ADVERTISEMENT

NCS passes Open Division

ClayK

Hall of Famer
Jun 25, 2001
The vote was 31-10 for implementation this year. Six-team Open ...

So, who you got?!? My first take in no particular order:
Salesian
DeLa
Campo
BOD
Dublin
DV

Other teams to consider:
Moreau
Monte Vista
SPSV
Logan * (is B. Thompson back?)
SJND

This is only fair.

Is every team eligible for the open or will it be based on past success?

When will see programs blatantly scheduling cupcakes to hurt their strength of schedule and to avoid the NCS open/CIF open and to reduce their ranking in the CIF competitive equity ratings. Will we see teams tank during the NCS open to avoid the CIF open?

If you know your team is not open quality, what is the benefit of playing a "tough" or "competitive" non league schedule?

Only teams from Divisions I-III are eligible for the Open. If a lower division team wants to petition up, they can do so in October.

And tanking is risky, because maybe you stay in D-1 or D-2, but you also run the risk of getting a low seed in those divisions. In addition, only the top two NCS teams in D-1 through D-3 automatically qualify for NorCals, though there is one at-large berth that would presumably go to the best D-1 through D-III team that didn't qualify.

What happens to the four teams that don’t make the Open final?

Are they eligible to be seeded in NorCals in their original division?

NorCals does not use divisions ... they take the teams and seed them by competitive equity. All the Open teams are included on the ordered NCS nomination list to NorCals, a list that does not include divisions.

The limiting factor, though, is that only so many teams from any section may be in any NorCal bracket, so the NCS Open team listed fifth on the NCS list would not qualify for the NorCal Open unless the NorCal committee ignored the NCS list (which they have the power to do).

Basically, all the Open teams will be Open or D-1 in NorCals unless one of the two committees takes a brief break from reality.

What happens to the four teams that don’t make the Open final?

Are they eligible to be seeded in NorCals in their original division?
Good question Kiddman. Do all the Open teams automatically qualify for NorCals as they do in the CCS Open?

Will there be a consolation bracket? 1st round losers will have a long break before norcals if not. Could be good to rest and bad for no games coming off a L. Norcal semis just became biggest game of the season for teams not in the Open.

All Open teams go to NorCals, and hopefully there will be consolation games, but that's TBA.

One thing, though: Even though it passed, the general sense was that this was a first step, with tweaks to come in the future.

I think one thing will be a two-game minimum in the Open. There will also be discussion about D-IV through D-VI teams being allowed to move up to try and qualify for the Open for one year only.

In the long run, I think there will be less postseason emphasis on enrollment and more emphasis on how good a team was in a particular season.

would small public schools ever agree to a system that does not take enrollment into account?

So let’s say a University or Stuart Hall has a huge season, maybe going like 28-4 or something with a couple of quality wins. Would they be eligible for the open or is it only D1-D3?

They would have to petition up in October if they are in d 4 or d5. Eventually they will get moved to the next highest enrollment if they keep doing well in their current section.

would small public schools ever agree to a system that does not take enrollment into account?

Let's say that at the end of the season, every team that qualified for NCS was ranked 1 through 102 (or however many qualify) regardless of enrollment. That would mean that an school with 300 students that has a spectacular senior class might wind up in the third bracket down (you could still call them Open, Division I, Division II, etc.). But for the most part, the smaller schools would be at the bottom of the list and would wind up competing with each other, just as they do now.

As long as enrollment is used, then private schools can do what SJND did for years, and manipulate their enrollment figures to get the best placement for their programs. And really, why should a school with 2,000 students that has a mediocre team that goes one game above .500 be put in the Division I playoffs when there's a D-III team with a great record and much more talent that should run with the big boys. If the future is competitive equity, that's what it really means ...

How does that benefit the small school with a great senior class to compete with larger schools and decrease their odds of a section title?

The quality of play in division 4 or 5 outside of the top teams is awful. A school like Urban would have never sniffed NCS last season in a pure competitive equity format. Yet they managed to be the 12th seed in d5.
This is why i do not see smaller schools ever agreeing to a pure competitive equity format.

In its current format who are the favorites
to be the top 6 teams outside of salesian
and o'dowd? I think dela is a year away
from being really good

Salesian
DeLa
Campo
BOD
Dublin
DV

Other teams to consider:
Moreau
Monte Vista
SPSV
SJND
sleeping branson kids year in and year out, ask dublin and moreau catholic wht happens when you sleep those kids they straight ball!!

I dont believe they would be eligible
as open has been designated for div
1-3 unless they petion up for placement.

Last edited:
Salesian
DeLa
Campo
BOD
Dublin
DV

Other teams to consider:
Moreau
Monte Vista
SPSV
SJND
my list
campo great coach coach of year
de la salle great coach
branson great coach california coach of year
sjnd great coach "legend"
james logan logan great coach
salesian great coach

Branson will petition up as soon as they can guaranteed them boys really think they nice. They think they are the prolific prep of real highschools. they wanna play the best and want all the smoke.

Going forward with the ncs open
division I could see this possibly hurting
quality pre season tournaments
for instance gridley has possibly
3 NCS Open caliber teams at there
tournament this year in campo,
Dublin and salesian why would you
Risk such an important game that
Will Have home seeding impact on a
Potential NCS home game in December
When some teams may not even be
At full strength depending on football
Guys or injuries those games up there
definitely take on a new meaning with
the implementation of a 6 team NCS
Open division format.

You can pretty much lock in 4 or 5 of the 6 NCS open teams every year.

Privates
DLS
BOD
Salesian

*Bubble- St. Pats, SJND, Moreau

Publics
Dublin
Campo

*Bubble- The Bigger enrollment D1 teams- Logan, Dougherty Valley, Monte Vista,

This will pretty much be every year! You might as well just put all the privates in a 6 team bracket at end of season. Similar to the CCS open.

Reactions: SF_Mikey
Going forward with the ncs open
division I could see this possibly hurting
quality pre season tournaments
for instance gridley has possibly
3 NCS Open caliber teams at there
tournament this year in campo,
Dublin and salesian why would you
Risk such an important game that
Will Have home seeding impact on a
Potential NCS home game in December
When some teams may not even be