ADVERTISEMENT

Girls Basketball Nation's Top 30.....

Paytc

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2014
List put together 1/4/19. Subject to change as results from games or better Information is obtained.

2/06/19 Updated. SOS (Strength of schedule doesn't lie)

1. Miami Country Day (FL.) 19-1 TOC Champs.
2. St. Johns Washington (DC.)22-1 only loss to MCD. Play #5 B.M. 2/09/19
3.Centennial (NV.) 22-1 Undefeated with starters Impressive @TOC
4.Sierra Canyon (Ca.) 26-0 Next test will be Ca. Open state tournament.
5.Bishop McNamara (MD.) 20-1 best wins New Hope & Hamilton Heights.
6.New Hope (MD.) 25-3 Strong showing at the TOC.
7.Mitty (Ca.)20-2 loss to Grandview and southriidge 2-2 TOC.
8.Mansfield (TX) 32-1 Texas claims the best teams are in Texas.
9.Mater Dei (Ca.) 26-3 Runner up 2nd level of TOC. Play Wind 2/9,Etiwan 2/13
10.Duncanville(TX.) 30-5 Beat Cedar Hill twice.
11.Cedar Hill (Tx.) 32-4 Beat New Hope soundly.Loss Duncanville(2x)
12.Highlands Ranch( CO.) 18-1 only loss Redondo Union. Plays Regis 2/12
13.Roland Park (MD) 20-1 best wins beat St. Frances Academy twice.
14.Afrocentric (OH) 20-0 best wins Beat Edison,Mt. Notre Dame
15.Beaver Dam (WI) 19-1 loss to MCD 52-43
16.Christ The King (Ny.) 14-4 big recent win over Mater Dei. 2-2@TOC.
17.Clovis West ( Ca.)25-3 Beat Windward.
18.Windward (Ca.) 20-5 three recent losses to Sierra Canyon, Centennial, C.W.
19.Regis Jusuit(CO.) 17-2 Beat Grandview, loss@New Hope, plays H.R. 2/12
20.Incarnate Word(MO.) 19-1 Beat Clovis West but loss to Pinewood.
21. Southridge (Or.) 16-3 Loss to CTK, Beat Mitty 2-2 @TOC
22. Grandview (Co.) 16-3 Loss Regis and CTK, Beat Mitty 2-2 @TOC.
23. Etiwanda (Ca.) 25-3 beat Redondo Union and Mater Dei.
24.Redondo Union (Ca.) 23-3 TOC level 2 champs. Play S.C. 2/13
25.Edison (MI) 12-1 Loss to Afrocentric 65-60
26.Germantown(Pa.) 24-1 Loss to MCD 74-56
27.Bradley Central (TN.) 23-3 Loss to Highlands Ranch,Beat Dillard 2-2@TOC
28.Oak ridge (TN) 16-2 Won Mike @ TOC.
29.Mount Notre Dame(OH.) 18-2 Loss to Afrocentric, beat Hamilton Heights.
30.Hamilton Heights(TN) 18-2 Loss to Bishop McNamara 57-54, loss MND.
Bonus five
31.Pinewood(Ca.) 19-2
32.Heritage (NC.) 18-1
33.Wakefield(NC.) 19-1
34.Miramonte(Ca.) 23-2
35.Carondelet(Ca.)21-4(Beat Pinewood and MM but loss to Folsom hurt)Top20 -Folsom

Local Honorable mention:Salesian, ,Sacramento, Heritage,SJND, Clovis North, Cardinal Newman, Bear Creek, Folsom, Antelope, McClatchy, SMS, Odowd, SHCP, SRV,California. Let me know if I left anyone off the list.

Note: Any good and well coached team can beat any other team. So don't count out anyone on the list to include the honorable mentioned. I may edit the list slightly soon.

Last edited:
1. Miami Country Day (FL.) 12-1 TOC Champs.
2. St. Johns Washington (DC.)13-1 only loss to MCD.
3.Windward (Ca.) 14-2 runner up at TOC. plays Centennial 1/5
4.Centennial (NV.) 9-1 Three straight wins @ TOC with starters.
5.Bishop McNamara (MD.) 12-0 best wins New Hope & Hamilton Heights.
6.New Hope (MD.) Strong showing at the TOC.
7.Pinewood (Ca.) 11-0 Two good tournament wins with Etiwanda and I.W.
8.Regis Jesuit (CO.) 8-0 Can dunk on any team. Beat Grandview.
9.Hamilton Heights (TN.) 12-1 loss to Bishop McNamara.
10.Redondo Union (Ca.) 12-2 TOC level 2 champs.
11. Highlands Ranch( CO.) 9-1 only loss Redondo Union.
12.Incarnate Word (MO.) 12-1 only loss to #7 Pinewood.
13.Etiwanda (Ca.) 11-2 loss to Sacramento beat Redondo Union and Mater Dei.
14.Roland Park (MD) 10-1 Xcellant 25's # 11.
15.Mansfield (TX) 24-1 Texas claims Texas is the best bball in the nation.:)
16.Mater Dei (Ca.) 18-2 Runner up 2nd level of TOC.
17.Grandview (Co.) 7-3 Beat Mitty and Riverdale (MD) loss Centennial, CTK, #8 Regis.
18.Southridge (Or.) 10-3 played well at TOC beat Mitty.
19.Mitty (Ca.)8-2 loss to Grandview and southriidge 2-2 @ TOC.
20. Sierra Canyon (Ca.) 13- 0 test will be Windward 1/15.
21.Clovis West ( Ca.)14-2 Just something about the well coached teams. (Windward 1/21)
22.Salesian (Ca.)7-5 Beat # 4 Centennial ( much better than record)
23. Carondelet (Ca.) Beat and loss to Salesian 3-1 2nd level @ TOC.
24. SMS (Ca.) Down year watch soon for healthier available team, coaching, and tradition.
25.Afrocentric (OH) 9-0 #3 on Xcellant 25 list.
26. Edison (MI) 9-2 (# 6 on Xcellant 25 list).
27.Heritage (NC.) 11-0 (#22 on Xcellant 25 list).
28.Bradley Central (TN.) 14-2
29.Miramonte (Ca.) 16-2 Another well coached team that loves to over achieve.
30. Sacramento (Ca.) 8-5 Don't let the record fool ya they can ball.

Local Honorable mention: Folsom, McClatchy, Bear Creek, Antelope, Cardinal Newman, Heritage. Clovis North. Let me know if I left anyone off the list.

Note: Any good and well coached team can beat any other team. So don't count out anyone on the list to include the honorable mentioned.

Is this list your personal ranking?

Reactions: Paytc
Is this list your personal ranking?

Yes. I didn't spend too much time as to really nit pick. But I think I made a few valid points and based it primarily on strength of schedule and/ or like opponents. And teams I've had a chance to see or know a little about. No doubt there are others not in this top thirty that may have valid claims to be in it. This is just my opinion ranking list. Any thoughts out there?

Last edited:
you probably should have stopped at 15...
Funny.... LOL I was getting tired and my computer started bugging about that time. But I can still live with 15-30. My main point was to put a list together of those who could and/ or have proved they can ball in the top 30.

I wasn't trying to be funny... you really think that 9 of the second 15 teams in the nation are all from california? And that all of the honorable mentions are from CA, specifically nor cal?

We can argue all we want about order, and maybe I'm alone in this but I'm not convinced california has 20 out the top 37 teams in the nation... the entire nation..

I wasn't trying to be funny... you really think that 9 of the second 15 teams in the nation are all from california? And that all of the honorable mentions are from CA, specifically nor cal?

We can argue all we want about order, and maybe I'm alone in this but I'm not convinced california has 20 out the top 37 teams in the nation... the entire nation..

Yes I think at least 9 of the top 30 teams in the nation are from California. Just based on the fact California dominated the Nike TOC should tell the nation something. Didn't say others couldn't argue the point. And I didn't say the list was in stone. There will be movement with teams moving in and out of the list as time goes along and games are played. I only included Norcal California teams in the honorable mentioned because this is a site called NORCALPREP. So I was communicating with folks from Norcal to see what thoughts are out there about Norcal basketball. And if you noticed I did say "local" honorable mention.There are plenty of SoCal teams I didn't include but surely could have like LBP, Harvard Westlake, Alemany, Christian, and a few others. I'd have to look to see how they are doing to better comment on them.

Once again here are the Nike TOC teams that made it into the championship.......

As you can see California ( primarily Southern California represented) 8 of the 12 teams are from Southern California.

Looks like most of the power teams are out west.

Clare Championship- Windward (Ca) vs MCD (Fl) 3PM PST

Joe Championship- Redondo Union (Ca) vs Mater Dei (Ca) 1:30 pm PST

John Championship- Long Beach Poly( Ca) vs Rosary Academy (Ca) 10:30 am PST

Mike Championship- Christian (Ca) vs Oak Ridge (TN) 9:00am PST

Dan Championship- La Jolla Country Day (Ca) vs Campbell (Ga) 7:30 am PST

Kirk Championship- St. Paul (Ca) vs Desert Mt (AZ) 9am PST

Southern California represented !

Last edited:
Yes I think 9 of the top 30 teams in the nation are from California.

No.. you have 9 teams from California in #16-30 alone including 5 in a row... I think you ran out of national teams you knew much about and inserted california teams you do know.. thats why I suggested you cut it to 15. Personally I don't think any of your "honorable mentions" deserve to be mentioned on that scale

No.. you have 9 teams from California in #16-30 alone including 5 in a row... I think you ran out of national teams you knew much about and inserted california teams you do know.. thats why I suggested you cut it to 15. Personally I don't think any of your "honorable mentions" deserve to be mentioned on that scale

I did say I got tired and my computer started bugging AKA freezing up. I am still working through to fix it up. But I think I got off to a good start considering I only gave it about an hours thought. I've changed a few since you last looked. And might look it over, do a little more research, and make another change or two. But thus far I do kind of like the list.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: OnBall8
I did say I got tired and my computer started bugging AKA freezing up. I am still working through to fix it up. But I think I got off to a good start considering I only gave it about an hours thought. I've changed a few since you last looked. And might look it over, do a little more research, and make another change or two. But thus far I do kind of like the list.:)

The Max Prep computer has 2 of the top 3 from California. And if you keep looking it has 3 of the top 5, 4 of the top 6, and 5 of the top 7. So I think I'm not the only one who thinks California is dominant in girls basketball. Even the immortal ones seem to agree with me. LOL...... And just for the record I checked the computer rankings after my list was put together.

Yes. I didn't spend too much time as to really nit pick. But I think I made a few valid points and based it primarily on strength of schedule and/ or like opponents. And teams I've had a chance to see or know a little about. No doubt there are others not in this top thirty that may have valid claims to be in it. This is just my opinion ranking list. Any thoughts out there?

Quite an ambitious task indeed. Nice work, on balance. Perhaps a tad California-heavy, but, hey, why the heck not? A grade of A- is called for.

Reactions: Willtalk and Paytc
I was not really surprised Centennial knocked off Windward. Both good teams and Centennial is worthy of the top 4 seed I gave them. I won't be dropping Windward much for losing to such a powerful top 5 team. Still waiting on an update from the Mater Dei vs SJND game. My guess is Mater Dei won by close to double digits. But you never know SJND is a good team when healthy.

Mitty over Sacramento wasn't a shock but the score was until someone who was there put the score in better perspective.

Clet vs Pinewood should be a battle even though Pinewood is the solid favorites. It will come down to matching up with the speed, smarts, discipline, and quickness that Pinewood presents. And making foul shots.Not to forget the fact that Pinewood's 3 point shot could come from almost any player, not just Hanna Jump. Pinewood is far from a 1 trick pony team. In the very tough fought victory over Salesian Pinewood's two star players barely made it into the top 3 on the team scoring that evening. I think the two top scorers were two sophomores. Talk about balanced scoring and a "team" that plays well together. Best wishes to both Clet and Pinewood tomorrow.

I don't see much changing on my nation's top 30 list. Most likely just a swoop in position for Windward now 4 and Centennial now 3.

Locally I think Mitty's convincing win over a solid Sacramento team serves notice that Mitty is starting to find their groove. Just keeps my top 3 Norcal teams in the top 3 slot but bumped Mitty from my 3rd position over Salesian who will now take the 3rd slot.

1.Pinewood
2.Mitty
3.Salesian
4.Clet

Last edited:
What was that perspective? And was it a post on this board?

The perspective was early foul trouble to key player(s) and the score closer for much of the game. And especially when the key player(s) for Sacramento weren't on the bench in foul trouble. But I have mentioned that players have to be smart enough to adjust their games to the way refs are calling it. Because some refs let you play. And some won't let you breathe near some teams, in some games, or near some players. You must adjust. And yes it was posted on this board.

Last edited:
I know there is a few who have been waiting on my revised SOS poll. Here's what I have at the moment. As always it is subject to change as games are played and or a little better research is obtained.

I am sure Paytc IS NOT SURPRISED by the outcome.

No because there is not a big separation in the good teams within girls basketball. But I am a little surprised. However anyone who's known me a while, or seen things I write, I've been quoted as saying it is much easier to play and beat a team you know well in your own backyard (such as a local or league opponent) than to travel to perhaps the toughest tournament in the nation and beat 3 or 4 teams you know very little about in 4 days back to back. Even a #1 team in the nation is more likely to lose to a team that knows them well enough to better game plan and make adjustments against them. Congratulations Clovis North !

I'll have to update that result after the updates I plan to make after the games on 2/9 and 2/13 are played.

Last edited:
You heard it here first..... there is going to be a major upset in the ncs division 2 championship. The team that wins ncs d2 will assuredly be outside of PAYTC's espn top 500 high school ladies national power ranking.

becoolpt55,

In your opinion is there any chance Redondo Union ( who recently loss to S.C. by about 30) will be able to make their 2/12/19 matchup closer and even possibly pull the upset? Did Redondo Union have any excuse for the 30 point loss such as key injuries, early foul troubles, or just a horrible day shooting and/ or coaching? Did the Refs call it too tight, too loose, or one sided?

I am noticing a few losses to teams within my top 30 and will wait until after the 2/16/19 to make any changes. B.M. suffered their second straight loss to St. John's. But I don't see any team under them with an impressive enough SOS to cause me to drop B.M. after losing two tough fought games to the 2nd ranked team in the nation on my poll. If SJ and BM go at it for a third time and we get the same result, at that time I would probably drop BM under Mitty. But Mitty would also need to keep winning at the same time. And I would most likely be moved to place SJ at #1 even over MCD ( because of a tougher SOS) even though MCD beat them by a basket head to head. In a game SJ had in their hands to win before miss amazing launched the 3 pointer(s). It would be hard to jump SJ over MCD if both keep winning, but I would never say never. Based on SOS and how each have been challenged or not since they matched up back in the preseason championship at the Nike TOC. I am very impressed with B.M. And if SJ beats them 3 straight that's hard to overlook. If B.M. beats SJ in the third matchup of the two teams I would have to consider placing B.M. at #1 at season's end. But that would depend on how Sierra Canyon, Mitty, and others do in the California Open state championship. And how strong MCD is challenged the rest of the way. I'd have to consider Centennial and New Hope too based on how they are challenged down the stretch.

Others who loss recently that I'm aware of are Clovis West, Mater Dei, and Salesian. Is there any other significant losses that I need to consider?

Big games coming up are a rematch of #4 S.C vs #24Redondo Union on 2/13/19. And #12 Highlands Ranch vs #19 Regis Jusuit on 2/12/19. And #9 Mater Dei (who just loss to Wind) takes on #23 Etiwanda on 2/13/19. Windward plays Etiwanda on 2/16/19.

Are there any other key games this week to consider? Others feel free to provide input to this post.

Last edited:
Reactions: DonniePeckerwood
Though Redondo Union has two very good guards, neither is a senior, and the team has no size. I think they will continue to struggle in the Southern Section Open, but of course you never know ...

List put together 1/4/19. Subject to change as results from games or better Information is obtained.

2/06/19 Updated. SOS (Strength of schedule doesn't lie)

1. Miami Country Day (FL.) 19-1 TOC Champs.
2. St. Johns Washington (DC.)22-1 only loss to MCD. Play #5 B.M. 2/09/19
3.Centennial (NV.) 22-1 Undefeated with starters Impressive @TOC
4.Sierra Canyon (Ca.) 26-0 Next test will be Ca. Open state tournament.
5.Bishop McNamara (MD.) 20-1 best wins New Hope & Hamilton Heights.
6.New Hope (MD.) 25-3 Strong showing at the TOC.
7.Mitty (Ca.)20-2 loss to Grandview and southriidge 2-2 TOC.
8.Mansfield (TX) 32-1 Texas claims the best teams are in Texas.
9.Mater Dei (Ca.) 26-3 Runner up 2nd level of TOC. Play Wind 2/9,Etiwan 2/13
10.Duncanville(TX.) 30-5 Beat Cedar Hill twice.
11.Cedar Hill (Tx.) 32-4 Beat New Hope soundly.Loss Duncanville(2x)
12.Highlands Ranch( CO.) 18-1 only loss Redondo Union. Plays Regis 2/12
13.Roland Park (MD) 20-1 best wins beat St. Frances Academy twice.
14.Afrocentric (OH) 20-0 best wins Beat Edison,Mt. Notre Dame
15.Beaver Dam (WI) 19-1 loss to MCD 52-43
16.Christ The King (Ny.) 14-4 big recent win over Mater Dei. 2-2@TOC.
17.Clovis West ( Ca.)25-3 Beat Windward.
18.Windward (Ca.) 20-5 three recent losses to Sierra Canyon, Centennial, C.W.
19.Regis Jusuit(CO.) 17-2 Beat Grandview, loss@New Hope, plays H.R. 2/12
20.Incarnate Word(MO.) 19-1 Beat Clovis West but loss to Pinewood.
21. Southridge (Or.) 16-3 Loss to CTK, Beat Mitty 2-2 @TOC
22. Grandview (Co.) 16-3 Loss Regis and CTK, Beat Mitty 2-2 @TOC.
23. Etiwanda (Ca.) 25-3 beat Redondo Union and Mater Dei.
24.Redondo Union (Ca.) 23-3 TOC level 2 champs. Play S.C. 2/13
25.Edison (MI) 12-1 Loss to Afrocentric 65-60
26.Germantown(Pa.) 24-1 Loss to MCD 74-56
27.Bradley Central (TN.) 23-3 Loss to Highlands Ranch,Beat Dillard 2-2@TOC
28.Oak ridge (TN) 16-2 Won Mike @ TOC.
29.Mount Notre Dame(OH.) 18-2 Loss to Afrocentric, beat Hamilton Heights.
30.Hamilton Heights(TN) 18-2 Loss to Bishop McNamara 57-54, loss MND.
Bonus five
31.Pinewood(Ca.) 19-2
32.Heritage (NC.) 18-1
33.Wakefield(NC.) 19-1
34.Miramonte(Ca.) 23-2
35.Carondelet(Ca.)21-4(Beat Pinewood and MM but loss to Folsom hurt)Top20 -Folsom

Local Honorable mention:Salesian, ,Sacramento, Heritage,SJND, Clovis North, Cardinal Newman, Bear Creek, Folsom, Antelope, SMS, Odowd, SHCP, SRV,California. Let me know if I left anyone off the list.

Note: Any good and well coached team can beat any other team. So don't count out anyone on the list to include the honorable mentioned. I may edit the list slightly soon.
Great list with one obvious omission......

Great list with one obvious omission......

Please inform me on what team I left out that deserves to make the list. I will be updating the list most likely next week sometime.

I'm sure there are many teams that could make a pretty good case to be on this and every other list. But if they have a good SOS their chances are increased to be on this list already.

Last edited:
Please inform me on what team I left out that deserves to make the list. I will be updating the list most likely next week sometime.

I'm sure there are many teams that could make a pretty good case to be on this and every other list. But if they have a good SOS their chances are increased to be on this list already.

McClatchy i just think this group is special.

McClatchy i just think this group is special.

Yeah they have been kind of riding under the radar a bit. I think they had a pretty significant loss or two early on, and not the most challenging schedule, so they weren't given as close a look. I'll look over their schedule and SOS to see if they can make the claim out of where I presently have them which is local honorable mention. Before I look, I think Clovis North beating Clovis West recenty most likely will get them into my top 30 before McClatchy makes it there. But I will take a look into McClatchy's SOS.

After checking they have a couple good wins and they played CW and Folsom very close. But the blow out loss to Heritage would make me more likely to move Heritage and Clovis North up out of the honorable mention first. And Pinewood, Clet, and the other 3 teams in my 31-35 position would also climb into the top 30 before McClatchy.

But they can go out and pull off a few big wins down the stretch and/ or win a state championship. I think those things are still within reach. If so I'm sure no one will over look that type of end of the season accomplishment. As it's not how you start that matter as much as where you end up. Best wishes to them !

Last edited:
Reactions: TigerStancil
Yeah they have been kind of riding under the radar a bit. I think they had a pretty significant loss or two early on, and not the most challenging schedule, so they weren't given as close a look. I'll look over their schedule and SOS to see if they can make the claim out of where I presently have them which is local honorable mention. Before I look, I think Clovis North beating Clovis West recenty most likely will get them into my top 30 before McClatchy makes it there. But I will take a look into McClatchy's SOS.
McClatchy has historically over the past many years been stuck in a weak league making their SOS lower. With Sac High no longer in their league, that makes their SOS weaker. Thus, their non-league schedule has to be tough. McClatchy's non-league schedule this year hasn't been as challenging in season's past. Their 2015-16 non-league schedule was probably one their toughest.
http://www.maxpreps.com/list/rankin...ectionid=d663c9bc-2efc-42a4-b1f5-f51200644ccc

Tiger--you need to be more humble--no need to set yourself up for embarrassment. Success is under-promise and over-deliver.

Humble? I hope that comment didn't come off as cocky. The question was did anyone get left of the list.

Local Honorable mention:Salesian, ,Sacramento, Heritage,SJND, Clovis North, Cardinal Newman, Bear Creek, Folsom, Antelope, SMS, Odowd, SHCP, SRV,California. Let me know if I left anyone off the list.

I don't think it's a stretch to say McClatchy belongs in that group. Max Preps has us as the #1 team in the SJS ahead of several of those teams.

Good luck to everyone in their matchups.

After checking they have a couple good wins and they played CW and Folsom very close. But the blow out loss to Heritage would make me more likely to move Heritage and Clovis North up out of the honorable mention first. And Pinewood, Clet, and the other 3 teams in my 31-35 position would also climb into the top 30 before McClatchy.

But they can go out and pull off a few big wins down the stretch and/ or win a state championship. I think those things are still within reach. If so I'm sure no one will over look that type of end of the season accomplishment. As it's not how you start that matter as much as where you end up. Best wishes to them !

I was speaking more to the honorable mentions portion

I was speaking more to the honorable mentions portion

Oh then you have more than a valid point. I'll have to check because I assumed they were already in that section. They definitely should be recognized as a good team and worthy of honorable mention. That is exactly why I asked the question was there anyone I accidentally overlooked or left off. I'm sure there may be a few other teams that are also worthy to be honorable mentioned. And some perhaps even worthy of top 30.

I'm almost 99% certain I had McClatchy listed when I put the list together 1/4/19. I deleted the list after taking a few notes mainly who was in my top 30 when I made the updates on 2/6/19 and created the list over again. It was easier for me to create the list over than trying to cut and paste with my cut and paste skills or lack there of. I didn't take a screenshot picture which would have captured everything. Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully other teams weren't accidentally taken off also during the updates.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT