ADVERTISEMENT

Folsom possibly being exiled from SFL

Do most people choose to ignore facts...the ngata brothers and kb moved to folsom from reno before freshman year..nobody knew who they were unril last year..folsom didnt recruit..the academics, the program, the community did but again freshman year...md sjb etc all have high profile transfers ..that cant and doesnt happen at public school...get facts straight

Wrong!! We knew about them before last year it was no longer a secret when sacbee did the article on them. Stop fooling yourself if you believe the community is bringing kids to folsom. We are fine with them getting good players from other places cause they NEED THEM but stop with the lies on this forum before the article bulldog tried his best to cover up the Reno kids if it wasn’t for the article we’d still get banned for saying folsom has kids from Reno and sac. Do you know how many people bulldog got banned over this subject?

Reactions: aztecpadre
Im sure he means ASB. Thats nothing new, all money (most schools) made goes in to a ASB acct for a school then divided up from there into the specialized fb, band, leadership, misc sports accts.... Maybe Band gets a cut but I would be shocked if they get most the % let alone 100%, my guess would they would be the only band in the Nation to get more the 20%.

Our band sells tacos and another program has some other kiosk. They get 100% of those kiosk's. Our ASB has 2 as well, I understand that our program gets $0 from any of the kiosk but we get almost all the gate money n snack bar as well. Once a year band or another program gets to bring a bunch of outside vendors (usually homecoming) they get all that profit as well, fb gets $0 or 0%.

Again, I have no idea what the split is at Folsom, just shedding some light on how the whole friday night money situation works for us. I understand that we have a pretty fair setup, some fb programs get very little gate and some get 100% from the whole night all though rare.

And this is why I said most people have it wrong...

I served 2 years as the accounting secretary for the FHSAB (had to step in as a replacement as previous officer moved out of town, typically a 3 year term) and it was as I described above. The FHSAB has a single 501c3 # that all of the $ goes under and is then distributed to the teams. They receive general donations and maintain separate accounts for all SPORTS (not band) and oversee the distribution of those funds under the non-profit #. Those funds pay for officials, equipment, coaching stipends and more. In addition, each athlete pays a transportation fee (a sperate fee for each sport the participate in) to the District. None of the $ from ticket sales goes back to sports.......unless something has changed since 2013?

Concessions goes back to the program running the stand. In that instance a portion of the $ goes to the food prep supervisor off the top (required by the health dept.) and the remaining proceeds are distributed based on the representative workers. When it gets to play-offs, ocassionally there aren't enough football parents to staff concessions and volunteers from basketball, soccer, wrestling, etc. will fill the open slots. When that happens, they split the proceeds equally based on the # of workers and $ made.

So if you go to a Folsom game, know that the t-shirt, water, 50/50, and hot dog MAY help fund the football team. But if you buy a ticket and sit in your seat, you haven't put a penny in to funding sports.

I served 2 years as the accounting secretary for the FHSAB (had to step in as a replacement as previous officer moved out of town, typically a 3 year term) and it was as I described above. The FHSAB has a single 501c3 # that all of the $ goes under and is then distributed to the teams. They receive general donations and maintain separate accounts for all SPORTS (not band) and oversee the distribution of those funds under the non-profit #. Those funds pay for officials, equipment, coaching stipends and more. In addition, each athlete pays a transportation fee (a sperate fee for each sport the participate in) to the District. None of the $ from ticket sales goes back to sports.......unless something has changed since 2013?

Concessions goes back to the program running the stand. In that instance a portion of the $ goes to the food prep supervisor off the top (required by the health dept.) and the remaining proceeds are distributed based on the representative workers. When it gets to play-offs, ocassionally there aren't enough football parents to staff concessions and volunteers from basketball, soccer, wrestling, etc. will fill the open slots. When that happens, they split the proceeds equally based on the # of workers and $ made.

So if you go to a Folsom game, know that the t-shirt, water, 50/50, and hot dog MAY help fund the football team. But if you buy a ticket and sit in your seat, you haven't put a penny in to funding sports.

This is definitely true in more places then Folsom. My best friend was a head coach for several years at a fairly new small public school and I remember him telling me once that they didn’t get a dime from ticket sales and only made money from concessions or what he could fundraise. And even then they still typically had to rely on the other schools in the district donating equipment to have enough pads for all his players.

Awood,
I am confused here. Does band get 100% of the money from the gate or not? That is all that I was really pointing 2. If band does get 100% of the gate then my qestion is why? That would be absolutely unheard of unless you have Under Armour, Adidas or Nike giving you a good size check and the people in charge at FHS decided to spread the wealth so to speak.

Awood,
I am confused here. Does band get 100% of the money from the gate or not? That is all that I was really pointing 2. If band does get 100% of the gate then my qestion is why? That would be absolutely unheard of unless you have Under Armour, Adidas or Nike giving you a good size check and the people in charge at FHS decided to spread the wealth so to speak.

As the $ never passed through FHSAB, I can't factually support it and am only repeating what I was told. I don't have the records to prove where the ticket $ goes. For all I know, it could be funding ISIS but I was told that $ goes straight to band. They have their own non-profit # and boosters organization, totally separate from athletics.

If you consider the costs of their travel, expenses and national success, plus the fact that includes marching band, color guard, orchestra, concert band, 3 levels of jazz band and 2 levels of jazz choir, it's easy to imagine that amount of $ being spent.

Reactions: mistark
It's not just about the " whining teams". It's about Folsom wanting to stay in a league where 99 % of their games since 2009 have been blowouts. What's the point.

This is clearly just a bunch of whining, but thank you for continuing to debate it.

You could say the same thing about their section championships - most have been blowouts. Is the solution to boot them out of the section? Their last two state games have been blowouts. Boot them out of state?

If the SFL is the top league in the SJS, then the top teams should be in the SFL. Period. If OR/GB/R don't think they can compete, then THEY should petition to drop down out of the SFL. Grant and DO are not saying the same thing. Neither is Whitney.

As football is competitive, it is up to the teams that getting their butts kicked to improve. I can remember not that long that OR was the dominant team in the foothills. Folsom didn't whine - they got better. There are life lessons here. Step up. Compete. Get better. This applies to businesses, football teams, school. Basically everything. The beatings will continue until these schools step up.

Last edited:
Perhaps it's just me, but this is just ridiculous to me. Who decides the splits over at Folsom? After reading how things work at Inderkum from @mistark and what I know of a few other schools, it sounds like Folsom's FB program is getting screwed.

If only the band were showing up on FRI nights, not many would attend. The football games are THE draw. Zero money going to that program doesn't make sense at all. They should be getting the largest share. W/O the football program, those other programs might not exist in the same capacity, if at all.

Each school is different in my experience. It is really up to the admin how things are split. The football revenue really depends on the booster club and the team's own fundraising. I have yet to see a football program that has a surplus. Most struggle to pay for new gear, transportation, coach's stipends, and all of the other things it takes to fund a program.

Football Gate pays for officials(all sports). I’m sure the school puts money back into the football program and others as well. I would venture to say Folsom makes 50k + in snack bar revenue as well.

I bet it is much less than $50K.

I will also say that it is very sad to see the empty stands at playoff games because the CIF student ticket policy. It leads to a really poor atmosphere.

As football is competitive, it is up to the teams that getting their butts kicked to improve. I can remember not that long that OR was the dominant team in the foothills. Folsom didn't whine - they got better. There are life lessons here. Step up. Compete. Get better. This applies to businesses, football teams, school. Basically everything. The beatings will continue until these schools step up.

Folsom, Grant, Oak Ridge, Granite Bay, and Del Oro have all pumped their chest at the competition and humiliated the competition. They deserve each other.

I could understand Rocklin complaining... Their resume is not as strong... They dont belong in the same conversation/league as this group.

Last edited:
Folsom, Grant, Oak Ridge, Granite Bay, and Del Oro have all pumped their chest at the competition and humiliated the competition. They deserve each other.

I could understand Rocklin complaining... Their resume is not as strong... They dont belong in the same conversation/league as this group.

Their resume isn’t as strong but who’s left that could take their place? Nevada union tried no other team has a resume to replace rocklin besides Elk Grove

No, the same should happen in North Sacramento, South Sacramento, Elk Grove, and Stockton.

Why not? Vista checks the same boxes as Folsom HS and is newer and in an even nicer, more expensive part of the same town. All they’re missing is the coaching staff to strike that match, right?

Or perhaps the magic formula is even more difficult and complicated than we all believe.

I have said this before and I will say it again- AT SOME POINT, Vista will be the school that everyone will be wanting to attend. I am not saying this will happen anytime soon, but IT WILL happen. They have the athletes within the school boundaries. It is one of the nicest schools I have ever seen, facilities wise. Up on the hill, overlooking beautiful Folsom Lake. It is a marvel! Plus the football stadium finally got the lights put in and is an awesome venue now!

The Vista football program doesn't get any coverage because of the big blue monster in town, but if you paid any attention, they have a decent program and have had some good succes at the D3 level in the SJS. I love to watch them play personally.

Just a matter of time!

Why not? Vista checks the same boxes as Folsom HS and is newer and in an even nicer, more expensive part of the same town. All they’re missing is the coaching staff to strike that match, right?

Or perhaps the magic formula is even more difficult and complicated than we all believe.

It is certainly possible. I'm not very familiar with Vista... Folsom High School has perfected their formula. Great coaching, good education, wonderful proximity, excellent youth program. They have maximized and perfected their formula. As we see with the success that they are having this year. This attracts kids
With the right coaching staff, a similar work could be done in Sac, Elk Grove and Stockton...

Folsom hired a professional coaching staff. You dont get no better than Troy Taylor! Coach Richardson continually has one of the best lines in California. These dudes are professionals. The program that they've built there is like nothing we've seen since Cordova. Especially at the D1 SJS level.

Grant has never perfected its formula... They had Harris and Garcia both on campus and sidelines. Al never handed the offense over to Garcia and Harris was good for the kids and the community. For five seasons, we saw more kids from Grant go to college than we ever seen before. A lot of that was attributed to Harris. Imagine a program ran by Harris and Garcia.... Kids from all over Sac would still be flocking to Grant...

Elk Grove is loaded with talent! You place a talented-top flight coaching staff in the Elk Grove USD, and you could field possibly the best team in SJS.

Stockton...St. Marys... There's crazy talent
running around Stockton. Especially with the Bay area Exodus...

Props to Capital Christian! I understand why Taylor left D.O. He now has access to talent he couldn't get at Loomis... In a few years, they will probably be a top program in Nor Cal!

Reactions: ThunderRam
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT