ADVERTISEMENT

Gene the Dream Gone.

superle

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 10, 2002
One of the beat ballers ever out of Norcal dead. Gene the Dream. Gene Ransom, Cal basketball Hall of Famer, identified as victim in deadly shooting on northbound Interstate 880 in Oakland | abc7news.com

Reactions: concrete17
I remember watching him at the TOC’s at the coliseum early 70s. Great player. Saw the final with him leading Berkeley vs San Joaquin Memorial led by Cliff Poindexter.

Reactions: BadBucks and remc
One of the beat ballers ever out of Norcal dead. Gene the Dream. Gene Ransom, Cal basketball Hall of Famer, identified as victim in deadly shooting on northbound Interstate 880 in Oakland | abc7news.com

Gene the Dream had NBA star skills... sure, short for PG or NBA player..... maybe not Jason Kidd/Gary Payton PG skills (which both are NBA 75 at 75 team members)... but in next tier of great Nor Cal HS great PG's of all time.

Sad to hear of this. I did an interview with him for Norcalpreps, many years ago. It was at a Reno tournament. He was very generous with his time.

Here's wishing you great hoops.

Just tragic... Gene was a phenom at B-Hi and one of the best ever at Cal. Once played an unreal 63 1/2 minutes in a 5-OT win over Oregon. He scored 36 in that one. Gene Ransom was the Bay Area version of Earl the Pearl Monroe. So sad that he's gone is such a terrible way.

Just tragic... Gene was a phenom at B-Hi and one of the best ever at Cal. Once played an unreal 63 1/2 minutes in a 5-OT win over Oregon. He scored 36 in that one. Gene Ransom was the Bay Area version of Earl the Pearl Monroe. So sad that he's gone is such a terrible way. RIP Gene the Dream.

I saw that earlier. That’s just horrible. He was The Man when I was growing up. His brother played a couple of years with the Giants if I recall correctly.
People who knew him said baseball may have been his best sport.

I saw that earlier. That’s just horrible. He was The Man when I was growing up. His brother played a couple of years with the Giants if I recall correctly.
Nothing like him in the Open court leading the Yellowjacket fast break. People were on the edge of their seat when he had the ball in his hands

Gene the Dream had NBA star skills... sure, short for PG or NBA player..... maybe not Jason Kidd/Gary Payton PG skills (which both are NBA 75 at 75 team members)... but in next tier of great Nor Cal HS great PG's of all time.
I'd say Gene Ransom was a better ball handler than either Kidd or Payton. Kidd and Payton were bigger, longer, better defenders

Reactions: observer22
This is very sad to learn. Although I only got to know Gene Ransom over the course of two games, he influenced me as a coach and I'm grateful for what he taught me.

I first met and coached against Gene in 2000-2001 when I was a first year Frosh head coach at Redwood High in Marin. I was a young and inexperienced coach and since I did not grow up in the Bay Area, I was not unaware of him and his amazing basketball accomplishments as a player at Berkeley High and later Cal Berkeley.

My Frosh team was a very solid and when we first played Gene and his outstanding 2000-2001 Berkeley Yellowjackets they crushed us by 40 points! It was an eye-opening experience for my group as his team was physical, played extremely hard, and had an edge that intimidated my team. Following the game, I was fired up and made it very clear to Gene that I was not happy that his team continued to press until the final buzzer.

However, I was surprised when he suggested for us to sit down to discuss the game. I was humbled as he explained that it was critical for him to coach his 15th player as hard as he coached his best player and to become a great pressing team he needed ALL of his players to press. Although the conversation did not lessen the sting of defeat any less, I respected his explanation and appreciated how hard he coached ALL of his players equally.

About a week later we had the opportunity to play his Berkeley Frosh team again and this time we scraped and competed against their suffocating full court press for 3/4 of the game, but ultimately lost by about 15 points. Following the game, Gene made it a point to come see me and compliment our team's improvement and told me that he could tell I had been coaching our 15th man as hard as our best player!

A few weeks later, I told my father, a long-time Varsity basketball coach in Sacramento, the story of coaching against Gene Ransom and his incredible Frosh team, he laughed and commented, "if you thought he was difficult to coach against, you should have seen him as a player. You got your butt kicked by a legend!"

The coaching advice Gene shared with me in 2001 stills rings clear for today and I'm thankful for the opportunity to have coached against him. He taught me that although coaching philosophies can differ amongst coaches, it is only the team's coach that truly knows what is best for his players and that you must coach your lesser talented players as hard as you coach your better players if you want to succeed.

And succeed they did as his team went undefeated that season!

Rest in peace Gene and prayers to his family, closest friends, and former players!

Coachmanfredi........
Great, illustrative post. More satisfying than my usual Highwire house black with an extra shot to start the day.
Really enjoy these shared experiences posts that remind us how lucky we are to live in such an athletic rich area.
I became hoops aware in my last years at Cal when Gene at Berkeley High was tearing up the local HS competition. After graduating I continued to follow him when he did the same at the old Harmon Gym.

A heartfelt thanks and RIP Gene Ransom

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT