ADVERTISEMENT

M-A schedule a doozy

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
The Bears, representing a public school that's part of the Sequoia Union High School District and situated right in the heart of the highly-competitive WCAL and its aggressive army of supporters, will play Bellarmine, Serra, Folsom, East (Salt Lake City) and Arroyo Grande as non-league foes in 2019. Then there are five Peninsula Athletic League Bay Division opponents, including Burlingame, Aragon, Terra Nova, King's Academy and Sacred Heart Prep. Menlo-Atherton, a defending CIF bowl game champ in 2018, doesn't avoid challenging itself.

Last edited:
Very good schedule, but Bellarmine should be a walk in the park for M-A. The Bells have nowhere near the talent of M-A.

I think most expect Serra vs. M-A to be a good game. Look how the Bells have stacked up to the Padres recently. They haven’t scored against Serra since 2016.

Reactions: colhenrylives
I like how M-A is challenging themselves, but I think they are taking a step too far scheduling teams like Folsom. We will see if they are in that class, only one way to find out.

Reactions: THEOC89
The coaching change is what makes it even more difficult. Ravipati was excellent and brought a lot to the program there. Remains to be seen how the new coach adjusts to the school and team.

Very good schedule, but Bellarmine should be a walk in the park for M-A. The Bells have nowhere near the talent of M-A.

I think most expect Serra vs. M-A to be a good game. Look how the Bells have stacked up to the Padres recently. They haven’t scored against Serra since 2016.

Arroyo Grande? Any info?

Didn’t M-A’s qb transfer? Making way for incoming transfer QB from SHP? Heard a lot about this promising player...Thoughts?

If that’s the case they better figure out who will be under center for the non league, because the SHP kid will have to sit for 4-5 games.

Arroyo Grande - 8-4 last year, 26.4 Calpreps rating, lost in the 2nd round to Buchanan last year in the Central Section playoffs.

If that’s the case they better figure out who will be under center for the non league, because the SHP kid will have to sit for 4-5 games.

They have a freshman Matt MacLeod who won them the CCS title game against Wilcox when he came in the second half and played in the NorCal game.

I assume the competition is between him and the SHP sophomore transfer Raymond Price. Probably why the junior Jack Alexander left.

This is the type of schedule you have when you have players with college offers and one of the top Sophs in the country. They have the talent to play with the "big boys"

Transition of program. To be honest Folsom may win by 50. Utah, Serra and Folsom are three different styles of offense. I enjoyed the MA run last year but don’t think they will win their league. Next year with the new system and staff in place they will get better.

One of the things I hear often is that MA wins because they have a loaded roster. That the coach can either manage it and do well or screw it up. They still have very good players. Managed well they will have success. Managed badly....

MA will pound Bellarmine but lose the next 3 by 35+
That's what they thought when Palma RB Anthony Villegas sliced through the middle of the MA defense untouched for the TD and the win in OT against the Bears last season. Actually Bells should be better than last season and if they control the ball they are tough to defeat. Not so sure about MA being such a favorite in this one.

Arroyo Grande is a good program. They may still run the Fly offense (haven't seen them in a while) brought in from a coach priest from Palma (Father Ron Shirley) years ago. Palma has played them a couple times in the past and they have been good games. Overall they AG tends to reload as a quality program but not sure if this is an average year or stronger one for them. Not an easy win and they tend to have good lines and are disciplined team.

I like how M-A is challenging themselves, but I think they are taking a step too far scheduling teams like Folsom. We will see if they are in that class, only one way to find out.

This a a great year to go for it. With 95% of their coaching staff moved on, Folsom might be ripe for an upset despite the returning talent. If this was last season, I'd give MA no shot. But in a transition season, and with the way the MA program has been ascending, it seems more than possible this season.

Kudos to them for wanting to find out on the field. Respect.

MA graduated some good talent, but they are still returning a bunch more. Very challenging schedule in non conference. Good luck to the Bears.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT