ADVERTISEMENT

Nike TOC 2019 Participating Teams 10/31/19...No St John's

becoolpt55

Hall of Famer
Aug 20, 2017
San Jose
Guess Azzi Fudd's injury was too much for St John's to even try to compete....

SCHOOL NAME STATE
Archbishop Mitty CA
Archbishop Wood PA
Basha AZ
Beaverton OR
Bishop O’Dowd CA
Blair Academy NJ
Blance Ely FL
Boulder Creek AZ
Capuchino CA
Carondelet CA
Caruthers CA
Casteel AZ
Cathedral Catholic CA
Centennial CA
Chandler AZ
Chaparral AZ
Cicero North Syracuse NY
Clark NV
Clovis North CA
Columbine CO
Corona del Sol AZ
Crestwood Prep CAN
Desert Ridge AZ
Desert Vista AZ
Dillard FL
Eastside Catholic AZ
El Cajon Christian CA
Elizabeth Seton Catholic MD
Faith Lutheran NV
FDR NY
Fremont NE
Fremont UT
Garfield WA
Gilbert AZ
Grandview CO
Hamilton Heights TN
Highlands Ranch CO
Huntington Beach CA
Kings-Edgehill CAN
Life Center Academy NJ
Lincoln Prep CAN
Long Beach Poly CA
Loomis-Chaffe School CT
Lynwood FL
Marcos de Niza AZ
Marlborough School CA
McClintock AZ
Miami Country Day FL
Millennium AZ
Morgan UT
Mountain Pointe AZ
Mountain Side OR
Mountain Vista CO
Mt Si WA
Mullen CO
National Christian Academy MD
Natrona County WY
New Hope Academy MD
Omaha Westside NE
Oregon City OR
Perry AZ
Pinnacle AZ
Poudre CO
Pueblo AZ
Red Mountain AZ
Redondo Union CA
Riverdale Baptist MD
Rosary CA
Sabino AZ
Sacramento CA
Sacred Heart Cathedral CA
Salesian College Prep CA
Seton Catholic AZ
Shadow Mountain AZ
Sierra Canyon CA
Southwest Academy CAN
St. Francis Catholic CA
St. Mary’s Stockton CA
St. Vincent Pallotti MD
Stuart Country Day NJ
Tempe AZ
Thunder Basin WY
Thunder Ridge CO
TPLS Christian Academy VA
Upper Dublin PA
Verrado AZ
Warren CA
Wesleyan GA
West Campus CA
West Linn OR
Westwood AZ
Williams Field AZ
Windward CA

Mitty
Winward
Centenial
Sierra Canyon
SMS
Riverdale Baptist
Miami Country Day

who else should be in the top bracket??

The $20,000 cost might have had something to do with St. John's staying home.

Blair Academy NJ
Blanche Ely FL
Crestwood Prep CAN
Garfield WA
Hamilton Heights TN
New Hope Academy MD
Sierra Canyon CA
Windward CA

Archbishop Wood PA
Clovis North CA
Dillard FL
Grandview CO
Highlands Ranch CO
Life Center Academy NJ
Long Beach Poly CA
Miami Country Day FL
Riverdale Baptist MD
Rosary CA

----------
Archbishop Mitty CA
Bishop O’Dowd CA
Sacramento CA
Salesian College Prep CA
St. Mary’s Stockton CA

Hard to say where the locals fit ... I would suspect that at least two will be in the top bracket, with Mitty and SMS the most likely candidates. But there's a lot of politicking involved in these brackets, as in most elite tournaments.

Another issue is that Blair and Life Center might have to be in a separate bracket because some states consider them bandit schools because of reclassification and 19-year-old eligibility.

The $20,000 cost might have had something to do with St. John's staying home.

Blair Academy NJ
Blanche Ely FL
Crestwood Prep CAN
Garfield WA
Hamilton Heights TN
New Hope Academy MD
Sierra Canyon CA
Windward CA

Archbishop Wood PA
Clovis North CA
Dillard FL
Grandview CO
Highlands Ranch CO
Life Center Academy NJ
Long Beach Poly CA
Miami Country Day FL
Riverdale Baptist MD
Rosary CA

----------
Archbishop Mitty CA
Bishop O’Dowd CA
Sacramento CA
Salesian College Prep CA
St. Mary’s Stockton CA

Hard to say where the locals fit ... I would suspect that at least two will be in the top bracket, with Mitty and SMS the most likely candidates. But there's a lot of politicking involved in these brackets, as in most elite tournaments.

Another issue is that Blair and Life Center might have to be in a separate bracket because some states consider them bandit schools because of reclassification and 19-year-old eligibility.

There's no way it's 20k! Nike in arizona is about 600 per player. and say you take 20 people, that's only 12k. Are these kids getting single rooms at the Westin and Eating at Michael Mina every night??

When I was at Campo many years ago, we went every year, and the total cost, including transportation, hotel rooms and entry fees was close to $10,000. And we didn't rent vans when we there because we had enough parents who came and rented cars. But if you add vans, it's another $2,000, at least.

And that didn't include food costs for each player and the coaches, plus incidental spending.

Airline prices are much higher than they used to be, and you're shipping 15 to 20 people across the country for an extended stay, and once there, the group has to spend a lot of money every day.

So maybe $20,000 is too much -- call it at least $15,000 and maybe $17,000.

Regardless, it isn't cheap and it's a lot of fund-raising -- or a big bill for each family.

(Iolani is really expensive too, for all the same reasons, but it's one less day.)

Correct. Flights for us out of Fresno (we don't have Southwest so we can hammered on prices) can be $400-500 a ticket. It's horribly expensive to fly out of here. So if you have a team of 20 at $500, that's $10,000 before hotels, gas, rental vans, and food. $15-20k if you fly is very accurate. We drive for this very reason. Makes for a full day there and back, but saves the program that $8-10k.

That's a whole lot of money and good for you coach in trying to save money for parents/school. I have a question for all of you coaches that usually attend...why do you guys go?

1) It costs a lot of money.
2) California schools are ALWAYS at a disadvantage when playing outside of CA due to lack of playing with a shot clock. I remember Mitty and SMS was playing a tough game when Mitty went 4 corners with about 5 minutes left in the game. I thought it was BS on Sue's part but they won the game.
3) you think if CA teams boycotted because no shot clock, nike would change venue?
4) are there other prestigious tourney's like Nike in the US?

Thanks in advance!

I remember Mitty and SMS was playing a tough game when Mitty went 4 corners with about 5 minutes left in the game. I thought it was BS on Sue's part but they won the game.
I think you are misremembering that game... there was no stall ball played in 2017 when AM pulled it out at the end after being down late in the 4th. I don't think there was a single possession by either team down the stretch that would have been a shot clock violation here in CA. But SMS did play a little stall ball like 4 or so years ago in a game they won

Good questions about the TOC ...

Coaching in Lamorinda, I always felt that the vast majority of our families could afford to go without undue hardship -- and we were always willing to help out those who needed help. So yes, it was expensive, but the families bore the brunt of the cost. And I always started checking in April, and if parents didn't think it was a good idea to go, we wouldn't go.

From a team standpoint, I always wanted to travel and stay in hotels at least once a season. It was great for team bonding, for creating an us-against-them atmosphere and for putting something fun on the calendar, something everyone could look forward to.

And if you travel, the time you spend at the tournament is going to cost pretty much the same no matter where you are -- the only difference, as Craig points out, is how much it costs to get there. And again, with Lamorinda families, a lot of folks had miles and other discounts, and enough parents traveled that usually they could drive us to and from games so that we didn't have to rent vans. (We generally did not travel as a complete group, though we tried to get as many girls on the same flight as possible.)

Why the TOC? It's the best tournament in the country, and I always made our girls go to the winner's bracket semifinal games to see people like Maya Moore and Elena Delle Donne and Breanna Stewart, and to see the level the elite teams play at.

Along that line, it was also fun to be in the big resort with all the other teams, and walk around and see all these girls from all over the country gathered together to play in the event. My Bentley teams never won many games there, but we had a great time, and my Campo teams sometimes did well and sometimes not, but it was still an important and fun trip.

As for the 30-second clock, it was never an issue. Most of the teams there are very good teams, and very good teams don't want to stall. The more possessions, the more likely the better team will win. I can't recall a game being decided by lack of a shot clock, though obviously it affects some late-game situations. But if you go, you hardly notice there's no clock ...

I think you are misremembering that game... there was no stall ball played in 2017 when AM pulled it out at the end after being down late in the 4th. I don't think there was a single possession by either team down the stretch that would have been a shot clock violation here in CA. But SMS did play a little stall ball like 4 or so years ago in a game they won

This wasn't the 2017 game...im almost positive it was in like 2015 or 16 season..I can't remember exact year, but remember the time frame. Mitty held the ball at half court while SMS stayed in a zone and REFUSED to come out. even people in the stands were boo'ing the game. it wasn't until about 2-3 minutes left that they finally came out and Mitty just ran the 4 corners offense. I don't think tom even shook her hand after the game. LOL

Good questions about the TOC ...

Coaching in Lamorinda, I always felt that the vast majority of our families could afford to go without undue hardship -- and we were always willing to help out those who needed help. So yes, it was expensive, but the families bore the brunt of the cost. And I always started checking in April, and if parents didn't think it was a good idea to go, we wouldn't go.

From a team standpoint, I always wanted to travel and stay in hotels at least once a season. It was great for team bonding, for creating an us-against-them atmosphere and for putting something fun on the calendar, something everyone could look forward to.

And if you travel, the time you spend at the tournament is going to cost pretty much the same no matter where you are -- the only difference, as Craig points out, is how much it costs to get there. And again, with Lamorinda families, a lot of folks had miles and other discounts, and enough parents traveled that usually they could drive us to and from games so that we didn't have to rent vans. (We generally did not travel as a complete group, though we tried to get as many girls on the same flight as possible.)

Why the TOC? It's the best tournament in the country, and I always made our girls go to the winner's bracket semifinal games to see people like Maya Moore and Elena Delle Donne and Breanna Stewart, and to see the level the elite teams play at.

Along that line, it was also fun to be in the big resort with all the other teams, and walk around and see all these girls from all over the country gathered together to play in the event. My Bentley teams never won many games there, but we had a great time, and my Campo teams sometimes did well and sometimes not, but it was still an important and fun trip.

As for the 30-second clock, it was never an issue. Most of the teams there are very good teams, and very good teams don't want to stall. The more possessions, the more likely the better team will win. I can't recall a game being decided by lack of a shot clock, though obviously it affects some late-game situations. But if you go, you hardly notice there's no clock ...
must be nice

This wasn't the 2017 game...im almost positive it was in like 2015 or 16 season..I can't remember exact year, but remember the time frame. Mitty held the ball at half court while SMS stayed in a zone and REFUSED to come out. even people in the stands were boo'ing the game. it wasn't until about 2-3 minutes left that they finally came out and Mitty just ran the 4 corners offense. I don't think tom even shook her hand after the game. LOL
that was a SMS win in december of 2015.... again I think you are just misremembering..
https://norcalpreps.forums.rivals.com/threads/nike-toc-games-streamed.8903/page-3
check out post number 96... by the bulldog himself.. the biggest mustang fan on this forum

that was a SMS win in december of 2015.... again I think you are just misremembering..
https://norcalpreps.forums.rivals.com/threads/nike-toc-games-streamed.8903/page-3
check out post number 96... by the bulldog himself.. the biggest mustang fan on this forum

like I said I don't remember exactly..I just remember the game. ONE team stalled and what happened. I don't care about the date lol. Like I initially said, I thought it was checking crap that one of the CA teams would do that (go stall early in the 4th quarter) but they played within the rules and won the game. im sure it's not the only time its happened...

like I said I don't remember exactly..I just remember the game. ONE team stalled and what happened. I don't care about the date lol. Like I initially said, I thought it was checking crap that one of the CA teams would do that (go stall early in the 4th quarter) but they played within the rules and won the game. im sure it's not the only time its happened...
well you pretty adamantly made a point TWICE to tell it how you "remember" and you were wrong. Just wanted to make sure your opinion of it being BS, as you stated, was pointed at the correct coach.

St. Mary's won. https://www.maxpreps.com/games/12-2...XmQ3DWmYUCo0YN3plsN1g#tab=box-score&schoolid=

well you pretty adamantly made a point TWICE to tell it how you "remember" and you were wrong. Just wanted to make sure your opinion of it being BS, as you stated, was pointed at the correct coach.

I was adamant about the stalling as you said there was no stalling at the game. And yes, I was pretty adamant about Mitty being staled. Regardless of who stalled (we know it was SMS) I still am adamant that it was total BS, even if the rules were in place.

oh yeah, I AM WRONG and YOU are right...satified? my offing bad! ;)

Last edited:
I was adamant about the stalling as you said there was no stalling at the game. And yes, I was pretty adamant about Mitty being staled. Regardless of who stalled (we know it was SMS) I still am adamant that it was total BS, even if the rules were in place.

oh yeah, I AM WRONG and YOU are right...satified? my offing bad! ;)
I was there, SMS was up by about 20 in the end of 3rd qtr and Mitty couldn’t guard them so they went into a zone . SMS says if u don’t come out to get us we will just go to the finals. They just held the ball and said come out and guard us . Mitty refused and just lost . SMS beat Riverdale Baptist in the finals.

I was there, SMS was up by about 20 in the end of 3rd qtr and Mitty couldn’t guard them so they went into a zone . SMS says if u don’t come out to get us we will just go to the finals. They just held the ball and said come out and guard us . Mitty refused and just lost . SMS beat Riverdale Baptist in the finals.
up 15 at the end of 3

And they played man... Not zone.. Just watched the tape from the archives... But yes there were plenty of possessions that Mitty chased them around or let them stand for a bit

And they played man... Not zone.. Just watched the tape from the archives... But yes there were plenty of possessions that Mitty chased them around or let them stand for a bit
Then you must of heard the Mitty coach yelling don’t go out, we will get them later in California. Well, that never happened as you know . SMS beat Mater Dei for the Open State Championship later that year. I just couldn’t understand why a coach wouldn’t go out and defend. SMS was quicker and more athletic why wouldn’t you spread the court and use those advantages?

Then you must of heard the Mitty coach yelling don’t go out, we will get them later in California. Well, that never happened as you know . SMS beat Mater Dei for the Open State Championship later that year. I just couldn’t understand why a coach wouldn’t go out and defend. SMS was quicker and more athletic why wouldn’t you spread the court and use those advantages?

Come on man. People at the game were booing SMS coach. It was very obvious they were stalling. Please get the facts straight as well. SMS was beat at the end of that year by Pinewood in the Norcal playoffs. Mitty went to to beat SMS the following year easily when SMS coach tried to press full court and Mitty easily broke their press and beat them. Same in the Nike TOC the following year as well. I will agree with you that Tom Gonsalves gets Great athletes at SMS. Mitty just happens to play the game much better in all facets. In those last three games win or loss Mitty out rebounded SMS hand more assists and almost 10 blocks per game.

Reactions: OnBall8
Come on man. People at the game were booing SMS coach. It was very obvious they were stalling. Please get the facts straight as well. SMS was beat at the end of that year by Pinewood in the Norcal playoffs. Mitty went to to beat SMS the following year easily when SMS coach tried to press full court and Mitty easily broke their press and beat them. Same in the Nike TOC the following year as well. I will agree with you that Tom Gonsalves gets Great athletes at SMS. Mitty just happens to play the game much better in all facets. In those last three games win or loss Mitty out rebounded SMS hand more assists and almost 10 blocks per game.
You have a right to YOUR opinion. Facts are SMS has more state championships than Mitty or any other team under Tom in California and is the only team that has been in the open division since it’s started. Btw Nike officials came up Tom after the game and said I don’t know what Mitty was doing. Mitty has not won an OPEN championship. These are facts not opinions. Tom has been National Coach Of The Year twice. Facts, come on man.

Teams like SMS rely so much on athleticism and their press that a lot of times, if the press isn't working and they're not creating turnovers, it's gonna be a much harder game for them to win. Tom gets his kids to play hard, he has run a very successful system. But when you have two teams that are equally matched (athletically) kids that are more well rounded usually are more successful.

My only knock on him is that they sit in a zone, they only have ONE press, and their man is gawd awful. IF they had a coach that could teach them effective man to man principles....damn..but when that press is working....man its can make the other team look UGLY.

You have a right to YOUR opinion. Facts are SMS has more state championships than Mitty or any other team under Tom in California and is the only team that has been in the open division since it’s started. Btw Nike officials came up Tom after the game and said I don’t know what Mitty was doing. Mitty has not won an OPEN championship. These are facts not opinions. Tom has been National Coach Of The Year twice. Facts, come on man.

True, I guess its kinda cool to be having discussions on the success of two of the most successful high school programs in Cali and the nation over the last 10+ years. Good luck to SMS this year. It will be fun to see if they meet up this year at some point.

all facets? i watched them not play all too well in that title game versus clovis west... did that facet count?
asking for a friend

all facets? i watched them not play all too well in that title game versus clovis west... did that facet count?
asking for a friend

Lose by 4 in a tight national championship game that was tight the whole way. They couldn’t have look too bad.

Tom and Sue are both overrated....above average at best...
they recruit and build(AAU programs)great talent every year and underachieve year after year....
they both should be state champs multiple times like 5 or 6 times each
over the last 20 years....
Neither deserves the kudos they get...they both were "born on third
base score and act they just hit a home run..."

they recruit and build(AAU programs)great talent every year and underachieve year after year....
Hmmm, Tom has 7 state championships and at least one national championship. Lol

Sue Phillips has 6 state championships and one "sort of" national championship (as you all remember, it wasn't unanimous, but one of the major polls had them as national champs a few yers back.) So yes, as you say, above average.

To continue the baseball analogies, seems like maybe you were born in the on deck circle, and haven't been able to maneuver yourself to the plate just yet.

How many state titles were won by these programs before them?? Heck how many section titles before them?? If they built it from the ground up (including the feeder programs) then how is that being "born on third"?? Neither of them were just handed the keys to a powerhouse...

Thats probably the dumbest comment I've seen on this board to date..and lets not forget pacific Pete and Citibank used to say some ridiculous things.

Sue is a great coach. Yah she benefits from getting top notch players but its what you do with them that counts. Tom is also a good coach and had been very successful. I've said this time and time again, that my only knock on SMS is that they don't play very good man to man defense. That's about it. But the proof is in the pudding.

IF you look at all the "great' programs in the country and even CA, nobody is a consistent winner. Sierra Canyon is the hot team right now, where 3-4 years ago it was Windward and Mater. Dei. Before them it was Troy, LBP and Bishop Montgomery. Give me ONE top nationally ranked program that doesn't recruit?

Sue Phillips has 6 state championships and one "sort of" national championship (as you all remember, it wasn't unanimous, but one of the major polls had them as national champs a few yers back.) So yes, as you say, above average.

To continue the baseball analogies, seems like maybe you were born in the on deck circle, and haven't been able to maneuver yourself to the plate just yet.

Becool is just being uninformed. I agree that the pre-coach arrival tells the tale of the tape. Im sure they were both "good", just not national.

How many do both have after we went to Open...before Open it was a joke...national hmmmm maybe one...Down the stretch ...in close games...Sue is a deer in the headlights....
Tom sits on his chair like a kid waiting to see the principal ....
Both can only look like coaches when they get tons of talent...
I don't drink the Cool Aid...like the rest of the team...
Last seven years they have together won the Open once....
they should have won at least 4 of those 7...with the talent they had...
some people just can't coach down the stretch...both are weak at that....
now recruiting and building a program they excel....

Last edited:
How many state titles were won by these programs before them?? Heck how many section titles before them?? If they built it from the ground up (including the feeder programs) then how is that being "born on third"?? Neither of them were just handed the keys to a powerhouse...

Mitty before Sue I am not sure, but I think there was a man named Grady that was winning section titles and state titles before Tom. I don’t think Tom built St. Mary’s.

Mitty before Sue I am not sure, but I think there was a man named Grady that was winning section titles and state titles before Tom. I don’t think Tom built St. Mary’s.
I want to know what team mrcool55’s daughter played for tha SMS and Mitty beat so bad the he is hating on these two coaches. Btw . SMS had one d-4 state championship before Tom got there and won 7. I believe they have won 15 consecutive section championships. Anyway NCP needs to get this guy off the board.

Just like me, becool has the drum he always beats ... he doesn't think they're as good as they should be, given their talent. I think almost everyone disagrees with him, for what that's worth.

High school coaching is a little more complicated that college coaching in one major way: The players are younger and more inconsistent physically, emotionally and mentally, which makes upsets more likely. When you're relying on a 15-year-old to see a situation, make the right decision and then execute that decision, you're going to be disappointed more often than if that player were 21 or 25.

I want to know what team mrcool55’s daughter played for tha SMS and Mitty beat so bad the he is hating on these two coaches. Btw . SMS had one d-4 state championship before Tom got there and won 7. I believe they have won 15 consecutive section championships. Anyway NCP needs to get this guy off the board.

OK, one state title but I believe it was one or two years before Tom got there. So my opinion is that he did not build St. Mary’s program. Not saying Tom can’t coach. I met coach Grady as he put in a lot of time in the summer with St. Mary’s program. I think he had something to do with the rise.

I don’t know what year Sue began coaching at Mitty but they’ve had some very good teams for a long time, dating back to when Sue and Kerri Walsh played.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT