ADVERTISEMENT

Pinewood makes Sweet 16 finals

Pinewood won the tournament over LJCD. Hannah Jump was the tournament MVP

We'll find out how good Aptos is ... they're coming off a very good season with a lot of returners, but need this kind of test.

Will they be CCS Open this year?

So PW is not challenged at that tournament either....what a waste of time with the WCJ
Right across the bay....

What other tournament weren't they challenged at? The Sweet 16? What other tournament are they supposed to play at that time of year? Two of the top teams in Colorado, LJCD might be the best team in SoCal ...

Then again, you are predictable: Your calendar says it's time to bash Doc and Sue and the other successful coaches.

Reactions: 5MatchUp
Open seems like a bit of a stretch this year we should know where they stack up when they play Presentation at their place on Friday and if they can get past Paly again in SF tourney and play SF.

They played good vs Paly but Paly lost a lot last year.

CCS Open will need one or two public schools to fill out the bracket which, as always, will be dominated by West Bay private/parochial powers. One of the outstanding Kailahi sisters, senior Stella, should be available for Menlo-Atherton in January, making the Bears a potential Open participant. If Aptos runs rampant through January and into February, it's likely they too will get strong consideration for the Open. To be brutally frank, there are very few public schools that can challenge the private/parochials in a typical CCS season. After all, no CCS public school has won a state title since 1988. But, who knows, maybe 2018 will provide a surprise.

Right now, as many as five WCAL teams, along with Pinewood, seem likely to be Open selectees. The remaining question will be: Who will fill those last two slots? And it might wind up being only one slot when all is said and done. CCS female hoops, for all practical purposes, has become the exclusive preserve of the private/parochials. Teams like Eastside Prep and Menlo School could conceivably make the CCS Open as well, shutting out the publics entirely. If you are a fan of the CCS publics, the pickings have been mighty slim for a very long time.

Open seems like a bit of a stretch this year we should know where they stack up when they play Presentation at their place on Friday and if they can get past Paly again in SF tourney and play SF.

They played good vs Paly but Paly lost a lot last year.

St. Francis is very good this year. Well-coached. Athletic. Quick. Some depth. Strong defensively. Excellent shooters.

St. Francis is very good this year. Well-coached. Athletic. Quick. Some depth. Strong defensively. Excellent shooters.
Very good?? Have you seen them play this year against quality competition??

And on the ccs/wcal topic... if presentation learned anything from their volleyball team, why not go 0-10 in league play (again), win d2 ccs (again), and be the top seed in d4 norcal and win a state title this year!

Very good?? Have you seen them play this year against quality competition??

And on the ccs/wcal topic... if presentation learned anything from their volleyball team, why not go 0-10 in league play (again), win d2 ccs (again), and be the top seed in d4 norcal and win a state title this year!

It's the eyeball test. They look like they should be in the CCS group just below Mitty and Pinewood in the section's small hierarchy. Their performance vs. a good Lincoln-SF team last week was dominating and impressive. Really like their personnel and approach. By the way, I know no one at SF, have no axe to grind and could not care less about how they wind up. I just saw what I saw. That's all.

It's the eyeball test. They look like they should be in the CCS group just below Mitty and Pinewood in the section's small hierarchy. Their performance vs. a good Lincoln-SF team last week was dominating and impressive. Really like their personnel and approach. By the way, I know no one at SF, have no axe to grind and could not care less about how they wind up. I just saw what I saw. That's all.
I wasn't trying to be critical and I can see why it came off like that.. I just wasn't sure if Lincoln/Lowell/Sequioa were quality opponents as I know very little about those teams. If you saw them play then I would trust your eyes more than what I've seen this year lol. That said, I really like their lefty big Grizelj and their pg Uyehara. I wouldn't be surprised to see both make All-Wcal teams this year.

I wasn't trying to be critical and I can see why it came off like that.. I just wasn't sure if Lincoln/Lowell/Sequioa were quality opponents as I know very little about those teams. If you saw them play then I would trust your eyes more than what I've seen this year lol. That said, I really like their lefty big Grizelj and their pg Uyehara. I wouldn't be surprised to see both make All-Wcal teams this year.

Faust is terrific too. And Delfino's defensive abilities are outstanding. By the way, Lincoln is the defending AAA champion and, if the Lions were a CCS school, they would be right at the top of strong public school outfits along with Aptos and M-A. They have a 6-2 center, two good wings and a dynamite little lefty point guard (Delfino face-guarded her most of the night and did an exemplary job on her and kept her under control). SF had a 20-point lead, slowed the game down in the fourth quarter and coasted home with a W. Excellent overall performance.

Do you think they are good enough to finish in the top 3 of the WCAL?

Great question. We know about Mitty. That's a given. VC and SHC are good. SHC will be better when transfers become eligible. So is SF better than either of those second-tier WCAL teams? Not sure today. But I have to believe SF will be close to them. One worry: SF does not have a true backup post. They may go relatively small more than they would like. So can't answer your question with any degree of certainty. Yet. Maybe on Jan. 1.

Reactions: OnBall8
Do you think they are good enough to finish in the top 3 of the WCAL?
I think their success in the WCAL will depend on how well they respond to the new coach. I think third place is their ceiling, and they could easily settle into the five slot behind SI. I'm betting they do pretty well and will challenge for third. I also think a tougher non-league schedule would have been better preparation for the WCAL grind.

Going back to Pinewood for a minute. They are so good at always being the right spots on both ends of the floor. The right players are usually initiating the offense, players know where their girl is on defense, etc. Just off of one game, but I don't think they have as many knock down shooters but added size will keep them in the upper echelon.

Here is a replay of the championship game vs. LJCD -

For the WCAL after Mitty, I think it is wide open between SHC, SI, Valley Christian and St. Francis. All have the potential to rise atop this second tier. Going to be a lot of jockeying during league play

Going back to Pinewood for a minute. They are so good at always being the right spots on both ends of the floor. The right players are usually initiating the offense, players know where their girl is on defense, etc. Just off of one game, but I don't think they have as many knock down shooters but added size will keep them in the upper echelon.

Here is a replay of the championship game vs. LJCD -

It appears that LJD super soph guard Paopao didn't play in this game.
She is definitely a difference maker

That definitely makes a difference ... she's an elite player.

Like the part on the article where she run Puke Hill to the point where she is crying from exhaustion.... I will take that any day from my clients....

Mix tape... kiiller crossover

That definitely makes a difference ... she's an elite player.
all due respect to Ortiz at Mitty. Paopao is by far the best playmaker, scorer off the dribble and floor leader in the state. if she plays in the Pinewood game I truly believe LJD would have won the game. Once again assuming she is healthy.

The highlights don't do justice to all that Paopao does on both ends of the floor. Kid is the absolute truth. Fun to watch.

The highlights don't do justice to all that Paopao does on both ends of the floor. Kid is the absolute truth. Fun to watch.
I agree.. that highlight video seems to be from like 2 games.. you don't see half of what she can actually do

About the injury
.....the article says before the season last year she tore her ACL on her right knee....
Question....this new ACL surgery????
On the left knee or another surgery on the right

CWE.....now I understand your post ....when you said "other one" you must have been saying....other knee... correct????

What other tournament weren't they challenged at? The Sweet 16? What other tournament are they supposed to play at that time of year? Two of the top teams in Colorado, LJCD might be the best team in SoCal ...

Then again, you are predictable: Your calendar says it's time to bash Doc and Sue and the other successful coaches.
Please don't feed the monkey.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT