ADVERTISEMENT

PCAL Week 8

RLS13

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Nov 8, 2016
PCAL Week 8

Congratulations to the St. Francis Sharks! First PCAL team (and first CCS?) team to clinch a post season birth. They should be placed in the DV tournament and will be a tough out. Salinas continues to be the team to beat in the Gabilan and can basically secure a tie for the championship if Palma were to lose at Hollister this week.

I watched Santa Cruz beat up Carmel this past weekend. There is a huge gap between the Cardinals and the rest of the league. If they had done re-alignments this past season, I suspect the Santa Cruz would have been put in the Gabilan. They belong there for this year. They will probably be placed in the DII bracket and I will be excited to see how they do. It is unfortunate that they really had no pre-season or good league competition.

It looks like the Cypress will come down to King City V Scott’s Valley next week. @Streakone you should consider that for a pick-em game. Both teams have strong defenses.

Wanted to give a shout out to Rancho San Juan who has now won 2 Games on the year. Already a great year for this new program that was completely overmatch last spring when they were “forced” to play in the Salinas City league. This is truly their first varsity team and they are competitive, and now have a 2-game winning streak.

Last week 12-2 Overall 76-21

Gabilan

Thu 10/14 Alisal (Salinas, CA) at Aptos (CA), 7:30pm: Both teams love to run the ball, so this game could be over by 8:45. Aptos just runs a little faster. Aptos 35-14

Thu 10/14 Seaside (CA) at Monte Vista Christian (Watsonville, CA), 7:30pm: This is probably Seaside’s last best chance to get a win this year. Spartans will keep in close but MVC is just a little better. MVC 24-20

Fri 10/15 Salinas (CA) at Christopher (Gilroy, CA), 7:30pm: The good news is because Christopher plays in a 9 team A league they should have more than enough Bonus points to earn an at large bid. Bad news is that Salinas is really good. Salinas 38-14

Fri 10/15 Palma (Salinas, CA) at San Benito (Hollister, CA), 7:30pm: Game of the week in the PCAL! Recently Salinas seems to have become Palma’s rival, but for the past 30+ years Palma v Hollister has been the true rivalry game going back to their days in MTAL. Yes, Palma and Hollister used to play Carmel, PG, RLS Gonzales and King City in football, every year. These 2 teams are evenly matched, and I expect a close game. I like Hollister’s Defense just a little bit better than Palma’s. Hollister 24-23

Mission

Fri 10/15 North Salinas (Salinas, CA) vs Carmel (CA) at Salinas Sports Complex (Salinas, CA), 7:30pm- Carmel must win if it wants any chance to make the playoffs, the same could be said about North Salinas. Lose this game and probably out of the playoff race. Carmel 31-24

Fri 10/15 Soledad (CA) at Soquel (CA), 7:30pm: One of the biggest surprised this year has been the play of Soquel. Whether its Gonzales, Gilroy, or Monterey the just win close game by like 4 points. Soquel 18-14.

Sat 10/16 Santa Cruz (CA) at Gonzales (CA), 7:30pm: Top of this Mission meets bottom of the Mission. Cal preps has it 62-0. Won’t be that bad, unless SC wants it to be. Santa Cruz 54-7

Sat 10/16 Gilroy (CA) at Monterey (CA), 2:00pm: If there is no fog, an Afternoon Game at Monterey High School may be one of the most scenic venues in the whole country. From the old cement bleachers you have an unobstructed view of Monterey bay. (I digress). Like the NS V Carmel game, loser takes a big hit in the playoff picture. Monterey 21-17

Cypress

Fri 10/15 North Monterey County (Castroville, CA) at King City (CA), 7:30pm: KC just needs to stay focused and not look past NMC towards next weeks big showdown. NMC needs a MASH unit, unfortunate with the injuries. KC 21-7

Fri 10/15 San Lorenzo Valley (Felton, CA) at Pacific Grove (CA), 7:00pm: SLV has probably been the biggest disappointment this year in the PCAL. Maybe they still have a COVID hangover? I don’t like picking PG, but SLV’s play leaves me know choice. PG 28-17

Sat 10/16 Scotts Valley (CA) at Rancho San Juan (Salinas, CA), 1:00pm: Rancho’s 2 game winning streak will probably stop here. SV defense is just too strong. Scott’s Valley 24-0

Santa Lucia

Fri 10/15 Harbor (Santa Cruz, CA) at Greenfield (CA), 7:30pm; This should be an evenly matched game between 2 programs trying to get back on track. Taking the Home team Bruins. Greenfield 35-30

Sat 10/16 Pajaro Valley (Watsonville, CA) at Stevenson (Pebble Beach, CA), 2:00pm: These 2 teams played 3 weeks ago, so this is technically a non-league game. Pajaro will be looking for revenge, RLS looking to continue to improve and build momentum. Not picking against my beloved Pirates. RLS 38-20

I haven’t been monitoring the Californian or Herald for this, but can Salinas tie anyone for a league title? If Palma and Aptos win out, they will have 1 loss like Salinas, but they will also have 1 more win.

Since Hollister can't grow the grass long and water it down on their new field, I think Palma wins it and could be convincingly. Palma defense is pretty good, they always have trouble against Aptos and that game should have been won by Palma less the terrible ref calls. Worst I've seen. Hollister defense is pretty good. Palma is loaded with skill players and can pass and run and will keep Hollister honest. O-line sophs are now more experienced and Palma QB much better this year at finding WRs when under pressure and using his legs more. Turnovers may have a play. 35-14 Palma.

Reactions: RLS13
I haven’t been monitoring the Californian or Herald for this, but can Salinas tie anyone for a league title? If Palma and Aptos win out, they will have 1 loss like Salinas, but they will also have 1 more win.
Cal 14 Great point, I forgot Salinas has one less league game. Salinas controls it own destiny by winning out. But if Palma and Aptos both win out, hypothetically, then there could be multiple 1 loss teams. Aptos and Palma at 7-1 and Salinas at 6-1. Aptos would win based on head to head with Palma, Salinas 3rd because of the Covid Cancelation.

I was thinking if Palma loses to Hollister for a 2nd league loss, the worst Salinas could do was tie with Aptos or Hollister and hold either tie breaker. I forgot the lack of the game (victory) would knock Salinas out of any tie.

COVID SUCKS......

Since Hollister can't grow the grass long and water it down on their new field, I think Palma wins it and could be convincingly. Palma defense is pretty good, they always have trouble against Aptos and that game should have been won by Palma less the terrible ref calls. Worst I've seen. Hollister defense is pretty good. Palma is loaded with skill players and can pass and run and will keep Hollister honest. O-line sophs are now more experienced and Palma QB much better this year at finding WRs when under pressure and using his legs more. Turnovers may have a play. 35-14 Palma.
Norcal you maybe right, but this Hollister team is not like those big slow teams that would physically beat you up. This team held Salinas to 17 point, yes the cowboys were missing some key people and had a lack of practice, but still a pretty impressive feat.

The grass quote is great, the Chicago Cubs used to do the same thing in the early to mid 80's when they had Ron Cey and Larry Bowa finishing out their careers on the left side if the infield.

If they share league title they would share playoff bonus I believe. Would be co-champs. Not sure about Salinas having a game less. Did they reschedule a game for their bye week yet?

Norcal you maybe right, but this Hollister team is not like those big slow teams that would physically beat you up. This team held Salinas to 17 point, yes the cowboys were missing some key people and had a lack of practice, but still a pretty impressive feat.

The grass quote is great, the Chicago Cubs used to do the same thing in the early to mid 80's when they had Ron Cey and Larry Bowa finishing out their careers on the left side if the infield.
I wouldn't put much credence in the score of the Salinas-Hollister game. Mostly, it was a matter of all of the stars being aligned for the Haybalers and they still couldn't get it done.

Hollister's D is fine, but their offense isn't really that great. I think Palma rolls comfortably here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT