ADVERTISEMENT

In-Depth look into Oak Grove football

This piece is an example of why the Bay Area is in dire need of quality, high school journalists. Sabedra's article is well researched, provocative, and most of all, incredibly interesting. Kudos to Darren on an excellent journalistic effort.

Really good article. After reading this, I believe Braun should step down. I have lots of respect for Buller and it just seems too many admin and the fact a top player seemed reasonable in his criticism. They were allegations but he read them into being pressured to move up and while he may have misread the coach it just seems too many people want him out. There is a point where it is best to step down. It isn't impacting his teaching position and there are plenty of other programs in need of a coach. He can learn from it and evolve as a coach. No doubt Braun can coach but there is a point to cut losses and agree to disagree and learn. He wouldn't be the first coach to be forced out and sometimes a little break can provide perspective and a learning experience. He very well could be a good coach in the traditional sense, but times have changed. I think the truth is somewhere in the middle and even if it is a change should be made. A learning experience and hopefully it will be resolved soon so as not to disrupt the program.

Reactions: Bubba3000
Sounds like these assistant coaches are forming a coup & want the program.

Hope that is not the case but they certainly are not standing by him.

If they do assume power and take over the program it's definitely a situation where there's been a precidint established and you need to be very careful what you wish for. Just as they have form good relationships with certain players that are pulling for them to take over the same thing could happen to them maybe in a different form, parents, new assistant coach, Etc. I hope the administration smart enough to see that and take everything to due process not just the situation. If the coach does not retain his job take the hiring process through due process Etc. Or it could potentially destroy the program.

To me the thing that speaks volumes are the former coaches and alumni that want him gone

I hear you.

But what are their options? Post the job and get an off campus guy. Pray he is literally willing to give up his life to get the program where community thinks it should be while holding down a real job, paying a mortgage, & taking care of his family.

The turn over this year so far has been catastrophic and coaches quitting is not over yet.

This guy Braun that I don't know of well is a pretty average coach maybe underachieves. But the school fiscally gives him a living . Every day when he clocks in before 8 p.m. 9 months a year as much as he's being paid to be a full-time history teacher he's probably a full-time football coach.

Connecting an on-campus teacher and a football coach is pretty difficult in this area.

IMO unless he's committed some pretty bad misconduct (that may not sound right but I don't think you can quantify curse that in the ministrator is misconduct) should be allowed to coach as long as they want to keep him teacher. Unless it's proven somehow that he's grossly underperforming his duties as a coach. And what would that really mean? Not showing up in August? That's actually when the season sport starts. I'm sure he's doing football duties with how these times are year around starting in January.

Good to see the union is supporting him to basically volunteer his time.

The lesson the Oak Grove administration is going to learn from this is that when you "discipline" someone, no matter how minor the infraction, you put it in writing. I'm betting he will be coaching next year because there is no proof of prior offenses....but out during the season when he says or does something politically incorrect (or maybe something even flat out bad/stupid) and the administration jumps all over him.

A veteran head coach at one of the CCS' top public school football programs, located in the heart of San Jose, getting fired is one of the biggest stories of the year.

A veteran head coach at one of the CCS' top public school football programs, located in the heart of San Jose, getting fired is one of the biggest stories of the year.

Fired from a job that pays somewhere between $3-$5 an hour......:eek:

Looking like lawsuit and monetary settlement coming over due process. School probably should have issued warning in writing and then can pursue if alleged altercations continue.

As two stories in the San Jose Mercury and this thread prove, plenty of people are interested in this development.

I did the calculation once and it was around 10 cents/hour for a typical stipend and including all of the uncompensated hours.

That’s funny, I remember doing the math as well when I coached and I got a similar number; I forget exactly what it was but it was definitely less then a quarter an hour.

There’s always redemption. Coach was given one of two papers to sign- Termination/Resignation- signed the R one. Six years later, new Principal/AD, he’s back. Maybe that’s why he said at the banquet two weeks before being let go, “I plan on being here a loonngg time.” LOL. Hopefully a newer, improved version.

Football Contracts are renewed annually in most CCS schools. Not sure he has a case at all. And why would he want to stay in such a hostile environment? If Buller says he should go then be gone!

Football Contracts are renewed annually in most CCS schools. Not sure he has a case at all. And why would he want to stay in such a hostile environment? If Buller says he should go then be gone!

My brother coached the Oak Grove Rams Junior Pee Wee Pop Warner team for many years winning the national championship once in Florida. His three sons all attended and played football at Oak Grove and he tells me Buller is a class act.

After reading the article all I take away from it is that some players feelings got hurt when the coach told them the truth and "coached" them as a coach not their friend. Too me this is just people who are soft " like much of America now a days" and want a change because it may be too hard or too personal from coach Braun... Suck it up Oak Grove, he seems like a great coach.

Reactions: pantera-cat
When 2 of the previous great coaches OG regret there decision to hire him that tells you a lot. He won 1 title in 10 years basically because of 1 player who couldn't stand him. Last year they lost 2 talented RB's to transfers, that would have never happened under Buller. If he's a great coach he can go build a great program elsewhere. Good luck with that.

Just the Facts: (Braun's Resume at OG)

1. Jay Braun was Head Coach for 9 seasons
2. 67-33 (.670 win %) -according to the Merc
3. 7 League Titles, 1 CCS Open Title (2015)
4. 27-1 last 4 years in League
5. Braun has just as many CCS Titles as Phil Stearns- Huh
6. Braun has one title in 9 Years, Stearns has 1 in 12 years?
7. Ed Buller went 11 years without winning a CCS Title?
8. Braun is only coach in Oak Grove History to win a CCS title and beat (3)
WCAL teams (Mitty, Valley, Saint Francis) doing it

9. Braun yelled at the Vice Principal because he and an AD removed Braun's
daughter from the sideline during the second quarter without telling Braun. She was sent up to the bleachers unsupervised at a school she had already been jumped at
10. Braun has never been written up or had any meetings about behavior in his tenure at OG (according to school records)

Facts are Facts...... PEACE

Just the Facts: (Braun's Resume at OG)

1. Jay Braun was Head Coach for 9 seasons
2. 67-33 (.670 win %) -according to the Merc
3. 7 League Titles, 1 CCS Open Title (2015)
4. 27-1 last 4 years in League
5. Braun has just as many CCS Titles as Phil Stearns- Huh
6. Braun has one title in 9 Years, Stearns has 1 in 12 years?
7. Ed Buller went 11 years without winning a CCS Title?
8. Braun is only coach in Oak Grove History to win a CCS title and beat (3)
WCAL teams (Mitty, Valley, Saint Francis) doing it

9. Braun yelled at the Vice Principal because he and an AD removed Braun's
daughter from the sideline during the second quarter without telling Braun. She was sent up to the bleachers unsupervised at a school she had already been jumped at
10. Braun has never been written up or had any meetings about behavior in his tenure at OG (according to school records)

Facts are Facts...... PEACE
Sterns had the stadium named for him, he was more than just a coach at the school. He took over the program in 1974 from Ken Castles. He built the program and stepped down after the 82 season, so 1 in 9.

Buller actually left OG to coach at SJSU for 3 years and came back as an assistant for 1 so that 11 years is inaccurate.

Neither of them were fired.

Those are the facts!!

Lets see Braun go build his own program, his last year at YB he was 3-4 in the C league.

Some coaches are great, have integrity, earn and give respect when warranted. Others are idiots, but seem to get by without an egregious event upending them. NCP is not privy to every straw piled on the camels back (especially with an on-campus hire where privacy is guarded like Fort Knox; unless the admins are looking for a lawsuit. ) When a (apparent) lone one breaks it, everyone is “surprised,” “shocked,” “look at what he’s won.” Coaches know it; eff up here and there, you’re safe..........but not forgotten.

“according to school records.” Who’s being quoted?
And personnel records are rarely made public unless deposed. Cite the suit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT