ADVERTISEMENT

Preseason Is over!!!!!!!!!!!

ballersdreams

Sports Fanatic
Jan 7, 2014
Can anyone give any thought about the ranking now that we are close to mid-season now?????? Which teams are making big moves in the rankings and which teams are fading away?????????? Which teams will end up in the Open this year?????

Top 6 are very clear:

1. SMS (deepest, most talented team in NorCal. They play the best and keep winning)
2. SI (strong line up, with lots of college talent)
3. Miramonte (best player in NorCal and excellent coaching strategists)
4. Carondelet (can't argue with several quality wins- Mission Hills, Bishop Monague, Sac and Berkeley. Very well coached)
5. Pinewood (not one, but two D1 guards)
6. SMB (Mosely can do it all)

After that It's a wild guess for me.

1) SMS (9-1)
2) SI (9-1)
3) MM (9-1)
4) Pinewood (6-2)
5) SMB (7-2)
6) Mitty (8-2)
7) Brookside (12-1)
8) Carondelet (9-1)
9) Eastside prep (10-2)
10) Vanden (9-2)
11) Berkeley ((7-5)
12) Oak Ridge (11-3)
13) Antelope (10-1)
14) Salesian (10-2)
15) James Logan (9-3)
16) Dublin (12-1)
17) Modesto Christian (8-3)
18) Presentation (6-4)
19) Valley Christian (Dublin)(9-1)
20) Lincoln (Stockton) (8-1)
This post was edited on 1/4 9:53 PM by ballersdreams

The head and the heart...

Except on a pure emotional basis, it's difficult to justify Carondelet ranked below both Mitty and SMB.

Take a look at common opponents: Carondelet beats Mission Hills, and Mission Hills beats Mitty. Carondelet easily beats Bishop Monague, and BM beats SMB.

As I start the new year with a renewed sense of positivity, I will say that it is admirable of BD to be loyal to those he cares about.

I see what you are saying but SMB lost only to 2 to MM, 1 Mark Keppel and 1 to BM very good teams. Mitty lost to Missoin Hills early in the season but turn it around now. Head to Head different is SMB and Mitty would beat Carondelet but I understand the loyalty to your team but it sounds good but I don't they could beat either. But that's my opinion!!!!!!
This post was edited on 1/4 10:22 PM by ballersdreams

Brick layer....

I like your top 6...and I'm even ok with the order......I would add Brookside Christian to make it a no brainer top7.

Take a look at BC schedule on max preps.....I honestly don't see them losing another regular season game this yr...

and when the SJS D4 section rolls around...I don't see anybody that can beat them in sections either.

On another link NorCalscout thought they were an open team...I would have to agree.....

I think they are a lock for open, barring anything unfortunate.....knock on wood.....

This post was edited on 1/4 10:52 PM by northbaybbguru

I'll repost from other post, and go a little deeper

1. SMS - best team, deepest team, most talented team.
2. SI - biggest,most cohesive team, great chemistry, tough.
3. Miramonte - best player, most dedicated system. Good wins under belt.
4. Carondelet - new look, new vibe. Good TEAM. Versatile, all parts moving very well together.
5. Pinewood - good system good coach, really like Bade as a player.
6. SMB - still finding way but having Mosley is a luxury for them. Got some young kids also.
7. Mitty - good crop of kids for Sue. Work well together seem all bought in.
8. Brookside Christian - might be best lead guard in NorCal with McDonald. Gabriel is also very tough and versatile.
9. Salesian - guard oriented, scrappy, tough team play hard for whole game.
10. Vanden - explosive guard and wing play, tough team will improve.
11. Sacred Heart Catherdal - well rounded team, size, and guard play will make run for WCAL title
12. Eastside Prep - I don't how they do it. Just tough tough tough kids. Graham can be special.
13. Lincoln - youth and energy . Tough young squad
14. Berkeley - JWC runs the youngins, tough kids play hard.
15. BOD - will round out as season comes along took lumps early but who really wants to play them in February???
16. McClatchy - seasoned group will get better as team gets players back.
17. Antelope - well coached team, making a splash in area
18. Modesto Christian - hard nosed tough kids, will be there end of the year
19. Sacramento - will round out as season gets going, count on their big three to produce
20. Del Oro - well coached team. Disciplined and tough

Very deliberate, thoughtful ranking from NinoBrown. Seems to be on the mark to me.

Question: how many teams go to Open? Top 8?

I wont count out BOD, McClatchy, or SHC at the end of the year either but I was ranking for right now and not what I think the end of year will look like. BOD will be better after taking a lot of lumps in Dec but will get to play in their division not the open this year for Norcal. McClatchy is hurting with Lee missing but will be health and make to make a run. They are very dangerous when Lee gets back and Garcia get to move back to power forward position. SHC will make a run too when they come together in the end. But my rankings is about now not then!!!!!!!!!!

ballersdream... how does Pres make your top 20?? just having a hard time seeing that as they lost to teams like branham and peidmont hills... and have apparently lost their best player who quit...

OnBall8 the last 3 are questionable because after 17 right now is a coin toss for a lot of teams but that's my opinion for right now.

Ok you talked me into it but only 8 teams.

1. St. Mary's Stockton 10-1

2. Carondelet Concord 9-1

3. Archbishop Mitty San Jose 8-2

4. Dublin 12-1

5. St. Ignatius San Francisco 10-1

6. Miramonte Orinda 11-1

7. Brookside Christian Stockton 12-1

8. Pinewood School Los Altos Hills 6-2 (2 big games vs. Eastside College Prep) who ever wins both is 8th best. If they split, I'll take Salesian for 8th.
Eastside College Prep
Salesian

We are probably very close to the dream first round match up...
Brookside vs SMS ...let's play in the Stockton arena...
I think we could get a good 5,000 in the place

On the downside...
Norcal sacrifices a D4 and D5 state championship....

Hi Kookie..

a couple of thoughts. about your 8 teams..

1) Dublin is not an open team...I don't think they qualify anyhow...per NCS rules......they could petition to be called up if they put together a stellar record I guess ...but honestly they are not an open level team (talent wise)...and I think their coaches would agree with me.

2) I personally don't think Salesian is an open team either UNLESS they were to win the D4 NCS championship...then maybe....anything less than the championship then its a no in my opinion.

You forgot SMB in your top 8....I think they are the most likely NCS open qualifier from D4.....

You also forgot Vanden....I think they are a legit open possibility..

So...take Dublin out......add Vanden and SMB...and now you have 11 teams for 8 open spots....

just adding my 2 cents!! ;-)

This post was edited on 1/9 1:22 AM by northbaybbguru

Hey Northbayyguru,

Bradshaw Christian only lost to SMB by 6 pts, so I am rooting for them to win D4. lol
Salesian and SMB play a couple times, they will be battle tested. Both teams went last to Open.
I'll take my chances with current list. IMO, my list is good because these teams are all winning now. If Dublin is out, let's move everyone up and Insert Modesto Christian. Only one team will win anyway. No one wants to be teams 2-8.

1. St. Mary's Stockton

2. Carondelet

3. Archbishop Mitty

4. St. Ignatius

5. Miramonte

6. Brookside Christian

7. Pinewood

8. Modesto Christian

This post was edited on 1/9 7:30 AM by kookiebean

Just for the record Dublin will get a good test tonight from Acalanes. Acalanes is a confident and dangerous team who is riding under the radar. Any thoughts about that game?

I would suspect Dublin will win that game fairly easily as they have a significant athletic advantage -- and size, I think, as well.

But Chad Wellon has done a very nice job at Acalanes (my alma mater), so you never know. Plus Campo transfer BrookPanfili just became eligible and that could make a difference too.

Clay, I actually think they matchup pretty well against Dublin. While I agree that Dublin is the clear favorites they should not overlook Acalanes or take them too lightly. And sure Moses and Dublin's post player Carrington will give Dublin a clear athletic advantage, but Acalanes will counter with some physical play. And as always if you let a team hang around they can pull off the upset. How tight the refs call it may make a huge difference in the game's outcome. If they call it tight... Acalanes is in for a long night trying to match Dublin's speed,experience, and athleticism.

St. Ignatius vs Mitty may be interesting too? Obviously St. Ignatius are the favorites. But two well coached teams with a bit of tradition can always exceed expectations. Any thoughts on that one?

That's pretty funny LOL….. As time passes by you will all learn I don't bet with my heart. I am just a fan in that game with no selfish interest in mind. I think we can all agree from watching the NFL sometimes the surest shots don't pan out.It's games like this one that coaches and players on the favorite team need to pay close attention to detail. It is better to be prepared and not need it than….. I am still getting my feet wet in the high school girls game. But lets see how the next few weeks pan out for all. I think the few hunches I have may be verified.

But honestly, I don't know many of the teams or coaches at this point. Oh and I forgot Dublin does have a few more quick and athletic players than just Moses and Carrington. I can think of two more off hand. I have not seen Dublin or Acalanes play this year, but they both appear to be playing well.

This post was edited on 1/9 11:00 AM by Paytc

kookiebean I would have to agree some what ate the end of the year

1) SMS
2) SI
3) MM
4) PINEWOOD
5) CARONDELET
6) MITTY
7) VANDEN
8) BROOKSIDE

OUTSIDE CHANCE
McClatchy if Lee is health and has to have a good playoff run
Modesto Christian
SMB
SALESIAN

This post was edited on 1/9 12:30 PM by ballersdreams

This post was edited on 1/9 2:02 PM by ballersdreams

I like this list:

"1) SMS
2) SI
3) MM
4) PINEWOOD
5) CARONDELET
6) MITTY
7) VANDEN
8) BROOKSIDE

OUTSIDE CHANCE
McClatchy if Lee is health and has to have a good playoff run
Modesto Christian
SMB
SALESIAN"

Another team to consider is Bishop O'Dowd. It's possible they will run the table, and if Thomas comes back, the section commissioners will have a very interesting decision to make if O'Dowd beats Miramonte in NCS D3.

And what if Eastside Prep knocks off Pinewood? I'm thinking neither would go to the Open, which would trickle down and impact teams like Valley Christian in D5.

Same in D3 and D4, as if one strong team goes up, it changes the equation for everyone else; and if two go up (as is likely in D2), NorCals are wide open.

Clay,

I guess you were right. Perhaps Dublin saw my post and was prepared to not overlook Acalanes? I unofficially heard they won by the 20 point range but didn't get the exact score. Dublin has the athletes and the experience advantage, but it sounds like the coaching may be up to par too? As I said, I am still getting up to speed on player,team, and coaching talent in High school girls hoops. I look forward to seeing this years Dublin team and many others play in person. Of course I plan to be at your Corner Bakery/Campolindo shootout.

This post was edited on 1/10 10:51 AM by Paytc

1. SM Stockton
2. Carondelet
3. SI
4. Mitty
5. Miramonte
6. Pinewood
7. SM Berkeley
8. Brookside

9-10 Bishop O'Dowd , Sacred Heart or Salesian

Nor Cal Scout is see what you are saying because SMB beat Vanden earlier in the year. But I don't think SHC will be there they just lost to St. France last night. Salesian and SMB play each other twice this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT