ADVERTISEMENT

Lincoln SF over Orange Glen 24-13 for 6A Bowl Title

SearsPoints

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lincoln SF beats Orange Glen 24-13 for 6A Bowl Title this afternoon.

That's two in a row for AAA.

Still a joke that the SF Section gets a regional bowl berth. But congrats to Lincoln SF!

So, as of right now, it stands NorCal 4 SoCal 2

Reactions: FBAddict
We await the revisionist history which will declare that the 2018 Lions are the best AAA team ever, ignoring the Polytechnic units from 1949 to 1954 (the Parrots did not lose a league game during that stretch) and St. Ignatius in 1962 and 1963 (19 wins in a row). The 1962 SI team was voted tied for No.1 in the nation by a panel of U.S. prep sportswriters. This year's Lincoln schedule did not include one A league team and the AAA itself has sadly declined to C league status overall. Lincoln played the grantd total of one post-season non-AAA game all year _ today's 6A bowl game. Any talk of AAA "greatness" should be muted right off the bat. Lincoln played no one of consequence this year. A 13-0 record is nice. But let's be very honest. Who did they play?

Last edited:
colhenry. You have made it your crusade to say that Lincoln does not deserve recognition (or any AAA team for that matter). Who has said or claimed anything of "greatness"? They went undefeated with the schedule they had (ie they won the games in front of them) and got a nice break with a direct access to a championship game. That's on the CIF, not the AAA.

Relax, Serra will be just fine. Them losing takes nothing away from the power they have become at a higher tier of competition. Just concentrate on what you makes you feel good and let this group of young men enjoy its recognition. At the end of the day, the State trophy is just as large and the beers they will share in 20 years will be just as cold. Merry Christmas.

Last edited:
Lincoln SF beats Orange Glen 24-13 for 6A Bowl Title this afternoon.

That's two in a row for AAA.

Still a joke that the SF Section gets a regional bowl berth. But congrats to Lincoln SF!

So, as of right now, it stands NorCal 4 SoCal 2
I agree that teams that plays in "a State Championship game" should play at least two games outside league to qualify. But its not the schools fault. Just the CIF for attempting to make more money. Not sure if Camp Fire played a role. IMO.

Reactions: bella123
We await the revisionist history which will declare that the 2018 Lions are the best AAA team ever, ignoring the Polytechnic units from 1949 to 1954 (the Parrots did not lose a league game during that stretch) and St. Ignatius in 1962 and 1963 (19 wins in a row). The 1962 SI team was voted tied for No.1 in the nation by a panel of U.S. prep sportswriters. This year's Lincoln schedule did not include one A league team and the AAA itself has sadly declined to C league status overall. Lincoln played the grantd total of one post-season non-AAA game all year _ today's 6A bowl game. Any talk of AAA "greatness" should be muted right off the bat. Lincoln played no one of consequence this year. A 13-0 record is nice. But let's be very honest. Who did they play?

Man - when this regional bowl system started and Lincoln / Mission got smashed in consecutive years in the bowl "play in" game, I thought the AAA might be better off just playing their league schedule and opting out of the state playoffs. Not fun getting destroyed.

But in the last couple of years with the expansion of the bowl system, the AAA teams have played well against the teams they have faced.

What does this mean for the AAA? Nothing really. The AAA isn't going to get much more respect since this is the lowest division. BUT this does mean there are teams who may be below the best the AAA has to offer.

To the question of "who did Lincoln beat?" Well, they did beat the San Diego Section Division V football champions in Orange Glen. Orange Glen is a 2000 student school which means, Lincoln and Orange Glen have comparable student body sizes. So no more excuses as Galileo beat the tiny Vincent Memorial last year.

Let's face it, the AAA schools are not going to schedule the power houses in football nor with the powers schedule any AAA schools. This isn't college football where there's money involved. So the AAA will usually stick with the middle to lower tier of teams they can compete against.

This is probably why the AAA teams get ranked low in the state bowl system. But oh well, the Mustangs don't care and will enjoy their state win.

Reactions: colhenrylives
Camp fires played a huge role in Lincoln getting their bye in the the championship game . They were supposed to play one of the NCS schools who opted to in their Championship game last weekend

Man - when this regional bowl system started and Lincoln / Mission got smashed in consecutive years in the bowl "play in" game, I thought the AAA might be better off just playing their league schedule and opting out of the state playoffs. Not fun getting destroyed.

But in the last couple of years with the expansion of the bowl system, the AAA teams have played well against the teams they have faced.

What does this mean for the AAA? Nothing really. The AAA isn't going to get much more respect since this is the lowest division. BUT this does mean there are teams who may be below the best the AAA has to offer.

To the question of "who did Lincoln beat?" Well, they did beat the San Diego Section Division V football champions in Orange Glen. Orange Glen is a 2000 student school which means, Lincoln and Orange Glen have comparable student body sizes. So no more excuses as Galileo beat the tiny Vincent Memorial last year.

Let's face it, the AAA schools are not going to schedule the power houses in football nor with the powers schedule any AAA schools. This isn't college football where there's money involved. So the AAA will usually stick with the middle to lower tier of teams they can compete against.

This is probably why the AAA teams get ranked low in the state bowl system. But oh well, the Mustangs don't care and will enjoy their state win.

Your analysis is much better and fairer than my earlier diatribe which, in retrospect, was too harsh and unkind.

I'm not sure Lincoln would have won the Lake Division.

Carlmont, the 2018 Lake champion, would have given the Lions a tough challenge if the Scots were healthy. But their performance vs. Burlingame in the CCS Division IV finale was utterly inept.

I'm not sure Lincoln would have won the Lake Division.
I feel that they would have won the Lake. Lincoln plays disciplined football with a solid line (not a super Huge Line compared to WCAL or other Leagues But big for AAA) and they have good skilled players.

Great for Lincoln but lets be honest, no Norcal game and your signature win is vs Piedmont. Not the signs of state champion. I could find several .500 clubs that would beat Lincoln. But hey the system is what it is and they followed the path to state that was in front of them.. Congrats!!

Carlmont, the 2018 Lake champion, would have given the Lions a tough challenge if the Scots were healthy. But their performance vs. Burlingame in the CCS Division IV finale was utterly inept.

Lincoln dropped Carlmont after getting running clocked last year in Belmont. Carlmont was better in 2018, so my guess is that the result would have been similar. Lincoln had no clue how to defend them and didn't cross the 50 on offense. Again this is just my opinion based on the previous head to head competition.

Carlmont played horribly in the final, but I also feel like they over achieved all year and peaked in the Independence game. They lost their best defensive player in that game #21, he did not play in the final. And Burlingame is very good which goes without saying.

Keep in mind that this was a very bad team just a few years ago, and you get an idea about how far they have come. The true test will come as they move up a league next year, and a tougher non league with the likes of SHP along with Independence and Palo Alto added. I like what is happening with this program hope it continues to improve.

Reactions: SPortela24

We really need to stop disrespecting both Burlingame and Carlmont like that.

Carlmont held both Terra Nova and Sacred Heart Prep to 21 point a piece. That's better than Aptos did against either school.

Burlingame is one of the better programs in the PAL. They would have easily been top 2 or 3 in the Bay Division this past season. They simply have the misfortune of having to play in the Open Division II every year which is basically a WCAL bracket.

Carlmont beats Lincoln 42-0.

I feel that they would have won the Lake. Lincoln plays disciplined football with a solid line (not a super Huge Line compared to WCAL or other Leagues But big for AAA) and they have good skilled players.

I get that and don't get me wrong, being from San Francisco I take notice.

I saw Lincoln at Carlmont last season and it was not pretty at all.

I saw the SHP / Jeff / Lincoln / Balboa Jamboree this season and Jefferson treated Lincoln like a JV team. Lincoln obviously beat El Camino and Cap. They'd likely beat Woodside and Mills.

But Carlmont was the CCS Division 4 Finalist and beat both Willow Glen and Independence .

Jefferson had the #12 Total Offense in the CCS. Per game, they were #6. Whole different beast from ElCo and Cap who weren't even top 50.

I get that and don't get me wrong, being from San Francisco I take notice.

I saw Lincoln at Carlmont last season and it was not pretty at all.

I saw the SHP / Jeff / Lincoln / Balboa Jamboree this season and Jefferson treated Lincoln like a JV team. Lincoln obviously beat El Camino and Cap. They'd likely beat Woodside and Mills.

But Carlmont was the CCS Division 4 Finalist and beat both Willow Glen and Independence .

Jefferson had the #12 Total Offense in the CCS. Per game, they were #6. Whole different beast from ElCo and Cap who weren't even top 50.
I wasn't surprised when Lincoln lost to Carlmont last year and watching Lincoln last year they were the on paper the 3rd best team in AAA so it was expected. But this year everything clicked for them and I seriously doubt.the same outcome would've happened if they played Carlmont. And Sure I wish Lincoln didn't have a Bye to the State Championship but hey Pleasant Valley and Colfax byes to the State Championship as well so should they get called out for having an "easy road"

Reactions: PhotoGuy_271
Speaking of the AAA / SFS - I checked out what happened to Rio Vista and Vincent Memorial (who Galileo played on their way to the state title). Both Rio Vista and Vincent Memorial did not get anywhere close to the state game. Rio Vista make the sectionals but fell. Vincent Memorial looked like they didn't even make it out of their league playoffs.

Too bad for all teams (including Galileo). Sometimes these state games are a "once in a lifetime" affair.

I wasn't surprised when Lincoln lost to Carlmont last year and watching Lincoln last year they were the on paper the 3rd best team in AAA so it was expected. But this year everything clicked for them and I seriously doubt.the same outcome would've happened if they played Carlmont. And Sure I wish Lincoln didn't have a Bye to the State Championship but hey Pleasant Valley and Colfax byes to the State Championship as well so should they get called out for having an "easy road"

That's not really my argument against the AAA's cupcake road to state though. Pleasant Valley and Colfax both play in bigger, tougher sections. The Sac Joaquin Section has 174 schools. The Northern Section has 74 Schools. For shits and giggles lets just put it out there that the Central Coast Section has 150 Schools, The North Coast Section has 171 schools while the Central Section has 104 Schools.

The AAA has 7.

I'm from San Francisco and will pull hard for any team from SF in the playoffs or regionals, including the 3 Privates (who are CCS by the way). However, I went to school in the Peninsula and played with a few guys later on who played in the AAA. It used to get extremely annoying hearing from the kids who played in the City about how they won the sorry ass Turkey Bowl, got a ring for it and thought for a second they were better than us because of it. Sure, it's a great game. High School football on Thanksgiving at Kezar and the alumni show up. Truth is they'd be lucky to make it out of round 1 of any CCS playoff bracket.

And the same can be said for the OAL and the Silver Bowl. The reason they don't get as much shit as the AAA is because Mack is actually good. Skyline was actually good before them. Had Lincoln been asked to play a regional game versus Burlingame or TKA that game is over before halftime.

Had last year's Galileo team been asked to play Gilroy or Christopher, they would have gotten destroyed.

Reactions: bella123
That's not really my argument against the AAA's cupcake road to state though. Pleasant Valley and Colfax both play in bigger, tougher sections. The Sac Joaquin Section has 174 schools. The Northern Section has 74 Schools. For shits and giggles lets just put it out there that the Central Coast Section has 150 Schools, The North Coast Section has 171 schools while the Central Section has 104 Schools.

The AAA has 7.

I'm from San Francisco and will pull hard for any team from SF in the playoffs or regionals, including the 3 Privates (who are CCS by the way). However, I went to school in the Peninsula and played with a few guys later on who played in the AAA. It used to get extremely annoying hearing from the kids who played in the City about how they won the sorry ass Turkey Bowl, got a ring for it and thought for a second they were better than us because of it. Sure, it's a great game. High School football on Thanksgiving at Kezar and the alumni show up. Truth is they'd be lucky to make it out of round 1 of any CCS playoff bracket.

And the same can be said for the OAL and the Silver Bowl. The reason they don't get as much shit as the AAA is because Mack is actually good. Skyline was actually good before them. Had Lincoln been asked to play a regional game versus Burlingame or TKA that game is over before halftime.

Had last year's Galileo team been asked to play Gilroy or Christopher, they would have gotten destroyed.
CTFU the Turkey Bowl lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT