ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting - my message about Nancy was deleted? Here is her letter!!!

Jan 25, 2015
Here is the email she sent without the email addresses (even though they are public). Experience the vitriol...

Dear CCS Executive Committee Members and school Administrators and Athletic Directors from Open teams:

I was disappointed to hear reports on the consolation football games played this past weekend and have some concerns about the two that will be played next weekend based on those reports and the attitudes expressed by some of those involved.

As I communicated to the CCS Executive Committee following the approval of the Football Committee Report, which included the consolation rounds of play this year in the Open Division by the CCS Board of Managers, there was some dissensions and resistance, if not direct statements made by coaches stating they would refuse to participate in the consolation rounds.

Do I care if we have consolation rounds in the Open Division of the Football Playoffs? Not at all, but this was what was presented from the Football Committee, discussed at leagues and voted upon by the CCS Board of Managers. CCS President Mahood and I discussed this at length following my learning of the dissension and agreed that the only way to change the format of the football playoffs for this year, as approved by the full Board of the CCS was to hold a special meeting of the full
Board to vote again on the same proposal that they approved a couple of weeks before. This seemed ridiculous since only two leagues voted in opposition to this format and the information had been discussed thoroughly with the Football Committee and then at the league levels prior to this vote, which included consolation rounds of play in the Open Division for this year.

In spite of some of our school's objections to playing a game that "meant nothing" or concerns about "safety" of their student athletes, the games have been scheduled and will be played as the approved Football format for this year was established by the CCS Board of Managers.

This past weekend with the first round of consolation play, there were several incidents. Some coaches openly told officials they were only playing their sophomores since the game meant nothing. Others deliberately called plays and strategized to avoid contact and as one stated it had plays to avoid unnecessary contact to avoid injuries. In one game the officials reported extra pushing and shoving and a disdain from both coaches about why they had to play the game, etc. In one instance it was reported to be unsafe and the teams could not shake hands following the game because of the negative attitudes and
interaction of the players for this stupid game that meant nothing.

What I find interesting is that football is only considered an unsafe game requiring special plays to be called in order to avoid contact with players when a trophy is not on the line. To state that these games are unsafe and that injuries must be avoided when during the season week in and week out, football games are contested regularly with full-contact plays being called that do not result in a trophy, or a league title or a section title-simply a Win. Many teams never get a trophy, they do not win the league title and do not qualify for CCS Playoffs, but they come out every week and play the game without disdain for it meaning
nothing. But now that consolation rounds cannot result in a CCS Championship for the teams involved, these games, are apparently open to the disdainful attitude of coaches who simply do not want to play football I guess. I get it, no one likes to play in the bracket that is going to lead to a championship, but to hear that it means nothing to the kids playing or the coaches coaching is an interesting reflection of our attitudes I guess.

I cannot tell coaches how to coach their teams and will not get involved in what plays they call or what intensity, importance or lack thereof, they put on any contest, but I can't tell you how disappointed I am that our coaches are close to making a mockery of these games because they disagree with the format of play and because they perceive these games, this year to not mean anything. In my time, yes I am admittedly a dinosaur, a win was a thing to strive for in every competition.

If we model and discuss with kids the disdain we have for a competition meaning nothing because there is no trophy at the end, we may have missed the mark of what high school athletics is all about by the width of the grand canyon.

I am very concerned about the two consolation rounds left to play and the attitude of some of our coaches who may be playing in those contests. Their poor attitudes about the game translated into players disrespectful and unsportsmanlike conduct on the field of play…No surprise there. From what the officials and others have reported, it was, in some cases, less than what should be expected and in at least one case, a situation where the game should maybe have been stopped. Just what the coaches wanted.

Administrators at these schools, please speak to your coaches about this issue if you remain in the playoffs. If you are out, you might talk to your coaches about their attitude this last weekend even if they lost in how they represented your school. Encourage them to accept the format for what was approved and to, if not with enthusiasm, at least without disdain, participate at a reasonable level to make these games somewhat competitive (Or at least not obviously NOT competitive) and fun for the
student athletes involved. To do otherwise is to act like a petulant child that did not get their own way Can we not all be adults and accept the format that was discussed and approved and then continue the discussion after the playoffs as to the wisdom of continuing the consolation rounds next year. Of course next year since they may lead to a trophy in CIF Regional play, and since it appears that is the only thing that motivates our coaches to play, it may not be an issue next year.

I'm just very disappointed, disheartened and embarrassed by the reports I have received. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone specifically, but all of us need to work together on this next weekend's consolation contests. Otherwise, what in the heck are we doing in educationally-based athletics? On days like this, with the reports I received, I really wonder what has happened to us.
Thank you for listening and for taking what action and having what discussions you deem appropriate and helpful with your coaching staff in order to preserve some sort of dignity in the consolation rounds in the sport of football in the CCS.

This post was edited on 1/27 1:26 PM by CCSSucks

What did you expect my friend? The CCS powers at be are now embarrassed and I'm thinking are pulling all
the stops for damage control. Just curious but who are the CCS Board of Managers composed of?

here is the list according to the ccs cif website. HOWEVER, its not updated. its only the 2013-2014 list

http://www.cifccs.org/Directory/EX%20COMM%20&%20bom13-14roster.pdf

here is a list of BOM from minutes of the last meeting in october 2014

http://www.cifccs.org/meetings/BOM/Minutes/10-22-14%20minutes.pdf
This post was edited on 1/27 7:25 PM by ds1968

She keeps harping on the " Approval by the Board" and the lack of reason to re-vote after the CIF said that they would not even consider this idea of non section winners being able to apply for the Regional and State games. In fact when the original vote was taken it was done on the premise that the CIF would consider Consolation bracket winners for Regional games. After the CCS learned in October that the CIF would not even consider this idea until January 2015 then a re-vote should have happened. I know voters who with this additional knowledge would have changed their vote. I am sure that Nancy knew this too and too assuage her inflated Ego convinced others to not go to a new vote.

All of this will come out at the Appeal for sure. Serra does not deserve this type of penalty for a meaningless consolation bracket that could and did injure players. Two Valley Christian players suffered concussions in the controlled scrimmage game with Los Gatos. Need any more be said!!

Interesting - my message about Nancy was deleted?

Well you obviously pissed someone off! CCS powers reaching NCP.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT