ADVERTISEMENT

Trinity League North?

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
It's hardly a secret that the CIF state football bowl arrangement is skewed. Population-rich Southern California has more (a lot more) premier prep grid powerhouses than does its northern counterpart. This is especially true when it comes to the top tier of teams. Most of them hail from SoCal. To be frank, when the Trinity League's Mater Dei plays league member St. John Bosco in a SoCal Open Division finale, that's really the CIF Open bowl championship game. So the question becomes: Will a NorCal team or two (or even an entire league) rise to the challenge of matching the talent-rich rosters of those in SoCal, and specifically the Trinity League? And, in doing so, can those schools remain within the rules of their section honchos? The WCAL comes to mind. Three WCAL programs seem to be aiming in that direction: St. Francis, Serra and Riordan. The Lancers typically have varsity football rosters featuring teens from more than two dozen different South Bay (and beyond) communities. Serra isn't far behind. But the Padres don't make public where their players reside or their middle schools. Transfers, of course, are a separate matter. Riordan, even with limited facilities and very little history of success on the gridiron, is obviously on the march. They are enrolling talented transfers and valued frosh at a furious pace. Those three programs, their administrations willing, appear to be on the road to challenging the SoCal powers. Will DLS follow suit? They certainly could. Again, that's an administrative call. Admission standards are always a dicey issue for the private/parochials. So is tuition assistance. The Trinity League has become the absolute Big Dog in the CIF kennel. Will the WCAL follow? We'll see.

Last edited:
It's hardly a secret that the CIF state football bowl arrangement is skewed. Population-rich Southern California has more (a lot more) premier prep grid powerhouses than does its northern counterpart. This is especially true when it comes to the top tier of teams. Most of them hail from SoCal. To be frank, when the Trinity League's Mater Dei plays league member St. John Bosco in a SoCal Open Division finale, that's really the CIF Open bowl championship game. So the question becomes: Will a NorCal team or two (or even an entire league) rise to the challenge of matching the talent-rich rosters of those in SoCal, and specifically the Trinity League? And, in doing so, can those schools remain within the rules of their section honchos? The WCAL comes to mind. Three WCAL programs seem to be aiming in that direction: St. Francis, Serra and Riordan. The Lancers typically have varsity football rosters featuring teens from more than two dozen different South Bay (and beyond) communities. Serra isn't far behind. But the Padres don't make public where their players reside or their middle schools. Transfers, of course, are a separate matter. Riordan, even with limited facilities and very little history of success on the gridiron, is obviously on the march. They are enrolling talented transfers and valued frosh at a furious pace. Those three programs, their administrations willing, appear to be on the road to challenging the SoCal powers. Will DLS follow suit? They certainly could. Again, that's an administrative call. Admission standards are always a dicey issue for the private/parochials. So is tuition assistance. The Trinity League has become the absolute Big Dog in the CIF kennel. Will the WCAL follow? We'll see.

Riordan doesn't have a freshman team.

So they may have a few young guys but not enough for a freshman team. So a few valued frosh? I hear Serra is loaded with almost 100 freshman players yet again.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Well, DLS filled that void for a long time, until MD and SJB ratcheted things up a notch or three. DLS was resented in NorCal for their success, but I don't see anyone up North challenging let alone competing with MD and SJB. Though I think if DLS were to really start recruiting hard they could at least challenge. Wins still wouldn't come though. But it could be competitive

I think the torch in the north has been passed to Serra.
They need to bring in an o coordinator because with their talent these scores should be more lopsided. Defensively they are strong. But to beat a down Folsom team 21-14? The top 3 in Trinity Beat folsom this year by 30+ Serra is getting kids from all over the Bay Area. The Trinity teams are getting kids from all over the state and the country. Big difference. The gap is massive and I don’t see that changing.

Reactions: THEOC89
Riordan doesn't have a freshman team.

So they may have a few young guys but not enough for a freshman team. So a few valued frosh? I hear Serra is loaded with almost 100 freshman players yet again.
@FBIQ you are correct Riordan does not have a freshman team this year. The 24 freshman are playing up on JVs and have starters at QB, RB, WRs, LBs, DBs and Lineman. This doesn't include the 5 freshman already starting and/or playing significant minutes on Varsity. The JVs are 3-0 giving up their first score of the season last week in beating Clayton Valley Charter 44-6.

It will be hard to duplicate the Trinity League in NorCal. Consider the widest range of the member schools is approximately 30 miles. They are all Catholic schools except for Orange Lutheran. The density population of the northern part of Trinity (Anaheim & Santa Ana) is much higher than any NorCal area except maybe SF proper. And generally the school systems are more inferior to its NorCal counterpart except for again SF.

The WCAL league is the closest NorCal counterpart to Trinity. But the WCAL region covers twice the area as Trinity with about the same population and generally this area has better public school systems..

The touting of DLS or Serra as the NorCal king sort of sidesteps this thread topic of a league that can be compared to Trinity in NorCal.

IMO, only Riordan and SI have the components to duplicate MD and SJB. But it seems the CCS section and SF educational district are not amenable to this idea, let alone the SI and AR administrations.

Last edited:
Not sure about CCS. NCS is very strict with transfers, unless your entire family unit packs up and moves your sitting out 4-5 games minimum. I know kids and families are much more willing to miss games now though. I guess if you know your team will go 14-15 games it’s not as bad.

I am drawn to comment on this , but? I don't want to be called woke. So I won't point out how red lining had effected the social economic lives in the compared areas. You don't get the athletes in San Mateo as you get in Bellflower?

Not sure about CCS. NCS is very strict with transfers, unless your entire family unit packs up and moves your sitting out 4-5 games minimum. I know kids and families are much more willing to miss games now though. I guess if you know your team will go 14-15 games it’s not as bad.
Sounds the same as CCS. Folsom has gotten a lot of negative comments on this board about transfers. But recently, a close friend had a child transfer to Folsom and they actually had a school official come out to check their home to ensure they actually had moved to an allowed area. Otherwise, the kid would have not been allowed to play any sport all year.

Sounds the same as CCS. Folsom has gotten a lot of negative comments on this board about transfers. But recently, a close friend had a child transfer to Folsom and they actually had a school official come out to check their home to ensure they actually had moved to an allowed area. Otherwise, the kid would have not been allowed to play any sport all year.
Could that be a reaction to some worries about past actions or accusations?

• Haha
Reactions: aztecpadre
Could that be a reaction to some worries about past actions or accusations?
I'd guess it has to do with the population boom in that area. Just a guess, but can you imagine the angry emails from a family who moved to the area because of the good school system and then they struggle to get into their home school?

Reactions: FBAddict
The one thing is that is sometimes overlooked is that Negro has been able to capitalize on his own backyard. Do they get out of area transfers? Hell yes. But when Kiki was at SJB they didn’t get the best talent in their own area. LB Poly was still the destination school.

Couple things changed. Long beach school district stopped open district transfer policy. LB Poly had a decline and loss of successful coaches (Jasso and Lara). Negro was smart enough to get all that local talent in the doors. And then it led to success and snowballed and their name basically recruits themselves now.

MD was successful in the 90’s (2 football mythical titles). Slipped down and then I think went on a focus to get on top. Funny thing is since this football run and rise of the last decade MD hoops program seems to have fallen back a few steps? I mean the first few decades of the CIF basketball title games you could first pencil in Crenshaw then MD as a high probability of being in it. Not sure if MD transitioned from a hoops school to a football school, but I think football is their number one emphasis now.

I wouldn't compare the WCAL and Trinity League; they're fundamentally different. In terms of competition, they're like apples and oranges. Nothing in Northern California resembles the Trinity League.

The WCAL is more on par with the SFL, which I believe has been a stronger league overall. Northern California "parochial" schools haven't kept pace with the Trinity League's developments, as evidenced by Serra's/DLS's lackluster performances in the Open Game.

We're lagging behind in terms of innovation and progressiveness. While I commend Serra and now Riordan for striving to compete at a higher level, they're about a decade behind Southern California. They also don't have South Central LA, aka South LA, to pull from--- (There are nearly 1 million Black people in this concentrated area, and even this demographic is shrinking.)

Hypothetical Trinity League:
To establish a Northern California version of the Trinity League, we'd need a league consisting of Jesuit, St. Mary's, De La Salle, Bishop O'Dowd, Serra, and Riordan. These schools would need to be the place where the best local/regional athletes attended HS.

1) Jesuit (Greater Sacramento),
2) St. Mary's (Central Valley),
3) De La Salle (Contra Costa)
4) Bishop O'Dowd (East Bay)

Forming an alliance among these schools would be crucial and they would have to uphold a shared commitment to football excellence. To achieve this, they must:

• Maintain ambitious and innovative coaching staff.
  • Embrace a Spread/Air-Raid style of football to stay competitive.
  • Have administrations that prioritize and invest in football.
  • Offer "free admittance" to a substantial number of African American and Polynesian Student-Athletes.
  • Embrace and celebrate the cultural diversity that these students and their families bring.

I don't think NorCal would ever make such a commitment lol

I am drawn to comment on this , but? I don't want to be called woke. So I won't point out how red lining had effected the social economic lives in the compared areas. You don't get the athletes in San Mateo as you get in Bellflower?
what is woke?
also, bellflower has long beach, compton, inglewood, lakewood, carson. lynwood, watts, and gardena within 20 miles. That is just going west!

I wouldn't compare the WCAL and Trinity League; they're fundamentally different. In terms of competition, they're like apples and oranges. Nothing in Northern California resembles the Trinity League.

The WCAL is more on par with the SFL, which I believe has been a stronger league overall. Northern California "parochial" schools haven't kept pace with the Trinity League's developments, as evidenced by Serra's/DLS's lackluster performances in the Open Game.

We're lagging behind in terms of innovation and progressiveness. While I commend Serra and now Riordan for striving to compete at a higher level, they're about a decade behind Southern California. They also don't have South Central LA, aka South LA, to pull from--- (There are nearly 1 million Black people in this concentrated area, and even this demographic is shrinking.)

Hypothetical Trinity League: To establish a Northern California version of the Trinity League, we'd need a league consisting of Jesuit, St. Mary's, De La Salle, Bishop O'Dowd, Serra, and Riordan. These schools would need to be the place where the best local/regional athletes attended HS.

Forming an alliance among these schools would be crucial and they would have to uphold a shared commitment to football excellence. To achieve this, they must:

• Offer "free admittance" to a substantial number of African American and Polynesian Student-Athletes.
  • Embrace and celebrate the cultural diversity that these students and their families bring.

it will forever be south central... we didnt ask for that name change.

Im not sure how familiar you are with the San Francisco WCAL schools but I believe you are mistaking Riordan with Sacred Heart Cathedral. Riordan has a new football and baseball field, a weight room, a track and an upgraded gym for basketball. Sacred Heart has no baseball or football field and no track. They do have a newer gym with an older auxiliary gym unless they repurposed it.

Last edited:
Lets not forget in SoCal, you can have your highly talented kid that goes to public school in designated area transfer into a private school for football season and then transfer back to original public school same academic year.

Hypothetical Trinity League: To establish a Northern California version of the Trinity League, we'd need a league consisting of Jesuit, St. Mary's, De La Salle, Bishop O'Dowd, Serra, and Riordan. These schools would need to be the place where the best local/regional athletes attended HS.

Rare for a Catholic/private school but Riordan has been historically majority non white for at least 40 probably almost 50 years. (1970s). Big Hispanic groups from the Mission and Excelsior and Black students from HP/Lakeview/Ingleside/VV from the 60s and later Filipino then Polynesian students filtered in. A big sell for Riordan has always been its diversity. It’s exceptionally tough when there are many private schools competing for kids in the city and peninsula as well as good academic publics. Add in cost of living and declining school age population and I think a school like Serra has really maxed out what they can do.

SoCal is much more dense, no bridges/water between cities, it’s not comparable. Also the public schools in SoCal have downright terrible football teams now, relative to school enrollment, in comparison to the past not a coincidence to the Trinity rise. 10 years ago there were still public powers down there, and many more competitive teams.

Reactions: remc and FBAddict
Rare for a Catholic/private school but Riordan has been historically majority non white for at least 40 probably almost 50 years. (1970s). Big Hispanic groups from the Mission and Excelsior and Black students from HP/Lakeview/Ingleside/VV from the 60s and later Filipino then Polynesian students filtered in. A big sell for Riordan has always been its diversity. It’s exceptionally tough when there are many private schools competing for kids in the city and peninsula as well as good academic publics. Add in cost of living and declining school age population and I think a school like Serra has really maxed out what they can do.

SoCal is much more dense, no bridges/water between cities, it’s not comparable. Also the public schools in SoCal have downright terrible football teams now, relative to school enrollment, in comparison to the past not a coincidence to the Trinity rise. 10 years ago there were still public powers down there, and many more competitive teams.
Oh I wouldn't expect Riordan to be a first-place finisher in this hypothetical Trinity league! lol But you are correct, some of the Bay Area parochial schools do a decent job with diversity.

The Bay Area and California are waning football hotbeds. California HS football will be irrelevant if gentrification sponsored by the political powers that be continues to run Black citizens out of town.

Im not sure how familiar you are with the San Francisco WCAL schools but I believe you are mistaking Riordan with Sacred Heart Cathedral. Riordan has a new football and baseball field, a weight room, a track and an upgraded gym for basketball. Sacred Heart has no baseball or football field and no track. They do have a newer gym with an older auxiliary gym unless they repurposed it.
I’m not sure how familiar you are with this board? Colhenrylives is one of most WCAL familiar posters on here, even the SF schools.

Lets not forget in SoCal, you can have your highly talented kid that goes to public school in designated area transfer into a private school for football season and then transfer back to original public school same academic year.
Happened how many times exactly? And do you even know why?

This is about as spot on as it gets. Everything else is simply excuse making. When I moved to NorCal in late 80’s I was shocked at the state of HS football here. It was way behind what was going on down south in terms of coaching, off season prep, in season training and coaching it was simply behind. DLS being excluded here obviously but they feasted on the overall poor state of HS football up north. NorCal however has made huge strides in the last 10-15 years and is certainly more competitive as a whole. I hope it continues to trend in an upward trajectory. A few things make it difficult to close the gap, 1. Leagues acting like god with kids and families decisions on schools. 2. Economics and attracting quality coaches and keeping them, Bay Area isn’t wallet friendly.

Why not a Trinity League North with Serra, St. Francis, St. Mary’s, Folsom, Oak Ridge and Rocklin?

Folsom, OR and Rocklin are public schools. Imagine the commute
As a virtual league, this is a good list. But as a physical league, it would be almost impossible due to travel and cost.

Part of the benefit of the Trinity league is the interplay of its teams that makes all member teams better.

Reactions: THEOC89
@FBIQ you are correct Riordan does not have a freshman team this year. The 24 freshman are playing up on JVs and have starters at QB, RB, WRs, LBs, DBs and Lineman. This doesn't include the 5 freshman already starting and/or playing significant minutes on Varsity. The JVs are 3-0 giving up their first score of the season last week in beating Clayton Valley Charter 44-6.

You see Serra's freshman team record? Look at who they've played and they've done it with ONLY freshman.

Riordan played a really soft pre season schedule.

Why not a Trinity League North with Serra, St. Francis, St. Mary’s, Folsom, Oak Ridge and Rocklin?
Looks great on paper but travel would be an issue. These games would all need to be played on Saturday when league starts it could be a 2-3 hour travel time Fridays. These are still HS kids and education should be the priority. (Even though this is hard when unions are involved) The season is already taxing pulling them from classes mid day 3-4-5 times a week isn’t a great idea.

As a virtual league, this is a good list. But as a physical league, it would be almost impossible due to travel and cost.

Part of the benefit of the Trinity league is the interplay of its teams that makes all member teams better.
Yes, The TL is really an Orange County League with SJB being the only team not in the OC…. But Bellflower is not that far from Servite, MD and OLU….

Eventhough SM and JSerra are in the South OC, it’s still not nearly as far as it would be for Serra or DLS to travel to Sac….

The only way this works in Nor Cal is if Schools provide housing and Scholarships, other then that it’s not geographically possible in Nor Cal….

Reactions: bella123
Also the public schools in SoCal have downright terrible football teams now, relative to school enrollment, in comparison to the past not a coincidence to the Trinity rise. 10 years ago there were still public powers down there, and many more competitive teams.

Are you sure about that?
This is not entirely true. What has happened is that there are severe magnet schools in various regions.

Ontario used to have some good teams, but now it's all about neighboring Rancho Cucamonga.

Corona schools are horrible except for Centennial.

Mission Viejo schools are bad except for Mission Viejo High.

Huntington Beach schools aren't good except for Edison.

Long Beach schools have forever been challenged except for Poly.

If someone can't make it on a Trinity League, they'll often end up at Edison or Mission Viejo. Aside from these few magnet public schools, most of the remaining aren't especially good. A few teams will pop their heads up every once in a while, but rarely do they stick.

In NorCal, we are seeing similar things, but in smaller levels. Folsom is really strong, but its neighbors aren't. The only good public school in Salinas is Salinas High. San Jose has seen their public schools stripped, pretty much all talent now heading to the WCAL programs. But, none of these talent pools come close to matching the numbers and density of SoCal.

Last I checked there were something like 36 public schools in top 50 in the state I think 26 or so from SoCal. These number don’t really speak to public schools not being strong or greatly represented. It also doesn’t mean they are on the level with some of the Trinity schools or the top 2 more specifically but not many are nationally. Public programs get dismissed or excused it seems. It’s high school football there is turnover every 4 years, or course there will be peaks and valleys for programs. This being what it is I personally have thought to maintain success with these realities of HS football A program like DLS, CVC, etc, really set themselves up for continued success. The reason being it’s much easier to build and maintain a solid running attack than a complex passing or spread attack, with the turnover in personnel that naturally happens in HS. I get the fans don’t like it, people want to see the rock chucked everywhere. But to be good or even great and sustain it year after year with great or average talent the veer, wing t, or hybrid off these offenses is great at this level.

Last I checked there were something like 36 public schools in top 50 in the state I think 26 or so from SoCal. These number don’t really speak to public schools not being strong or greatly represented. It also doesn’t mean they are on the level with some of the Trinity schools or the top 2 more specifically but not many are nationally. Public programs get dismissed or excused it seems. It’s high school football there is turnover every 4 years, or course there will be peaks and valleys for programs. This being what it is I personally have thought to maintain success with these realities of HS football A program like DLS, CVC, etc, really set themselves up for continued success. The reason being it’s much easier to build and maintain a solid running attack than a complex passing or spread attack, with the turnover in personnel that naturally happens in HS. I get the fans don’t like it, people want to see the rock chucked everywhere. But to be good or even great and sustain it year after year with great or average talent the veer, wing t, or hybrid off these offenses is great at this level.
Oakdale is an example of a system team. They learn the wing-t from youth football. By the time they hit high school they know the system. The wing - t doesn't require great athletes . QB doesn't have to have great arm. Just good ball handling.

Was your friends child a football player?

Reactions: FBAddict
Tend to agree with this

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT