ADVERTISEMENT

Rancho Cotate @ Cardinal Newman

slick58

Hall of Famer
Jun 10, 2005
5-0 Rancho Cotate vs 3-1 Cardinal Newman. Newman’s only blemish at the hands of a supposed powerhouse so no shame there. Wish it were later in the year for the build-up but no time like the present. Plus Rancho gets Newman the week after facing young lions and no way the human body can heal that fast from such a rigorous bout.

28-27 Rancho

I jumped the gun. Rancho has a bye this week. There goes my after powerhouse theory. I’ll keep this on ice for another week.

Will be interesting to have this game at the beginning of league play.

Will be interesting to have this game at the beginning of league play.

I think this may be the title game. Stranger things have happened but it’s a four game sprint after this one. I don’t see the winner losing a league game.

Slick, Newman has Galena, NV this week. Should be a good rebound game for them as they get ready for the big Rancho game. Rancho and Newman won't be challenged by anybody else in league. I expect nothing else but a great game between these 2. I'm sure Rancho is playing with some extra motivation after last year.
I think we will see a little less scoring. Newman D has been better this year than in previous.

Reactions: slick58
I see they have Galena. Wish they could of lined up Damonte this season. That would have been interesting but it’s cool to see them schedule schools from out of state. I wonder if they’re traveling next season or if these were 1 year deals? With 5 non league games that’s a lot of work to fill open spots but can see how they may be able to sell a game or two a season to teams out of the area. “Come visit beautiful wine country and allow us the opportunity to curb stomp your sons while you’re here”

On one hand im glad Rancho has a bye before Newman and on the other hand I hope they don’t lose the momentum they have going with a week off.

I see that the Newman defense is no joke. The Rancho offense is pretty good. It’s a balanced attack, maybe leaning on the run more than years past but they can still throw it. It should be a good one. As long as the officials aren’t calling unsportsmanlike conduct calls for attempting to run out the clock all should be good!

Last edited:
Reactions: MC415 and pryce57
CN and Rancho are clearly the 2 best teams....the rest of the league aren't very good...no one in the NBL will be within 30 pts of either team.

Its ridiculous that this is game #1 of league.
This should have been placed last week of season in front of a packed house at Rancho.

As usual the NBL commissioner office has their heads up their a$$

Agreed. Rancho and Newman (I would say Marin Catholic also) are the premier football programs north of the golden gate year in and out. Some years Analy has had some sound programs but these 2 from the NBL are cream of crop.

Can't believe its the first game. Terrible. I would say Rancho has caught some people off guard a little. I know they lost some key players (QB for one) but they appear to not have lost a step. Should be a great game.
Slick, no celebrations... That was brutal.

Reactions: slick58
The difference in this game was coaching. You just won't get better prepared than Cronin, so you better be athletically superior. You could tell RC was ready for a battle with the wideouts, so in game adjustment was the read option. QB and RB gashed the defense with big run plays. QB took a big hit from #55 and bounced off him for another 20 yards, gave CN an emotional charge. Defensively CN was prepared to stop their RPO.

Reactions: slick58 and 1tunz1
The difference in this game was coaching. You just won't get better prepared than Cronin, so you better be athletically superior. You could tell RC was ready for a battle with the wideouts, so in game adjustment was the read option. QB and RB gashed the defense with big run plays. QB took a big hit from #55 and bounced off him for another 20 yards, gave CN an emotional charge. Defensively CN was prepared to stop their RPO.

I only saw the full Galena game for Newman and thought if Rancho could stop the two receivers they could win the game. I should have known they would switch up the attack. The running game just didn’t look as dominant as years past.

I have seen a few highlights of Newman’s kick return and thought they could possibly return one. I think that helped them set the tone.

Good win by Newman. They really put it on them. Lots of football left. I still think this Rancho team can make some noise in the playoffs.

Reactions: northbayfb
I only saw the full Galena game for Newman and thought if Rancho could stop the two receivers they could win the game. I should have known they would switch up the attack. The running game just didn’t look as dominant as years past.

I have seen a few highlights of Newman’s kick return and thought they could possibly return one. I think that helped them set the tone.

Good win by Newman. They really put it on them. Lots of football left. I still think this Rancho team can make some noise in the playoffs.
Definitely, think Rancho makes noise in playoffs. Rancho hasn't lost a game to a team not named Newman since November 2016 and this year they are in a different division.

With CAMPO sitting there as the #3 seed whoever gets the #1 seed between RC and BOD will have a big advantage.
Division 2 went from the most boring in 2017 to the most intriguing. Granada a sleeper and I can't believe we are not talking about Marin Catholic! They are getting uncharacteristic QB and WR play but I would never count them out.

Division 2 went from the most boring in 2017 to the most intriguing. Granada a sleeper and I can't believe we are not talking about Marin Catholic! They are getting uncharacteristic QB and WR play but I would never count them out.

I’m checking out some of the Antioch vs MC game right now. MC doesnt look as good as years past but they’re still a good looking football team.

I have to see if Granda has some film online when I get a chance. Interested to see what they look like.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT