ADVERTISEMENT

Good news for HMB

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
Monday's SF Chronicle will include a story re the CCS football seedings. In that piece, Sacred Heart Cathedral is touted as looking at a possible route to a NorCal regional playoff game in Open Division III. It is stated that the bracket is "wide open." Really? Apparently, a sizzling 10-0 HMB unit which has handled Aragon and Menlo-Atherton, among others, has become something of an afterthought. Good. Post it on the Moon's bulletin board. And we'll have a fresh crab cocktail at Pillar Point Harbor in anticipation of this week's playoffs.

Sounds like the Chronicle is trying to boost up a city team.

It will be settled the next few weeks, but I think HMB is the biggest favorite in the three Open brackets.

Looking at the different divisions last week my thought was HMB is likely the the easiest pick to win a division crown.
The other 7 teams in Div III all appear to be several notches below the Cougars. I wouldn't discount SHC altogether though as they did beat S.I. & Mitty, while S.I. ended the season upsetting Bellarmine [& Bells & Mitty both took down M-A]. You just never know in HS football when the schedules are so different with the different leagues.
Looking at teams schedules and scores M-A, Aragon, Bells & Mitty are all rated very close together, so SHCwould look to give HMB the best challenge of the other 7 teams in that Divison, but then again HMB is 10-0 and could roll..

Last edited:
Looking at the different divisions last week my thought was HMB is likely the the easiest pick to win a division crown.
The other 7 teams in Div III all appear to be several notches below the Cougars. I wouldn't discount SHP altogether though as they did beat S.I. & Mitty, while S.I. ended the season upsetting Bellarmine [& Bells & Mitty both took down M-A]. You just never know in HS football when the schedules are so different with the different leagues.
Looking at teams schedules and scores M-A, Aragon, Bells & Mitty are all rated very close together, so SHP would look to give HMB the best challenge of the other 7 teams in that Divison, but then again HMB is 10-0 and could roll..
SHC not SHP but yeah they are a threat to beat HMB. HMB's leading rusher is limited due to cast on his hand. This could impact their road to finals. It is a special year for sure for HMB and they look like the favorites to me from what I've seen.

Have to laugh. What's the big deal ? Writer changed it to "has a shot" at State. And Coach Barry did not take one bite at that apple and is just focused on game ahead. Laugh at your bulletin board comment . Is it an insult to say division is "wide open"? How does that make HMB an after thought?

If anything, all your comments are bulletin board for the Fightin Irish.

Take it one down at a time ....... enjoy it cause it will all be over before you know it.

Sounds like the Chronicle is trying to boost up a city team.

It will be settled the next few weeks, but I think HMB is the biggest favorite in the three Open brackets.
Per Calpreps, Milpitas is a +14 to win over Salinas (which I think could be closer), and HMB is +10 favorite over Aptos; Serra is favored by +14 and +7 over VC and St Francis respectively. Milpitas is the biggest playoff start favorite.

As far as Sacred Heart Cathedral, HMB is +17 point favorite. HMB is definitely a big favorite, but SHC seems to be playing decent football and maybe the difference has closed a little, but yes HMB should win. SHC will need to play above its usual level and need some help with turnovers or bad play on HMB side. It could be a good game. SHC has seen as good or better teams but indications are it probably won'tt fair well for them in this matchup.

[B said:
"NorCalSportsFan[/B], post: 180130, member: 94"]Per Calpreps, Milpitas is a +14 to win over Salinas (which I think could be closer), and HMB is +10 favorite over Aptos; Serra is favored by +14 and +7 over VC and St Francis respectively. Milpitas is the biggest playoff start favorite.

As far as Sacred Heart Cathedral, HMB is +17 point favorite. HMB is definitely a big favorite, but SHC seems to be playing decent football and maybe the difference has closed a little, but yes HMB should win. SHC will need to play above its usual level and need some help with turnovers or bad play on HMB side. It could be a good game. SHC has seen as good or better teams but indications are it probably won'tt fair well for them in this matchup.

Having watched SHC play the Irish can run a bit hot & cold like many teams, however they ended on a very strong note beating the Bells & by 10. The 15 or so players from JV has also got to help in some circumstances for the Irish.
In terms of offense SHC will have one of the better passing QB's that HMB will face and Anthony Heard is a very capable RB if the line opens some holes for him. SHC should make for some good football viewing in Div III.

Last edited:
Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Let's not forget HMB and SHC have meet already 1 time this year, although it was just a Passing Tournament. It was HMB skilled position guys vs SHC skilled position guys. I.E. HMB QB vs SHC QB ...... HMB came away victorious in that match up. Let's hope both win their first rnd games, then maybe we'll something to discuss until then I'll turn my attention to Burlingame.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Have to laugh. What's the big deal ? Writer changed it to "has a shot" at State. And Coach Barry did not take one bite at that apple and is just focused on game ahead. Laugh at your bulletin board comment . Is it an insult to say division is "wide open"? How does that make HMB an after thought?

If anything, all your comments are bulletin board for the Fightin Irish.

I’m thinking people feel HMB (being the only undefeated school in CCS and a clear cut favorite in this division) deserved more of a mention then “the SHC-LO winner will face the winner of HMB-Burlingame”; something as simple as a sentence saying “a daunting matchup with the only remaining undefeated team In CCS Half Moon Bay likely awaits in the second round” would have done the trick. I doubt the writer intended any disrespect, but I would certainly take it that way if I played/coached/rooted for HMB.

I’m thinking people feel HMB (being the only undefeated school in CCS and a clear cut favorite in this division) deserved more of a mention then “the SHC-LO winner will face the winner of HMB-Burlingame”; something as simple as a sentence saying “a daunting matchup with the only remaining undefeated team In CCS Half Moon Bay likely awaits in the second round” would have done the trick. I doubt the writer intended any disrespect, but I would certainly take it that way if I played/coached/rooted for HMB.
It is a San Francisco newspaper. If were a HMB paper, I would expect an article favoring Half Moon Bay.

It is a San Francisco newspaper. If were a HMB paper, I would expect an article favoring Half Moon Bay.

Yea.... I get it. Just saying I understand why HMB players/coaches/supporters would take that “wide open” comment as a slight. I mean you got an undefeated small school from a tough league reading an article wondering about a 6-4 WCAL team’s chances at a State bowl game while lumping them in with Palma (who got blown out by M-A, who HMB beat), Aptos (who lost to Aragon, who HMB beat), Terra Nova (who HMB blew out), Burlingame (who HMB blew out), Seaside (who lost to Aptos and Palma) and Live Oak as just one of a “wide open field”.... of course they are going to feel slighted.

SHC has speed throughout its lineup that will be very challenging for HMB to match. Heard, Watkins, Mitchell, Oglesby, Orford and add Daly to the mix. This could wind up to be a great game.

SHC has speed throughout its lineup that will be very challenging for HMB to match. Heard, Watkins, Mitchell, Oglesby, Orford and add Daly to the mix. This could wind up to be a great game.

Yea, It should be good one. I’m not sure SHC is better then Aragon, but because of the stakes I think it will be the toughest game for HMB up to that point.

Reactions: Scott2138
Live Oak 28 Sacred Heart 21 Final
in come from behind win.

Terra Nova defeated Aptos 24-14 (Aptos had 6 starters out due to injury including 1,000 yard RB)

Palma 42 -28 over Seaside in a game they lead 35-0

Well it wasn't. Worst officiating I'd ever seen. HMB lucked-out. They should beat LO by 30.

@irishcheers HA HA HA yep we just continue to keep "lucking out" let's see we've been lucky like 11 times this year...... and "officials" really ?

Reactions: rabbit5
@irishcheers HA HA HA yep we just continue to keep "lucking out" let's see we've been lucky like 11 times this year...... and "officials" really ?
I didn't mean "luck out" for winning games or getting all the calls, I meant "luck out" in that HMB won't be facing the Irish. That's why I think the orange dudes will beat Dead Oak by 30.

RE: "HA HA HA"

Yeah, real classy. Taking fubo lessons again?

Last edited:
It's funny how playoffs work, you have to WIN to advance. So LO beat SHC, and your prediction is HMB will beat LO by +30 ...... but yet your still saying HMB is "lucky" they're not playing SHC? Not sure I pickin' up what your puttin' down ? Wouldn't that equal a HMB victory by +31 or more over SHC?

Your prediction is HMB will beat LO by +30 ...... but yet your still saying HMB is "lucky" they're not playing SHC? Not sure I pickin' up what your puttin' down ? Wouldn't that equal a HMB victory by +31 or more over SHC?

It's a fact GOT F. SHC is the strongest team in the division. That's why I said HMB is lucky they don't have to face them. If you saw that Live Oak game and were objective, you would have seen why.
(I'm sure you're not "pickin'-up"...).

Last edited:
Best team in the division ???? Holy sheeeeeeeeet I just spit up my beer with laughter

Best team in the division ???? Holy sheeeeeeeeet I just spit up my beer with laughter

Try drinking it next time.

BTW.. where did MC's defense go?

He who laughs last isn't (and wasn't) Half Moon Bay.

Update 2018: HMB 3-7 and 0-5 in league.
Update 2021: SHC CCS D-III Champs; SHC 4A Norcal Champs; SHC California State 4A Champs.

Last edited:
Young fellow (or lady), have you actually seen HMB in 2017? Check them out Friday night on the Coastside. They are worth the price of admission. And the Cougardogs aren't too shabby either. Parking can be a tad dicey, however. Get there early.

Young fellow (or lady), have you actually seen HMB in 2017? Check them out Friday night on the Coastside. They are worth the price of admission. And the Cougardogs aren't too shabby either. Parking can be a tad dicey, however. Get there early.
It's indeed "fellow" and not so young. Now tell me why me thinking my own team is better is so bad?? (Got F can't figure it out "(??????)". Homework is optional at Half-Baked Moon Bay).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT