ADVERTISEMENT

Grant 82, Linden 7

A thought or two.
Anyone from Linden complaining?
They play in a League full of schools as large as Grant, and they do just fine. Week earlier, they beat a team with a school enrollment of over 2500..... and they won.
They knew they would not be able to drop lower than D3......they accepted the challenge
i didnt even think to look at that. they play versus the stockton city schools and beat GV in the playoffs.

How about directing ire at the organization(s) that grouped these teams together? That seems more appropriate and worthwhile than blaming a team for competing the best they can.

Linden didn't and never will belong in the same postseason bracket as Grant Union HS. GHS didn't schedule the game. And it sure isn't right to ask them to stop playing because the other team is over-matched. Especially the backups who don't typically get to play as much.

If a team like Linden is still out there playing and trying to score, then it is hypocritical to expect the other party to stop doing the same.

The better solution is to properly align all these teams according to talent level. Isn't that what the CIF/SJS is supposed to be doing?

If this is really "all about the kids" as some purport, then either limit the amount of postseason participants so matchups/beatdowns like this don't occur near as often or as severely and/or do a better job matching up the brackets.

That's where the problem truly lies. Not with Grant Union HS or any other program that similarly anihilates their opponent. Place them in the appropriate division or bracket where they'll face proper competition that won't be down 56-0 at half or 76-0 after the Q3.

As far as I can tell, many are getting overly upset at the wrong party.
I have to disagree that the Ire can't be trickle down or seen compartmentalized. I agree that teams should be placed properly and ultimately the buck stops with CIF/SJS.

I also disagree with your assessment on coupability, my assumption is what your saying essentially is, any team or leadership, (more aptly stated) that is piling up 80 points against an opponent is fine

There is such a thing as sportsmanship. I assume you have seen your share of football, and know how that code works. Agree to disagree.

Reactions: WWHS44
I do.

If more teams like GHS would run up the scores in these unbalanced divisions, then perhaps it might cause the CIF/SJS to rethink things and actually place these teams in the appropriate divisions where they really should be, rather than spreading them out in an attempt to qualify more good teams for State.
That was my point as well. Just way to many teams and too many games that mean very little except money. Let’s face it. The season should have ended for a handful of these teams already.

How about directing ire at the organization(s) that grouped these teams together? That seems more appropriate and worthwhile than blaming a team for competing the best they can.

Linden didn't and never will belong in the same postseason bracket as Grant Union HS. GHS didn't schedule the game. And it sure isn't right to ask them to stop playing because the other team is over-matched. Especially the backups who don't typically get to play as much.

If a team like Linden is still out there playing and trying to score, then it is hypocritical to expect the other party to stop doing the same.

The better solution is to properly align all these teams according to talent level. Isn't that what the CIF/SJS is supposed to be doing?

If this is really "all about the kids" as some purport, then either limit the amount of postseason participants so matchups/beatdowns like this don't occur near as often or as severely and/or do a better job matching up the brackets.

That's where the problem truly lies. Not with Grant Union HS or any other program that similarly anihilates their opponent. Place them in the appropriate division or bracket where they'll face proper competition that won't be down 56-0 at half or 76-0 after the Q3.

As far as I can tell, many are getting overly upset at the wrong party.
Totally Agree!…. And am not upset at Grant or anyone…. I am just debating the concept of wether or not a coach should call a pass play up 76-7 in the final minutes of the 4th quarter….

To me, you are just rubbing the Kids faces in it at that point, it’s unnecessary…..

I agree with you, the issue is putting all these teams in the wrong divisions just to Game the system so the SJS can have more regional bowl teams…. That is the real issue…..

Just so I understand…. Grant was up 56-0 at the half and 76-0 after the 3rd quarter yet the coach felt they had to prove that they could close the game by throwing a passing TD in the final minutes of the 4th quarter up 76-7 against a bunch of overmatched kids?…..

Makes total sense….. 🤣
OC,

Brotha I don't speak for Grant or the coaching staff. That's just my perspective, having watched them all year. And recognizing what I believe they were doing, playing situational football.

I don't believe Coach Reed, who is a good man, humble, and extremely grateful, was doing what you are suggesting.

There was no bad blood between the two programs, no point spread in Vegas to cover. Grant appeared to be playing situational football.

OC,

Brotha I don't speak for Grant or the coaching staff. That's just my perspective, having watched them all year. And recognizing what I believe they were doing, playing situational football.

I don't believe Coach Reed, who is a good man, humble, and extremely grateful, was doing what you are suggesting.

There was no bad blood between the two programs, no point spread in Vegas to cover. Grant appeared to be playing situational football.
I Hear you Sacchiefs….

But the situation is 76-7 with a couple minutes left in the game with a running clock…. When does that situation call for a pass play for a TD?….. 🤣

I don’t think anything bad about grant and I would Luv to see grant win a SBG!!!…. But the justification that there was any reason to throw for a TD up 76-7 doest make any sense to me….

The Grant Coaches need to be better than that team n my opinion…. But No one from Linden has complained though so that’s all that really matters!…. 🍻

So teaching sportsmanship is out the window at Grant? . Coaching and style dont matter, win at all costs? I would NEVER want my child to play in that system.....WHY you ask? BC 99% of those players will never put pads on again and enter the game of life with a distorted view.....Coaching football is more than winning games...
Bro I am so confused with this response and how you got here. I'm just trying to have a rational conversation, even if we disagree.

my assumption is what your saying essentially is, any team or leadership, (more aptly stated) that is piling up 80 points against an opponent is fine

If it comes during the natural flow of the game and when replacing starters with back ups, yes.

I mean, if Linden or any other team is over-matched to the point of embarrassment or incurring mass injuries— they have the option to forfeit at any time or not even play the game in the first place. That's a decision a head coach needs to make and why they have the title.

But if they choose to take the field and remain on it to play the game out to its conclusion (tacitly saying "we're here to compete and want to compete") — why should the other team be expected to stop playing while the other still gets to play as hard as it can and with its entire playbook? That doesn’t any make sense and isn’t “sportsmanlike“.

Most these kids aren't ever going to play football beyond high school. When the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string guys come in to play, specifically the seniors, they shouldn't be expected to just hand the ball off and run into the line-of-scrimmage the rest of the game. Those kids work hard and practice every day too. They deserve the opportunity to go out there and play without restraint. Which means throwing the ball too.

Additionally, for many of these teams expecting to go deeper into the tournament, the reps and experience for their back ups can often be invaluable. Even in blowouts.

Having said all that, I wouldn't endorse onside kicks, fake punts, calling unnecessary timeouts, or double-reverse passes while up 50 points. But I do think it's more than fair to be running your base, conventional offense.

If the opposing head coach doesn't like that, they shouldn't be running their full offense and continuing to try to score either.

There is such a thing as sportsmanship. I assume you have seen your share of football, and know how that code works.

Agreed. However, sportsmanship also includes being responsible for yourself. And not expecting the opponent to do something you aren't willing to do yourself.

If a game gets that far out of hand, the head coach can opt to forfeit the game. They don't have to subject the kids or their parents to a 104-0 or 82-7 experience for the sake of "pride". By opting to remain on the field, as I said before, they are tacitly saying "We're here to compete. We want to continue competing".

If that's the case, why does the other team shoulder responsibility to stop competing themselves? Couldn't taking a knee the rest of the game or just running dives into the line of scrimmage be considered even more "unsportsmanlike" and "disrespectful"?

When the other team agrees to compete, you owe it to them and yourself to give them your best shot. The only "sportsmanship" thing to do for the team up 50 to 0 at half is to field their 2nd, 3rd, 4th string players -- but also while allowing them to play without too much restraint.

As both a parent and former coach, if my son sparingly played for most his Varsity career then finally got the opportunity to get on the field only to then just hand the ball off 20 times due to the score -- I'd be upset. He'd be upset! That's the only playing time he'll ever get in his life!

Last edited:
Totally Agree!…. And am not upset at Grant or anyone…. I am just debating the concept of wether or not a coach should call a pass play up 76-7 in the final minutes of the 4th quarter….

To me, you are just rubbing the Kids faces in it at that point, it’s unnecessary…..

For me, yeah, I think in the final minute or two of the game it becomes increasing more unnecessary to continue trying to score. My comments were more from the POV of still having a half or quarter to play.

In that case, IDC what the score is. If the other team is willing to continue competing and isn't running dive plays every play in an effort to bleed the clock out, it's fair for the other team to do the same.

If coaching a team up 56-10, I'd match the tactics of my opponent. If they are running their full offense and still trying to score -- I'm doing the same. Except with my reserve players. If they are clearly trying to bleed clock and get out of dodge, I'm doing the same.

In 2014, I remember Folsom calling timeouts and making concerted efforts to get out of bounds to stop the clock so they could tack on another late score against Rocklin while already up 49-21 (with Jake Browning and other starters still in the game). I didn't see that as necessary. But had zero problem with them running their full offense up til the final 2-3 minutes of the game. But calling timeouts and running out of bounds with not much time left? That's a bit much IMO.

If Grant Union did that to Linden, I'd understand the criticism.

If it comes during the natural flow of the game and when replacing starters with back ups, yes.

I mean, if Linden or any other team is over-matched to the point of embarrassment or incurring mass injuries— they have the option to forfeit at any time or not even play the game in the first place. That's a decision a head coach needs to make and why they have the title.

But if they choose to take the field and remain on it to play the game out to its conclusion (tacitly saying "we're here to compete and want to compete") — why should the other team be expected to stop playing while the other still gets to play as hard as it can and with its entire playbook? That doesn’t any make sense and isn’t “sportsmanlike“.

Most these kids aren't ever going to play football beyond high school. When the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string guys come in to play, specifically the seniors, they shouldn't be expected to just hand the ball off and run into the line-of-scrimmage the rest of the game. Those kids work hard and practice every day too. They deserve the opportunity to go out there and play without restraint. Which means throwing the ball too.

Additionally, for many of these teams expecting to go deeper into the tournament, the reps and experience for their back ups can often be invaluable. Even in blowouts.

Having said all that, I wouldn't endorse onside kicks, fake punts, calling unnecessary timeouts, or double-reverse passes while up 50 points. But I do think it's more than fair to be running your base, conventional offense.

If the opposing head coach doesn't like that, they shouldn't be running their full offense and continuing to try to score either.

Agreed. However, sportsmanship also includes being responsible for yourself. And not expecting the opponent to do something you aren't willing to do yourself.

If a game gets that far out of hand, the head coach can opt to forfeit the game. They don't have to subject the kids or their parents to a 104-0 or 82-7 experience for the sake of "pride". By opting to remain on the field, as I said before, they are tacitly saying "We're here to compete. We want to continue competing".

If that's the case, why does the other team shoulder responsibility to stop competing themselves? Couldn't taking a knee the rest of the game or just running dives into the line of scrimmage be considered even more "unsportsmanlike" and "disrespectful"?

When the other team agrees to compete, you owe it to them and yourself to give them your best shot. The only "sportsmanship" thing to do for the team up 50 to 0 at half is to field their 2nd, 3rd, 4th string players -- but also while allowing them to play without too much restraint.

As both a parent and former coach, if my son sparingly played for most his Varsity career then finally got the opportunity to get on the field only to then just hand the ball off 20 times due to the score -- I'd be upset. He'd be upset! That's the only playing time he'll ever get in his life!
I understand where your coming from and of course Linden has the option of forfeit. I disagree with the point that the opponent straped up, thus we continue scoring even with bench players. I'm clearly in the minority with this opinion but that's my take nonetheless.

Is it fair to handcuff your players in ceremonial restraint, probably not but that's been the sportsman paradigm since antiquity, and I'm okay with that. For me, it punctuates the phrase "developing the student athelete on and of the field", but hey I'm not trying to be sanctimonious. I'm just a fat guy that resembles Santa, but like sexier.

Where we can agree, I think is the SJS needs to do a better job in placing teams in league.

It is my understanding that Grant petitioned to get into the SFL (football only). Then when realignment came about they opted out. Perfect league for Grant football, so how is it the SJS/CIF at fault? Where are they supposed to place them?

It is my understanding that Grant petitioned to get into the SFL (football only). Then when realignment came about they opted out. Perfect league for Grant football, so how is it the SJS/CIF at fault? Where are they supposed to place them?
Grants a 3-4th place team in that league right low. (And that’s when grant is strong). In a down year grant is battling Whitney for the bottom spot. Speaks volumes about that league.

What's mind-boggling is

Monterey Trails beat Kennedy 72-0
Monterey Trails beat Burbank 69-0
Folsom beats Whitney 63-19
Manteca beat East Union 69-0
Manteca beat Sierra 50-0
St. Mary beat Tokay 56-0
Central Catholic beat Sierra 63-7.......

It appears that some posters are exhibiting genuine feelings of hate, envy, and jealousy for the Pacer's.

Reactions: ankleassassin
What's mind-boggling is

Manteca beat Sierra 50-0
St. Mary beat Tokay 56-0

It appears that some posters are exhibiting genuine feelings of hate, envy, and jealousy for the Pacer's.
Not at all. I have the same thoughts on any team that intentionally runs up the score. Those scores weren't on the front page so they don't get seen unless digging for it. I personally had this convo with NU's old coach from their heyday....look back on my posts and see complaints about Folsom chasing a TD record for Browning and many others...

What's mind-boggling is

Manteca beat Sierra 50-0
St. Mary beat Tokay 56-0

I hesitate to enter into this discussion, and I'm predicting I might want to delete this post in the future, but here goes:

Monterey Trail is a bad team to use as an example. MT has scored 70 or more points only four times in the history of the school. Three of those came after MT football was inappropriately placed into the Metro. The other time, the series between the schools was cancelled because of the obvious mismatch.

The team's roster is almost always under 35 players so there aren't lot of back-ups to take snaps late in a game. The offense is based on running dive plays, and the dominant philosophy is to make the the game clock run as continuously as possible in order to play the fewest number of snaps. There simply isn't much of a way to call off the dogs.

I hesitate to enter into this discussion, and I'm predicting I might want to delete this post in the future, but here goes:

Monterey Trail is a bad team to use as an example. MT has scored 70 or more points only four times in the history of the school. Three of those came after MT football was inappropriately placed into the Metro. The other time, the series between the schools was cancelled because of the obvious mismatch.

The team's roster is almost always under 35 players so there aren't lot of back-ups to take snaps late in a game. The offense is based on running dive plays, and the dominant philosophy is to make the the game clock run as continuously as possible in order to play the fewest number of snaps. There simply isn't much of a way to call off the dogs.
You shouldn't delete this post. It is noteworthy. You mentioned MT was placed poorly in the Metro league. For me, that's the whole point - Grant was misplaced by the SJS section in playoffs and in hindsight, maybe misplaced in their current league.

Reactions: THEOC89

Monterey Trails is a perfect example to use in this scenario. They scored 70 points on an inferior opponent. 70 is 70 any way that you slice it. And for the record, I don’t have a problem with MT scoring 70.

I am merely pointing out the hypocrisy. Some folks on here were jamming Grant up, but said nothing when other schools have won games by high and/or similar margins.

No need to justify what MT did. They did what they did. More power to them!

And for the record MT could have worked on a spread offense, given the fact that they don’t traditionally throw the ball. They could have also moved the ball downfield and taken a knee; turning the ball over on downs at the goal line. They opted to keep scoring.

Again I have no problem with what MT did. I have a problem with the hypocrisy and solely calling out Grant, when there are several other teams putting up high numbers on inferior opponents.

Last edited:
Monterey Trails is a perfect example to use in this scenario. They scored 70 points on an inferior opponent. 70 is 70 no way that you slice it. And for the record, I don’t have a problem with MT scoring 70.

I am merely pointing out the hypocrisy. Some folks on here were jamming Grant up, but said nothing when other schools have won games by high and/or similar margins.

And for the record MT could have worked on a spread offense, given the fact that they don’t traditionally throw the ball. They could have also moved the ball downfield and taken a knee; turning the ball over on downs at the goal line. They opted to keep scoring.

Again I have no problem with what MT did. I have a problem with the hypocrisy and solely calling out Grant, when there are several other teams putting up high numbers on inferior opponents.
I hope I wouldn't be considered for hypocrisy, I simply don't care or pay attention to outside SFL until playoffs. The exception being the only two teams I follow, my old school in Serra San Mateo and Grant. I do have a board hx of Folsom rants however and score run-ups.

I will confess to jealousy however in message board absolution.

Also good luck to all the teams competing still, I will admit I'm personally nervous about my Thunder v Del Oro tonight. To quote the bulletin board fodder from loomis "they don't want to see us", we will see tonight! Let's go!!!

Reactions: WWHS44
Monterey Trails is a perfect example to use in this scenario. They scored 70 points on an inferior opponent. 70 is 70 any way that you slice it. And for the record, I don’t have a problem with MT scoring 70.

we know why.

I hope I wouldn't be considered for hypocrisy, I simply don't care or pay attention to outside SFL until playoffs. The exception being the only two teams I follow, my old school in Serra San Mateo and Grant. I do have a board hx of Folsom rants however and score run-ups.

I will confess to jealousy however in message board absolution.

Also good luck to all the teams competing still, I will admit I'm personally nervous about my Thunder v Del Oro tonight. To quote the bulletin board fodder from loomis "they don't want to see us", we will see tonight! Let's go!!!
2015!

Reactions: Santa Ball
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT