ADVERTISEMENT

NCS Open candidates

noknight

Sports Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
Call me crazy, but this year doesn't seem to be a good one for open candidates, and maybe not in NorCal at all. I'm guessing the 3 most likely candidates will be Salesian, BOD and the D-1 winner? That just doesn't seem as strong as in years past...

Don't sleep on Woodcreek or Sheldon... Or are you referring only to teams in the NCS?

Call me crazy, but this year doesn't seem to be a good one for open candidates, and maybe not in NorCal at all. I'm guessing the 3 most likely candidates will be Salesian, BOD and the D-1 winner? That just doesn't seem as strong as in years past...

This is the 5th year of the Open Division.

Last year NCS had 3 Open teams in DLS, Salesian & Moreau. SJS had Sac, Folsom, Modesto Christian & Sheldon, while CCS had just St. Francis.
I could see Moreau making it again, depending on how the NCS divisional play goes and how many come from SJS & CCS. And although Dublin may not qualify, they might opt up if they end up winning NCS D1. St. Joe's is also 22-1 and has a win over DLS.

In 2015 NCS had 4 in BOD, Monte Vista, EC & Moreau. CCS had 2 in Serra & St. Francis while SJS had 2 in Folsom and MC.

In 2014 NorCal had only 6 teams, 3 from NCS in BOD, Newark & EC. Mitty was the only CCS team and SJS had MC & Capital Christian.

In 2013 NorCal had just 7 teams, 3 from the NCS in BOD, Newark & Salesian. SJS had Sheldon & MC, while CCS had Mitty & Serra.

This is the 5th year of the Open Division.

Last year NCS had 3 Open teams in DLS, Salesian & Moreau. SJS had Sac, Folsom, Modesto Christian & Sheldon, while CCS had just St. Francis.
I could see Moreau making it again, depending on how the NCS divisional play goes and how many come from SJS & CCS. And although Dublin may not qualify, they might opt up if they end up winning NCS D1. St. Joe's is also 22-1 and has a win over DLS.

In 2015 NCS had 4 in BOD, Monte Vista, EC & Moreau. CCS had 2 in Serra & St. Francis while SJS had 2 in Folsom and MC.

In 2014 NorCal had only 6 teams, 3 from NCS in BOD, Newark & EC. Mitty was the only CCS team and SJS had MC & Capital Christian.

In 2013 NorCal had just 7 teams, 3 from the NCS in BOD, Newark & Salesian. SJS had Sheldon & MC, while CCS had Mitty & Serra.

Gotcha... Well, don't sleep on DLS, then...

And it seems St. Joe's could be pulled into the Open if they finish off their league as expected and then win NCS d4. They would likely be the lowest seed if put in Open, tho.

And maybe St. Pat-St.Vincent could get pulled up if they avenge their loss to Salesian tomorrow night and then win NCS d4 (over St. Joe's and others). Longshot, but these guys are a really strong team.

This year has got to be the weakest NCS group in recent memory, Perrenial powerhouses are down, EC, MV and NM really stand out

Also, re: S. Pat's... They actually have a chance to get revenge for three of their four losses... They have the one loss to Salesian whom they face tomorrow night, and they play St. Joe's for the 3rd time this year in a nonleague contest this Saturday... If they do manage to get the St. Joe's monkey off their back, they could very well end up playing them yet again in the NCS d4 playoffs.

Being a St. Joe's fan, I hope this doesn't happen... but it ain't impossible...

Here are the top ranked NCS teams regardless of division, per MaxPreps:

#
School Record Rating Strength

1 Salesian College Preparatory (Richmond) 21-3 29.7 16.9
2 St. Joseph Notre Dame (Alameda) 22-1 26.0 9.9
3 Heritage (Brentwood) 19-2 26.0 12.4
4 Dublin 19-3 24.6 12.1
5 St. Patrick-St. Vincent (Vallejo) 19-4 24.6 13.1
6 De La Salle (Concord) 18-4 23.4 12.3
7 Bishop O'Dowd (Oakland) 12-8 22.7 21.0
8 Freedom (Oakley) 15-5 22.2 14.2
9 James Logan (Union City) 17-4 20.8 9.7
10 Las Lomas (Walnut Creek) 16-5 20.7 11.7

They should keep it at 4 teams woodcreek, sheldon,salesian,and st Joe's.
There is definitely not 8 worthy teams of going to the open this year.

They should keep it at 4 teams woodcreek, sheldon,salesian,and st Joe's.
There is definitely not 8 worthy teams of going to the open this year.

No CCS representative? Its my understanding that they want to take 8, and I would be very surprised if one of them didn't come from the CCS.

It is looking like a 6 horse race. Add #1 CCS team and the NCS D1 Champ and we have the Open field. Any other team entered may have a very short State Title run.

I could easily see more than 1 CCS team in, and I really do hope they take a look at St. Joe's (who has yet to get called up even though they've played in 5 of the last 6 state title games for their division), but so far they've tended to favor the upper division teams. I think Salesian's the only team below Division III in NCS who's ever gone to the open.

I could easily see more than 1 CCS team in, and I really do hope they take a look at St. Joe's (who has yet to get called up even though they've played in 5 of the last 6 state title games for their division), but so far they've tended to favor the upper division teams. I think Salesian's the only team below Division III in NCS who's ever gone to the open.

I think it's a foregone conclusion that St Joe's is getting called up to the participate in the Open this year after beating up on the Little Sisters of the Poor (aka Division V) for so many years. I like the idea of six teams maximum with Bellarmine and DeLa Salle rounding out the mix. Give Sheldon and Woodcreek first round byes.

St. Joe's victory over DLS this year may be enough for the committee to put them in the Open, in addition to beating up the little sisters of the poor and their gaudy 22-1 record.

Woodcreek and Sheldon look awfully good as the season comes down the home stretch.

Other than Salesian, its a toss-up out of the NCS. Woodcreek & Sheldon are lock's for the OPEN from SJS. They may add Capital Christian as a 3rd since Modesto Christian is down this year.

Check St. Joe's schedule they won a very competitive Christmas/ New Years tournament down south. It would be a shame for anyone else to go into the open division for State. The reason you enter is because you believe you can beat Woodcreek and Sheldon, I don't think you go for the fun of it eh? Also additional CCS would probably have a hard time winning one round. The same goes for other SJS and NCS.

The reason for the Open is to get the best 8 teams together to fight it out to see who comes out the top dog, in both NorCal and SoCal, and then the winners face off to crown a real state champion. If it turns out to be Woodcreek and Sheldon in the NorCal finals, so be it. I want to see the best play the best.

I agree observer 22 but do we have 8 teams that are worthy of the open
or is sacrificing 3 or 4 teams just to make 8 teams is that the best
playing the best?I agree with sf Mikey at best we have 6 teams that are worthy
and give woodcreek and sheldon a first round Bye and leave the rest of the schools
in their respective divisions for norcal.

I agree, Norcal would be much better served going only 4 open. Norcal will have a tough time winning any state titles with only 4 let alone 6 or 8 with the losing teams being eliminated

St. Joes is definitely going. Defending state champion. Long history of winning in lower divisions. 2 wins over St. Pats and a win over DLS.

Don't sleep on Woodcreek or Sheldon... Or are you referring only to teams in the NCS?
You want to talk about a team not to sleep on man? How about the Rancho Cordova Lancers man. This team has two of the best big men in California Man! What even is a Lancer man? IDK but sounds pretty bad a** man! The two big men average 23 11 2 and 18 15 3 respectively. They get called the twin towers around Rancho! I'll tell you what, in person they fit the nickname man!

It will be a big deal who gets the 5 seed in ncs with the
winner of ncs d1 likely moving on to the open.

Reactions: observer22
St Pats beating Salesian only furthers the argument that NCS is really weak compared to recent years

If anything, it means there is another strong team in the NCS that cannot be taken lightly. It may help Salesian in the long run to have such good competition in league play.

Also here is a good reason why there are top teams in leagues, Sections and State; [1] those teams are undefeated at there home gyms [2] those are the teams that have a high winning percentage on the road. If you notice the best teams don't always win on the road against a very good team [i.e. Dublin, Heritage, Salesian]. Good teams hold down their home court.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT