrett who was injured for SBG and the frosh QB (no offense to some kids that were the best available on campus, but spartan nation is drooling for a QB that can keep defenses honest — an absolute must for success against elite national teams)

Then, the usual collection of kids thespecialone mentioned

Pitt would certainly would be a tremendous 3rd or 4th preseason opponent. But Folsom still need a high profile program (or two) on it's schedule. If they can't get DLS, they need to schedule a legit PAC-5 program or an OOS heavy such as Bishop Gorman or Chandler.

I'd love to see Folsom do something like this:

Week 0: Pittsburg
Week 1: St. John Bosco or Centennial
Week 2: Oakdale
Week 3: De La Salle or Chandler or Bishop Gorman
Most interesting to me is DLS. Richardson needs to wheel and deal to get this game. Gorman would be the next most interesting game because of how physical they are and would tell us something about the quality of Folsom's lines.

All they have to do is call coach Negro @SJB if they are serious

All they have to do is call coach Negro @SJB if they are serious
Word is communication has been rough. Still no word on if the Twitter call out was serious or not. I hope it was and it works out. This game would be fun and a great test for Folsom, win or lose.

Go NorCal!

Does anyone notice, it's the same 3 or 4 posters, along with some other made up names a appearing daily that are only commenting and following Folsom threads in a negative manner? I understand differing opinions, but this is getting weird.

@Streak One is there anything we can do about this? I am being as respectful as possible, with the same people essentially "following me" around these forums. Isn't trolling against the rules? Maybe ignore button?

I think the specialone is kidding, sort of

There are lots of guys that can answer this better than me now, but DLS will bring back 2 elite stud 2-way seniors in Foskey and To’oto’o. I know that everyone is very high on the sophomore RB/ DB Garrett who was injured for SBG and the frosh QB (no offense to some kids that were the best available on campus, but spartan nation is drooling for a QB that can keep defenses honest — an absolute must for success against elite national teams)

Then, the usual collection of kids thespecialone mentioned

Of course I'm kidding..sort of. What DLS does with average athletes is unparraleled. We need to put some of these recruiting stories to bed. Yes they have a few outstanding athletes, but overall they do wonders with average athletes

Reactions: thekingera
Bosco already offered for week 0. Not sure if Folsom had someone already scheduled or not.

I think DLS should opt out of whoever they have scheduled and take Folsom.[/QUOTE

Why didnt Folsom grab this game when they had the chance.....Seems week zero was available for them???

Even better! They held out and got the game everyone wanted to see.

Folsom/DLS week 0 it is!

Look forward to it!

How about Folsom vs Bishop Gorman, IMG, Miami-Central or St. Thomas Aquinas for preseason schedules

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT