ADVERTISEMENT

Open

I don't see anybody coming within double figures of whoever the socal winner is. (I think a 10-12 pt margin of victory) Whether its Sierra Canyon, Bishop Monty, or MD. Just too much size and talent.... Last year WC had a MCD All American that kept them in the game against BM. Norcal teams have nobody like that this year.

The crazy thing is any of the traveling open teams can beat the home team this year. Its not like Folsom couldn't beat Salesian on any given night. These 8 teams are all very good and little separates them.

A bit surprising that O'Dowd is hosting their first-round game in that little bandbox gym... But that's what I have a ticket for...

I know, St. Joe's was allowed to host in their own gym last year, but that little gym is like Newark Memorial compared to O'Dowd's place.

Edit: Well, I *think* it's at the O'Dowd gym... The brackets don't have a TBA for the site anymore, but I've found two news sites that still say it's TBA. In any case, I have a ticket. :)

Last edited:
I don't see anybody coming within double figures of whoever the socal winner is. (I think a 10-12 pt margin of victory) Whether its Sierra Canyon, Bishop Monty, or MD. Just too much size and talent.... Last year WC had a MCD All American that kept them in the game against BM. Norcal teams have nobody like that this year.

The crazy thing is any of the traveling open teams can beat the home team this year. Its not like Folsom couldn't beat Salesian on any given night. These 8 teams are all very good and little separates them.
And to think folks up here in the "north" were whining about seeding & the new "competitive equity" format while the SoCal teams jus "lace them up & go ball"!!! I do feel tho, teams like Salesian, O'Dowd have the best shot at beating Mater Dei or B. Montgomery from a stylistic perspective, but I feel both north squads would lose to Sierra Canyon who's bigger & much more athletic than the athletes from Salesian or O'Dowd, I'm jus basically using boxings terminology "STYLES MAKES THE FIGHT", for those of u who are fight fans...

Reactions: nostancenochance
I don't see Folsom advancing but anybody who thinks this will be a cake walk for salesian is very mistaken and salesian has a recent history of getting bounced early in playoffs. I see a very low scoring type game. 50-45 or so. Folsom was probably a D1 team this year to be honest but they get to play with the big boys.
Legend you are off your game. While I don't disagree with your logic about the competitiveness of the game. Salesian having a history or being bounced early is somewhat disingenuous because they have been the lower seed. It's not like they lost to a lick-wilmerding at home like my bruins last year.

Reactions: DonniePeckerwood
The only teams who have a shot at beating Salesian are in SoCal

Sierra Canyon is capable of beating Salesian
Mater Dei is capable of beating Salesian

That's it.........No arguments can be made otherwise!

Reactions: MoneyTeam0115

Bishop Montgomery can play with anyone in the state - they are ranked #6 in the US. I like Salesian's quickness and guard play but the big 3 from SoCal will have such a size advantage that it'll be tough for them to keep it close but that's why they play the games.

Bishop Montgomery can play with anyone in the state - they are ranked #6 in the US. I like Salesian's quickness and guard play but the big 3 from SoCal will have such a size advantage that it'll be tough for them to keep it close but that's why they play the games.

I completely forgot about Bishop Montgomery....another SoCal Powerhouse.

Most years I would agree with you, but this Salesian's team has the ability to beat anybody.

I wonder if they won the Open, if they might get that elusive invitation to the Maxpreps National High School Invitational

And to think folks up here in the "north" were whining about seeding & the new "competitive equity" format while the SoCal teams jus "lace them up & go ball"!!! I do feel tho, teams like Salesian, O'Dowd have the best shot at beating Mater Dei or B. Montgomery from a stylistic perspective, but I feel both north squads would lose to Sierra Canyon who's bigger & much more athletic than the athletes from Salesian or O'Dowd, I'm jus basically using boxings terminology "STYLES MAKES THE FIGHT", for those of u who are fight fans...

Well the saying does go, A good big man, beats a good small man.
Here's wishing you great hoops

...I wonder if they won the Open, if they might get that elusive invitation to the Maxpreps National High School Invitational

Are you referring to what was the Dick's Sporting Goods National (now the Geico Nationals)?

If so, nope. the CIF (and many other state HS federations) doesn't allow it. If they did allow it, the CA Open champ would definitely go in most years.

Only some 8 or 9 state HS federations allow their teams to go there; typically 6 or 7 of the teams in the bracket are prep teams (like Oak Hill, Findlay Prep, La Lumiere, etc) that aren't part of their state federations. Prolific Prep is also in this group of teams, just haven't been quite good enough to make the tourney. Yet.

That is a terrific tournament loaded with D1 recruits, all games shown live on ESPN stations... I watch 'em all every year.

Any given Friday my friend. You never know who will try to do too much or fear the moment. I count the team with the most seniors and pick them.

Reactions: Lincoln240
Y'all sleeping on MC, they can beat any team in the north IMO, they're a legit 10 deep team with athleticism, shooting, size and good coaching. They have five guys with over 11 points a game, and four guys scoring in the 5-10 ppg range (which is solid in HS).

I honestly would take them over BOD in that second round match up, but it'll be close either way (assuming both win in the first).

Updates from down south

Fairfax over mater dei
Etiwanda over Westchester
Bishop Montgomery over mission bay
Sierra canyon over foothills christian

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT