ADVERTISEMENT

Granite Bay vs Del Oro

I got the sarcasm, and appreciate it! Yea, he didn't get to play as much as the 7th grader did but he was decent. Can you blame him for leaving? By the time he is a JV player, he will be replaced by someone who moves to Folsom to play for the Bulldogs. I think it's likely kids will move to Oak Ridge and Vista rather than stay in that system, which will put even more pressure on Folsom High School coaching staff to "attract" players from neighboring communities.....and Reno!

Its already happening to some degree. I do not however think it will make a damn bit of difference to Folsom. Very talented kids will still go to Folsom. The program is all about competition. You compete well, you play a lot. You don't compete well, you sit. Pure meritocracy. Kids have to be very confident, thick skinned and determined as hell. Or they will transfer or decide to stop playing. The survivors are pretty good.

I am somewhat surprised that Oakdale is ranked ahead of Granite Bay in this site's Top 20. Maybe there's something I don't understand. I half think Granite Bay could win that game.

Its already happening to some degree. I do not however think it will make a damn bit of difference to Folsom. Very talented kids will still go to Folsom.

They will, until another program suddenly looks more attractive. With some notable exceptions, these things tend to be cyclical. I remember Merced having an incredible 6-7 season run in the 80's and 90's then it suddenly came to a halt. You just never know if/when it might change direction. Lots of factors can play a role. Vista del Lago finally got their own stadium and could become a more attractive option to some. The transfer rule changes several have been talking about could also play a role. And what if Capital Christian starts landing kids from the same areas Folsom has been? Some say that's already started to happen. In short, Folsom's situation could change fairly quickly. Or the status quo could go on for another 5-10 years or more. We just don't know. We'll just have to see how it all unfolds.

They will, until another program suddenly looks more attractive. With some notable exceptions, these things tend to be cyclical. I remember Merced having an incredible 6-7 season run in the 80's and 90's then it suddenly came to a halt. You just never know if/when it might change direction. Lots of factors can play a role. Vista del Lago finally got their own stadium and could become a more attractive option to some. The transfer rule changes several have been talking about could also play a role. And what if Capital Christian starts landing kids from the same areas Folsom has been? Some say that's already started to happen. In short, Folsom's situation could change fairly quickly. Or the status quo could go on for another 5-10 years or more. We just don't know. We'll just have to see how it all unfolds.

Its all about the coaches, I think.

I am somewhat surprised that Oakdale is ranked ahead of Granite Bay in this site's Top 20. Maybe there's something I don't understand. I half think Granite Bay could win that game.

Yea, GB is leaps and bounds better than last years team. Be hard to beat them right now.

Its all about the coaches, I think.

Absolutely, that's a huge factor too. But a factor that helps more with consistency than anything else. Good/great coaches are able to help a team overachieve beyond their talent. But it still comes down to having a lot of talent, especially at D1/D2 where there are typically more good teams.

And not to highjack the thread but I made a comment about Woodcreek's freshman team being awful....that is not the kid's fault....there is something wrong with that program and my guess it is the adults running the program.

With Roseville's population feeding into Woodcreek, they should be fielding another top team besides GB

Ridge Rider,
Football in Sacramento is a lot like society; a big divide between the rich and poor. Woodcreek is the poor. The following is a list of transfers that have left Woodcreek in the past couple years who would be on the varsity this year:

1. Chris Osby- RB--Granite Bay
2. Daniel Ross- RB--Franklin
3. Caleb Nelson- WR/DB- Folsom
4. Carson Jarratt- QB- Del Oro
5. Andre Treadwell- WR- Del Oro (think he quit but his brother is a soph at DO)
6. Aiden Mack- WR- Del Oro
7. Dominic Jeffries- OL- Antelope
8. Lorenzo McGill- WR/RB- Center
9. Carter Kunde- QB/WR/DB- Bear River

Also their 2 times all league RB Isaiah Ajayi was kicked off.

This list is only scratching the surface. When the Stower Brothers left DO, I thought for sure that Woodcreek would become a contender. They are both very good football coaches. When at DO they we're highly respected and DO hated losing them. Good teachers as well. I cannot put my finger on why they struggle.

Admin at Woodcreek is flipping JOKE....It all starts at the top and the Creeks Admin is nowhere close to the top....idiots...

I'm still not sure how good Granite Bay is. Will get another level of comparison after they play Folsom this week. Those teams clustered together (Oakdale, Inderkum, Granite Bay, San Ramon Valley) could be shuffled around

Woodcreek has never had a winning season, gone thru 8 head coaches in 20 years....no continuity, no tradition. Losing begats more losing. Athletes transfer out. That really amped up in 2013 when Esquivel delivered about a dozen of his junior players along with himself to CT at Del Oro. In come the Stowers brothers with their no nonsense and hard nosed style, which I applaud, and more kids leave. Tough to compete in any league, let along the SFL, under those conditions. Not sure you blame the admin or the coaching. Sad situation.

Who does the hiring? Del Oro doesn't seem to have a hiring issue. WC don't stand behind the program and fold in an instant to parent pressure. They hired a guy fROm Oregon and he was teaching with no credential??? WTH....If the business ain't making money it's the owners fault not employees....who is driving that bus? Bottom line is the school is not about football.....ask anyone who has spent time there...

WC admin is under no community pressure to win football games, because there is no "community", just bedroom suburban sprawl; no identity. So WWHS44 you are probably right.

WC admin is under no community pressure to win football games, because there is no "community", just bedroom suburban sprawl; no identity. So WWHS44 you are probably right.
Good call. We have friends that live out there. Went to visit and was shocked at the suburban mega sprawl. Crazy!

Reactions: FelineBad
Oh don't kid your self. They have had plenty of pressure and fold in an instant.
I know many parents of WC lids , several coach's....I have heard it all....nice place to work but not coach football. i also thought the Stowers could change it but it has to start at the top........What would DO do if they had a non football principle and AD......go nuts!

Oh don't kid your self. They have had plenty of pressure and fold in an instant.
I know many parents of WC lids , several coach's....I have heard it all....nice place to work but not coach football. i also thought the Stowers could change it but it has to start at the top........What would DO do if they had a non football principle and AD......go nuts!
They have a beautiful school and lots of athletic kids. They're basketball program has had some great success. I've enjoyed watching them.

No community, no identity, no fun, no wins. Attending a DO game is an event......not so WC.

To my mind, you have to fire the athletic director....and in a hurry. That must happen.

Then, if they hired Paul Doherty, every football player in town would want to play for him. The line would be out the friggin door.

90% offensive tendency that I saw: when #32 was in the game it was a run play, when he was not in the game it was a pass.
As others have said, the OL and physicality of DO is not there. In the past, the offense would move chains irregardless of give away H or FB tendency, not to mention strong side OL flop. I would expect some adjustments or predictability means 3 & out and more L's.

Who does the hiring? Del Oro doesn't seem to have a hiring issue. WC don't stand behind the program and fold in an instant to parent pressure. They hired a guy fROm Oregon and he was teaching with no credential??? WTH....If the business ain't making money it's the owners fault not employees....who is driving that bus? Bottom line is the school is not about football.....ask anyone who has spent time there...
Still not sure you can blame the admin in regards to hiring. After Hildebrand stepped down 5 years ago Woodcreek admin hired Jason Stowers from Del Oro, as well as hiring his brother Kyle, both as full time teachers. By all accounts both great coaches and great teachers loved by students and players alike. Then the admin brought 2 quality coaches/teachers over from Roseville High School, giving the football program 4 new on campus quality teacher/coaches in addition to a couple of guys who were already there. That never happens except in Texas. Del Oro has only 3 on campus coaches. When CT was hired DO brought no one else on. When Walters was hired DO brought no one else on. I still say its the community. All that stuff in the Del Oro end zone (blow up helmet, Touchdown club), multiple uniforms and multiple helmets for each kid, is all funded by the community. The PUHSD and Del Oro does not pay for any of it. When CT left I heard that one of the reasons he stated was "lack of support" from the school. All of this points the finger at years of a lack of "community", not admin. The former AD at WC is now an asst principal, and there is a new AD. Sububuran spraw is the problem. Most successful football programs can tie to a community. Not so WC. After attending a Del Oro game it is easy to see why a kid from Woodcreek would rather be there. It is an exciting and "big time" atmosphere!

I must ad that according to coaches at WC the AD who is now an AP was extremely supportive the football staff and their program.

I must ad that according to coaches at WC the AD who is now an AP was extremely supportive the football staff and their program.

7 other coaches have been there with no success? How can you blame the community? The community doesn't play the game. Suburban sprawl has nothing to do with it....Del Oro is a bedroom community to Sac and they have had success albet with many transfers and quality coaching. Most of south Placer is Sacramento sprawl.........WC has a new principle and the chick who is an AP and still not getting it.......The culture on campus has to change. That all starts with a principle and AD that hire the right guys....I to thought the Stowers and staff would get it right but something is not right.....many other sports on that campus have been very successful......management ain't getting it done.....NFL owner would fire them all....

Feline says she promoted at AP. Her disposiion is not one of being user friendly...

WWHS44, I've been following this thread with interest. I have my opinions about WC but I would rather not post them. Call our mutual friend TM for my phone # and give me a call.

This is pretty much verbatim what I've heard from parents who have had players in their program. Youth program has had real issues as well.

For years, I watched Miner Magic on Friday Nights at Hooper Stadium. Recently, I've been attending Colfax football games and I've got to tell you that it's the best atmosphere I've ever seen for a small school. Martello has always overachieved with his athletes but the fan experience is also worth a visit. They've got the helmet in the endzone, the VIP seating in the endzone, a huge We Are Colfax sign in the other endzone and green and white flags that circle the field. Their student section is the best I've ever witnessed and I've seen DO, Folsom and Rocklin. My estimate is half their student body attends their rooting section. There are flags with the schools values lining the walkway to the ticket booth. Values like service, respect, support, etc... I've had a great fried onion burger from the BBQ and a equally good chili dog. It's honestly a fantastic experience with a mix of old timer fans, families and students and the pine trees that adorn the field is second only to Hooper Stadium.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT