Today
SMS vs Clovis
Brookside Christian vs Edison
Oak Ridge vs Orosi
Clovis West vs Valley Christian

Good luck to all

Last edited:
Good start for the NorCal teams. Was one of the games 101-9? Yikes

If Brookside and SMS both win...they would meet tomorrow?.....
At what time...can you post or link to the bracket?

Somebody else at the game said the Brookside/Edison game was very tough
battle.....so same question what was the game like?
Guess I don't have to drive to Fresno now ... I get to save some gas money

The game started at 530 end at 730 because all the fouls that was give both ways. They also had a rookie working the give the wrong score the whole refs had to stop the game to correct it. Just was a horrible game to watch Brookside had 3 players foul out and the others 4 players had 4 fouls each. 3 players had 3 fouls in the first half. And all this with 3 refs thats horrible. But cant blame it on the refs just have to make adjustments. But they did and still fouls was called.

12/4 @ 5:30p Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Final
BCHS
16 15 10 14 55
Edison 15 11 19 17 62

Did AMc foul out....this is the Edison in Fresno correct?

Yes but i dont players can blame it on the refs. Just take care of busy on court and dont let people take you out the game. Players can blame it on themselves for not handling their busy.

Same story new year with BC. They win it is because they have all the speed and speed kills. They lose and it is the refs or an excuse. Refs are refs. There are good ones and there are not so good ones but very rare that one, two let alone three refs are against a particular team.

There were tons of fouls called but it was on both teams. Edison's two best players were in foul trouble the whole game as well and one of the two fouled out. The points of emphasis this year were being enforced and it led to a long game with lots of foul trouble. But both teams battled it out to the end.

Semi finals are Edison vs. St. Mary's and Oak Ridge vs. Clovis West

If you want to call it even with 2 refs that guaduate from Edison and other had to change the calls that the others made all game. And rookie on the clock in big game where the administration had to step in. And help but still slow down the game to a pace of the game. Either team could get in a rhythm in thats why a 2 hour game. This was the worst game I seen in a life time of basketball and I seen alot. But i felt sorry for both teams to be in the situation that they where in last night.

THIS TOURNAMENT WAS SUPPOSE TO BE A HIGH QUALITY TOURNAMENT WITH ALOT TOP TEAMS. SO IF I WAS GIVING A HIGH QUALITY TOURNAMENT I WOULD NO ROOKIES ON A SCORE AND SCORE KEEPER DOING NOTHING. GOOD TEAMS BAD judgement using rookies at the score table and score book.

HATS OFF TO BOTH TEAMS PLAYING a great game when they alot of adversity to play through.

Last edited:
Its more then a mess. Horrible for the game of basketball. That only was come from Brookside and Edison but from all the fanns in the building. I was a big joke of a game. If anyone film on the game just watch it and it will speak for itself.

Semi-finals
Clovis West 65 Oak Ridge 49
St. Mary's-Stockton 75 Edison-Fresno 40

Finals
St. Mary's-Stockton 72 Clovis West 47

If Nike is real sponsoring events like this they is to stop. Once again Brookside when a game at the buzzed beat over Valley Christian. But i guess teams can call when the ball is in the air. The refs put 2.5 on the clock with rookie clock keeper again. Tell can any one even in the NBA catch the ball under their other end of the court under the basketball and make it to the other free throw line in 2.5 seconds. Wasnt a good tournament when the brackets are made all the way to the champions game.

The VC game was 52-50...

12/5 @ 4:30p Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Final
BCHS
7 13 11 19 50
Valley Christian 8 20 10 14 52

Are tou saying that CW came back the next day with the same rookie score crew?

Yes each lost with the same scorekeeper and clock Manger. Just wasnt meet to be but plus 3 to 16 fouls in the second half and u can ask all the SMS fans that was their if fact the croud went wild and booed the refs the whole croud not just Brookside fans.

Coming up BC has Mitty, SI, SHC, Miramonte, LBP....I know the LBP game is in Livermore
are any of the other 4 games in Stockton...I want to go see them play...

Full disclaimer - I was not at the tournament and can't confirm nor deny the quality of refs or score table.

It is now become clearly apparent that RESPECTBB is very close or part of the BC program. I think it really sends the wrong message when you constantly point fingers and blame others, including volunteers when the reality is your team was beaten and you are a poor loser. We witnessed this last year on occasions when you lost or had a close game.

Basketball is officiated with a lot of subjectivity and discretion by trained officials and there is human element that is prone to error. Those errors and mistakes generally even out if not in the course of a game but a season as well. Instead of getting on a public forum and making excuses (again) you should use this as a great teaching point for your kids. They need to be ready to compete and need to play not only hard but smart.

RESPECTBB if you are associated with the BC program in anyway you should be ashamed to come on this board and attack a tournament because you lost. Again, even if everything you have mentioned is accurate I would counsel you take what we call the "high road" and suck it up, buckle up your chin strap and go back to work on Monday and try to get better. You have a tough schedule ahead and not discounting any of the opponents you lost to but they are not any of the heavyweights you have boasted about on your schedule. Wait until SMS gets you in their gym. You could ref the game yourself and you are losing by 70, I can't imagine what the score will be with neutral refs!

Do us all a favor and be a leader and mentor of student athletes and use moments like these to teach young ladies about competition and sports not to point the finger and pass blame and disparage those that are trying to good things for the sport and run quality tournaments.

We should all be on this message board discussing the championship game and how the #1 team in the country defeated the tournament host. Instead we here reading the mishaps of a 2-2 team and their alleged conspiracy. What an honor for all of these teams to see two great teams like Clovis West and SM Stockton square off in the finals. Congratulations to SM Stockton their tournament championship.

jaymel911, RESPECTBB is the same knucklehead that was on the board the last couple of years under a different name. He does not make any sense (read comments above as proof), has horrible grammar and in general has nothing good to say but definitely complains a lot. I have been to Craig's tournament and it has always been run very well and it's kind of hard to not assume that the referees are from the local area. Where else would they come from?????.

RespectBB should respect basketball and be exactly what you say, a positive role model on this board. It's only 12/6 and it will be a long year of his continued complaints and irrational rants. :(

It is what it is and he will never change with the exception of a new name on the board. I do not know any of the Brookside players and I can only assume that they are a good group of girls and Pico is a very good coach and to have someone of this nature associated with that program is very disheartening.

To clarify, the scorekeeper did struggle in the game between Brookside and Edison. While we were disappointed that it stalled the game to correct the errors a few times, each error was accurately identified and corrected. We also sent an assistant coach and administrator over to make sure that things would stay accurate. The officials did not want us to switch the score keeper out during the game so we did the best we could and we did make sure that everything was accurate the rest of the way. Most of the errors took place during the second quarter and while not perfect, it was much better the second half. But there weren't any missed points or incorrectly assessed fouls. It did interrupt game flow at a few points and we apologize for that. We work very hard to put on a great event and with 3 gyms running, some times things don't go as smoothly as you hope.

It is inaccurate that the scorers table was the same in the Valley Christian game. That was actually people who regularly work games and I was unaware of any incidents with the table. I watched the entire game and there weren't issues at the table impacting the game. Brookside hit a deep three with about 3 seconds left. Brookside players stormed the court and the VC coach was calling time out. The officials met to conference and came to the table and asked for 2.5 seconds to be put back on the clock and awarded VC the time out. On the inbounds a VC player was fouled attempting a roughly 35 footer. The VC player had three FT attempts and made two and that was the game.

I was walking the officials to their dressing area and asked what the discussion was after the deep three. They said the trail official turned and was right by the VC coach who was calling the time out. The reason they even conferenced as a crew was because the other official was going to call a technical for the players that left the bench area and came onto the court before time had expired. But the trail official said he called time out and they awarded the time out rather than assessing the technical.

I apologize that the score table wasn't good in that one Friday night game. We did our best to rectify it and make sure any error was corrected. And they were. Every tournament is going to have officials' calls brought into question. And in close games they will be magnified even more. Even as the host school I had frustrations with calls. But that is part of the game at all levels.

We have worked hard to provide a great experience for the years now. We receive a lot of positive comments from fans and coaches alike. There are errors that will come up and we do our best to adequately address them when they do. There were some really good teams and some really good games in the tournament. The 7th, 5th and 3rd place games were all decided on the final possession.

Thank you to everyone who participated in this event and good luck this season.

And congratulations to St Mary's on their tournament championship. It was an honor hosting them and the other outstanding teams and coaches. Getting to play the #1 team was an honor and they are so talented and play so darn hard.

Im not said Brookside should have won either game but just let the players decided game not refs. Ever game could have gone either way but each game was a tons fouls that real slowed the games up. Just never seen it that bad. If you dont like my opinion OH WELL. SMS HAD THE SAME PROBLEM BUT JUST OVER CAME BY BLOWING TRAMS OUT SO AFTER THAT THE GAME COULD BE CONTROL JUST TRYING TO GET IT OVER SO IT WONT BE SO embarrassing.

Especially in high school basketball, close games are often decided by luck and/or officials. There are just too many variables outside the control of the coaches and players.

Whining about either one in a two-point game simply makes the whiner look bad, and reflects poorly on the program as a whole. Pico has been around the block a few times, and he knows how things work -- and I'm surprised RespectBBGame still clings to the fantasy that the better team always wins.

Again, in a close game, outside factors will almost always play a huge role. If a team wants to guarantee that the outside factors don't impact the outcome, it has to play so well that the game isn't close and the outside factors are irrelevant.

That was clearly not the case in these games, and really, the bottom line is that Brookside Christian has only itself to blame for losing. If the team had played better, it would have been up ten in the last minute and the calls wouldn't have mattered to either side.

Clay not saying brookside should have but should have had a chance. They lost them games on their own. But that not the only game im talking about seen many in my time in the central valley but not this bad. Its nothing like the WCJ refs or tthey way the venue is set up. All im saying to put the Nike name up people expect more. I have been to many Nike tournaments in my life time. I know what to expect. There where alot good teams in the tournament and games could gone either way but teams should have worried about the pace of the game to be stop on nonsense. Never seen that at a WCJ or other Nike tournaments.

RESPECTBB, Just don't forget about our 60 bet when Brookside plays St. Mary's, I got children to feed

...Before we even talk about SMS ...BC has got
Mitty, SI, SHC, Miramonte, LBP...RespectBB do you know if any of those games are at BC....
I want to go to the kids play.....hey I will take BC and 70 points when they play SMS....
somebody here if offering that :)...we can do it for a Double Cheese at the Habit

Brookside game are always on the road. Both Mitty and SI games are at Laney JC Friday and Saturday. SHC, SMB, and MM are at MM tip off Classic week after next Thursday Friday and Saturday. Last LBP at WCJ first round. It nice for Brookside to play top teams to get them ready for a playoff run. Some teams plan on playing in March like its tradition. Some teams will have better records but not be tested for a playoff run. Records at that time dont mean anything at all except for position in the playoffs. Brookside plays on the road all time so that doesnt matter to them but they will be there like usual. Some teams came in last year with great records but lost in the first round in the Norcal Playoffs.

when is the BC / SMS game? After this weekend I would doubt BC will show up at St. Marys. They asked for it, now they have it, Let's see if they show up. If SMS played the entire game I would lay the 79 and go to the window to get paid.

Besides jazz, u lost all your money a couple years back laying the points on SM Berkeley against Salesian and the Pride won straight up 5 times! Isn't that why you moved to Stockton?

As Clay mentioned the best team does not always win. Basketball is often influenced by the timing factor, of which officiating is just one of the variables. On any given night, considering all variable factors, and the teams are close enough in talent, any team can end up winning. There are games which outcomes are decided by officials, but that is just a part of the equation, since people make mistakes. Even officials that work the NBA and are supposed to be the best make game changing decisions. The thing is that beating that too death serves really no purpose. I have seen officials make bad calls that have influenced outcomes, but I only off the top of my head can remember three where it seemed it was done purely to favor one team or the other. So it is possible and does happen. But more than likely it is just an official having an off night and making mistakes. However, it only takes one official consistently making bad calls, for what ever reason, to influence a game.

It is my personal opinion that officials in general are drawn from a weak pool and generally do not have the necessary skills to excel in that area. This is why even the best make too many mistakes. They are just the best of a weak to mediocre group. Sports have become big business but officiating is still being treated like an avocation rather than a vocation. I would think that career schools/training programs could be established. The would be no different than any career program and could eliminate those that just do not possess the abilities required. To be a good official requires a specific skill set. Right now the are drawn form pools of ex athletes or athlete wannabee's. To excel you need to have good vision and ability, be able to recognize and establish spacing, be able to process variable information at the same time- multitask. Make it a career which has set requirements.

Often it seems like an official is favoring one team over the other, but it might be that the crew is emphasizing certain call that one team is more likely to commit.

I also do not think that that poster is necessarily associated with BC. It always seemed to me that their posts were agenda driven but not necessarily to promote one program or another. The promotion of the program just falls into line with the agenda.

I saw SMB spank SalesIan at the NCS final...
I moved to Stockton .....4 blocks from SMS...but one of the trainers I work with...had to work with them for two years as an unpaid intern before they hired him...
I won't work for free....I told Donovan at ESCP the same thing when I lived in the Bay....
I need to feed the family

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT