ADVERTISEMENT

NBL Shaughnessy/league playoffs Friday

northbaybbguru

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2013
San Francisco Bay Area
Well both Montgomery and Cardinal Newman took care of business tonight to set up the North Bay League Championship game Friday night at 7:45 pm at Rancho Cotate High School.

It's looking like the winner of this game not only gets the NBL champion designation but with the likely move of Branson to the NCS Open the winner will get the 1 seed in the NCS D2 section playoffs. The loser could get anything from 2-4 seed and a potential road game (vs a league champ) in rd 1.

I expect a packed house of Cardinal Newman haters rooting against both of the CN squads. (The girls play Maria Carrillo at 6pm in the girls championship game)

Should be alot of fun!!!

I love this sh*t! 😀

Newman has been on a tear since Kirpinski became eligible in Jan. I'm pretty sure they haven't lost a game with him in lineup. He provides a great scoring option with size. Monty is always hard to beat again. I'm sure this will be another great one that goes down to the wire.

NCS D2 has some tough teams that don't have the elite records to show but who I've seen play.
Moreau Catholic, St. Pats, and Benecia are all very good teams. Redwood I can't figure out. Did they lose somebody?

Reactions: UncleYacht
I went up to Heahl for one of these a few seasons ago. Pretty gym, but the game seems to be about a mile from the seats and the grandstand angle's wayyy too flat. In order to get high enough for good viewing, you need to be some 75 feet or so away from the court. Not quite as bad as the Cow Palace, but in the neighborhood...

Reactions: bella123
These Shaughnessy finals are fun. The whole county shows up to watch. It's one of the few times u can actually showcase your program in front of the entire county.

In the past I've seen students/athletes from teams not playing show up in the uniform/school gear of the team playing CN..the hatred is real! Haha

These Shaughnessy finals are fun. The whole county shows up to watch. It's one of the few times u can actually showcase your program in front of the entire county.

In the past I've seen students from teams not playing show up in the uniform/school gear of the team playing CN..the hatred is real! Haha

Yup. Rancho has a nice new arena. State of the art which seems odd coming out of the RP.

• Haha
Reactions: bella123
I know there was a lot of damage due to fires up there in the last few years... Is this new arena a replacement for a burned-down one, or has this plan been in the works for awhile?

I know there was a lot of damage due to fires up there in the last few years... Is this new arena a replacement for a burned-down one, or has this plan been in the works for awhile?
No, this was in the works and completed before the fires, new gym, and PAC Center. Can’t remember if the gym or the court is named after Henry Sarlatte,, long time athletic Director at Rancho. His son is the current AD.

Reactions: larry legend33
Who you got tnite?

I will take Newman girls 62 and Maria Carillo 40. Too much fire power but MC plays inspired ball for their late coach Jeff Paul who died recently of cancer. ( a great man btw and a tremendous athlete at Newman)

Boys game is going to be a war. Vikings look to avenge the last meeting loss. I think Monty put a great game together and wins 50-49 in OT and secures #1 seed in NCS D2.

I know the CN girls are terrific, but haven’t seen them play. How many games have they played with that super transfer?

• Haha
I’ve only seen a little bit of the CN girls, but they look LEGIT, one of the best in NorCal.

I have an ulterior motive in picking the Monty boys…. Campo beat them at their tourney, so a Monty win would give a lil boost to Campo’s SoS. A tiny boost, but a boost.

• Love
btw, I had no idea what traffic would do to the length of my trip up here from Concord, so I got up here wayyyyyyyy early.

Found a Pizza Guys totally by chance…. Turns out this store opened YESTERDAY.

And, for a large-chain pizza place, this place ain’t bad!

The guy at the register is a fairly recent Serra grad, played football. So we took a bit of time to gab…. fun time.

btw, I had no idea what traffic would do to the length of my trip up here from Concord, so I got up here wayyyyyyyy early.

Found a Pizza Guys totally by chance…. Turns out this store opened YESTERDAY.

And, for a large-chain pizza place, this place ain’t bad!

The guy at the register is a fairly recent Serra grad, played football. So we took a bit of time to gab…. fun time.
It's a good sign k-mann, no traffic, finding one of your basic food groups restaurant AND it just opened yesterday. You better hit the first liquor store you pass and buy a fistful of Scratchers. You're on a B-ball hotflash. Milk that lucky Cow.

Apparently, 5G is in the distant future up here, but they gave me the WiFi password, and it’s like buttah!

It’ll be interesting to see what the WiFi acts like when there are 2000 phones on it later…

Just about to toss it up for the girls…. CN vs Maria Carillo. I know nobody, but the PA is clear, maybe I can catch some names…. All I know is super-transfer “Tissa” Quieroz is #12 on CN. I’ve seen maybe 3 minutes of her play, quite impressive.

My short-term memory has gone kaput…. don’t expect Grade-A “journalism” here.

9-4 CN early on…. Quieroz is quite impressive.. Powerhouse on the boards, can make the 3, sees the floor really well leading fast breaks.

Boys action in 18 minutes…. Monty is 24-3, CN 25-2…. They split a pair of close battles during the season…. Let’s put it this way, it will NOT be a running-clock game like the girls game…

just gonna go with numbers rather than try to get names during action…. like M5 or CN22, etc.

Some really sticky D thus far…. soon as I say that, Monty scores…. 2-0.

CN3 nails a 3…. 3-2 CN.

CN10 nails a 3…. 6-2 CN.

CN33 with. a putback…. 8-2.

2:49 left…. Monty having trouble getting going.

Monty #3 drive, miss, rebound putback.. 8-4. 1:57 left 3rd.

CN #2 fouled, makes 1 of 2…

CN #33 with a putback…. 11-4.

Charging on Monty #22…. 5.4 seconds to do something…. so #3 takes a shot from the logo…. BOOOM!! 14-4 CN at the quarter.

Monty 24 fouled going up…. FT’s makes one FT. 14-5.

Monty #42 rebound and score…. 14-7.

He grabs another on D, gets it underneath, is fouled…. FT’s split. 14-8.

CN #3 scores in the paint…. M 12 answers…. 16-10. 4 minutes…

SWEEEEET crossover move by Monty #3 for a layup…. 16-12.

CN #33 fouled on the way up…. Makes one. 17-12.

Nice pass to M 42 down low…. 17-14.

CN 25 hits a corner 3…. a freshman, pointed out by the rooters…

Monty answers…. 20-16.

MOnty #42 putback makes it 20-18, but CN answers…. 22-18.

Monty gets it back, 21 seconds…

#3 calls his own number, and rings one up! 22-20 at the half, CN in front.

Monty turnover to start the 3rd..

Monty gts it back, #3 nails a 3…. 23-22 Monty.

CN #2 drives and scores…. but Monty #24 nails a 3! 26-24 Monty.

CN #2 turnaround J…. 26 all.

CN rebound…. #2 nails a 3! 29-26.

Monty #24 drives, fouled on the way up…. All ball, but bodied him.

FT’s good…. 29-28 CN.

3:36 left 3rd.

Monty’s big #42 with a couple post moves, scores, fouled! 3 fouls on CN #2. FT’s good…. 31-29 Monty.

CN #2 fouled shooting…. First FT off the front rim…. 2nd one good. 31-30 Monty, 2:40 left 3rd.

Turnaround J by M #22…. 33-30.

Monty rebound…

Monty #12 corner 3….. BAM!
36-30.

CN #1 nails a 3…. 36-33, 1:10 left 3rd.

Monty #24 scores in the paint…. 38-33.

CN #3 with a runner…. 38-35.

Monty #3 nails one at the buzzer. 40-35 Monty after 3 quarters.

Quite a tense battle here…

Monty #24 nails a 3, pass from #42….

CN scores inside.. 43-37.

Monty #3 is on fire…. 45-37.

Time out CN to avoid a turnover, 6:11 left in the game.

CN #3 driving score…. 45-39.

Monty #24 nails a 3, and GETS nailed…. FT is no good…

Monty rebounds a miss…

48-39.

Monty #42 fouled, CN #33’s 4th. irst FT good, 2nd airball. 49-39 Monty. 5:07 left.

Monty steal…. CN getting pretty desperate now.

#24 offensive rebound…. #3 nails one from Santa Rosa! 52-39, 3:40 left…. Monty rebound…. Long 3 by #3 nope… but #42 is there to put it back in! Wait, shot clock violation. 52-39, 3:00 left.

Monty rebound…. spin clock, foul. 2 bonus shots for #12 of Monty. Clanko on the 1st…. 2nd much better. 53-39…. 2:08 left.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT