ADVERTISEMENT

FOLSOM----WILL BE HARD TO BEAT

Bluedog2

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2007
Folsom will have a big turn out for the 2016 campaign and this season's team will be fair sized on the line with many guys at 220 plus and mostly Jr.s which looks to be quick and hard hitting....Again, Folsom faces a tough league schedule as all the teams except Nevada Union are up scale fore the 2016 season.
For the preseason, Folsom opens the season on a Saturday again Coeur d'Alene of Idaho on 8-27, but the rest of the preseason doesn't come close to what Del Oro, Rocklin, Oakridge and Granite bay face To beef up the varsity, Folsom has a 8-1-1 JV team to feed off, but to give you an idea what Folsom faces, is the tie was against Granite Bay at 13-13 and the loose was to Del Oro at 14-12., so league play will be hard nosed, hard fought with no let downs....
8-27.....Coeur d' Alene of Idaho.....Home Sat. 7:30 P.M.
9-02.....Jesuit Home 7:30 P.M.
9-09.....Pleasant Grove Away at Shelton High 7:30 P.M.
9-16.....Sacramento Home 7:30 P.M.
9-23.....Woodcreek Home 7:30 P.M.
9-30.....Bye
10-07..Granite Bay Home 7:30 P.M.
10-14..Del Oro Away 7:30 P.M.
10-21..Nevada Union Away 7:30 P.M.
10-28..Rocklin Away 7:30 P.M.
11-04..Oakridge Home 7:30 P.M.

So Bluedog we all know how good Folsom was last season, so where would you rate them in comparison this season - up or down slightly?

So Bluedog we all know how good Folsom was last season, so where would you rate them in comparison this season - up or down slightly?
RMBR26......There is enough of the 2015 team plus the rising JV's to make Folsom hard to beat, but I think the Bulldog victories in most cases won't come easy....Del Oro,Rocklin , Oakridge and Granite Bay are all up for the 2016 season and Del Oro and Rocklin will be the most dangerous, this league for the 2016 season will be one of the most hard fought battles in some time....so, Folsom I think will struggle in league play.....

Folsom has earned the benefit of the doubt and should be considered league and section favorites until someone in the SJS beats them in a meaningful game.

It is hard for some to understand, but great coaching is a predictor of HS football success. A program is successful year after year.. I will be darned if the common denominator aint the coaching staff (especially the HC) 90%+ of the time.

I will be intrigued as to where NCP has Folsom in their early polls after last years ranking.

Yes have read & listened to different discussions over the years as to how much of a teams success is due to the coaching vs the talent of the players on that team. It is recognized that the lower the level of competition the greater the influence of the coaching has on winning/losing. So maybe at a high school level which is one level above Pop Warner the coaching might account for 75% of the teams success. At the next college level with more bigger & faster athletes it drops down to possibly 60% and at the pro level it drops even further possibly to 40% - due to the high caliber of athletes who will play well with or without good coaching [make sense?]. BTW - the figures I'm quoting are debatable and could be adjusted up or down depending on any given siutation as each is different.

I think before they got their super athlete transfer from Rocklin, they would probably be ranked at #2. Rocklin'sbest athlete Evan Michalet, Sr., QB/Safety/DB/WR, 6-1, 180, lefty transfer from Rocklin HS for his senior year. Offers from SJSU, Northern AZ, Sac State. 4.48 40, 10.9 100M. 330 lbs bench are listed stats; Looks like he played multiple positions at Rocklin with QB towards the end. He looks really good throwing the ball in the Folsom offense ....nice spin and accurate and he can take it to the bank rushing or at the least get the first down as it looks like he is fast and tough to tackle. Surprised he doesn't have more offers but maybe due to position changes. They can also put him at WR and have bookend speed threats at WR (with Stallworth) and a speed TE and have soph Kaiden Bennett, 5-11, 160, at QB. Michalet also looks like a very strong DB but looks like will move to safety. Probably a D1 DB/safety.

They also return Ariel Ngata, Sr, 6-4, 215, OLB/TE, 4.6 40; Drake Stallworth, Sr, 6-2, 180, WR/DB, 4.46-4.59 40,who I think should be playing somewhere after this coming season; Eric Davis, Sr, 5-9, 170, WR/DB, 4.6 40; Brad Jenner, Sr, LB, 6-1, 200. Line looks like they have a couple big kids. I would probably still have DelOro first but they will be a battle. Folsom will have more speed and if the new QB gets the offense down which it looks like he could they could take league. Looks like SFL will be a battle. Tough on Rocklin losing such an impact player.

Both DelOro and Folsom look like they both will be very good, especially Folsom offense, however they are beatable. Not elite but very good. Folsom schedule will help them earlyin the season to get it together. ondering if transfer willhave to sit out a few games - not sure about SJ-Sac section transfer rule.

Last edited:
Folsom beat Del Oro 31-0 last year.
Sitting here, in July, it is tough to bet against Folsom vs anyone in the SJS.

And the pipeline will continue. Folsom will get the best incoming freshman QB and his reciever in the area all compliments of the QB camp run at FOLSOM. And they arent evem close to Folsom Then again everyone will lead you to believe all Folsom players are from Folsom

Last edited:
Reactions: Pain's my Game
The Passing Academy is actually at Sacramento State, not Folsom. And it is open to all QB's who wish to attend. I've attended a few of the sessions and there are kids from all over including their SFL rivals. And the coaches are from a variety of programs.

http://passingacademy.com/

Until Folsom demonstrates an ability to lose, they should be considered tops in SFL *and SJS* this year despite losing Troy Taylor on offense - defensively they have been the best too, shutting teams down year after year, they've had the best defense over past 5 years (look at their scores) - tough to think they are not tops this year - only 9 losses in last 7 years against 94 wins - haven't lost to an SFL team in what 5 years? It's not just about their QB, it's the whole package - not a bulldog backer, just love HS football and hard to ignore consistent success.

haven't lost to an SFL team in what 5 years?

They only returned to the SFL 2 years ago. The only notable game they played against an SFL team in the 4 years previous to that was GB in 2013. Most of their games were against Roseville, who isn't in the SFL anymore.

So, in short, it's been 2 years of dominance and only 2 close games.

Folsom beat Del Oro 31-0 last year.

Del Oro also lost to Rocklin 28-3 the very next week. But look at the turnaround when they faced Rocklin 8 weeks later.

If you know anything about DO last year, they weren't very good early on. Much different team by late November and early December.

The way both Folsom and DO were playing late in the year, I would have taken DO in a close one. Their improvement and team confidence was phenomenal.

I wouldn't point to that 31-0 game as a great indicator. If we didn't have the rematch to point at, someone could have said the same thing of the 1st Rocklin game.

Reactions: do6473
I saw Folsom and DO early and late- I didnt see any indication DO could overcome a 5 score difference at the end of the season.

You may recall it was your opinion Folsom would not run through the SFL undefeated last year.

History dictates that the smart money would be on Folsom this year vs DO. I dont see anyone stating DO cant beat Folsom, however the odds must go to Folsom.

Folsom had they hands full with Rocklin. It was 14-13 at the half with Rocklin winning, with Folsoms scoring coming on a pick 6 and a late sweep going 45 yds just before half time. Rocklin was clearly in control of the game. Second half was still close but Folsom adjusted and Rocklin did not with no answer to the QB running the ball......final being 28-14 Folsom but the game was very tight

Reactions: do6473
I saw Folsom and DO early and late- I didnt see any indication DO could overcome a 5 score difference at the end of the season.

I just gave you an indication. DO's 35 point turnaround against Rocklin eight weeks after they got dominated by the Thunder in similar fashion as the Folsom game. Going into the section championship against Rocklin, I'm sure you would have thought the exact same thing about not seeing any indication DO could overcome a 4 score difference --- but they did.

If they overcame a 25-point difference against a league rival in the section finals, why is it so hard to believe that it's at least possible they may have been able to do the same against another league rival? By that time, Folsom had already shown chinks in the armor as most didn't think St. Mary's could compete with them yet managed to hang 49 points and nearly win. Elk Grove came eerily close to beating them a week later. Then 2 weeks later the Bellarmine team that Del Oro came within 1 play of beating actually took Folsom down rather impressively. Folsom was clearly beginning to fade, while Del Oro was peaking.

You may believe the smart money was on Folsom, but those that actually watched the SFL week after week recognize that the difference between the 2 teams come late November/December was quite small. I certainly can't guarantee that Del Oro would have without a doubt won a rematch, but I am 100% confident that the 31 point difference in early October meant nothing. DO was a different team 9 weeks later. Anybody that followed them closely is aware of this. Most key injuries were behind them. Stone Smartt and Cameron Davis breathed life into their offense and Casey Taylor had the defense back to its typical stingy, opportunistic self -- especially the final 4 games.

Had the same Del Oro team that lost to Folsom and Rocklin in consecutive weeks faced Liberty and Camarillo instead -- they would have met a similar fate. That team from October wasn't winning jack.

You may recall it was your opinion Folsom would not run through the SFL undefeated last year.

And what's the relevance? Making a prediction that ended up incorrect doesn't mean I'm wrong about this. Furthermore, I can easily recite false predictions from you over the years, but it has no relevance.

In the end, I provided a clear and factual indication that Del Oro was a much different team late in the year. Their ability to overcome a 4 score difference (35 pt swing) against an opponent that proved to be close to on par with Folsom is as good an indication as anyone could hope to see. You're just choosing not to buy into it. And that's fine.

Last edited:
Folsom had they hands full with Rocklin. It was 14-13 at the half with Rocklin winning, with Folsoms scoring coming on a pick 6 and a late sweep going 45 yds just before half time. Rocklin was clearly in control of the game. Second half was still close but Folsom adjusted and Rocklin did not with no answer to the QB running the ball......final being 28-14 Folsom but the game was very tight

Don't forget, Evyn Holtz fumbled the ball just before crossing the goal line on Rocklin's opening drive of the 2nd half. If he scores there, it's 21-13 Thunder and a different game. Despite that turnover, Rocklin still had Folsom in a 4th down situation deep in their own territory down only 1 score late in the 4th QTR. Jeffrey stepped up big with a game sealing run, but make no mistake -- that was a well contested game.

Had Rocklin played turnover free ball, they probably eek that game out. But they didn't and Folsom capitalized.

Thunder, wow, that is hard to follow/swallow. Folsom BLEW OUT Del Oro - shut them out. But somehow Del Oro would have won a rematch because they played better against Rocklin the second time? Like Del Oro had different players or different coaches? Who says a second DO-Folsom game wouldn't have been a bigger blow-out the second time?

Never mind that Folsom beat the best teams in the section for the D1 section title. Never mind that for the first time, ALL of seven of the D1 league winners were required to play in the D1 bracket, so D2 was depleted. And that the section playoff format was changed so that the SFL was granted a 4th automatic entry - which turned out to be a 4-6 Del Oro team that beat a Granite Bay team (that was already in the playoffs) by 3 points.

Maybe you also forgot that Folsom beat Oak Ridge - who beat Del Oro. And Folsom beat Granite Bay by 2 touchdowns, while DO beat them by 3 the first time, and 8 the second time 'when DO was a completely different team'.

What I love is these 2 sentences: "Making a prediction that ended up incorrect doesn't mean I'm wrong about this. Furthermore, I can easily recite false predictions from you over the years, but it has no relevance." So you were wrong before, but you are right now. Then you deflect. That's awesome. You might what to add a "Yeah, but still . . . . " since it negates whatever is said that contradicts you and will leave you a winner of every discussion.

I just gave you an indication. DO's 35 point turnaround against Rocklin eight weeks after they got dominated by the Thunder in similar fashion as the Folsom game. Going into the section championship against Rocklin, I'm sure you would have thought the exact same thing about not seeing any indication DO could overcome a 4 score difference --- but they did.

If they overcame a 25-point difference against a league rival in the section finals, why is it so hard to believe that it's at least possible they may have been able to do the same against another league rival? By that time, Folsom had already shown chinks in the armor as most didn't think St. Mary's could compete with them yet managed to hang 49 points and nearly win. Elk Grove came eerily close to beating them a week later. Then 2 weeks later the Bellarmine team that Del Oro came within 1 play of beating actually took Folsom down rather impressively. Folsom was clearly beginning to fade, while Del Oro was peaking.

You may believe the smart money was on Folsom, but those that actually watched the SFL week after week recognize that the difference between the 2 teams come late November/December was quite small. I certainly can't guarantee that Del Oro would have without a doubt won a rematch, but I am 100% confident that the 31 point difference in early October meant nothing. DO was a different team 9 weeks later. Anybody that followed them closely is aware of this. Most key injuries were behind them. Stone Smartt and Cameron Davis breathed life into their offense and Casey Taylor had the defense back to its typical stingy, opportunistic self -- especially the final 4 games.

Had the same Del Oro team that lost to Folsom and Rocklin in consecutive weeks faced Liberty and Camarillo instead -- they would have met a similar fate. That team from October wasn't winning jack.

And what's the relevance? Making a prediction that ended up incorrect doesn't mean I'm wrong about this. Furthermore, I can easily recite false predictions from you over the years, but it has no relevance.

In the end, I provided a clear and factual indication that Del Oro was a much different team late in the year. Their ability to overcome a 4 score difference (35 pt swing) against an opponent that proved to be close to on par with Folsom is as good an indication as anyone could hope to see. You're just choosing not to buy into it. And that's fine.

Much of your premise is based on Rocklin being on par with Folsom..... no- Rocklin does not = Folsom.

The part about the first game last year meant "100% nothing" really sums up your position beautifully.

At least you are consistent tho- You have used that goofy logic in the past.

Remind me of my false predictions.

Thunder, wow, that is hard to follow/swallow.

If it's hard for you to follow, that's on you. Can't be simplified or explained any clearer. If you disagree, that's one thing. But I clearly stated my reasoning and pointed to an example that supported the possibility.

Folsom BLEW OUT Del Oro - shut them out. But somehow Del Oro would have won a rematch because they played better against Rocklin the second time.

Again, Rocklin BLEW OUT Del Oro also. The week after Folsom did it. Held them to 3 points, which isn't a helluva lot more than 0. But Del Oro did win a rematch 8 week later when they were playing much better.

As I've said twice now, you guys surely would be saying the exact same things about a potential rematch w/ Rocklin had we not had the benefit of seeing the 2nd match up actually play out.

So let me ask you this. Since Del Oro factually proved that the 25-point loss was a fluke or merely a bad day 8 weeks later against the same team -- a team that reached the section finals no less -- why is it so hard to follow/swallow? Riddle me that.

Much of your premise is based on Rocklin being on par with Folsom..... no- Rocklin does not = Folsom..

According to you. Meanwhile, there are others that follow the SFL regularly and were actually at the game that don't share your opinion. You wouldn't know. You didn't see them play. The game was on Thursday night and wasn't streamed anywhere. WWHS just told you the the same thing. That the game was fairly even.

Have whatever opinion you want. It's clear that you are basing it off assumptions and prior history. Yet you accuse me of having goofy logic. I actually attend these games and know the teams really well. You don't.

At least you are consistent tho- You have used that goofy logic in the past.

Remind me of my false predictions.

Paul, spare us all the snarky BS. Disagree all you want. However once you feel the need to try to belittle, it's apparent you've got no real point. I given you reasons and examples. The example I gave you clearly shows that it's more than possible Del Oro was a different team late in the year and could have given Folsom a competitive game. I happen to think they could have won a close game. You don't. No problem. However, your closed mind won't allow you to even acknowledge that possibility. But I'm not shocked at all.

Odd thing is, despite what you'll say now after the fact, I'm quite certain that in any of DLS's blowout losses to Bosco or Aquinas, etc., you'd be the 1st homer up on the hill selling the idea that the game would be different if they played again in December. Tell me I'm wrong again.

Maybe you also forgot that Folsom beat Oak Ridge - who beat Del Oro.

No, I didn't forget that.

I also didn't forget that Del Oro fared better against Bellarmine than Folsom did. I wonder how that could have possibly happened.

it's more than possible Del Oro was a different team late in the year and could have given Folsom a competitive game. .

if you would have started with this statement there wouldnt have been much of an argument from me. I simply stated Folsom would have been the clear favorite late last year and they are the clear favorite in July of 2016 for the upcoming game.

Adding that DO's in season improvement is equivalent to a typical DLS team is another difficult statement to swallow.

Two things for sure: the outcomes are decided by the scores and we are all entitled to our opinions! Until Folsom consistently loses to anyone (9 losses in 7 years!) and DO figures out how to defend the spread attack, Folsom gets the nod -- just one fan's opinion!

Reactions: Bubba3000
Granite Bay looks like they have some size. They did a 7x7 at Palma High in Salinas today and had some huge kids out there. I believe GB does a team building event in Monterey the last couple years.

NorCal how did GB look overall? Any local 7x7s? Heard Rocklin was at one recently, never hear much about Folsom, would like to make one before the season starts.

Here is a recent profile on Folsom returning players -

http://battleprepwest.com/2016/05/26/2016-norcal-loaded-teams-folsom-bulldogs-sjs/

Here is a Youtube of a recent Folsom practice in June - Evan Michalet at QB

Regarding Granite Bay - I didn't attend but had a brief report. My nephew plays on Palma.

Granite Bay had the entire team in the Monterey Bay area for a bonding trip, They did the same last season and got together with Palma for 7x7 work. Palma just had their skill players and skill defenders. GB has some huge kids and they have some good skill players. I'll find out more on GB. I just heard how Palma looked. They seem to both have been working on things. I was told that when the starters were in on both sides they looked relatively even.

Last edited:
Folsom QB must have saw that the Youtube post was linked here and made it private. As a coach scouting a team, that youtube would be valuable for seeing who to defense since they run all their patterns and you can see how the QB throws. I was surprised that was online. Also not sure what the practice rules are for the section in June. I know passing league and conditioning is okay, but is practicing with the team running the offense and defense?

Reactions: RunningRon
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT