ADVERTISEMENT

John Torchio offered by Rice Owls

Bubba3000

Hall of Famer
Dec 12, 2012
The only time I saw him was against Granada in the D2 title game and he was truly a man among boys. Most certainly a next level player. I assume he’s being recruited to Rice as a defensive back?

Reactions: coachlittle
He’d be a triple legacy at Cal. Frankly though, some of the sons of California have not panned out compared to their dads.

San Diego, San Jose State, Dartmouth, Columbia, Army and Air Force have all extended their version of offers

The only time I saw him was against Granada in the D2 title game and he was truly a man among boys. Most certainly a next level player. I assume he’s being recruited to Rice as a defensive back?

Funny cause I'd assume it would be as a QB. He's good on both sides of the ball but to me he's a legit QB.

JT is 6'-2". Though he was originally being recruited as a safety, he is now getting as much interest in playing QB after his stellar year under center. An outstanding student, Rice would be a good fit.

I think his best position is safety. With his athleticism, size and the way he attacks downhill, could be a real playmaker on the back end.

He blew at least one guy up that night against Granada and dropped in some nice long touch passes. On Rivals he's listed as a defensive back and on 247 Sports he's listed as an athlete.

Last edited:
JT is 6'-2". Though he was originally being recruited as a safety, he is now getting as much interest in playing QB after his stellar year under center. An outstanding student, Rice would be a good fit.

I think his best position is safety. With his athleticism, size and the way he attacks downhill, could be a real playmaker on the back end.

There is another Quarterback in the DAL I think is being overlooked that unfortunately doesn’t have a last name of Torchio, but made a much bigger impact for his team and from a statistical standpoint has equal or better numbers than Torchio.

Acalanes Quarterback: Robby Rowell
Academics: 4.0+
Physical Stats: 6’-2” 205
Games scheduled and played: 11 (Played 4 less games in schedule, but competed in a much more competitive North Coast Section Division III playoff bracket).
Passing Yards: 2724
TD’s: 41
Int’s: 4
Completion%: 63%
QB Rating: 126.7
Rushing Yards: 539
Yards per Carry: 5.2

Campolindo Quarterback: John Torchio
Academics: ??
Games scheduled and played: 15 (Played 4 more games in schedule, but competed in a very soft North Coast Section Division II playoff bracket).
Passing Yards: 3314
TD’s: 37
Int’s: 8
Completion%: 64%
QB Rating: 120
Rushing Yards: 761
Yards per Carry: 6.3

Head to Head Game: Acalanes 35 – Campolindo 28
Acalanes vs Clayton Valley Charter: CVC 35 – Acalanes 21
Campolindo vs Clayton Valley Charter: CVC 54 – Campolindo 21

IMHO if Robby Rowell had the opportunity to play 4 more games as Campolindo did and some of those games were patsy games Campolindo played in the Division II playoffs, he would have most definitely surpassed Torchio in almost every statistical category.

Again, it’s unfortunate his name and competitive performance from this last season of football is not generating more interest from the powers to be in College football.

Where are the College Recruiters ?
Oh well, his last name is not Torchio.

There is another Quarterback in the DAL I think is being overlooked that unfortunately doesn’t have a last name of Torchio, but made a much bigger impact for his team and from a statistical standpoint has equal or better numbers than Torchio.

Games scheduled and played: 11 (Played 4 less games in schedule, but competed in a much more competitive North Coast Section Division III playoff bracket).

Games scheduled and played: 15 (Played 4 more games in schedule, but competed in a very soft North Coast Section Division II playoff bracket).

IMHO if Robby Rowell had the opportunity to play 4 more games as Campolindo did and some of those games were patsy games Campolindo played in the Division II playoffs, he would have most definitely surpassed Torchio in almost every statistical category.

Again, it’s unfortunate his name and competitive performance from this last season of football is not generating more interest from the powers to be in College football.

Thanks for letting us know about this kid sounds like college scouts have missed the mark bigtime. I don’t know Torchio grades but they gotta be real good with Ivy League offers.

It sounds like right now Rowell has several Ivy League offers and a preferred walk on spot at Cal. Not many quarterbacks get offered this late in the recruiting cycle, as that position is traditionally sewn up verbally by this time.

Last edited:
Rowell is in our final NCP Top 50 for 2018. Was very impressed by him. Has the passing skills and is a legit athlete

Reactions: Bubba3000

Two things: His Jr year 20 TDS to 14 ints probably turned off recruiters.
His name is not Torchio.

An aside: Coaches who promote Jrs are darned if they do/don’t. Fam wants two year starter to recruit. But bad Jr year puts him so far down the list a 41/4 Sr year doesn’t help.

Then there’s the Jr who has to wait for lesser Sr to grad then he’s handed the ball HIS Sr year. But no biggie since he’s being recruited in other sport. Not the formula recruit Fam wants for QB recruitment. Saw both versions during tenure. QB recruit Family got two years starting, then no offer. Dual sporter broke records. Go figure.

Well said 1315. Most players that get offers get most of them the summer after their junior year. The first players to verbally commit are almost always quarterbacks because most teams only sign one quarterback to scholarship each year, as opposed to say three or four offensive linemen each year. I’m sure Rowell’s so so junior year is the main reason he’s so lightly recruited.

Two things: His Jr year 20 TDS to 14 ints probably turned off recruiters.
His name is not Torchio.

An aside: Coaches who promote Jrs are darned if they do/don’t. Fam wants two year starter to recruit. But bad Jr year puts him so far down the list a 41/4 Sr year doesn’t help.

Then there’s the Jr who has to wait for lesser Sr to grad then he’s handed the ball HIS Sr year. But no biggie since he’s being recruited in other sport. Not the formula recruit Fam wants for QB recruitment. Saw both versions during tenure. QB recruit Family got two years starting, then no offer. Dual sporter broke records. Go figure.

Well said 1315. Most players that get offers get most of them the summer after their junior year. The first players to verbally commit are almost always quarterbacks because most teams only sign one quarterback to scholarship each year, as opposed to say three or four offensive linemen each year. I’m sure Rowell’s so so junior year is the main reason he’s so lightly recruited.

Both excellent points.

My only comment would be that Rowell’s growth and performance from his Junior year to his Senior year was outstanding. One would think that shows a tremendous upside with respect to his football intellect and athletic ability as he attempts to move on to the next level of competition. Given the comparison of his Junior year to his Senior year, I would put him in the category of a late bloomer.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, if Rowell had the opportunity to play in an additional 4 games at the end of the season against the same competition as Torchio did his numbers would have been even more impressive.

Passing Yards: 3500 - 4000
TD's: 50+
Rushing Yards: 750 -800

He’d probably be ranked as one of the top Quarterbacks in Northern California.
The recruiters would have had to take notice at that point.

Oh well, we can only go by the real numbers as they are stated today.

WTBS, Torchio and Rowell are both excellent students in the classroom and can play the game of football.

Let’s hope they both can continue their successful endeavors at the next level.

Last edited:
He can play. And as much as FBS/FCS seems like “The” pathway, that is enormously speculative. He will continue to play as folks in Lamorinda need little guidance with the college admissions process. There’s tons of $$ available, especially in the academic D3s (1315.1)

As much as that NLI seems golden, it is not. The QBs I took interest in were EBAL circa 06-11. There were 5 guys all league nominations in ‘11. SRV kid (an Elite 11) had the “chasing dreamitis” more than others. 6 stops on his 5 year NCAA timeclock. Cal(early enroll, RS, then Goff’s backup)-OrSU(didn’t enroll)-Butte (started one year)-Indiana State (backup)- Cal (bumped by Webb)- Fresno (started a few.) Now an Edmonton Eskimo practice squad, and the CFL average salary for ROSTEREd guys is just north of $40,000.

The other Elite 11 only started less than half the games his RSSr year after a long 4 year wait. The EBAL MVP backed up Mariota and then never had a season as a starter.

My point is what really counts is the degree AND the academic reputation of its grantor. Those guys will all be fine in life. From those QBs in that era my guess who’s bringing home the bacon is the guy who never got to start (backing up Luck) and transferred to Columbia.

I should’ve added of the 5, the MVP, 1st and 2nd teamers were all FBS, another (HM) went WCC baseball and the other HM went Delta JC.

Last edited:
He can play. And as much as FBS/FCS seems like “The” pathway, that is enormously speculative. He will continue to play as folks in Lamorinda need little guidance with the college admissions process. There’s tons of $$ available, especially in the academic D3s (1315.1)

As much as that NLI seems golden, it is not. The QBs I took interest in were EBAL circa 06-11. There were 5 guys all league nominations in ‘11. SRV kid (an Elite 11) had the “chasing dreamitis” more than others. 6 stops on his 5 year NCAA timeclock. Cal(early enroll, RS, then Goff’s backup)-OrSU(didn’t enroll)-Butte (started one year)-Indiana State (backup)- Cal (bumped by Webb)- Fresno (started a few.) Now an Edmonton Eskimo practice squad, and the CFL average salary for ROSTEREd guys is just north of $40,000.

The other Elite 11 only started less than half the games his RSSr year after a long 4 year wait. The EBAL MVP backed up Mariota and then never had a season as a starter.

My point is what really counts is the degree AND the academic reputation of its grantor. Those guys will all be fine in life. From those QBs in that era my guess who’s bringing home the bacon is the guy who never got to start (backing up Luck) and transferred to Columbia.

There's a theory that generally speaking, quarterbacks and defensive backs from Nor Cal don't often pan out at the next level due to the passing game being lower caliber, as compared to that in Southern California. This may very well be true. Obviously, there are exceptions like Brady, Rodgers and Goff.

There’s going to be some family pressure to stay home and play for the Golden Bears.

Probably so. Matt Snyder wasn’t a big fan of Cal campus and chose Lincoln instead. There’s also the allure of “going away” to college. Rice has a slightly lower acceptance rate than UCB

Last edited:
Snyder would’ve never been at Cal for:
1. TEs were not part of Dykes’ O (Hudson became invisible) and
2. Snyder was following Riley from OSU.

Rice at 14% and Berkeley 18% is misleading. Rice being private and 3,200 undergrads is very different.
Rice costs 60k full package for all whereas in state for Cal is half that. Taking into account Berkeley offers twice as many in State than out of state, once people see that 42k UCB OOS tuition, parents rethink and wonder if they want their kid with 6,000 other freshmen. Yes, Cal’s entering class has the same number as Rice’s undergrad and grad combined. Those 900 students I shared Chem 1A with was nuts!

Rice’s “yield” (offers to actual students who enroll) is very different than Cal’s. 18k applicants vs 85k for UCB.

The question remains is he PAC 12 material or will he get more PT at Rice? I doubt Wilcox will let the last name determine anything other than an offer, as well he should.

Snyder would’ve never been at Cal for:
1. TEs were not part of Dykes’ O (Hudson became invisible) and
2. Snyder was following Riley from OSU.

Rice at 14% and Berkeley 18% is misleading. Rice being private and 3,200 undergrads is very different.
Rice costs 60k full package for all whereas in state for Cal is half that. Taking into account Berkeley offers twice as many in State than out of state, once people see that 42k UCB OOS tuition, parents rethink and wonder if they want their kid with 6,000 other freshmen. Yes, Cal’s entering class has the same number as Rice’s undergrad and grad combined. Those 900 students I shared Chem 1A with was nuts!

Rice’s “yield” (offers to actual students who enroll) is very different than Cal’s. 18k applicants vs 85k for UCB.

The question remains is he PAC 12 material or will he get more PT at Rice? I doubt Wilcox will let the last name determine anything other than an offer, as well he should.

Snyder took an official visit at Cal and had an offer, he could have gone there if he chose. He didn't much like the way the campus was spread out throughout the city. The facilities at Lincoln are off the hook and it actually came down to Nebraska and Michigan for him. Harbaugh made a strong bid for him, but he remained loyal to Riley.

Since Pac12 is considered power 5 and Conference USA isn't, wouldn't Torchio receive an extra $500 a month beer money at Cal? My understanding is that as of 3 or 4 years ago guys on scholarship at Power 5 programs receive an extra $500 a month above and beyond their full ride scholarship.

Last edited:
Berkeley actually is pretty condensed. Yes, you have to walk up some hills to get to Memorial, but right across the street from campus. 10 years ago before the retrofit, it was skanky. The team would lift by Haas (Harmon Gym before that), and walk up to Stawberry (which they used the grass there before artificial went in) for practice. That sucked as they walked-golf carted if you were a starter- back down to Harmon to shower. Now everything is onsite at Memorial (“The Athletic Performance Center.)

The only thing away from campus, a few blocks only, are the dorms for the frosh players.
Most get apts close by after paying their dues. Training table meals are on campus and next door dorms. Some of the guys get the more spacious rooms at the old School for the Deaf. 3 block walk. The EC apt I holed up in with two of the hoops guys was brand new. They wanted a 5th year respite from Durant/Telegraph. A roster of 15 got fed at the faculty club, “ anything you want guys the chef can make.” “Uhhhh, I’ll take the New York, medium please.” “You must be a guard, you look about 6’” Yessir.

Berkeley is unlike Lincoln for sure. You want 4.4 GPAs and 8 AP classmates, and gypos rolling their own on Sproul? Go there. Want some gals who can hold their Burgies? Lincoln. Want some blondies who can’t, who go home to SoCal to tan and miss half their classes? ASU.

1315, there's this mansion looking multi story house catty corner from Memorial Stadium. I thought I saw football players walking from there to the stadium in the early morning on my way into work. Are you familiar with this huge place?

You guys are spot on. The trick was to get someone from Bowles to host the Greek Theater “pre” event since it separates Bowles and Memorial. Back in the day it was pretty much graduate housing as undergrads had a penchant for volumizing libations versus a fine Malbec or Cab...it was a very well appointed, and now historical housing and hard to get into.
Now, the Bancroft boys even closer to The I-House and Memorial. Not quite Norwegian.

Best Greek concert circa ‘76? Carlos and opening act Huey and “You’ve just heard the News.” Better harmonica than even Norton Buffalo.

You guys are spot on. The trick was to get someone from Bowles to host the Greek Theater “pre” event since it separates Bowles and Memorial. Back in the day it was pretty much graduate housing as undergrads had a penchant for volumizing libations versus a fine Malbec or Cab...it was a very well appointed, and now historical housing and hard to get into.
Now, the Bancroft boys even closer to The I-House and Memorial. Not quite Norwegian.

Best Greek concert circa ‘76? Carlos and opening act Huey and “You’ve just heard the News.” Better harmonica than even Norton Buffalo.

About 40 years ago I saw Jeff Beck at the Greek great show cool when he ripped the strings off his guitar

Reactions: 1315
Torchio verbally commits to the University of Wisconsin as a walk on

Last edited:
Nice example of leveraging offers. Doubt he’ll be another NCS guy to hold a Badger clipboard for 4 1/2 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT