ADVERTISEMENT

Open Round 1

Clovis north is a fantastic team fun to watch their two guards might be an average of 5 ft 8 and 140 lbs . How are they able to get it done at this level. Watched them play earlier in season. Would figure they would of been a major div 1 threat . Not an open bracket semi finalist

Absolutely fantastic basketball. The games went like many thought. Close nail biters where every possession counts. Really tough deal for DLS with Blair hurting knee in 4th and not finishing. You could make a strong arguement they win that game if he was on the floor but he wasn't and MC continues to impress.

Love the Clovis North team. Those kids are relentless. They really didn't shoot remotely close to what they usually do and still found a way.

Nice win MC took advantage of Blair injury.
Did Blair finish game?
It looked to me that this was a pretty serious knee injury surprised he finished the third quarter. After spending a few minutes with training staff sitting on the court he limped or walked off the court to the locker room. He came back out at mid-4 quarter to sit on the bench but clearly was close to healthy. I seriously doubt he would have played in any additional games this season. It's a shame but at least he is only a junior so he doesn't end his stellar career like that.

It looked to me that this was a pretty serious knee injury surprised he finished the third quarter. After spending a few minutes with training staff sitting on the court he limped or walked off the court to the locker room. He came back out at mid-4 quarter to sit on the bench but clearly was close to healthy. I seriously doubt he would have played in any additional games this season. It's a shame but at least he is only a junior so he doesn't end his stellar career like that.
Agreed, but bummer for baseball season which starts now. (assuming its a serious knee surgery) He's a stud athlete. Hope he is ok.

Reactions: ayalar09

He is projected to be a first round pick. So probably unlikely he will play basketball again. And some say Top 10. This past draft the 10th pick was a 5mil bonus slot.

He is projected to be a first round pick. So probably unlikely he will play basketball again. And some say Top 10. This past draft the 10th pick was a 5mil bonus slot.

First thing I thought of when I heard serious knee injury. This is why when a kid is really good at a sport he usually sticks to that sport.

But with Blair it’s hard because they have him projected as a top 10 pick in the 2025 draft in baseball and also a potential 1st round pick in the nba draft in 2026. My guess is he goes the baseball route.

As for my predictions, I guess I’m the cooler for some of these teams. But I think Riordan and Salesian are going to beat Clovis north and MC pretty handily.

These are 4 darn good teams. But Clovis north’s height will get them against Riordan. Salesians athleticism will win their game against MC.

Looks like Blair is out for the night, maybe…
Blair was taken to the locker room at the end of the 3rd quarter, and never returned. He was heard saying he heard a pop, before the trainer tended to him. The team sorely missed him in the final quarter, but credit MC & Sykes, as they did what they needed to win & advance. I hope Blair’s knee is ok, as his main sport is baseball, and that season has already started. Great game tonight.

Blair was taken to the locker room at the end of the 3rd quarter, and never returned. He was heard saying he heard a pop, before the trainer tended to him. The team sorely missed him in the final quarter, but credit MC & Sykes, as they did what they needed to win & advance. I hope Blair’s knee is ok, as his main sport is baseball, and that season has already started. Great game tonight.
Really tough break. But honestly I thought DLS would have built a little lead going into the 4th and they never could get seperation from a very scrappy MC team. Hats of @M.C. fan ! You guys are on a tear and have certainly proved me wrong. As for Blair really hope he's ok but hes young and will heal. He is really a baseball kid in the long run. Certainly athletic and crafty enough to play D1 hoops but long term he's getting paid on the grass.

Reactions: observer22
First thing I thought of when I heard serious knee injury. This is why when a kid is really good at a sport he usually sticks to that sport.

But with Blair it’s hard because they have him projected as a top 10 pick in the 2025 draft in baseball and also a potential 1st round pick in the nba draft in 2026. My guess is he goes the baseball route.

As for my predictions, I guess I’m the cooler for some of these teams. But I think Riordan and Salesian are going to beat Clovis north and MC pretty handily.

These are 4 darn good teams. But Clovis north’s height will get them against Riordan. Salesians athleticism will win their game against MC.
define POTENTIAL... while alec is a good player and has dominated versus the EBAL..... he is NOWHERE near a 1st round nba in 2026.

amazing that you spent the last couple of years around prolific and seen NBA talent and think alec is on par... AJ is the projected top pick and blair doesnt even have the same bag as him. But i guess the word potential is used loosely here... technically we all are potential.

however, you are correct about clovis north and their lack of height.... they better get all the grit they can, cuz nobody is stopping that R train

what are we supposed be looking at in the video?
Karen's new haircut?
Coach Rob wearing his infamous beanie?
Adults wearing winter coats and students wearing shorts and t shirts?
Did they carry the hoop away back to Salida?
audio

define POTENTIAL... while alec is a good player and has dominated versus the EBAL..... he is NOWHERE near a 1st round nba in 2026.

amazing that you spent the last couple of years around prolific and seen NBA talent and think alec is on par... AJ is the projected top pick and blair doesnt even have the same bag as him. But i guess the word potential is used loosely here... technically we all are potential.

however, you are correct about clovis north and their lack of height.... they better get all the grit they can, cuz nobody is stopping that R train

Agree 100 percent. Although you know who he reminds me of is that Luke kid that played out of Nevada that one time at MLK when it was at Cal. Pretty sure his name was Luke and have not a clue what his last name was. Only exception is he is not as quick and can’t shoot like him. And I think that kid was a 2nd rounder. It sucks getting old, hard to remember all the names

We have spent a lot of time (and its justified) talking about issues with the current framework for the state playoffs. But one thing that really works well is the Open Division. It is great high school basketball and has usually produced some great endings over the years.

Reactions: observer22
Agree 100 percent. Although you know who he reminds me of is that Luke kid that played out of Nevada that one time at MLK when it was at Cal. Pretty sure his name was Luke and have not a clue what his last name was. Only exception is he is not as quick and can’t shoot like him. And I think that kid was a 2nd rounder. It sucks getting old, hard to remember all the names
Luke Babbitt. Other than being white and lefty they aren’t very similar. Babbitt was 6-9 and post oriented and Blair has played the point and is 6-6.

We have spent a lot of time (and its justified) talking about issues with the current framework for the state playoffs. But one thing that really works well is the Open Division. It is great high school basketball and has usually produced some great endings over the years.
but the teams that go to the open and get bounced probably would rather stay in D1.

Luke Babbitt... He was a rookie with the Trailblazers during the time I lived there... I went to their free "fanfest" scrimmage that year. I remember other Blazers trying to teach Luke how to do the "Dougie" dance just before the game...

It wasn't pretty. :)

Really tough break. But honestly I thought DLS would have built a little lead going into the 4th and they never could get seperation from a very scrappy MC team. Hats of @M.C. fan ! You guys are on a tear and have certainly proved me wrong. As for Blair really hope he's ok but hes young and will heal. He is really a baseball kid in the long run. Certainly athletic and crafty enough to play D1 hoops but long term he's getting paid on the grass.
One aspect of Blair's game that is probably under-appreciated are his defensive abilities. He held Sykes in check the first 3 quarters and it was no accident that Sykes got OFF in the 4th quarter after Blair went down and was the difference down the stretch IMO. In the Branson game he held Butler in check the whole game and didn't let him get off so he's a defensive stopper at least at the elite high school level - long AF and quick twitch for a 6'6" guy. I really hope it's not a serious knee injury and only a sprain.

Reactions: viper221980
One aspect of Blair's game that is probably under-appreciated are his defensive abilities. He held Sykes in check the first 3 quarters and it was no accident that Sykes got OFF in the 4th quarter after Blair went down and was the difference down the stretch IMO. In the Branson game he held Butler in check the whole game and didn't let him get off so he's a defensive stopper at least at the elite high school level - long AF and quick twitch for a 6'6" guy. I really hope it's not a serious knee injury and only a sprain.
Oh he can play in college at the Pac12/WCC level. Anybody who thinks different isn't very smart. First, he comes from a great program so he knows how to defend, run a system, and win. Secondly, he's a D1 athlete in terms of size, length, and jumping. Lastly, he's a lefty and they always seem to be extra crafty and unique. I think this gives him an advantage. My only 2 critiques is he isn't a modern day stretch wing/guard. His lack of ability to shoot 3's will hurt him at next level. And, he has a tendency to monopolize the ball.

but the teams that go to the open and get bounced probably would rather stay in D1.
Ive heard less complaining this year on it. I'm sure there is disappoinment with being done early but After 10+ years of it, I think the dividing line between Open and the rest has become a badge of honor.

And what I was referring to more was the fan experience. It is a pretty true seeding and the atomspheres are great

Ive heard less complaining this year on it. I'm sure there is disappoinment with being done early but After 10+ years of it, I think the dividing line between Open and the rest has become a badge of honor.

And what I was referring to more was the fan experience. It is a pretty true seeding and the atomspheres are great
Agreed. The State Open is the ultimate measuring stick. Sure, all but the winning team may have done better against lesser teams in D1, but they know they got their shot at the best of the best in the Open division. Most of the Open teams are highly decorated programs that are used to going to tournaments and playing at the highest level brackets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT