ADVERTISEMENT

Pleasant Valley - Chico Schedule Improvement Question

FBAddict

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2002
I was reviewing various schedules for 2016 and noticed a huge upgrade of Pleasant Valley - Chico's schedule. I don't see that they have ventured out of the Northern Section except for a home/away series with Eureka a few years back. And that series could hardly be counted as any sort of upgrade during those years. So what has changed at Pleasant Valley?

I suspect PV wants to challenge at the state level with what seems to be a stronger team this year. They are adding Del Oro (wow, what a challenge), Valley Christian-San Jose and Napa to their 2016 schedule. This significant improvement of schedule tells me they are very serious about their program and it says something about their hopes for challenging at the next level.

Maybe the 2015 regional game loss to St. Francis - Mountain View provided a wake up call to Coach Cooley and his group of student athletes, many of whom are returning this year. They plowed through their pre-season and league with only minimal challenge and cut through their sectional playoffs like a hot knife through butter. Even the Aaron Roger team years didn't have quite the run as this team. But on that fateful cool December night, Pleasant Valley hit a brick wall in Oroville. PV's lone touchdown came in the latter part of the 3rd quarter against a WCAL team that gained an early lead and never looked back.

That is a tremendous preseason schedule for the Vikings, no doubt. I think they got the same taste Enterprise did a few years back when they beefed up their schedule.

Is Coach Cooley the same guy who was a Butte College assistant 10-12 years ago? Also it looks like the have at least 3 D1 players this year with some good size. Could be that bubble of talent were they feel like they can compete with anybody in NorCal... I love the initiative to go out and schedule the best!

I was reviewing various schedules for 2016 and noticed a huge upgrade of Pleasant Valley - Chico's schedule. I don't see that they have ventured out of the Northern Section except for a home/away series with Eureka a few years back. And that series could hardly be counted as any sort of upgrade during those years. So what has changed at Pleasant Valley?

I wrote in a different post a couple of weeks ago that this senior class has really high expectations. They are undefeated in league play over the past four years and last year got a taste of "playing up" against SF. I think this will be a one year venture since this is the most promising class they've had in the last 10-15 years.

Nice upgrade by PV forsure, as another poster pointed out much like the big jump in schedule for Enterprise a few years back. Groups like this do not come around that often in the NS. I like challenging yourself but I hope they didn't bite off a little too much. They are a very good group the size and strength of line and linebackers is impressive for this level but the one thing I think they are lacking is some game breakers, we will see tho I am pulling for them always had a lot of respect for that program.

Not sure if Cooley was at Butte, but he was the head coach at Hamilton when they went to the state bowl games.

Good call on the PV/Enterprise comparison in upping their schedules. Your eyes get open good and bad when you start playing on the NorCal and state stage.

Excellent schedule. All non-league games will be a huge test. Maybe top SJS team with DelOro. Napa is typically very tough. Will be interesting match-up with VC. Both teams look like they have some big kids in the trenches.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT