ADVERTISEMENT

National League

SPortela24

Sports Fanatic
Aug 8, 2009
Just bored on a Thursday so I thought I'd make this thread.

10 schools decide to formally drop state affiliation and play a national schedule against one another. Who would be the 10 programs? Keep in mind this is all hypothetical and based soley on the football and the maintained success of those programs involved. I don't want to hear the old "De La Salle would never do that, they stand for something bigger than football" argument.

This is about 10 programs that hold of a proven track record of success going head to head to determine a true national champion.

Well you’d have the schools that are always willing to play OOS and alsmot all private. You could eliminate any Texas team right off the bat. First they never go on the road and they’d never give up chance for a state title in Texas, so no team like Allen, LT etc. would be on the list. Off top of my head,

SJB
CC
SFA
SJC
St. X
STA
IMG
Miami Central
Bishop Gorman
St. Louis

I’d remove Centennial-Corona from the list. They’ll take on all comers, for sure, but rarely travel far to do it.

IIRC the furthest they’ve traveled in recent years is Las Vegas and/or Phoenix. They’ve never seemed willing or able to travel up to NorCal to face DLS (other than for a SBG which I believe the CIF covers).

They are an IE public and don’t seem to have the resources to do a lot of traveling.

Reactions: bella123
Just bored on a Thursday so I thought I'd make this thread.

10 schools decide to formally drop state affiliation and play a national schedule against one another. Who would be the 10 programs? Keep in mind this is all hypothetical and based soley on the football and the maintained success of those programs involved. I don't want to hear the old "De La Salle would never do that, they stand for something bigger than football" argument.

This is about 10 programs that hold of a proven track record of success going head to head to determine a true national champion.
I’m laughing because when I saw the thread title I thought it was about baseball

SJB
STA
IMG
BG
SFA
SJC
MC
BC
DBP

These 9 teams have proven over the last few years to be able to travel the country and play at an elite level
So just start a private school/academy league and take them out of other competition completely? I am with this! Level the playing field. Allow those who want to join the circuit, to apply as well. Could be fun!

I would add DLS and Christian Brothers Missouri. Now that would be a serious murders row of a league.

Yeah, DLS is a pretty big omission. They've traveled all four corners of the U.S. for games over the years. While they often receive flack from out-of-state homers for their 8-8 record against programs outside of CA -- those games are almost always against National top 25/50 (top 1%) level opponents. They rarely lose to a program outside of the top 50/100. There's not many out there that can say the same.

I've always said this to those that overstate the OOS factor. DLS doesn't lose because they face OOS programs. They lose (sometimes) because the team they played is a top 25/50 caliber opponent. It doesn't matter where said team is located because they sometimes lose in CA too when the opponent is top 25/50 level. Considering that is the level of opponent they most often seek out when scheduling OOS -- it's no shock that those games are usually extremely difficult.

Folsom is a fringe National top 25 right now --- and for sure top 50. And guess what? They gave DLS a tough game and arguably might have won had a few breaks and calls gone their way.

In summary, it's the caliber of opponent -- not where the team is located.

Yeah, DLS is a pretty big omission. They've traveled all four corners of the U.S. for games over the years. While they often receive flack from out-of-state homers for their 8-8 record against programs outside of CA -- those games are almost always against National top 25/50 (top 1%) level opponents. They rarely lose to a program outside of the top 50/100. There's not many out there that can say the same.

I've always said this to those that overstate the OOS factor. DLS doesn't lose because they face OOS programs. They lose (sometimes) because the team they played is a top 25/50 caliber opponent. It doesn't matter where said team is located because they sometimes lose in CA too when the opponent is top 25/50 level. Considering that is the level of opponent they most often seek out when scheduling OOS -- it's no shock that those games are usually extremely difficult.

Folsom is a fringe National top 25 right now --- and for sure top 50. And guess what? They gave DLS a tough game and arguably might have won had a few breaks and calls gone their way.

In summary, it's the caliber of opponent -- not where the team is located.

Good post brother. I wonder who is the lowest ranked team (ranking as of game time) to beat DLS? Might have to do some research when I get a chance.

Reactions: ThunderRam
SJB
STA
IMG
BG
SFA
SJC
MC
BC
DBP

These 9 teams have proven over the last few years to be able to travel the country and play at an elite level
I believe Grayson, Ga will travel outside of the south if their money was right. They've traveled to Alabama, Florida and Louisiana. Hoping Grayson's coach Mickey Conn gets the heart to travel west to play a BG, SJB, MD, DLS or Folsom before he retires. Grayson has beaten the likes of Hoover, AL (twice), Ramsay, AL, Central, FL, and Deerfield Beach, FL. The same goes for Colquitt County in regards to traveling under ex Hoover, AL coach Rush Propst. C.C has beaten solid out of state opponents but coach Propst has not taken his team past the Mississippi River. Would love to see a top team from the West schedule either Grayson or Colquitt County in this decade. I'm sure a lack of monetary resources is the reason the two Nationally known Georgia programs don't travel far. Last year Vista Murrieta of the Southern Section lost to Georgia power Colquitt County 26-7 in Georgia. It would be great for both the South and West if a West private like DLS, Bishop Gorman, SJB or MD traveled to Georgia to play one of these two national powers. It would be best to schedule the game in Mid October to cut down on the humidity and heat. The weather in Georgia the past few days has been beautiful. Sunny sky's and not humid.

Reactions: aztecpadre
Better league, no DH!

Riggght !
At least when the pitcher is on deck, know it is time for an armchair pitstop, runnning the circuit from the boy's room to refrigerator refuel to sliding back into daddy's front row Barcolounger personal reserved seating........all within 3 quick strikes.

Reactions: observer22
Know this is all theoretical and pipe dream material but wouldn't such a program require 5 travel games per program to make any competition meaningful?

It seems with the exception of IMG most HS with OOS games have at most 2 such games, with 1 game perhaps from a marquee cross country matchup and a 2nd more close to home OOS game.

Reactions: pantera-cat
Know this is all theoretical and pipe dream material but wouldn't such a program require 5 travel games per program to make any competition meaningful?

It seems with the exception of IMG most HS with OOS games have at most 2 such games, with 1 game perhaps from a marquee cross country matchup and a 2nd more close to home OOS game.

I have no doubt that if such a league were to exist it would need sponsorship.Since it would be billed as the national championship league you can bet ESPN would be interested/involved

Reactions: aztecpadre
I believe Grayson, Ga will travel outside of the south if their money was right. They've traveled to Alabama, Florida and Louisiana. Hoping Grayson's coach Mickey Conn gets the heart to travel west to play a BG, SJB, MD, DLS or Folsom before he retires. Grayson has beaten the likes of Hoover, AL (twice), Ramsay, AL, Central, FL, and Deerfield Beach, FL. The same goes for Colquitt County in regards to traveling under ex Hoover, AL coach Rush Propst. C.C has beaten solid out of state opponents but coach Propst has not taken his team past the Mississippi River. Would love to see a top team from the West schedule either Grayson or Colquitt County in this decade. I'm sure a lack of monetary resources is the reason the two Nationally known Georgia programs don't travel far. Last year Vista Murrieta of the Southern Section lost to Georgia power Colquitt County 26-7 in Georgia. It would be great for both the South and West if a West private like DLS, Bishop Gorman, SJB or MD traveled to Georgia to play one of these two national powers. It would be best to schedule the game in Mid October to cut down on the humidity and heat. The weather in Georgia the past few days has been beautiful. Sunny sky's and not humid.

You would have an impossible time trying to get coach Conn to bring Grayson out of GA. He is no longer the coach there. Lol. I'm pretty sure they wish they still had him though.

I have no doubt that if such a league were to exist it would need sponsorship.Since it would be billed as the national championship league you can bet ESPN would be interested/involved
As would Under Armour (SJC) and the coach from SFA. Deep pockets.

Reactions: ararar
I df
Good post brother. I wonder who is the lowest ranked team (ranking as of game time) to beat DLS? Might have to do some research when I get a chance.

I don't think Salt Lake East was even in the top 100 when they beat DLS in 2016.

It has to be Canyon.
Cal High in 1981.

observer22 has a good one. But if we limit the time frame from the beginning of the 151 and NorCal streak years on (1992 to present), I'd probably say Clovis West in 2004 or 2005.

The Canyon loss occurred in a SBG. Considering that, I can't imagine Canyon was ranked lower that one or both of those CW teams. Lakeland and East would probably be 2nd and 3rd in some order.

If we count all games during the Lad era, then there'd be quite a few qualifiers. They lost to Cal, Salesian, Moreau Catholic, Riordan, St. Patrick, College Park, Miramonte, Skyline, Monte Vista, St. Francis, El Cerrito and Pitt.

The St. Patrick, Miramonte, Monte Vista, and Pitt losses occurred in playoff games so throw those out.

FWIW, Salesian is the only team to have beaten DLS 3x since the Lad era began. Of course all of those wins occurred between 1979 and 1983, but they still have more wins than any other program. Interesting trivia, if nothing else.

I'm pretty sure East was ranked, but would need to look at the preseason rankings from that year.

I don't know where to find the initial rankings from 2016, but I know that East finished 172 in the final 2015 rankings, even though they were state champions.

You would have an impossible time trying to get coach Conn to bring Grayson out of GA. He is no longer the coach there. Lol. I'm pretty sure they wish they still had him though.
You right. Forgot he retired a few years back. Vaguely remember there was a news article on Grayson looking for a new head coach. Wasn't sure if he had left the program. He's now a defensive coach on Dabo Swinney's Clemson program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT