ADVERTISEMENT

NCS Top 5 teams

bones40

Sports Fanatic
Apr 3, 2014
Since we have talked about the top sac and wcal teams who does everyone has as the top 5 NCS teams. I will go
with salesian, campo, who I believe are both in ncs d 2, and for my top 3 D1 teams I will go with o'dowd, dela and dublin.with moreau and o'dowd moving up to d1 means some quality programs are not going to norcals this year.

Last edited:
Dela . loaded
Doughtery added Beasley Brothers
Dublin -loaded with players
Monte Vista very good
Newark . strong from summer

observations

Salesian - Always the top NCS team
De La Salle - Young but extremely talented
Moreau Catholic - Tons of Seniors and returning most of team
Campolindo - Mahaney Bros.
St Vincent St. Patricks - If Dishon Jackson can stay healthy

Reactions: bones40
Salesian-Bell and the 2 bigs
O'Dowd- a pair of Div 1 wings and the incoming freshman big
De La Salle- Loaded sophomore class
Campolindo- Bigtime backcourt
Dublin-Terrific senior class. Size and good guard play

The Ronzone Twins and Taj Phillips at Odowd. Austin, Dante Sawyer Jr. Les Savage, Shane Bell at Salesian.

Campo is going to be really tough. They return 4 starters right? Loss of Ahazie will be a big void though. The Mahaney brothers are both D1 kids and Callas will develop into a D2 type kid eventually. They just need to add another 6"5-6"6 type kid to give them a little size.
Salesian probably gets the most out of their team. Those kids play so hard. Always a pleasure to watch.
And DLS is going to be extremely challenging.

After my fabulous Campo team's landmark 2019 season with a very young group, I was thinking they were a near-lock to get to NorCal Open this year... But it seems a LOT of the top NorCal teams look like they may be even better this year, including nearly all the usual suspects in NCS.

Anyway... I'll take a swing at the NCS Top 5...

1) DLS and its top-flight sophomore class. Even having sent several quality seniors on to college, I think they are ready to make the big jump to stardom.
2) O'Dowd. I didn't realize til I just looked now just how young the team was last year, and had not heard of this incoming freshman big until now. Enlighten me?
3) Salesian. Also quite young last year, but the McClanahans have moved on... They will still be terrific, but the gap in NCS may have closed.
4) Campo. Mahaneys and the fast-improving Callas plus the Bennetts and a host of others... And an incoming frosh who looks like the real deal.
5) I'm gonna fudge here. Can't decide between Moreau, Dougherty Valley and Dublin. (I had Logan in this list before editing after seeing Brajon Thompson's transfer news)

Reactions: SF_Mikey
NCS top five - same teams as Kiddman slightly different order:

1) Salesian -- really deep squad / lots of depth in front court / they just reload every year - loss of twins will hurt though
2) Campo -- super impressed with their run last year - how much have Aidan and Callas improved from last year are keys. Great guard play with the Mahaney's. Lack of size / depth in front court is only downside
3) DLS - as KD stated their super sophs are good but lost their PG, SG and C to graduation
4) BOD - not too familiar with all their returnees so going by other people's projections
5) Dublin -- very deep senior laden squad this year - Beasley's departure allow others to step up and fill the void - Roy, et al.

Campo is so damn good and in this day and age with the 3pt shot the game has changed. If they can get better production from the 6”6 fresh last year I think they will be good enough up front. Callas is about 6”5. The younger Mahaney will need to hit boards a little better because at 6”3 hes long and athletic. As well coached a team as you will find as well.

Who lost the most? Branson?

Do we know if NCS will have an open?
The NCS has approved the addition of a six-team open division. The proposal has yet to pass the Executive Committee and Board of Managers. All Open Division participants would move on to NorCals, Divisions 1-3 teams are the only ones that would be allowed to compete in the NCS Open Division. Divisions 1-3 would have its finalists advance to NorCals with 1 at-large team nominated for advancement to complete its 25 slots for NorCals. Divisions 4-6 would have 4 guaranteed spots for NorCals as these divisions cannot have teams compete in the NCS Open Division.

There's no consolation bracket -- and the proposal was passed by the Sports Advisory Committee 23-9. It passed the SAC last year too but failed at the Board of Governors.

The proposal calls for implementation this year.

Is the proposal to play the open division at a neutral site like ccs does?

The proposal doesn't mandate a lot of details, leaving that up to staff.

I would say a neutral site is highly unlikely. Home sites are free (no rent) and the attendance is better.

That said, home sites will also make it easier to add a consolation round, which would be great for NorCal seeding, because it would bring in revenue.

The proposal doesn't mandate a lot of details, leaving that up to staff.

I would say a neutral site is highly unlikely. Home sites are free (no rent) and the attendance is better.

That said, home sites will also make it easier to add a consolation round, which would be great for NorCal seeding, because it would bring in revenue.
Agree. But this is the NCS’s opportunity to make $$$ as why the CCS uses neutral sites for the Open and semi and final games for the other divisions in most cases.

If I am one of the six teams chosen for the open (likely a league champion) and had to go on the road when in my division I would have been home hosting right up to the finals would be a bit hard to understand. Neutral site games on Wednesday Saturday would be a huge draw especially if the other divisional games are played on Tuesday friday.

Last edited:
I don't think the Open basketball division was passed. I know it didn't pass for football. WHy would it pass for basketball and not FOOTBALL Did I miss something??

I don't think the Open basketball division was passed. I know it didn't pass for football. WHy would it pass for basketball and not FOOTBALL Did I miss something??

NCS has had an Open division for football the past couple of years. But this year the (State) CIF ruled that NCS was no longer able to send 2 teams (Open and D1), so the NCS went to another format this year. The NCS did not vote against having an Open Division for football. Basketball has way more spots available for teams to advance to state, so the options are more flexible than football.

I honestly don't know how CCS makes money on neutral sites, but clearly it makes sense for them.

As for losing that home game to play in the Open, on the boys' side, it's a bigger deal than for girls so half the entrants don't care that much. And if you're in the Open, you will have to be one of the top six on the list NCS submits to NorCals, so your seed should be higher than even the D-1 champ.

Is the Open Division set for this year or is there another step in the process?

Here is my Top 10 for the NCS this season

1. Salesian
2. De La Salle
3. Campolindo
4. Dublin
5. Bishop O'Dowd
6. Moreau Catholic
7. Dougherty Valley
8. Monte Vista
9. St. Joseph
10. Branson

All-NCS Preseason Team:

Robby Beasley Dougherty Valley
Shane Bell Salesian
Monty Bowser Bishop O'Dowd
Jeremiah Dargan De La Salle
Dishon Jackson St. Pats

@Streak One couple of questions no Mahoney brothers on your preseason team?
Dargan is a nice young player in your opinion is he better then anthony roy right now?

Last edited:
No .Not better then Anthony Roy. Dargan may not even be the best player on his high school team.
Roy will have a breakout season this year.

@Streak One couple of questions no Mahoney brothers on your preseason team?
Dargan is a nice young player in your opinion is he better then anthony roy right now?

Yes good call on adding one of the Mahaney’s Probably Aidan.

Roy was on my list and then I moved him off. I think Dublin could be pretty balanced this year which “hurts” in all-area type teams.

Dargan will be the best HS player for DLS this season

The Mahoney I saw play in the state game might be the player in the section as a sophomore.
He will be the highest ranked player since Bird from Salesian. The other players are great but Mahoney can really shoot it and his court awareness is off the charts .

The Mahoney I saw play in the state game might be the player in the section as a sophomore.
He will be the highest ranked player since Bird from Salesian. The other players are great but Mahoney can really shoot it and his court awareness is off the charts .

Aidan Mahaney is the sophomore Mahaney brother. Carter ain’t too shabby either.

Aidan Mahaney is a special player, who reminds me a lot of Nico Mannion, who is headed to Arizona this year.

Here is a video of Mannion as a sophomore. I see a lot of the same traits.

No regular reader of this forum has to guess where I stand on Aidan OR Carter Mahaney!

Go COUGS!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT