ADVERTISEMENT

Maxpreps National Top 25 Pinewood now at 23

Good heavens. Any set of rankings is speculative, especially national rankings. Fans of female hoops ought to be pleased that someone (anyone) takes the time and trouble to care about this stuff on a regular and consistent basis, whether it's Clay K. or someone else. It's not a big deal at all. It's just something to gab about, a pleasant diversion if you will. Come to think about it, maybe a thank-you is in order at this point.

I am confused, Max Preps has Pinewood ranked #22 in the country and not higher because an assistant coach at Pinewood coaches at a club not affiliated with Clay? What is the reasoning behind ESPN not ranking Pinewood?
Good heavens. Any set of rankings is speculative, especially national rankings. Fans of female hoops ought to be pleased that someone (anyone) takes the time and trouble to care about this stuff on a regular and consistent basis, whether it's Clay K. or someone else. It's not a big deal at all. It's just something to gab about, a pleasant diversion if you will. Come to think about it, maybe a thank-you is in order at this point.
I think Guru is pretty much shown himself and his hatred. This is not the first time he has attacked Clay and lobbed a conspiracy theory his way. Pinewood is ranked nationally by Max Preps and not ESPN so maybe the angle is with ESPN not Clay.

YES!!!

Salesian beat Centennial (#9 in your rankings) and Pinewood beat Salesian...

so how is Centennial ahead of PW?????

and wasn't Incarnate Word Academy a top 10 team (in some publications) when PW beat them in Hawaii???

at this point I guess results on the court don't matter anymore as CTK is 4-4 and STILL #15 in the country

to be perfectly honest Ive been holding off in getting in on this discussion as I thought Clay would come to his senses...

but I think...

MY NEXT POINT NEEDS TO BE MADE

I really don't want to accuse Clay on any rankings bias/dislike/prejudice BUT....as I read his takes and scratch my head I have unfortunately come to the conclusion that there may be more at play with the rankings that meets the eye.

Everyone knows Clay is at MM and a big part of Cal Stars. And we all know how successful the Cal Stars top program has been over the last decade and how they routinely draw stud girls from not only the entire state but the entire west coast.

Well last yrs squad was not at the usual level of excellence and was not even the best AAU team in California.

THAT honor fell to Team Taurasi.....

and lo and behold who is the head coach at Team Taurasi????

PW assistant coach Alex Carbonel....

sour grapes???

or maybe just don't want to give PW the recognition they deserve because of fear that will be used to recruit girls this next AAU season?

We all know how cutthroat hi level HS basketball is in the AAU world.

And the coaching staffs don't like each other from the 2 programs....in fact let me rephrase that......

THEY DESPISE EACH OTHER

so just one mans take on the PW rankings issue....take it for what its worth

You may be right or wrong, but all the high school kids know about the excellence of all the AAU programs: cal stars, Taurasi, Peninsula Elite, Cagers, Fever, etc. Having a high school ranked lower or higher will not effect a kid's decision.

Besides, Fever is related to Pinewood. Taurasi not as much
YES!!!

Salesian beat Centennial (#9 in your rankings) and Pinewood beat Salesian...

so how is Centennial ahead of PW?????

and wasn't Incarnate Word Academy a top 10 team (in some publications) when PW beat them in Hawaii???

at this point I guess results on the court don't matter anymore as CTK is 4-4 and STILL #15 in the country

to be perfectly honest Ive been holding off in getting in on this discussion as I thought Clay would come to his senses...

but I think...

MY NEXT POINT NEEDS TO BE MADE

I really don't want to accuse Clay on any rankings bias/dislike/prejudice BUT....as I read his takes and scratch my head I have unfortunately come to the conclusion that there may be more at play with the rankings that meets the eye.

Everyone knows Clay is at MM and a big part of Cal Stars. And we all know how successful the Cal Stars top program has been over the last decade and how they routinely draw stud girls from not only the entire state but the entire west coast.

Well last yrs squad was not at the usual level of excellence and was not even the best AAU team in California.

THAT honor fell to Team Taurasi.....

and lo and behold who is the head coach at Team Taurasi????

PW assistant coach Alex Carbonel....

sour grapes???

or maybe just don't want to give PW the recognition they deserve because of fear that will be used to recruit girls this next AAU season?

We all know how cutthroat hi level HS basketball is in the AAU world.

And the coaching staffs don't like each other from the 2 programs....in fact let me rephrase that......

THEY DESPISE EACH OTHER

so just one mans take on the PW rankings issue....take it for what its worth

Well there are a few games on tap this weekend not just in girls basketball but the NFL playoffs.

Ill take Colts over Texans and Chargers over Ravens in the AFC. Seahawks over Cowboys and Eagles to squeak past the Bears.

Strike that. I just noticed Houston Texan's star player DeAndre Hopkins is dedicating his game performance and playoff check to Jazmine Barnes a 7 year old killed recently. So I'll be pulling for the Texans no doubt. I like to see the Ravens over the Chargers but it's revenge game that I think the Charger will find a way to pull it out.

I'll take Centennial over Windward this weekend. And Mitty vs Sacramento will be one of the interesting local match ups this weekend. Along with Clet @ SMS who is always tough at home even though they're young and not at full strength. Then there's Antelope vs California, SHCP VS Salesian, and SJND VS Mater Dei also on 1/5/19. I like SJND but Mater Dei will be the favorites and they won't be easy to beat. Then the other local shootouts in Pittsburg and other places should also be good games.

Any games stand out to anyone?

Last edited:
Mitty 81 - Sacramento 54

Congratulations to Mitty !

I definitely had them favored. But couldn't imagine home field advantage would be worth almost 30 points. That is a very convincing win. Every team matches up differently with every team. So you really don't know how things will play out. That's why they play the game(s) I also said Mitty IMO while in Arizona, hadn't developed the chemistry they would have in mid to late season. Perhaps they are starting to play better together? I think (but I could be wrong) Haley Jones is the only returning starter off last years team? If so, that is why I thought it would take time to get in sync. I think you (SouthBayHoopFan) know the Mitty team far better than I do.

>over the last decade I have seen a certain grey haired gentleman coaching (while barefoot) numerous Cal Stars teams. So unless there is another coach who looks EXACTLY like CLAY I'm calling BS.

OK, I hate to keep going over this, but ...

Several years ago, I spent two springs and summers coaching sixth and seventh grade teams for Cal Stars. I wasn't all that good, and I disliked the travel. I never played against or saw Team Taurasi (and I still don't know who Alex Carbonel is).

The last two years, I have coached a recreational level team for Cal Stars that plays in a league run by MVP sports. We have amassed three wins in those seasons, and though we played a couple local tournaments the first year, after losing a game 44-0 it was decided it was not a good idea to send girls who had never played before and/or never played together against organized teams.

I am not a member of the Cal Stars' "brass," I don't go to tryouts, I don't even know which teams the Miramonte girls are on, and I see the teams play once a year. It is true that the older teams practice at Ultimate Fieldhouse on occasion, which is where my rec league girls practice, so it's possible the "brass" and I are in the same building, but I have never watched one of the traveling Cal Stars' teams practice there.

Sorry to keep harping on this, but my connection with the top Cal Stars teams is so tenuous as to be non-existent, and to accuse me of bias because of this imaginary connection does bother me. I don't claim my rankings are perfect, and there are many mistakes, but they are not because of anything to do with Cal Stars.

Clay, when "they" say you have a connection to the top Cal Stars team, they're meaning your connection to Kelly. They're just to dumb to say it. Don't worry about it..haters gonna hate!

Well there are a few games on tap this weekend not just in girls basketball but the NFL playoffs.

Ill take Colts over Texans and Chargers over Ravens in the AFC. Seahawks over Cowboys and Eagles to squeak past the Bears.

Strike that. I just noticed Houston Texan's star player DeAndre Hopkins is dedicating his game performance and playoff check to Jazmine Barnes a 7 year old killed recently. So I'll be pulling for the Texans no doubt. I like to see the Ravens over the Chargers but it's revenge game that I think the Charger will find a way to pull it out.

I'll take Centennial over Windward this weekend. And Mitty vs Sacramento will be one of the interesting local match ups this weekend. Along with Clet @ SMS who is always tough at home even though they're young and not at full strength. Then there's Antelope vs California, SHCP VS Salesian, and SJND VS Mater Dei also on 1/5/19. I like SJND but Mater Dei will be the favorites and they won't be easy to beat. Then the other local shootouts in Pittsburg and other places should also be good games.

So far my Colts over Texans pick and my Centennial over Windward both covered. Last time I Checked Cowboys were beating the Seahawks. So I might lose on that pick. Anyone with a score on Clet vs SMS? Or Antelope vs California? Salesian vs SHCP or SJND vs Mater Dei?

Disservice? I don't think it's a disservice. Maybe Pinewood doesn't care about a national championship and only cares about CA? I don't know but you can't knock them for playing a good schedule...
I can tell you that the folks at Pinewood put education first and basketball second. Pinewood did not attend the TOC because it is finals week and they cannot miss finals. As far as rankings go Doc does not lose any sleep worrying about the MaxPreps rankings. It's all about bringing out the best in his student athletes and playing sound fundamental basketball. His teams are disciplined, hard working and as you can see those girls totally enjoy playing the game as a unit. I was fortunate enough to watch all three games at the WCJ and there were teams that were bigger and more athletic than Pinewood however the disciplined fundamentally sound PW beat them.

Now is it fair to say that Clay is biased the answer is "YES" however his bias is based on not being able to witness every top level team and utilizing the information that is available to him such as D1 commits and prospects. It's always a crapshoot and thus it is an educated ranking based on such knowledge. I agree that PW should be ranked higher and as always we all have our opinions and that is why this message board.

I believe that Clet, Salesian, and Mitty will ultimately determine where Pinewood ends up at years end.

Reactions: Paytc
So far my Colts over Texans pick and my Centennial over Windward both covered. Last time I Checked Cowboys were beating the Seahawks. So I might lose on that pick. Anyone with a score on Clet vs SMS? Or Antelope vs California? Salesian vs SHCP or SJND vs Mater Dei?
Salesian 66 SHC 60 I believe. I could be wrong about the final but Salesian won by 6.

Salesian 66 SHC 60 I believe. I could be wrong about the final but Salesian won by 6.

Did you see the game? Must have been a good game. I must say you were quick to put me and anyone smart enough to listen up on this season's SHC'S team. They are typically under rated but keep bouncing back year after year. Good for them ! I'm sure they will have more post season work to accomplish as they continue to improve. Salesian has a lot of fire power. If they would develop better chemistry and floor leadership they'd be a seriously dangerous team. Hopefully Nia Chinn, Salesian ace 3 point shooter's MRI was good news. Did she play? If not do you know if she's returning soon, or out for the season?

Did you see the game? Must have been a good game. I must say you were quick to put me and anyone smart enough to listen up on this season's SHC'S team. They are typically under rated but keep bouncing back year after year. Good for them ! I'm sure they will have more post season work to accomplish as they continue to improve. Salesian has a lot of fire power. If they would develop better chemistry and floor leadership they'd be a seriously dangerous team. Hopefully Nia Chinn, Salesian ace 3 point shooter's MRI was good news. Did she play? If not do you know if she's returning soon, or out for the season?

I was at the game. .It was a good game although the refs tried to ruin the game for both teams early. Salesian was up 17 end of the 3rd and going into the 4th and SHC cut it to 3 but couldn't get over the hump. SHC has a good young team with their best ball handler and playmaker out with a broken ankle. Hopefully she will be back by the end of the regular season. SHC always has talent it's just a matter of how fast they can put it together. Talo Li should be 1st team All Bar Area, and they have some nice young pieces to go along side her. They also play a tough preseason schedule so it's always hard to gauge by their record unless you see them in person. Salesian had 2 players out one with arm brace on and Nia Chinn out on crutches. I'm not sure how long they are out for.

I was at the game. .It was a good game although the refs tried to ruin the game for both teams early. Salesian was up 17 end of the 3rd and going into the 4th and SHC cut it to 3 but couldn't get over the hump. SHC has a good young team with their best ball handler and playmaker out with a broken ankle. Hopefully she will be back by the end of the regular season. SHC always has talent it's just a matter of how fast they can put it together. Talo Li should be 1st team All Bar Area, and they have some nice young pieces to go along side her. They also play a tough preseason schedule so it's always hard to gauge by their record unless you see them in person. Salesian had 2 players out one with arm brace on and Nia Chinn out on crutches. I'm not sure how long they are out for.

1st team all bay area for Talo? Bit of a stretch. Little of a homer call? Solid player for sure

Shc is always a well coached machine. They work hard all 32 minutes.

Hey all my NFL picks won except Seattle but that was a draw because they had 2 points and pushed.

Next week NfL picks should be interesting. I think at least one of the AFC home teams will lose. KC is playing a hot Colts team. And The Patriots have a tough Charger team coming to town. To early to say which AFC home team is most likely to get upset. Then in the NFC Eagles play Saints and Cowboys take on the Rams. I think the same thing is likely to happen. I will go out on a limb and pick the Cowboys to upset the Rams. I think the Saints will make it to the Super Bowl in the NFC. Based on the fact KC has a bad defensive coordinator, I think the Chargers have the best shot to go in the AFC. But the Patriots are always a threat until taken out.

Who won the SJND vs Mater Dei game?

Be on the lookout for Pinewood's invasion into Clet's small gym this week.

Last edited:
They should feel right at home. Have you ever checked out Pinewood's closet?

Yes, I have been there. Pinewood would feel at home even on the road regardless to the gym. It should be a pretty good game. My guess is the gym will be pretty full. So it should be loud and rocking !

Yes, I have been there. Pinewood would feel at home even on the road regardless to the gym. It should be a pretty good game. My guess is the gym will be pretty full. So it should be loud and rocking !
Do you think Carondelet will pull the refs out of the crowd like we did last year?

1st team all bay area for Talo? Bit of a stretch. Little of a homer call? Solid player for sure

Not a stretch or homer call at all. Sounds like you been sippin a little hatorade...I've seen just about everyone play so I'm speaking from what I've seen. Who do you have on your list? On a team that was supposed to be "rebuilding" again as you all say she will have her team finishing ranked in the top 10 and if they don't end up going Open they should be competing for another division 1 chip again. This class is not that strong but I'd be interested to hear who you have on your list. Aside from the obvious fighting for a spot in Jones, Bamburger, Choice, Angel Jackson, and Sweeney, Jump, who do you have? Right now she's playing point forward leading the team in scoring, rebounding and assist. I'm not sure what the criteria is for that team but aside from Jones, IMO she's just as good and means just as much to her team if not more than anybody else on that list.

Side note* Returning from last years list combining all 3 teams of active players (some players out with injuries this year): Jones, Jackson, Jump, Astrom, Bamburger, Choice, Flores, Talo Li. Doesn't see to far of a stretch to me bro. She can play with any of the above mentioned names on this list.

How many players are there on the 1st team All Bay Area? If there are 5 like there should be, then it’s a stretch. If there are 10 or more then she should be in the mix.

How many players are there on the 1st team All Bay Area? If there are 5 like there should be, then it’s a stretch. If there are 10 or more then she should be in the mix.

I'm not sure how many there are or what the criteria is but what I do know is these are the 7 that remain on the list from last year. From these 7 it doesn't seem like a stretch to me but hey I guess the players get just as much respect as the program does which isn't much at all on this board

Last edited:
Do you think Carondelet will pull the refs out of the crowd like we did last year?

I guess that will depend on the kind of game the refs call. The best games are the ones where the refs send a message early to keep the game from getting out of control. And so you know what they will and will not call. So players can adjust their game to how it's being called and be less likely to foul out or get in foul trouble. And then you almost don't even know the refs are there. Not games that refs have a big impact of the outcome of the game. I kind of recall the refs getting pulled out of the crowd at some game, but I don't recall the game. Was it the game at Pinewood? If so that wasn't the best evening as I think the refs were a couple hours late. But the refs had nothing to do with the loss. Clet was totally out coached and out played. A little too big and a little to slow. And too soft sagging in on defense. Which you can't do on a 3 point shooting team. But hey getting better match ups on the floor and playing tighter defense is decided by coaching.

I recall the refs doing all they could to help Foothill beat Clet at Foothill a couple years ago but Clet managed to "Win Anyway" . And remember the refs pulling themselves out of a back door less than a second after the overtime game ended. That would have been the only loss in league for Clet since Monte Vista beat them twice. Clet has only two league defeats in about the last 8 years. The last time Clet loss in league was to Monte Vista in the 2012- 2013 season.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how many there are or what the criteria is but what I do know is these are the 7 that remain on the list from last year. From these 7 it doesn't seem like a stretch to me but hey I guess the players get just as much respect as the program does which isn't much at all on this board

I am total agreement with shc being a very strong team. They compete hard every game, and always schedule tough opponents. Nothing but respect for them and their coach. I've watched Talo play for two years now and I think for her to make an all bay area team last year (City bias?) was definitely a stretch. She should make a team this year, but she wouldn't be a first teamer in my opinion. But what do I know. Wouldn't be shocked if she did make first team either.

Not a stretch or homer call at all. Sounds like you been sippin a little hatorade...I've seen just about everyone play so I'm speaking from what I've seen. Who do you have on your list? On a team that was supposed to be "rebuilding" again as you all say she will have her team finishing ranked in the top 10 and if they don't end up going Open they should be competing for another division 1 chip again. This class is not that strong but I'd be interested to hear who you have on your list. Aside from the obvious fighting for a spot in Jones, Bamburger, Choice, Angel Jackson, and Sweeney, Jump, who do you have? Right now she's playing point forward leading the team in scoring, rebounding and assist. I'm not sure what the criteria is for that team but aside from Jones, IMO she's just as good and means just as much to her team if not more than anybody else on that list.

Ok. Valid points. I would have to think about it, but how many spots available would also be good to know as well. Obviously all the girls on your list are deserving. What about Ila Lane, Paige Uyehara, Leilani Augmon to name a few. Shc would be a great team without her as well imo. Coach Russell has a great system and always has a great game plan.

Ok. Valid points. I would have to think about it, but how many spots available would also be good to know as well. Obviously all the girls on your list are deserving. What about Ila Lane, Paige Uyehara, Leilani Augmon to name a few. Shc would be a great team without her as well imo. Coach Russell has a great system and always has a great game plan.

Lane is at Woodside Priory right? I don't think they would consider that a bay area team for her to make the list. If I'm going by my criteria lol which doesn't mean anything I don't think the strength of schedule of the teams of the players you listed would be equal to the teams and coaches of the players I've listed. Yes, those teams have better records but they haven't played against anybody. I like Paige also but I'd like to see more consistency against the top level teams I guess.

Lane is at Woodside Priory right? I don't think they would consider that a bay area team for her to make the list. If I'm going by my criteria lol which doesn't mean anything I don't think the strength of schedule of the teams of the players you listed would be equal to the teams and coaches of the players I've listed. Yes, those teams have better records but they haven't played against anybody. I like Paige also but I'd like to see more consistency against the top level teams I guess.

I can live with that

How is Woodside Priory not a Bay Area school? It's a member of Pinewood's league, the very strong WBAL.

How is Woodside Priory not a Bay Area school? It's a member of Pinewood's league, the very strong WBAL.

Key work is "think". I don't know much about the school or it's location. I know the player from AAU. WBAL strong? In comparison to what?

Well just when things in the discussion about Pinewood and how much they deserved to be ranked higher they take a loss to a tough pretty familiar foe in Carondelet. I had to raise Clet's ranking on my poll significantly, along with Mater Dei who beat Clet. Pinewood fell 6 slots with the 1 loss to a battle tested tough Clet. The games coming up like Mitty vs Salesian, Salesian vs Pinewood and Clet vs Mitty will definitely have an impact. onball8 no doubt will get a kick out of the 4 consecutive California teams I have ranked in the middle of my California/ Westcoast heavy poll. But hey this poll is based on the limited Knowledge I have on teams across the nation. And my observation of the way many of these teams played at the Nike TOC. I think my top 12 is pretty solid. 13-30 was a lot more difficult to sort out. But remember my old saying "any good and well coached team can upset or beat just about any other good team that is on pretty much the same level."

I'm sure Pinewood will bounce back in March. They will get another tough test from Salesian. Does anyone know if Nia Chinn is returning soon or out for the season?
SMS losing Young, Pinewood's guard with knee injury, MM De Los Santos and other team inuries really sucks IMO.

https://norcalpreps.forums.rivals.com/threads/girls-basketball-nations-top-30.20742/

Last edited:
Reactions: basketba11
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT