ADVERTISEMENT

Football Participation drops again in California

Everyone will have their own opinion on this subject as they should. From the start IMO I thought the concerns of CTE have been over-stated to some degree, while I'm sure many soccer moms' and others will disagree. All I know is from my own experience. MY father passed away just recently shy of 92 and was an all city RB in SF 2 years and in his high school hall of fame. Dad broke his shoulder twice and from an era of leather FB helmets and no faceguards never had any related "CTE" conditions or symptoms. I played FB 4 years in HS as a WR, RB and KO returner and no concussions.
My 2 son's also played FB with one in Pop Warner 4 years' and then through HS and neither ever experienced a concussion [the one in Pop Warner later played QB & DB in HS while the other played DB]. While there is a high rate of dementia in society and while lower & even worse Alzheimer's there is no defined clear cause though possibly a combination of causes. So why is it further down the ladder of brain dysfunctions in that CTE is that Football is the "clear" cause [of CTE].

I guess its like anything & you assess and weigh the risks. I just read a study on vaping as new health concerns are arising of lung and brain inflamation as 8 high school students were recently hospitalized. Another article states HS seniors who vape has risen as high as 37% nationwide, up 9% over the past year with 42% having tried in past. Soph's were at 32% up from 24% and 8th graders' [yes, 8th graders as they do start earlier now] at 18% up from 13%.

So sports of some type, maybe football or "be safe" - vape & play video games and put on the pounds? There are many sports and all good, but football to me is a unique experience and the toughness required along with the comradery & brotherhood among players. Something once you've played you'll remember the rest of your life, or at least I will.
So sad the scare they've put into young parents' about just how dangerous Football is as there are many things in life that carry some form of risk.

I would love to see a long term study in regards to CTE performed on prisoners with life sentences. Strap them up and give some 1 concussion a month, others with 2-3 a day for day a year. In some countries they use inmates as crash test dummies at car factories.

It's not the kids, it's not the dads it's the soccer moms who will let them play Flag Football and then the kids desperately want to strap it up and play tackle and they have a huge family fight at home. Been coaching 8th grade/Frosh for 21 years......I hear about that family argument every year. Mom- No you are not playing. Kid - Mom it's my life I'm playing. Dad - Honey he has a passion for the game let's give him a chance. Mom - Are u F'n kidding me Tom(Dad in this script)!!!! Over my dead body is that kid putting on shoulder pads against those monsters. Seen the same argument every year for the past 20 years....different versions. Some heavier...some lighter. Flag football is the first taste and then they want more.

It's not the kids, it's not the dads it's the soccer moms who will let them play Flag Football and then the kids desperately want to strap it up and play tackle and they have a huge family fight at home. Been coaching 8th grade/Frosh for 21 years......I hear about that family argument every year. Mom- No you are not playing. Kid - Mom it's my life I'm playing. Dad - Honey he has a passion for the game let's give him a chance. Mom - Are u F'n kidding me Tom(Dad in this script)!!!! Over my dead body is that kid putting on shoulder pads against those monsters. Seen the same argument every year for the past 20 years....different versions. Some heavier...some lighter. Flag football is the first taste and then they want more.

Probably some of the same Moms who blinded sided me and later kidney punched me with their carts as I passed the flatscreen TV displays at the CostCo on Black Friday last post-Thanksgiving.

.......and I was just trying to make my way to the food window for a sausage & soda combo.

Neutering our youth at a young age. Making our children more complacent and less self reliant is what we want to do these days. Or at least is starting to feel like? How do we remain the Strongest Nation in the World well I can tell you it doesn't start off by taking away football. I know many of young men who fell in love with the game because of the physicality, the discipline. Then wanted more after high school, but may have not had the size or ability to play after High School, but love the activity, the discipline, and the camaraderie that develops. It seems to be a great transition into becoming a United States Soldier. Being Careful isn't always the right choice. Young men need outlets like football.

Reactions: coachlittle
Probably some of the same Moms who blinded sided me and later kidney punched me with their carts as I passed the flatscreen TV displays at the CostCo on Black Friday last post-Thanksgiving.

.......and I was just trying to make my way to the food window for a sausage & soda combo.
I try to avoid the Black Friday dangerous rush - they don't even offer, let alone require, helmet and pads. Your experience is even more reason to avoid this fanatical event!

I can’t help but think that if more boys gained the sense of community with other boys and their community that you get with a sport like football, we might see fewer issues that we are seeing for the past decade or so with our boys. More and more of our boys are broken and disconnected.

You know what’s crazy? It’s almost as if the world we live in isn’t the one our parents lived in. And it’s almost like the world our kids are growing up isn’t the same one we grew up in. And I may be crazy, but I have a feeling the world our kid’s kids grow up in won’t be the same as any of those other worlds. It’s almost like the world.... changes or something as time goes on.

Hahahahaha, .... All time great quote.

IMHO football has become such a big commitment that many of our youth
don't want to do it...The time and preparation is long and detailed. In the quest to win, to many hours have to be dedicated.....It has virtually become a year round sport be tween off season weights and the AAU circuit....The days of 3 weeks before school starts and a few double days are long gone.......I see so many of our guys get to school at 6 and head home after 6.....thats a long day at school for a 16/17 year old?

don't want to do it...The time and preparation is long and detailed. In the quest to win, to many hours have to be dedicated.....It has virtually become a year round sport be tween off season weights and the AAU circuit....The days of 3 weeks before school starts and a few double days are long gone.......I see so many of our guys get to school at 6 and head home after 6.....thats a long day at school for a 16/17 year old?
Let alone dual sporters trying to balance the needs of recruitment in a primary sport with the demands of the other. In season ended at 6 pm, off season sport weights/workout til 8, dinner at 9. Brutal summers and homework at 10 pm were standard. Saved Pops some big bucks though with his college sport scholly. Five times as much as big bro got as a Natl Merit Winner! (Now that’s a dichotomy.)

I think it was the World Cup Womens' finals, not sure if there was a concussion that resulted in any, but there were a handful of head on head collisions. If Goodell saw that he'd make wearing helmets mandatory in women's soccer.

Reported that Alvarez (in Salinas) will not field a freshman team this year and that at North Salinas only 11 freshmen have shown up.

Well stated......

I would love to see a long term study in regards to CTE performed on prisoners with life sentences. Strap them up and give some 1 concussion a month, others with 2-3 a day for day a year. In some countries they use inmates as crash test dummies at car factories.

I'm pretty sure that's not true. The Nazis probably did something like that, but no one is doing it now. Do you have a link?

Reactions: 13 others
Burlingame numbers are up. About 80 in total. That's about 30 percent more than 2018. We'll see how the numbers pan out as the season progresses. But, so far, that's an improvement at a public school that's had some success over the last 30 or so years.

Last edited:
The Mercury News & EB Times editorial staff is encouraging a ban of high school football at all public schools:

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2019/0...school-football-participation-is-encouraging/

East Bay Times: Football Should be Banned a Public Schools

Also East Bay Times: Be sure to check out our HS football Previews and Coverage

If they really felt that strongly they wouldn't cover HS football. But they know that it sells papers, so its ok to make money off it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT