ADVERTISEMENT

Menlo-Atherton

Of course. But I bring up M-A because in order to win one of the open Divisions you have to or even stand out in the CCS you have to kick the WCAL out of the way. Aragon hasn't done that in a while.

M-A will highly likely be D-I again this year. The only WCAL team that plays D-I is Bellarmine. You think the Bells improve enough to become a threat by year's end? This happened in reverse two years ago.

M-A will highly likely be D-I again this year. The only WCAL team that plays D-I is Bellarmine. You think the Bells improve enough to become a threat by year's end? This happened in reverse two years ago.

From what I recall M-A went to an RPO Heavy offense that year when Conrad was lost for the season and Johnson was inserted.

MA got lucky. They score on a fumble recovery on a double handoff (bad play call by Mitty getting cute) then have a lineman pick up a fumble and run down the sideline to setup their go ahead score. They were clearly outplayed and couldn't defend Mitty's pass game. They shouldn't have won the game especially after their terrible effort in the 3rd quarter but in football the better team doesn't always win.

Palma will give MA everything they can handle before they lose to Valor Christian in a blowout. I expect Terra Nova and potentially Aragon to handle the Bears in PAL play as well before they lose to someone in the semis of CCS again.

Mitty will learn from this and make their run in the WCAL. If these two teams played again in a few weeks I would take Mitty big again.

Tough shit. Remember when De La Salle was driving on Euless-Trinity a few years backs and fumbled on a double reverse which was scooped and ran back by Trinity? Again, tough shit.

Reactions: GOTF and MC415
JV Football: Menlo Atherton 13 Palma 7 Final. Int by MA after Palma had on MA 14. MA ran back but penalty. MA ices. MA missed 35 yard fg earlier

Palma 26 MA 20 Final in OT
Was one of the better games I've seen in a while for Palma.MA will need to get rid of the mistakes when they face Valor Christian. It seems MA d-line may have worn out some in second half which I would have thought would happen with the undersized Palma. MA QB picked it up in second half both passing and running, and Troy Franklin made some incredible catches even when covered by the Palma DBs. Palma DBs are really good this year - best I've seen in many years. Palma defense also is very good. MA's LB Heimuli looked really good in the middle and was very physical (he delt it out there) as was Ngalu.MA's Hawkins was also very good and stout in the middle. Palma juniors Anthony Viegas and Jon Jon (Jo Jo per the announcer) Berry are stars. Viegas is a D1 prospect. Palma QB was off in the beginning but made some nice throws against the stout MA defense. I think MA had 5 turnovers - 2 Ints, 3 lost fumbles (one deep in red xzone and one on kickoff return). I think Palma Punter Martinez who also had 2 Ints on defense had 2nd 65 yard punt in last two games. By the way, the burgers and pulled pork are really good and the MA venue and fans were very nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: jordan24
Palma 26 MA 20 Final in OT
Was one of the better games I've seen in a while for Palma.MA will need to get rid of the mistakes when they face Valor Christian. It seems MA d-line may have worn out some in second half which I would have thought would happen with the undersized Palma. MA QB picked it up in second half both passing and running, and Troy Franklin made some incredible catches even when covered by the Palma DBs. Palma DBs are really good this year - best I've seen in many years. Palma defense also is very good. MA's LB Heimuli looked really good in the middle and was very physical (he delt it out there) as was Ngalu.MA's Hawkins was also very good and stout in the middle. Palma juniors Anthony Viegas and Jon Jon (Jo Jo per the announcer) Berry are stars. Viegas is a D1 prospect. Palma QB was off in the begiing but made some nice throws against the stout MA defense. I think MA had 4 turnovers - 2 Ints, 2 lost fumbles (one deep in red xzone and one on kickoff return). I think Palma Punter Martinez who also had 2 Ints on defense had 2nd 65 yard punt in last two games. By the way, the burgers and pulled pork are really good and the MA venue and fans were very nice.

If you would, give us your top 5 or 6 teams in the Santa Cruz-Monterey-San Benito-South Santa Clara County region.

If you would, give us your top 5 or 6 teams in the Santa Cruz-Monterey-San Benito-South Santa Clara County region.
I agree with 813CCSChamp

Palma
Aptos
Carmel
Salinas
Hollister (San Benito)

I was very surprised Terra Nova didn't roll Alisal by more. Seems MA will be the favorite in the PAL Bay although they had 5 turnovers against Palma. Rarely can win a game with that many and MA pretty much self destructed against the Chieftains while the Chieftains played well. Aptos offense is really good, but Palma should matchup physically with them this year so give Palma edge over Aptos. Carmel played well against Salinas and Salinas has some issues but they could rebound and Hollister seems not to be able to defend the pass again this season and lacks physicality but they seemed to match up against and rebound against Los Gatos. In general it seems Palma is better than last season, Aptos may be close to lst season but maybe a tad not as physical, and Carmel is better than last season. Salinas not as strong as last season and Hollister looks down compared to last season or similar.

Last edited:
I agree with 813CCSChamp

Palma
Aptos
Carmel
Salinas
Hollister (San Benito)

I was very surprised Terra Nova didn't roll Alisal by more. Seems MA will be the favorite in the PAL Bay although they had 6 turnovers against Palma. Rarely can win a game with that many and MA pretty much self destructed against the Chieftains while the Chieftains played well. Aptos offense is really good, but Palma should matchup physically with them this year so give Palma edge over Aptos. Carmel played well against Salinas and Salinas has some issues but they could rebound and Hollister seems not to be able to defend the pass again this season and lacks physicality but they seemed to match up against and rebound against Los Gatos. In general it seems Palma is better than last season, Aptos may be close to lst season but maybe a tad not as physical, and Carmel is better than last season. Salinas not as strong as last season and Hollister looks down compared to last season or similar.
Because of the terra nova game I would put Alisal at 6 and maybe Monterey at 7 then Christopher at 8. Seaside at 9 and Scott’s valley at 10. I feel like 6-10 are interchangeable.

Because of the terra nova game I would put Alisal at 6 and maybe Monterey at 7 then Christopher at 8. Seaside at 9 and Scott’s valley at 10. I feel like 6-10 are interchangeable.
Seaside defeated Monterey (by 3) and I agree all are relatively close and probably interchangeable. Salinas has a game to get better while Palma has a bye week before they face off. Chieftains v Cowboys is a rivalry game and should be fun. May of the players went to school and played in the youth leagues together or against one another. It will be a big alumni night for Chieftains.

Reactions: 831ccschamp
Seaside defeated Monterey (by 3) and I agree all are relatively close and probably interchangeable. Salinas has a game to get better while Palma has a bye week before they face off. Chieftains v Cowboys is a rivalry game and should be fun. May of the players went to school and played in the youth leagues together or against one another. It will be a big alumni night for Chieftains.
Wish the seaside Monterey game was either later in the year or the first game for both teams. I feel it was an advantage for Monterey to have a game under their belt already. I also don’t think that Gabilan division should have as many teams as it does. Gilroy, seaside, Christopher, Alvarez are all competing for the four spot and don’t stand a chance in open division play off brackets. In a perfect world I think the pacific coast league would add another B division. I’m sure that won’t happen due to how many automatic qualifies the top division would get. I hope one day they improve on the format of the equity league.

Reactions: FormerD1Backer

Monterey beat Seaside.

Alisal played Terra Nova tough but in the end Terra Nova's high octane offense just to much to overcome. Alisal one dimensional on offense- however their ground game is pretty physical. Backs run hard. Terra Nova QB is talented. Agree that teams 6-10 are interchangeable at this point.

Was anyone else surprised that hollister beat Los Gatos? That almost has me thinking they might be better than Salinas.

I think people are bearish on M-A this year after falling below expectations last year. They have the talent to be pretty interesting, but they were in the same boat in 2017.

This week vs. Mitty is interesting with the Monarchs looking real good against Oakdale last week

Bearish LOL - I see what you did there. Kudos!

Reactions: NorCalSportsFan
I’ll take the easy way out and put the teams in tiers.

Tier 1
Palma
Aptos

Tier 2
Carmel

Tier 3
Salinas
Hollister

Tier 4
Monterey
Watsonville
St. Francis
Seaside
Christopher
Scotts Valley
Alisal
Carmel will be in dilemma at end of league because it looks like they will run the table in league. Will they opt up or not to open d3 playoffs. Palma and Aptos are probably a level higher as well some of the d3 teams in other leagues. I think they should opt up because they may be competitive.

Carmel will be in dilemma at end of league because it looks like they will run the table in league. Will they opt up or not to open d3 playoffs. Palma and Aptos are probably a level higher as well some of the d3 teams in other leagues. I think they should opt up because they may be competitive.
If they run the table- then absolutely yes
Carmel will run the table and won’t opt up. I don’t think they would do anything to make an argument for them to be in the Gabilan.

Aptos
Carmel
Palma
Hollister
Salinas

I assure you Carmel will opt up. Competing for the D3 title is possible with their group. They would roll teams by 50 in the B league consolation playoffs.

If they stay healthy Carmel could compete in D3, but I would be very surprised if they opt up. Beat Pacific Grove, Get better every Game, Make playoffs those are the 3 goals that Carmel strives for every year in that order. As a whole the coaching staff does not care that much about the state bowl games. The only team in league that may stay close is Alisal, just because they are so big upfront and can control the tempo a little bit.

As far the top teams in the area I like Speed's tier system and I would agree. You could make an argument for Alisal and Monterey in the Tier 3 section and I would include Gonzales in the tier 4 section.

Oh and because this is a MA post, props to Palma for pulling off the biggest surprise in the CCS so far. MA is a hard team to figure out. Was this a letdown after the big win vs Mitty?

If they stay healthy Carmel could compete in D3, but I would be very surprised if they opt up. Beat Pacific Grove, Get better every Game, Make playoffs those are the 3 goals that Carmel strives for every year in that order. As a whole the coaching staff does not care that much about the state bowl games. The only team in league that may stay close is Alisal, just because they are so big upfront and can control the tempo a little bit.

As far the top teams in the area I like Speed's tier system and I would agree. You could make an argument for Alisal and Monterey in the Tier 3 section and I would include Gonzales in the tier 4 section.

Oh and because this is a MA post, props to Palma for pulling off the biggest surprise in the CCS so far. MA is a hard team to figure out. Was this a letdown after the big win vs Mitty?
I agree with you I think Golden and his staff would feel very accomplished winning a D5 title. To your point about a state bowl game that adds to an already long season with not a ton of depth on the roster.

If the Padres finish 10-0 and healthy why not jump into the big pool? At 10-0 they would most certainly be ticketed to the Gabilan division- regardless of how they fare in the playoffs.( Whether their program should be bumped to the Gabilan is another debate ) Lets see how it plays out. And yes- congrats to Palma for a quality win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT