ADVERTISEMENT

Folsom sit-out Kids

FLAGRANT

Sports Fanatic
Oct 29, 2014
I was curious if the board could give some insight. I don't want to have any rumors strictly facts if anyone should know. The kids (2 from what I have heard) are both D1 players that come off the sit-out period. Are those juniors Or seniors? Are they in fact D1 guys? I also heard the both of them are also from Reno is the true?

Words get thrown out there, so who knows what's true. But I would like to know.

Not Folsom related, but seems like Reno is turning out some talent lately?? wonder if this is due to influx or Californians moving to Reno in the last decade?

Not Folsom related, but seems like Reno is turning out some talent lately?? wonder if this is due to influx or Californians moving to Reno in the last decade?

Probably has something to do with it for sure. It's kind of a sensitive topic but demographics/gentrification of the surrounding area of a public school does have a tangible impact on the composition of the students attending and the available pool of athletes for not just football but any sport. One example I'll use is Leland-San Jose which in the 80's/90's would churn out CCS Open bracket quality teams year after year. Fast forward 20 years and the demographics of the population of Almaden Valley has changed significantly, and Leland now might make a CCS D2 bracket every couple of years. They don't have as many kids trying out for football and the depth/quality just isn't there anymore.

Reactions: slick58 and MC415
Probably has something to do with it for sure. It's kind of a sensitive topic but demographics/gentrification of the surrounding area of a public school does have a tangible impact on the composition of the students attending and the available pool of athletes for not just football but any sport. One example I'll use is Leland-San Jose which in the 80's/90's would churn out CCS Open bracket quality teams year after year. Fast forward 20 years and the demographics of the population of Almaden Valley has changed significantly, and Leland now might make a CCS D2 bracket every couple of years. They don't have as many kids trying out for football and the depth/quality just isn't there anymore.

Totally agree about Leland I live in Almaden Valley and I hear from locals all the time about this.

They’ve had some talent for a while. I remember back in the day there was a Reno poster on this board. I think it was McQueen. If I’m not mistaken they played a really good Serra team.

Totally agree about Leland I live in Almaden Valley and I hear from locals all the time about this.

It's not just the Almaden Valley. It's the entire spine of CCS along the 101 corridor. Changing demographics, concussion worries, the impact of the private/paroichials (especially the WCAL), other sporting options, etc. It's a new world.

Im sure Thunder could add to this but Casa Roble used to scrimmage Wooster back in the late 80's n early 90's they where state champs or the top team many times (if the memory of an 7yr old is reliable). Wooster was big and was always a great test, I think the Wooster Colts where consider a NV state power back then....

Reactions: ThunderRam
This came to be way off topic. I just want to know who the Folsom sit out kids are? Are they juniors or seniors? What school did they come from?

Im sure Thunder could add to this but Casa Roble used to scrimmage Wooster back in the late 80's n early 90's they where state champs or the top team many times (if the memory of an 7yr old is reliable). Wooster was big and was always a great test, I think the Wooster Colts where consider a NV state power back then....
Ah good ole Wooster HS. Ever been to a game there? Fun place. Always takes me back every time I drive by it when passing through Reno off the freeway. Can't miss the big Wooster on the side of the old gym!

Reactions: slick58
Did some digging today. Please see the link below:

https://usatodayhss.com/2018/super-...-at-forefront-of-trinity-league-transfer-boom

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp...-transfer-school-in-1526926726-htmlstory.html

Transfers by SoCal Trinity League School:

Mater Dei- 71 (article states there is actually more!)
OLU- 63
Santa Margarita- 51
J Serra- 49
SJB- 47
Servite- 26

I think this puts into perspective some of the pettiness for NorCal schools like DLS or Folsom who may have 2-3, if any on any given year. Here we are, throwing stones for 2 or 3 kids moving to attend a public school as freshman (who aren't even considered transfers), when MD is touting more than SEVENTY ONE (legit) transfers this year. Meaning, SEVENTY ONE kids that DID NOT attend that HS as freshman.

We are asking our NorCal schools public and private to "step up" and play the schools above, yet we cry and moan when one of them gets a transfer or two, or parents decide to move prior to the start of HS so their kids won't have to go through the transfer process. Then people throw stones, basically saying- "You have to play these schools! And you must play with homegrown kids or else YOU SUCK! No excuses!" I think this is the most interesting part.

I think this adds some perspective to some of the silliness we have brought upon ourselves on the board, and also lets us know just what we are dealing with down south. The rules are the exact same throughout CA, but as you can tell by the sediment of NorCal fans on this board, the thinking is VERY different. SoCal posters are cheering on the transfer express, while NorCal posters, as a whole, think it is wrong, and lambaste other NorCal schools for even sniffing a transfer!

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Did some digging today. Please see the link below:

https://usatodayhss.com/2018/super-...-at-forefront-of-trinity-league-transfer-boom

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp...-transfer-school-in-1526926726-htmlstory.html

Transfers by SoCal Trinity League School:

Mater Dei- 71 (article states there is actually more!)
OLU- 63
Santa Margarita- 51
J Serra- 49
SJB- 47
Servite- 26

I think this puts into perspective some of the pettiness for NorCal schools like DLS or Folsom who may have 2-3, if any on any given year. Here we are, throwing stones for 2 or 3 kids moving to attend a public school as freshman (who aren't even considered transfers), when MD is touting more than SEVENTY ONE (legit) transfers this year. Meaning, SEVENTY ONE kids that DID NOT attend that HS as freshman.

We are asking our NorCal schools public and private to "step up" and play the schools above, yet we cry and moan when one of them gets a transfer or two, or parents decide to move prior to the start of HS so their kids won't have to go through the transfer process. Then people throw stones, basically saying- "You have to play these schools! And you must play with homegrown kids or else YOU SUCK! No excuses!" I think this is the most interesting part.

I think this adds some perspective to some of the silliness we have brought upon ourselves on the board, and also lets us know just what we are dealing with down south. The rules are the exact same throughout CA, but as you can tell by the sediment of NorCal fans on this board, the thinking is VERY different.

Thoughts?

LOL you do realize the number is for all available sports boys and girls right? Or maybe you don’t

arent all of those schools private? Except Lutheran?

Chandon Pierre- Bishop Manogue High in Reno

I think I have proved my point in the responses above.

http://www.cifsjs.org/coaches_and_administrators/transfereligibility/TransferRulings

Per the link above, a school like Folsom, with a massive enrollment population, shows 9 total transfers for all sports. That would amount to not even HALF of how many Servite is showing at 26, let alone MD with 71!

The SoCal posters are quick to cheer on the train of transfers, yet come on here and shout "Reno express!' for ONE kids that transferred from Reno to this years team (and that kid faced a sit out period). The transfers in the Trinity League are coming into private schools and face no such restrictions- no sit out period! For full transparency, Folsom has 3 other kids from the Reno area, that are not considered transfers, and have attended Folsom all 4 years as freshman.

I think you all get the irony of all this. My point has been made. I am just glad the SoCal guys have found a home, after their SoCalPreps site went down. I love welcoming those that are passionate like me.

For the record- before today, I had no idea how many transfers were occurring down there. I thought it would be 10-12 for the big programs.

Reactions: s2h17 and feedback1

http://www.cifsjs.org/coaches_and_administrators/transfereligibility/TransferRulings

Per the link above, a school like Folsom, with a massive enrollment population, shows 9 total transfers for all sports. That would amount to not even HALF of how many Servite is showing at 26, let alone MD with 71!

The SoCal posters are quick to cheer on the train of transfers, yet come on here and shout "Reno express!' for ONE kids that transferred from Reno to this years team (and that kid faced a sit out period). The transfers in the Trinity League are coming into private schools and face no such restrictions- no sit out period! For full transparency, Folsom has 3 other kids from the Reno area, that are not considered transfers, and have attended Folsom all 4 years as freshman.

I think you all get the irony of all this. My point has been made. I am just glad the SoCal guys have found a home, after their SoCalPreps site went down. I love welcoming those that are passionate like me.

For the record- before today, I had no idea how many transfers were occurring down there. I thought it would be 10-12 for the big programs.

Did you also research how many kids transferred out of MD or any other Trinity school? your point is only half researched.I can tell you the majority of transfers are from one Trinity school to another

Your a homer. That's 5 d1 kids from Reno. Private schools always have waaaaaay more transfers then public schools.

Sounds like a so cal problem if all the top schools have athletes transferring in then these teams are just doing what they must to stay competitive. Atleast they are playing a good schedule and have to compete with the powers of the south. Folsom is getting transfers to beat local public teams. Makes you wonder how much would they compete in the sfl without the extra help we know they struggled in the delta league with folsom bred players

Reactions: ararar

Since you are the only folsom poster on this board and have good knowledge of the program even if it your first handle was created in 2010. I want to ask a serious question how many kids from Reno that you know of has came to the program? I can only think of 5. I know it took you 2 years and a news article to even come out about the 3 that currently start at qb,rb and wr.

Reactions: RidgeRider
Private schools always have waaaaaay more transfers then public schools.

That is not true. Certain private schools have a large number of transfers.
In the SJS, Jesuit and CBS have very few transfers. It's all about the school culture and the admin.

And welcome to the IGNORE list

Private schools always have waaaaaay more transfers then public schools.

That is not true. Certain private schools have a large number of transfers.
In the SJS, Jesuit and CBS have very few transfers. It's all about the school culture and the admin.

And welcome to the IGNORE list

Do you know how easy it is to get into private school. If a kid/parent doesn't like public school his first year then just move him to private. That's considered a transfer. Does he play sports? No, but feels a better fit at private school. Nobody questions the move turn in the paperwork and it's done.

Now, if that EXACT same situation happens at a public school, and the kid wants to move to a different public school that's 15 blocks in the other direction. The family would have to complete a FULL move. With bills, verified address change, etc. Or have to state the reason for switching schools and let the district determine if it's a legitimate reason to move.

Very easy process to go to private school.

I noticed you said "some" and left Capital off your list. Because they have about 7 Del Oro kids "football" and let's not talk about basketball.

Reactions: mistark and s2h17

Yep. I totally remember Wooster. Coach Kenyon used to prop them up as a super team to get us motivated. They used to play a lot of games against the SJS in the 60's, 70's and 80's. I know Nevada Union and even Pittsburg (NCS) played them in the early 80's. A few more I know of were Yuba City, Colfax, Foothill-Sac, Manteca, and Highlands. The Colts were among the top programs from the Reno area and they liked to seek out competition here in the Foothills and Valley.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT