ADVERTISEMENT

NorCal Info

Ask Aragon, Sequoia and Carlmont if all this is fair. Aragon beat Lincoln and Sequoia beat Lowell. But because of the CCS and their ridiculous rules none of these teams get to go to Nor Cals. The CIF needs to correct some of these injustices. Two sections with 15 teams has no business sending their league champion and runner up.to Nor Cals

I have a question for everyone in Norcal??? How does Norcalprep rank teams or should we say how does CALSTARS rank teams? Answer this and you will find out on most of the teams rank have a CALSTARS PLAYER ON THEM!!!!! This is like the Vietnam war propaganda!!! Why wasn't Antelope not rank but won Section Championships ??? This is a recruiting tool for CALSTARS and always have been????

I'm only Stating facts!!!!! look up the against the CALSTARS ROSTER!!!!!!

Reactions: missing.link
Who's going to be the Brave Ones to start an AAU WINTER high school league??? Just think some kids are paying for Basketball anyway because they go to a private school. CIF committee will never change because they think they are GOD OR should we say Dictatorship of who the like or dislike?? If you don't fit there cookie cutter coach you don't have a chance with you school.

I have a question for everyone in Norcal??? How does Norcalprep rank teams or should we say how does CALSTARS rank teams? Answer this and you will find out on most of the teams rank have a CALSTARS PLAYER ON THEM!!!!! This is like the Vietnam war propaganda!!! Why wasn't Antelope not rank but won Section Championships ??? This is a recruiting tool for CALSTARS and always have been????

That’s the most absurd thing I think I’ve ever read, and you’ve said sine crazy things. What would be the CIF’s advantage picking teams that have Csl Stars players on them?

you've said this for years and your right..

OK ... so how exactly does that work? (Again, I don't coach in the CalStars traveling program and don't go to tryouts.)

Is there a meeting somewhere with printouts of CalStars' rosters and high school rosters, and carefully compare them? And once they do that, they put the CalStars' teams in the rankings and then ignore the others?

And why would they do that? Money? Other inducements? If so, how does that happen? Are checks written or bags of cash delivered? Who delivers the cash? And to where?

Conspiracy theories are always fun, and this one certainly is, but when you break it down to actual reality, they become less plausible.

Respect generally has interesting ideas, but he does love conspiracies -- first it was anti-Brookside Christian, and now it's anti-Antelope (or pro-CalStars).

So here's one: I think CIF hates NCS and doesn't want NCS to win any NorCal championships. They took the top four NCS teams and put them on the road in the Open, and then had the next two best, according to CIF, seeded third and fourth in Division I.

Clearly, CIF is out to get NCS, and it's probably because the other sections got together and bribed the CIF members on the committee to do the seeding that way.

Reactions: colhenrylives
Lincoln and Lowell have no gripes. They are lucky to be in Nor Cals. The San Francisco Section and the Oakland Section has a total of about 15 teams and If they win their league they get to go to Nor Cals. That does not seem fair and it is not. Mean while the CCS has about 160 teams and they only send 17. San Francisco and Oakland send 4
I doubt either team of Lincoln or Lowell will go any further than first round in Norcals. Winning in a fairly weak division is not doing anything but taking up two slots for two more deserving teams.

It appears to me that they really used the max preps rankings a lot to determine many of the seeds. And we all know that these rankings are flawed in many ways.
And it appears they used the maxpreps rankings from Friday morning, and not an updated one that should have been made after the Friday and Saturday results. So flawed just like the brackets and seedings. Very upsetting.

And it appears they used the maxpreps rankings from Friday morning, and not an updated one that should have been made after the Friday and Saturday results. So flawed just like the brackets and seedings. Very upsetting.

If it shows me correctly I think Maxpreps did play in a factor at least i believe that will explain the Logan getting the 16 seed. Amongst the D1 team left. Logan was ranked ahead of cal hi and Mt. eden in the maxpreps.

Ah ... so the CEO of State Farm called up the CIF and said "Hey, give the CalStars' girls' basketball teams the best seeds -- you know the ones I mean, and if you don't, I just had my administrative assistant spend an hour checking the rosters. Oh, sorry, I only have a few more minutes to spend on this big money deal -- I've got a multimillion dollar bid to complete by lunch."

Reactions: ballusa2015
I doubt either team of Lincoln or Lowell will go any further than first round in Norcals. Winning in a fairly weak division is not doing anything but taking up two slots for two more deserving teams.

Aragon would happily take a spot from one of them.

clay

You been apart of CALSTARS for the long time. That's no what I was saying! What I was saying Norcalprep ranking is very Bias toward CALSTARS team and if the CIF is using the ranking for Seeding.

Let talk about State Farm part township of a branch. Kelly owns his own insurance company under the State Farm Umbrella. I guess you don't know how insurance company work!!!!!

The no explanation part is bothersome. I will try to call tomorrow to see if I can get someone to explain various decisions ...

(As a side note, this is a very small reason why the death of newspapers is bad. Back in the day, I would have written about this and many more people would have seen it than saw my story in SportStars. And I would have gone off in a column too ...

So imagine what's being missed in important stuff at the city and county level.)
Come on Clay your team landed exactly where you wanted. Something that Trump needs to learn, sometimes saying nothing is the best answer.

I wasn't complaining about our placement -- we're happy. There are others that are confusing, and here's the weirdest I've seen:

San Ramon Valley was seeded fourth in NCS D-1, James Logan fifth.

Logan loses in the first round to San Leandro. San Ramon beats San Leandro in round two.

James Logan goes to D-1 (16th seed). SRV goes to D-II (fourth seed).

Competitive equity certainly would suggest the reverse.

And if St. Bernard's somehow gets to the semis, they conceivably would have to travel 450 miles for a Wednesday game against San Joaquin Memorial, if the Fresno team also reached the semis.

But don't miss school ...

MM should be very happy with their placement. The top half of the D1 bracket looks to be a much easier path for MM and Presentation. The bottom half looks to be where there could be some upsets. How about SJND getting matched up with McClatchy first round and then potentially either Bear Creek or Saint Francis who they only beat by 4 earlier in the season and has played in toughest league in NorCal. Poor Heritage gets SHC in 1st game? I dont see that going well for them, this is where SHC toughest schedule 30.3 SOS will hopefully help them beat a tough Heriatge team on the road. Then ECP has to beat SHC a 3rd time this season? The Division 1 bracket this year should be very interesting, I dont see any blowouts, should be great games.

MM should be very happy with their placement. The top half of the D1 bracket looks to be a much easier path for MM and Presentation. The bottom half looks to be where there could be some upsets. How about SJND getting matched up with McClatchy first round and then potentially either Bear Creek or Saint Francis who they only beat by 4 earlier in the season and has played in toughest league in NorCal. Poor Heritage gets SHC in 1st game? I dont see that going well for them, this is where SHC toughest schedule 30.3 SOS will hopefully help them beat a tough Heriatge team on the road. Then ECP has to beat SHC a 3rd time this season? The Division 1 bracket this year should be very interesting, I dont see any blowouts, should be great games.

I think Heritage can't be taken too lightly. I agree SHC is more battle tested. And may have a more winning tradition. But Heritage will most likely have a real home court advantage. That home court advantage may even sway the calls in their favor. And they have a strong starting lineup that doesn't have many weaknesses. Their coaching also tends to be good. Likewise with SHC. So it is a good matchup. So I would shy away from just thinking about the 2nd round having SHC in it and not Heritage. I am not calling it one way or the other. Just reminding folks that all of these post season games have to be won on the court of law( the basketball floor) not the court of popular opinion.

If we're relying on opinions we better ask JBJ6. :)

Last edited:
I know the AAA / SF section is weak and doesn't get much love. But how the heck does Lowell get a home game against a section champion? Obviously kipp wasn't ranked high enough.

Lincoln gets a 13 seed and an away game too for winning the AAA. But who knows? Maybe the matchups are better

Lincoln gets to travel to SJM after winning the section.

clay

You been apart of CALSTARS for the long time. That's no what I was saying! What I was saying Norcalprep ranking is very Bias toward CALSTARS team and if the CIF is using the ranking for Seeding.

Let talk about State Farm part township of a branch. Kelly owns his own insurance company under the State Farm Umbrella. I guess you don't know how insurance company work!!!!!

Cal stars doesn't have a horse in this race. Maybe YOU don't understand how this works! Why would CIF...nevermind...you're obviously unaware or not competent enough to support a claim that Farmers tells the CIF how to seed teams. Unbelievable dotard

I wasn't complaining about our placement -- we're happy. There are others that are confusing, and here's the weirdest I've seen:

Logan loses in the first round to San Leandro. San Ramon beats San Leandro in round two.

And if St. Bernard's somehow gets to the semis, they conceivably would have to travel 450 miles for a Wednesday game against San Joaquin Memorial, if the Fresno team also reached the semis.

What's funny about SB was that they JUST got moved up from D6 to D5 for NCS

Cal stars doesn't have a horse in this race. Maybe YOU don't understand how this works! Why would CIF...nevermind...you're obviously unaware or not competent enough to support a claim that Farmers tells the CIF how to seed teams. Unbelievable dotard
Taking shots are we???! I'm ready to launch my opinion on anything just let me know

Not to defend anything that Respect says on this board, because that would be stupid of me. But obviously he has some strong opinions and accusations going on with politics of CIF and CalStars. Maybe he is Miramonte and SJND are coached by CalStars coaches and probably should have been placed in Open as 7 and 8 seeds. Instead got very good seeds in D1 and possible chance at Norcal and State titles. Cardinal Newman and BOD (not CalStars coaches) jumped ahead of them and are the 2 sacrificial lambs for the two top teams in the country.

Or How about Oakland Tech 6th seed in D-4 after losing to Kipp King and they are 13th seed in D-5. Oakland also got a bad seed at 16th in D-3 and going all the way to Enterprise.
How did Oakland Section got 3 schools in and the not even high rating?

I believe that most EVERYONE agrees that the seeds are absolutely terrible, D1-below. Cal High, San Leandro, Mt. Eden not getting in? James Logan gets in? St. Bernards moves from D6 last year to D4 this? How about Eureka getting a 2 seed and Arcata, which was in a section championship, won the league with Eureka in it and gets to travel to San Jose? OR Dublin, quarterfinalist, top 10 in D1 NCS and gets to go to d3?

It's obvious that the system is TOTALLY flawed. What I'm saying is that the accusations that Farmers, a NATIONAL company would call up CIF an say; "Hey, could you do us a favor? Kelly Sopak works for Farmers and Farmers sponsors your tournament. Would it be possible for you to make sure EVERY team that has Cal Stars players on it, gets a good seed?" Do you see the ignorance in that statement?

The thing of it is, NOTHING will ever change. Just like the NCAA, the CIF will do whatever it wants and dictate how it sees fit. What are the HS's gonna do? Protest and not play a post season? The coaches, and administrators at the high school level have NO teeth and virtually no pull in any of the decisions being made. What I think should be public is HOW they came to how the decisions of placing teams. I remember when NCS and CIF was open forums and anyone could go and see. So much for transparency!

Reactions: letsski
For the record, I was not at the Elite tryouts. I did see one CalStars' Elite game at the Fieldhouse. It's also possible I was at the Fieldhouse coaching a one-win fifth grade team that is affiliated with Cal Stars.

The vitriol about Cal Stars is pretty impressive, really, as the stretch to say that State Farm or Cal Stars are influencing the bracketing of the NorCal playoffs is right up there with the U.N. black helicopters that are poised to invade Texas.

How did Clovis a D1 team in a League with Clovis west (socal open team) and Clovis North (socal open team) get moved to Norcal D3??

Piedmont who didnt even make the NCS Championship game gets a higher seed than a team some people thought was going to the open West Campus in D3?

Edison a team that beat highly ranked McClatchy only to get knocked out of the playoffs by a team that could win the OPEN state championship gets a 13 seed behind a castro valley team that was knocked out by Heritage in the semis of NCS (mcclatchy beat Heritage Twice)

How did Clovis a D1 team in a League with Clovis west (socal open team) and Clovis North (socal open team) get moved to Norcal D3??

Piedmont who didnt even make the NCS Championship game gets a higher seed than a team some people thought was going to the open West Campus in D3?

Edison a team that beat highly ranked McClatchy only to get knocked out of the playoffs by a team that could win the OPEN state championship gets a 13 seed behind a castro valley team that was knocked out by Heritage in the semis of NCS (mcclatchy beat Heritage Twice)

As was stated in many threads, the committee was very inconsistent with their placement and seedings in each division. I agree with Clay's statement "Some teams got very lucky, some got screwed, but that happens every time".
The Committee really missed the mark with West Campus, but I'm sure they will not be complaining. Their maxpreps ranking is very low because of their SOS in league. They got a low seeding in Sections because of this, but still was able to kill everyone by over 20 for back to back D4 championships. So looks like the Committee used those same maxpreps rankings to drop them all the way to D3 Norcal even though many of this site know otherwise.
Edison has same issue with low maxpreps ranking because of league SOS. BUT the CIF section and now Norcal obviously paid attention to the head to head wins over McClatchy because in both, their seeding jumped several spots so they were in front of McClatchy. Guess they didn't care that West Campus also beat McClatchy. Heritage did lose to McClatchy only once in OT, so guess that didnt affect their being seeded ahead of McClatchy.
Like I said, just very inconsistent on what criteria they used.

For the record, I was not at the Elite tryouts. I did see one CalStars' Elite game at the Fieldhouse. It's also possible I was at the Fieldhouse coaching a one-win fifth grade team that is affiliated with Cal Stars.

The vitriol about Cal Stars is pretty impressive, really, as the stretch to say that State Farm or Cal Stars are influencing the bracketing of the NorCal playoffs is right up there with the U.N. black helicopters that are poised to invade Texas.
I wish someone like State Farm could influence CCS or CIF. The reality is that they don't answer to anyone, can do as they please and we, the players, coaches, families and fans can do nothing about it. I wish Respect was right - at least with a conspiracy there would be some proof that anyone in CIF actually cared about the teams and basketball community.

Their job is to try to position as many teams as possible to win a State Championship. So, they move teams down to lower levels to be able to compete. The offset to that is they have to push other teams up to get sacrificed. In my mind, that's how Logan ended up in D1. That's how MM and Campo ended up in D1 and D3. How do they decide? I don't really know, but somehow the FIFA World Cup is being play in Qatar. SJS has been doing it for years in football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT