ADVERTISEMENT

Out of State Tournaments?

TheHillZ

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2018
Increasingly, it seems, teams from the area head to distant lands to compete in top level tourneys. Last year, for example, Carondelet played in Hawaii.

Two questions:

1. Who pays for the trip? I know these are mostly (entirely?) private schools, but aren't these pricey boondoggles?
2. Are there rules about how many games a team can play or are such things outside the CIF's purview?

"Pricy boondoggles"?

Teams have been taking out-of-state trips for decades, and they range from partially subsidized by the event organizer to completely paid for by the team. They not only are fun -- a goal in and of itself -- but also are a great way to develop team chemistry.

The fun part involves playing teams from other areas that play different styles. Long ago, a Campo team went to Delaware and we were amazed at how physical the game was. And most states don't have shot clocks, so that's always an adjustment.

And it's fun to be on the road, especially for teams that don't have elite players, as other girls may not have traveled or stayed in hotels filled with other teams. The Nike TOC in Phoenix, for example, takes over a resort that would otherwise be empty before Christmas, and 90 or so teams stay there. There's a big mall nearby and the trip is a treat for a lot of girls that don't get on the road much.

For elite teams, the competition can be a test they can't get at home -- and in California, losses won't have the same impact on seeding if they are to out-of-state teams. And for Mitty and SMS and Folsom, these events are a ticket to a national ranking.

I always tried to take my teams on trips, even if they weren't very good. It was likely going to be a very good experience, and something the players would always remember.

Reactions: ankleassassin
Thanks. No doubt they are a great experience for the players. I'm glad they have them. I was just puzzled by the finances. 15-20 girls+coaches to Hawaii including flight/food/vans/hotels for 4-5 days? If there's a tourney sponsor defraying costs (e.g. Nike) that makes more sense.

Iolani is a Nike event, and pays a lot of the expenses. I believe they cover the hotels, some meals and transportation. You just have to get there.

Some events just send teams $2,500 to spend as they'd like.

It all depends. The better you are, the more you'll get -- which is just another example of the rich getting richer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT