ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Gad off to St. Mary's

That 2022 recruiting class for St. Mary's looks really good

At the St. Mary's unofficial fan site, they all agree there that Gad is a walk-on... And I'd say that since he used the word "committed" in his tweets, he must be a preferred walk-on.

At the St. Mary's unofficial fan site, they all agree there that Gad is a walk-on... And I'd say that since he used the word "committed" in his tweets, he must be a preferred walk-on.
thanks for the info. tough call, go to college and be on the team or go somewhere and play for sure.

Maybe he gets a scholarship one day or maybe financially it’s not a burden. St marys solid school.
Kid can play though. 6”6, athletic, shoots it well.
One thing about the Gaels is you have to put in time.
Even guys like Jordan Ford played sparingly early on.

Maybe he gets a scholarship one day or maybe financially it’s not a burden. St marys solid school.
Kid can play though. 6”6, athletic, shoots it well.
One thing about the Gaels is you have to put in time.
Even guys like Jordan Ford played sparingly early on.
Very good comment Larry Legend. The bottom line is... the kid can play. Period. That was a smart move on his part. He hooked himself up with a Division 1 opportunity and probably will have the possibility of earning a scholarship, because he is talented enough to do so. I believe I heard he wants to be a doctor, so basketball is not his top priority probably. I'm sure he'll have a great experience.

I think if a kid is talented enough, more of them should use the Preferred Walk-On avenue. If a kid signs to any school in CSU Eastbay's league (SFSU, Chico St, Sonoma St, Humbolt St, etc.), the scholarship amount is like $2000 per yr. No budget at all. So if you've gotta pay, may as well shoot for a bigger program if you can handle the talent level.... $2000 isn't much of a scholarship. That's a joke.

Reactions: larry legend33
Very good comment Larry Legend. The bottom line is... the kid can play. Period. That was a smart move on his part. He hooked himself up with a Division 1 opportunity and probably will have the possibility of earning a scholarship, because he is talented enough to do so. I believe I heard he wants to be a doctor, so basketball is not his top priority probably. I'm sure he'll have a great experience.

I think if a kid is talented enough, more of them should use the Preferred Walk-On avenue. If a kid signs to any school in CSU Eastbay's league (SFSU, Chico St, Sonoma St, Humbolt St, etc.), the scholarship amount is like $2000 per yr. No budget at all. So if you've gotta pay, may as well shoot for a bigger program if you can handle the talent level.... $2000 isn't much of a scholarship. That's a joke.
is that something new? if you can play you can get a full scholarship. that does cut into somebody elses though. but even 2000 is more than having to pay full tuition at st marys.

The preferred walk-on route isn't a realistic situation for everyone, but if it is, I do think it has added value over the past few years. With so many transfers and late decisions, being a player who is already in the system, that has worked with the staff might give you an advantage for a remaining scholarship in the last year or two.

at st marys?!?!?!?!
Yes sir. There are 3 tiers…private 70-80k(Santa Clara, USF, Stanford, BU, BC, Cuse) are all in that range regardless of how elite. The less popular for elite students like WCC schools give $ to attract top students and athletes. Out of state public…Wisconsin, IU, UWash, etc land around $50-60k…some like Mich and VA are priced like private. In state public…UC/cal state…15-25. It’s painful.

Why not just go to Chico now and win a d2 national champ. Never Even heard of IUPUI. Uggh: just looked them up. 3-26 last year. Honestly why?
because not everyone loves chico like you do. there are hundreds of other options. and chico aint winning no title.

because not everyone loves chico like you do. there are hundreds of other options. and chico aint winning no title.
Oh, I don’t know about That. You don’t follow the program. Can’t even get the name of school on jersey at this new place. It’s like the Greek kid in Little League. Can I buy a vowel.

Oh, I don’t know about That. You don’t follow the program. Can’t even get the name of school on jersey at this new place. It’s like the Greek kid in Little League. Can I buy a vowel.
new coach at san diego. he didnt recruit him. chico doesnt promise a full scholarship as it was mentioned earlier. iupui does.

new coach at san diego. he didnt recruit him. chico doesnt promise a full scholarship as it was mentioned earlier. iupui
It’s Lavin. Has huge ties to Bay Area. Doesn’t matter if he didn’t recruit him. Monroe was basically a starter/6th man. Be a great person to play for as well. USD is a fine school too. To each his own but at some point music stops.

It’s Lavin. Has huge ties to Bay Area. Doesn’t matter if he didn’t recruit him. Monroe was basically a starter/6th man. Be a great person to play for as well. USD is a fine school too. To each his own but at some point music stops.
It does matter if he didn't recruit you! I signed to play for a coach who saw talent in me. New coach always wants his guys in there. Wtf. Did you go through the recruiting process ever?

Every transfer situation is different. Some of them making logical sense and others are more about jumping ship just because. It is hard to get a real read on these without knowing all of the inner workings.

But lets remember that there are people in their 30s and 40s that change jobs every couple of years in their field. So if they do it becuase they think they found a better opportunity, it stands to reason that 18-22 year old would want to do the same with maybe less life perspective.

Reactions: kiddman32
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT