ADVERTISEMENT

PCAL Week #5

RLS13

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Nov 8, 2016
PCAL Week 5

The real deal starts this weekend as all 4 divisions begin league play. Last week Gabilan V Mission was as expected for the most part and no big surprises. The top 3 Salinas, Aptos and Palma all dominated their lower Mission opponent. Palma had the most impressive victory as they dismantled a very good Soquel team. Hollister struggled but was able to get by a very good Monterey team. The other 3 Gabilan teams all lost, but not a real surprise as there is not much difference between the top of the Mission and the bottom of the Gabilan. Salinas will be the favorite in the Gabilan and probably be ranked 2-3 in the CCS D I Playoffs.

The Mission did well going 3-4. Carmel’s victory over Alverez was the biggest surprise as they were able to hold on for the 15-14 win. After the pre-season games Scott’s valley looks to be the strongest followed closely by Monterey and Soquel. Carmel, MVC and Seaside could also make some noise, North Salinas still seems lost.

The Cypress dominated the Santa Lucia Division winning all 7 games by a 31-5 average. Only Greenfield V PG and Soledad V Gonzales were within 1 possession. After the preseason, undefeated Rancho San Juan and St. Francis look like the favorite to beat in the Cypress, but Soledad had a tougher schedules and will challenge them. The Santa Lucia is wide open. Marina has the best record, Greenfield the best Cal Preps ranking and RLS is just the best. I think Greenfield maybe the team to beat this year in that division, but all the game will be close and entertaining.

Last week 10-4 Overall 46-28

Gabilan

Fri 09/23 Salinas (CA) at Hollister (CA), 7:30pm -This maybe an all time great team for Salinas. Hollister has had better teams. Hollister will keep it close for the home fans early, then the Cowboy “machine” will take over. Salinas 35-14

Fri 09/23 Aptos (CA) at Santa Cruz (CA), 7:30pm- Last year this would have been a great matchup. Santa Cruz probably would of won. This year no so great. Aptos 48-7

Sat 09/24 Palma (Salinas, CA) vs Alvarez (Salinas, CA) at Salinas Sports Complex (Salinas, CA), 1:00pm – Palma had the most impressive victory over Soquel last week, while Alvarez suffered the most disappointing loss to Carmel. Palma 28-0

Mission

Thu 09/22 Monterey (CA) at Monte Vista Christian (Watsonville, CA), 7:30pm – After a slow start MVC has played really well the past 2 weeks. Monterey has a great defense, and a lot of speed on offense. This will be good game. Monterey 17-14

Fri 09/23 Carmel (CA) vs North Salinas (Salinas, CA) at Salinas Sports Complex (Salinas, CA), 7:30pm- Carmel found the endzone early then kid of went flat, but held on to beat Alvarez. North Salinas just has not found anything on offense. Carmel 28-7

Fri 09/23 Scotts Valley (CA) at Soquel (CA), 7:30pm- Good way to stat the season. Winner will have the inside track to the league title as these are the best 2 teams (IMO) in the division. SV defense is filthy, while Soquel is just consistent (until last week). Going with the Defense. Scott’s Valley 21-7

Cypress

Thu 09/22 St. Francis (Watsonville, CA) at Watsonville (CA), 7:30pm – St. Francis has looked very good going 4-0 in the preseason. Watsonville not so much. St. Francis 35-14

Fri 09/23 Soledad (CA) at North Monterey County (Castroville, CA), 7:30pm – NMC has not look good except vs Harbor, Soledad has won 3 in a row after a close loss to Soquel. Soledad 27-6

Fri 09/23 Rancho San Juan (Salinas, CA) at Pacific Grove (CA), 7:30pm - This will be Rancho’s toughest opponent to date. I am curious to see if they can keep their blowout streak going (wining by 31 per game). It would not bother me if they beat PG by 100. PG keeps it closer than 31. Rancho 24-21

Santa Lucia

Fri 09/23 Harbor (Santa Cruz, CA) at Gonzales (CA), 7:30pm- Harbor has the better record, but Gonzales a much tougher schedule. Gonzales 28-21

Sat 09/24 San Lorenzo Valley (Felton, CA) at Pajaro Valley (Watsonville, CA), 12:30pm – Battle of 2 teams that have not played that well this year. Somebody has to win, so I will choose SLV 3-2

Sat 09/24 Marina (CA) at Stevenson (Pebble Beach, CA), 2:00pm Marina has been a great story, but they are not going to get pummeled for the second week in a row. RLS 35-7

RLS13- You do a nice job of breaking down the PCAL games. However, its almost comical how much damage the Breakers must have inflicted on your Pirates with your snarky comments.

• Haha
Reactions: RLS13
RLS13- You do a nice job of breaking down the PCAL games. However, its almost comical how much damage the Breakers must have inflicted on your Pirates with your snarky comments.
Yes prep, there is some psychological scaring from getting run over by Ronnie Scott (PG Class of 1990) or bowled over by Eric Mahlum (PG '89, 4 year NFL OL).

But most of the disdain comes from being in a family of Padres. My mother and older brother were Carmel Padres, so I was taught at young age of the "evils" of PG. In addition all 3 of my children matriculated through Carmel high. And like like any good parent, I try to fulfill my dreams through the lives my children. I am proud to say my boys were 6-0 in Shoe games!!!

It goes with out saying my "snarky" comments about PG are all in good fun. For only having 600+ kids, they had a nice run in football for a lot of years. It was always fun when the "Shoe" game decided the MTAL title.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT