ADVERTISEMENT

Loyola of Marymount

WivitBear

Sports Fanatic
Sep 9, 2001
I read that recently, Loyolla was going to drop 5 sports. Can't remember what they were. I can see more colleges doing this since according to Clay, high school students don't car what school they go to as long as they can major in sports.

Personally, i support University of Cal women's basketball by buying 5 season tickets and by making a nice donation. But if the students don't care what school they go to then why support a program that loses money.

The university made the announcement back on Jan. 23 that the men's cross country, men's rowing, men's track and field, women's rowing, women's swimming and women's track and field programs would be discontinued after this season. The cuts will impact 115 student-athletes, five full-time coaches and two part-time coaches, according to the university website. After the cuts, the university will sponsor 14 athletic programs, the minimum requirement for the West Coast Conference, of which LMU is a part.

Cal, on the other hand, supports about 30 intercollegiate sports, one of the largest commitments in the country. And there are always concerns that because of that, the major sports are underfunded.

And to be clear on wvit's point, I feel elite athletes in sports with professional leagues are not that interested in majoring in sociology and are primarily in school to further their athletic careers (whether that be playing, coaching or in a related industry). Cross country runners are not picking their schools based on their future in sports.

I'm not sure why you would support a program that doesn't care about athletics. Cal has been a sinking ship and completely irrelevant in almost EVERY sport, especially on the women's side. Imagine an institution like Cal, NOT being able to be relevant in MOST women's sports teams. The AD, Provost, President...they're all underperformers with regards to the athletic program.

Reactions: ClayK
I'm not sure why you would support a program that doesn't care about athletics. Cal has been a sinking ship and completely irrelevant in almost EVERY sport, especially on the women's side. Imagine an institution like Cal, NOT being able to be relevant in MOST women's sports teams. The AD, Provost, President...they're all underperformers with regards to the athletic program.
Cal women are second in the nation in gymnasttics. Usually win the swimming and diving titles. Are top 10 in water polo and crew. So should every college that underperforms just get rid of all there minor sports and save a lot of money. So if half the colleges in the US get their programs for women, you ar3e OK with that.

Reactions: Forderer
Cal women are second in the nation in gymnasttics. Usually win the swimming and diving titles. Are top 10 in water polo and crew. So should every college that underperforms just get rid of all there minor sports and save a lot of money. So if half the colleges in the US get their programs for women, you ar3e OK with that.
Not at all, and that's what I'm saying. What I am saying is that Cal is a Pac-12 school, in arguably one of the best conferences (power 5) and have never been releveant in basketball, volleyball, soccer, softball, football, baseball. If you look at all of the other pac-12 schools each school has at least ONE good program in the major sports or a relevant team.

Are you telling me that Cal Athletics is a good program? For being a tier 1 public academic school in the world, none of their teams can crack top 30 in any major sport for both men and women's. They continue to hire inadequate coaches and the administration doesn't care. UCLA, Stanford, USC (just the teams in CA) put money into their program. What has Cal did in the last 20 years to improve their facilities? NOTHING. I stand by what I said about the admin being incompetent. When was the last time that anyone said, hey that's a great hire for men or women's sports?

Not at all, and that's what I'm saying. What I am saying is that Cal is a Pac-12 school, in arguably one of the best conferences (power 5) and have never been releveant in basketball, volleyball, soccer, softball, football, baseball. If you look at all of the other pac-12 schools each school has at least ONE good program in the major sports or a relevant team.

Are you telling me that Cal Athletics is a good program? For being a tier 1 public academic school in the world, none of their teams can crack top 30 in any major sport for both men and women's. They continue to hire inadequate coaches and the administration doesn't care. UCLA, Stanford, USC (just the teams in CA) put money into their program. What has Cal did in the last 20 years to improve their facilities? NOTHING. I stand by what I said about the admin being incompetent. When was the last time that anyone said, hey that's a great hire for men or women's sports?
Calhas been in the final four in both basketball and volleyball. They won the NCAA championship in softball. When Aaron Rogers was here we were number 5 in the nation. Jason kidd took us to the sweet sixteen and beat Duke. Do you know your history?

Calhas been in the final four in both basketball and volleyball. They won the NCAA championship in softball. When Aaron Rogers was here we were number 5 in the nation. Jason kidd took us to the sweet sixteen and beat Duke. Do you know your history?
When was the LAST time they had a first round football pick? When was the last time they were in a final four? The history you're talking about is ancient. Aaron Rogers and Kidd was both 20+ years ago. In the last 20 years, what have they done to be relevant? AGAIN, when was the last time they made a hire where people was like..hey that's a GREAT hire? When was the last time they won a Pac-12 championship (yes pac 12), men or women's?

FWIW
Cal softball early 200's
Kid-1993
Aaron Rogers-2004-05isih?
Volleyball-mid 2000's?

USF had two championships too...in the 50's...are they a basketball powerhouse?? FFS man...

The wheezng elephant in the Berkeley room is Cal's massive debt load, courtesy of the extensive makeover of its football facilities and related athletic digs. The mortgage payments, along with weak media rights payouts, continue to weigh on the school's ability to pay top coaches. It's a formula for mediocrity, long-term.

Last edited:
When was the LAST time they had a first round football pick? When was the last time they were in a final four? The history you're talking about is ancient. Aaron Rogers and Kidd was both 20+ years ago. In the last 20 years, what have they done to be relevant? AGAIN, when was the last time they made a hire where people was like..hey that's a GREAT hire? When was the last time they won a Pac-12 championship (yes pac 12), men or women's?

FWIW
Cal softball early 200's
Kid-1993
Aaron Rogers-2004-05isih?
Volleyball-mid 2000's?

USF had two championships too...in the 50's...are they a basketball powerhouse?? FFS man...
They win the men's national water polo championships regularly. Also women's and men's swim team. Also are national Rugby champs quite regularly. Plus men's crew. Is that enough or do you want more.

Again, M-A-J-O-R sports. who goes and watches rugby or swim? Again, I ask, and you haven't answered...when was the last time Cal hired a coach that everyone was like, hey, that's a good hire?

I get it...you probably went to Cal and are one of those die-hard fans who think the athletic program is a perennial winner because the rugby program went undefeated in front of 100 people and yell at people to "take off that red shirt"

Again, M-A-J-O-R sports. who goes and watches rugby or swim? Again, I ask, and you haven't answered...when was the last time Cal hired a coach that everyone was like, hey, that's a good hire?

I get it...you probably went to Cal and are one of those die-hard fans who think the athletic program is a perennial winner because the rugby program went undefeated in front of 100 people and yell at people to "take off that red shirt"
Was Mike Montgomery a good coach?

Mark Madsen, recent enough for you?

He was asked for a good hire. I felt Madsen was a good hire, given his experience and local ties. Whether he will become a great hire or not is still to be determined.
To my original question. So any college program that is not superior should drop all their sports programs and save money.

To my original question. So any college program that is not superior should drop all their sports programs and save money.
NO! but how about hiring competent coaches or admin that will build a program worthy of the conference it's in? I imagine that alumni are sick of playing second fiddle to stanford in virtually every sport, and being the whipping horse of the conference..

NO! but how about hiring competent coaches or admin that will build a program worthy of the conference it's in? I imagine that alumni are sick of playing second fiddle to stanford in virtually every sport, and being the whipping horse of the conference..
You never acknowledge when I correct you. When you asked whom Cal who was drafted in the major sports and I replied Goff as the number one pick in the NFL draft, you didn't acknowledge it. Or Jaylin Brown as the number 3 pick in the NBA draft.

The colleges have a rating for the best schools in all sports. If I told you that Cal was in the top 10 would you believe it.

You never acknowledge when I correct you. When you asked whom Cal who was drafted in the major sports and I replied Goff as the number one pick in the NFL draft, you didn't acknowledge it. Or Jaylin Brown as the number 3 pick in the NBA draft.

The colleges have a rating for the best schools in all sports. If I told you that Cal was in the top 10 would you believe it.
I would probably not believe you. You keep tap dancing around the fact that while you had a #3 and #1 players in the draft, the teams over the last 20 years (again major sports) have been abysmal, collectively. In 20 years the best hire you could give me was Montgomery. One! and someone else said Madsen who I like and hope does well. Lets look at their outstanding performances in the last 5 years. This is why i would say I don't believe you lol

Last 5 years
Volleyball-no NCAA Appearances
Basketball-no NCAA appearances
Soccer-2/5 and haven't gotten past the first round in the current coach's tenure
softball-no NCAA Appearances
Water Polo-3/5, 2 second-round appearances
Field Hockey-1 NCAA appearance

Baseball-No NCAA appearances
basketball-No NCAA appearances
Football-two bowl games, barley over .500 2/5 years
Soccer-1/5 NCAA appearances
Water Polo-3/5 NCAA appearances

Also, the rankings have MIT, Princeton, Harvard, Penn, Colombia, and Johns Hopkins in their top 10. And Cal was 11! Ask any sports enthusiast and nobody would agree with what most of those say. Those rankings have academics,

NCSA understands that the college experience includes more than just athletics for student-athletes. For this reason, NCSA uses a variety of data sources to compile our rankings.

NCSA Power Rankings are based on proprietary analysis of “NCSA Favorites” data obtained from the college search activity of the millions of student-athletes on the NCSA recruiting network, U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges general academic rankings, and the U.S. Department of Education College Scorecard graduation rates and average cost after aid.

I would probably not believe you. You keep tap dancing around the fact that while you had a #3 and #1 players in the draft, the teams over the last 20 years (again major sports) have been abysmal, collectively. In 20 years the best hire you could give me was Montgomery. One! and someone else said Madsen who I like and hope does well. Lets look at their outstanding performances in the last 5 years. This is why i would say I don't believe you lol

Last 5 years
Volleyball-no NCAA Appearances
Basketball-no NCAA appearances
Soccer-2/5 and haven't gotten past the first round in the current coach's tenure
softball-no NCAA Appearances
Water Polo-3/5, 2 second-round appearances
Field Hockey-1 NCAA appearance

Baseball-No NCAA appearances
basketball-No NCAA appearances
Football-two bowl games, barley over .500 2/5 years
Soccer-1/5 NCAA appearances
Water Polo-3/5 NCAA appearances

Also, the rankings have MIT, Princeton, Harvard, Penn, Colombia, and Johns Hopkins in their top 10. And Cal was 11! Ask any sports enthusiast and nobody would agree with what most of those say. Those rankings have academics,

NCSA understands that the college experience includes more than just athletics for student-athletes. For this reason, NCSA uses a variety of data sources to compile our rankings.

NCSA Power Rankings are based on proprietary analysis of “NCSA Favorites” data obtained from the college search activity of the millions of student-athletes on the NCSA recruiting network, U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges general academic rankings, and the U.S. Department of Education College Scorecard graduation rates and average cost after aid.
Men won the NCAA championship in Swimming and water poloe. Water olo won the NCAA championship the last three years. Rugby is a perennial winner.

Men won the NCAA championship in Swimming and water poloe. Water olo won the NCAA championship the last three years. Rugby is a perennial winner.
Did you not know that the softball team went to the NCAA regionals last year and won 2 games. Lost to Oklahoma but everyone lost to Oklahoma. Will bemuch better this year. Maybe got the best high school pitcher in the country.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
Norcal_Fan: I follow the vast majority of Cal's sports and I can provide you an education that you badly need. The Bears are nationally ranked in several sports (most of them Olympic sports) and have won a couple national titles last year and one this season so far.

You have one valid point. Most Cal fans are aware of a lack of AD support compared to the football factories of the SEC, etc. The Pac 12 Conference folded this year for just such a reason.

If you want to get into with me, I can do it publicly or privately. If one goes back twenty years (instead of five) you'll be surprised that Cal played for the national championship in volleyball and was in the final four in women's basketball, etc. They won the national championship in softball and were in the national title game for four consecutive years. Cal's strength is in the water sports: both mens and womens swimming, both mens and womens water polo, both mens and womens crew (rowing), etc. It's 11:21 pm and I trade the stock market every morning early. I'll be turning age 75 this month so I need my sleep. GO BEARS!

Norcal_Fan: I follow the vast majority of Cal's sports and I can provide you an education that you badly need. The Bears are nationally ranked in several sports (most of them Olympic sports) and have won a couple national titles last year and one this season so far.

You have one valid point. Most Cal fans are aware of a lack of AD support compared to the football factories of the SEC, etc. The Pac 12 Conference folded this year for just such a reason.

If you want to get into with me, I can do it publicly or privately. If one goes back twenty years (instead of five) you'll be surprised that Cal played for the national championship in volleyball and was in the final four in women's basketball, etc. They won the national championship in softball and were in the national title game for four consecutive years. Cal's strength is in the water sports: both mens and womens swimming, both mens and womens water polo, both mens and womens crew (rowing), etc. It's 11:21 pm and I trade the stock market every morning early. I'll be turning age 75 this month so I need my sleep. GO BEARS!
ok, so we dont care about cal... the most important thing you said was the stock market!!! TELL US MORE ABOUT WHAT TO BUY/SELL!!!! we know it surely aint cal athletics.

I’m glad you outed yourself as being a Cal fan and supporter. Every (almost) supporter has their head in the clouds and thinks they are a relevant sports program when it’s been a long time since they’ve been relevant in major sports. And I probably should have prefaced that and don’t remember if I did. I remember asking you plenty of questions that went unanswered because you probably don’t want to openly bash the athletic program who is at no fault of their own is on ehe shoulders of the administration for making stupid hires. I will admit Madsen has been a a breath of fresh air and hope he stays.

That says, nobody cares about water polo, field hockey or fencing. NCP’s is dedicated to major sports. Football, volleyball, basketball, baseball, softball and I would argue soccer.

madsen has them in 7th place and under 500.. i noticed a player on the team is on his 4th school and is studying entrepreneurship certificate program. that def is a move in the right direction for cal to get them transfers of all walks in.

Cal will never become a quasi-junior college on steroids. It's not going to happen.
Cal is rated number 10 in softball. Has won three straight NCAA men's swimming. Is number two in gymnastics, . The Women's basketball had a winning season and might even make the NCAA's. Baseball is playing well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT