ADVERTISEMENT

Friday at Gridley

Joey and Riordan will be fine ! Riordan is a good team with a tough schedule as it should be. It will pay dividends later. It's called being "battle tested" not just for the players but for the staff! You see what works and what doesn't. You schedule weak games and then when someone punches you in the mouth, you fall and can't get up. Riordan will respond appropriately. Tomorrow's game will be another heavyweight bout. Riordan's turnovers are from a new team coming together and a player who has had limited practices , scrimmages etc...preseason ! Just watch...
Agreed, that this tourney is top notch and is good preparation for League. In the 2 years we played in Gridley it was a chance to play top teams as well and get you out the regular lull of preseason games vs the local PAL, AAA, or other various CCS teams. In addition to the ramped up competition it also added camaraderie and focus. Which leads me to my next point. Today be a good test to see how this team handles Branson. Will there be empty possessions again, where they dont even get a shot off. They’ll need to take care of the basketball and clamp down on D. Branson will play the type of structured WCAL ball on both ends of the floor and you sure as hell better be focused on taking care of the ball. The ‘new team and preseason’ excuse are all still in play, but as I said Im looking for improvement game to game, whether its less turnovers, improved half court sets (which I know is not their strength but needed come League), how they handle defensive pressure, better shot selection whatever, as long as they are getting better each game . The preseason is what it is, a chance to ready yourself as you ramp up to League. And as we head to the Holidays, League is now right around the corner and that new excuse will no longer fit once League starts, as everyone will have had the time to acclimate themselves to one another. Wishing, as one renowned poster says, for great hoops for the Crusaders today!

Reactions: cherylbaustin
No excuses at all, just simple facts. I agree with most of your points just not as definitive as you are making them. Branson has had empty possessions, bad shots, etc...so has every high school team. You play through mistakes, don't hang your head , mature as players and a staff.
I played in this same tourney in 91 and 92, Mcclymonds School, blessed to see my son have the same experience. Win or Lose today I know all the kids have learned something as well as the staff.
"WINNING ISN'T EVERYTHING BUT STRIVING TO WIN IS!" Competition, fact is...someone will win and someone will lose. Enjoy the journey.

No excuses at all, just simple facts. I agree with most of your points just not as definitive as you are making them. Branson has had empty possessions, bad shots, etc...so has every high school team. You play through mistakes, don't hang your head , mature as players and a staff.
I played in this same tourney in 91 and 92, Mcclymonds School, blessed to see my son have the same experience. Win or Lose today I know all the kids have learned something as well as the staff.
"WINNING ISN'T EVERYTHING BUT STRIVING TO WIN IS!" Competition, fact is...someone will win and someone will lose. Enjoy the journey.
Looks like we were there at the same time! I think we both are in the agreement and are hoping for Crusader success, me sooner rather than later. As other posters know, Ive been on this journey watching the Riordan since the mid 80s, when my Pops took me to my first Riordan game, seen the TOC loses at the Coliseum with Newman, the loss to Mater Dei in the early 90s, finally triumphing in a State game with Tofi and Kately and then the return to prominence when Jones and company returned Riordan to the headlines. The journey has included a recent CCS title which is nice, and the State title was memorable, but returning to the top of the WCAL like when Riordan ruled the league in the 80s is what’s been missing. Hopefully this group’s journey ends with that coveted League crown, oh and a sweep of those City schools! Safe travels back!

Looks like we were there at the same time! I think we both are in the agreement and are hoping for Crusader success, me sooner rather than later. As other posters know, Ive been on this journey watching the Riordan since the mid 80s, when my Pops took me to my first Riordan game, seen the TOC loses at the Coliseum with Newman, the loss to Mater Dei in the early 90s, finally triumphing in a State game with Tofi and Kately and then the return to prominence when Jones and company returned Riordan to the headlines. The journey has included a recent CCS title which is nice, and the State title was memorable, but returning to the top of the WCAL like when Riordan ruled the league in the 80s is what’s been missing. Hopefully this group’s journey ends with that coveted League crown, oh and a sweep of those City schools! Safe travels back!
Nice seeing you back on the boards 1DNA! From another Crusader alum that also saw those memorable games in the late 70's with my cousin taking my CYO 4th grade team to Kezar for the first time and watching that 80's dynasty 90's teams and State Title team and on...It's good to see the Crusaders now even being mentioned as a WCAL Title contender. Lots of work to do with this team as it gets acclimated to playing with each other and understanding each one's roles. Significant improvement since the Dublin game and excited to see how this season plays out for the Purple and Gold! Enjoy the Gridley Tournament experience and we'll see you back at the Crusader Forum next week!

Last edited:
Hope Coach Joey reads some of these great analyses! Kids can’t do it alone , it’s a Team sport which includes the coach. The players have to take care of the ball, unforced turnovers will not get them to the level of play they need to be successful .

Yes. Coach Forslund is the Head JV Coach and Varsity Assistant Coach.

Very good news. A valuable mentor and resource.
Its only a resource if its used and implemented. That said, your only as good as your assistant coaches and I commend JC for bringing the Doc in. I think their styles can work, but there will have to be a middle ground on both ends. Go Rabbits!!!!

Reactions: Renard Monroe
I like the spreads that were given for the high school game. Riordan won by 10. You win some and you lose some, but you live to fight another day! They haven't figured it out yet but they will be ok...

Reactions: jordan24
A very good bounce back win to take 3rd place in a very competitive tournament. Solid defense and Bryce hitting most of his free throws in the closing minutes to seal the win. Safe travels back home!

Reactions: cherylbaustin
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT