ADVERTISEMENT

North Bay Pre Season Rankings 2017-2018

UncleYacht

Sports Fanatic
Mar 2, 2017
I would like to hear who everybody thinks will come back with top tier squads next year. I'll toss this one up to @northbaybbguru @Streak One and @winetot who seem to be "In the know" most prominently in the area, as well as @larry legend33 and @bella123 . Will this year's top team's fall off, will top Seniors be replaced with ease or missed badly. Any young kids to look out for? Didn't catch many JV games, any surprise teams that look to make big jumps and dethrone the regular top tier teams like CN, Analy, MHS, Windsor? @AgapBltz /@preventdefenseMV your insights are always entertaining to say the very least. @winetot @AgapBltz @northbaybbguru You guys ever grab that brkfast at OmEx? LOL You guys sure had some solid banter! I thought it was a pretty good year for basketball in the North Bay, a lot of high quality basketball!

Reactions: damim
Sorry yacht,

cant make any predictions until I see what out of district transfers Monty and Windsor have coming in next yr.
since they both seem to have had their fair share of them over the last few yrs.
Will know more in September, redo this thread then.

Sorry yacht,

cant make any predictions until I see what out of district transfers Monty and Windsor have coming in next yr.
since they both seem to have had their fair share of them over the last few yrs.
@northbaybbguru Aren't all Cardinal Newman players technically out of district transfers?

Reactions: SHgradSIdad
NO.....you would be wrong.

Incoming freshman arent transfers...
And Santa Rosa is open enrollment....so anybody can go anywhere, they aren't held to where they live, but of course you already know that. You just figured you take a fake news swipe at CN.

I'm talking out of (santa rosa) district transfers from other schools in different leagues from up north or east bay or wherever the next all league stud comes from (out of nowhere)...that seems to be happening quite a bit lately. C'mon boat you know that's fact.

I'm going to go out on a limb:

1 Rancho Cotate
2 not sure
3 not sure
4 not sure
5 not sure

NO.....you would be wrong.

Incoming freshman arent transfers...
And Santa Rosa is open enrollment....so anybody can go anywhere, they aren't held to where they live, but of course you already know that. You just figured you take a fake news swipe at CN.

I'm talking out of (santa rosa) district transfers from other schools in different leagues from up north or east bay or wherever the next all league stud comes from (out of nowhere)...that seems to be happening quite a bit lately. C'mon boat you know that's fact.
@northbaybbguru Pretty sure there isn't open enrollment in Santa Rosa's school district anymore...and let's hope you have the right "Boat". Wouldn't want another "Boat" taking credit for witty posts, or another case of mistaken identity to develop...

I think you have to start with the 3 top tier programs. (not in any order)
Monty, Newman , and Windsor.

Windsor returns most of there team and the 6"7 smith twins who could end up 6"8+ next year. That is a tough matchup for anybody to deal with. They weren't deep at all and will need to add depth at guard position but I would think Windsor could be the early favorite.

Newman - Lose Baker, Wallace, Dove, and Dural. Big losses on a 28 team win and NBL title team. They do have a good nucleus returning and I hear underclass is strong. One thing that will help Newman is they played 11 guys this year so many of these kids got a lot of good game experience. But out of the 3 newman takes the biggest hit for grads.

Monty- Lose a great guard in Alex Soria. I think he was a 3 year starter. But Monty was young as well and return some good players with size. (O'neil and Paulson) I think Monty will be right in the mix and could be a favorite if the pieces come together.

Don't know about transfers and all that jazz.

Reactions: UncleYacht
My initial thought is.... there's basketball being played up there? Like my old auntie Wendy peckerwood used to say "those boys ain't got a lick of talent, but they sure do love the game don't they, look at em' go!"

I suspect the team that pays the most attention to the details will win this league next year. I saw a quote online that Tom Bonfigli watched the film on 14 Moreau Catholic games before they played. I'll put my money on them Catholic boys next year.

Sorry yacht,

Sounds like the wild west! Dog eat dog!

My initial thought is.... there's basketball being played up there? Like my old auntie Wendy peckerwood used to say "those boys ain't got a lick of talent, but they sure do love the game don't they, look at em' go!"

I suspect the team that pays the most attention to the details will win this league next year. I saw a quote online that Tom Bonfigli watched the film on 14 Moreau Catholic games before they played. I'll put my money on them Catholic boys next year.

Rumor has it....

Auntie Wendy was a ballplayer back in the old days!!...

Reactions: DonniePeckerwood

63014046.jpg

After a fun week in the NBL we have a three way tie at the top. I've still got my money on Newman. Who does larrylegend have? His takes/predictions are always super accurate!

Yo..... I like Newman as well. I was a little down on them this year after a very strong 2017 season in which they lost to state runner up Moreau Cath in Normal semis, but Bonfigli has a way to get the most out of his kids. They are deep and have a lot of what I would call good HS players in that 6"2-6"5 range. Newman is 15-3 and one loss is to 17-1 Las Lomas and the other is too 13-3 Montgomery. They have what looks to be a very good win over a 13-3 Dougherty Valley. Wish they would have played a couple stronger pre-season games is all. But in reality Windsor, Monty, and Newman are all very good D2 schools that can knock off a lot of teams in Norcal on any given night. Actually Newman is a D4 school but played up last year and I think has to play up this year. Windsor has a 6 pt loss to Heritage as an example. We know how tough monty is. They beat LL last year and return a bunch of kids. Going to be a really tight race. I think Newman wins it but it will be one of those OT type classics against the Vikings.

Donnie- Probably a long shot for any NCS type hopes in terms of championships but I think you have 2 out of these 3 that will go on to play a norcal game or 2. It all depends on who is in D2 or not. If ODOWD and LL are in that bracket those 2 are the favorites. Also don't sleep on Tamalpais. My understanding is Newman is playing in D2. If they were playing in D4 I think St Pats would still be the favorite but Newman would have a better shot. For now the NBL is a 3 team race and only a few points separates these teams. Should be fun.

Last edited:
I could see Newman winning NCS, Bonfigli is a wizard. Has he gotten to 800 yet? Probably no chance against O'Dowd if O'Dowd is in D2 though..... Call me crazy but I like Newman in a rematch against LL. LL's style is niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice in the regular season. I'll take Newman's style in the post season slowing it down and grinding it out, caring about defense, and doing the little things right while paying attention to the details!

I could see Newman winning NCS, Bonfigli is a wizard. Has he gotten to 800 yet? Probably no chance against O'Dowd if O'Dowd is in D2 though..... Call me crazy but I like Newman in a rematch against LL. LL's style is niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice in the regular season. I'll take Newman's style in the post season slowing it down and grinding it out, caring about defense, and doing the little things right while paying attention to the details!
Bonfigli is a wizard! Just ask him! You'll know when he gets to 800 he'll throw a parade for himself I'm sure. Probably next year in a big win vs Elsie or Elmo to get #800!

Last edited:
CN is D2 again this yr. They thought they would be allowed to go back to D4 this season but Gil Lemon told them they had to stay in D2. Im pretty sure its permanent...shaky strategical move by Bonfigli IMO...its one thing to "earn" your way up divisions by success at lower level. Its another to opt up....With Link Wilmerding lookn like top D4 squad currently Im betting they are regretting the decision.

***is University D4 or D5? Im assuming they are D5. If they are D4 then obviously they would be in D4 conversation also with LM.

Last edited:
CN is D2 again this yr. They thought they would be allowed to go back to D4 this season but Gil Lemon told them they had to stay in D2. Im pretty sure its permanent...shaky strategical move by Bonfigli IMO...its one thing to "earn" your way up divisions by success at lower level. Its another to opt up....With Link Wilmerding lookn like top D4 squad currently Im betting they are regretting the decision.

***is University D4 or D5? Im assuming they are D5. If they are D4 then obviously they would be in D4 conversation also with LM.
University is D5. They are ranked 1 in D5 just ahead of Branson.

Yeah bad move by Newman in Hoops. Lesson learned by not trying to "game" the system. Newman belong in D4 where they can make some serious noise. Baseball they will be able to compete in D1 this year and obviously we know what they can do in Football. Strange though last year they made a pretty strong run in D2 Norcal and if it wasn't for Moreau's 2 studs going nuts Newman could have been playing for a norcal title. HS hoops you never know sometimes.

Ok fine, I'll kick things off! Newman is going to be all kinds of fired up, back in their home gym again, great story! They've had a tremendous season so far and are a very strong and deep team! But not so fast my friends..... I got the Vikings in an OT heartbreaking classic tonight! Both teams shot the lights out in round 1, expect both coaching staffs to make some adjustments defensively and for this game to be a bit more of a grind and a slugfest!

I almost never know much (if anything) about the NorthBay teams and players until playoff time. No shot at NorthBay, I just don't live up there and few of those teams leave their area until the playoffs. No shot at NorthBay ball, just logistics in my case...

Totally get it kiddman! If you're ever looking to catch a game up that way, I can give you a lift! I've got the sirius xm radio basketball station and Van Halen's first six albums with David Lee Roth dialed in, will be a fun ride! The offer is always on the table, give me a shout!

Windsor needs to be careful and not look past Maria Carillo. They are pretty well rounded and can beat anybody in that league on any given night.

Windsor needs to be careful and not look past Maria Carillo. They are pretty well rounded and can beat anybody in that league on any given night.

The Pumas? That's a bold call. I just looked them up on maxpreps and it looks like their most impressive game of the season was a 2 point loss to Montgomery? You must know something that the experts don't! Windsor can play, the thing I like about them is that they take pride on defense and focus on the details! Those big fellas can guard the perimeter too, Coach Taylor does a great job! Surprised to see Carrillo was able to put up 51 on them the first go round.

Which one? Heard Windsor won by about 22. But, “It was imuch closer than the scoreboard indicated” which obviously could be the case!

That's a great point! Often times scores can be deceptive, can't they?

Calling on Larry Legend - what happened in the NBL last night!?

Newman got pounded by Montgomery by 21. One of the worse losses in CN history at home. Monty seems to be the team to beat and with the way they play defense they could make some noise down the stretch into NCS. I think there is a clear cut best team now. Monty is 17-1 since December.

I agree with LL...
It was bad...CN was undisciplined on D....and their offense was pre-historic.

Hoosiers ended in the 50s and CNs offense was similar but without Jimmy Chitwood.
The players were overmatched and the coaching staff had no backup plan and made no halftime adjustments.

Whipped from opening tip

Just ouch.... "Don't get caught watching the paint dry" as they said in Hoosiers. A real ass whooping. Tiedeman does a really nice job at Monty and they have a couple solid players this year. I would expect a couple "JC" guys in Paulson and O'neil. Both 6'4-6"5 and play multiple spots on floor. They are one of the those teams you don't want to meet because they don't look like they are that good but you realize into the game you have a battle on your hands.

Wow - it looks like the Vikings really took pride in their defense and paid attention to the details! Newman is a very talented team! Very talented!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT