ADVERTISEMENT

Riordan Defeats Berkeley for Crusader Classic Title

Two great semifinal games at the Forum tonight. In the first game - Riordan (Anthony Oropeza) hit a 3 at the buzzer to force OT and Jelani Clark scored the last four points in OT. James Chun shot the ball well tonight and was aggressive driving the ball to the hoop. Riordan showed some grit in coming back to win from 10 down or so but are still struggling to find their stride. I hope their transfer will be the missing piece but time will tell since he isn't eligible until January from what I've heard. On the HMB front - Ethan Menzies can flat out play and was the best player on the court IMHO.

The Berkeley vs Mission game was played at a much higher level as Berkeley got off to a quick start but Mission keeps on plugging away and fought back again and again. On the Mission side Ben Knight #15 was unbelievable as he was driving to the basket with impunity as he is clearly under 6'. McBride is also a force on the defensive with his length and timing to block and affect shots inside. Berkeley has two really nice pieces in PG Kyree Brown and wing Ben Baker. Kyree has a smooth handle enabling him to get to anywhere on the court he wants plus he's strong and can finish against the big boys inside and have a nice soft touch and range on his jumper. Ben Baker is an all around stud wing who had nice finishes inside with both hands.

I have Berkeley over Riordan by 15-20 points in the finals and I think that Mission will wear down and turnover the HMB guards big-time and will win easily in the third place game.

Last edited:
Reactions: jordan24
A competitive set of semis. Riordan ties it with a 3 at regulation; goes on to win. In the other semi, arguably one of the best early season games of any season. It was the "Ben Show", Ben Baker for Berkeley scores 32 while Ben Knight of Mission tallied 36. Not one zone set in the night cap. Berkeley's 7-0 run to end half was the base margin for remainder of game. Truly, two very good teams. I cant imagine Riordan being able to make a game of it. No way they will run with Yellow Jackets and hope to force perimeter game with a zone. AAA Championship Football game at 1. Will the four football players make it back for the 5:00 p.m. 3rd place game?

Berkeley a prohibited favorite for tomorrow's Final. Crusaders playing with "house money" tho. Hope it's a competitive game.

Reactions: meezymo
Two great semifinal games at the Forum tonight. In the first game - Riordan (Anthony Oropeza) hit a 3 at the buzzer to force OT and Jelani Clark scored the last four points in OT. James Chun shot the ball well tonight and was aggressive driving the ball to the hoop. Riordan showed some grit in coming back to win from 10 down or so but are still struggling to find their stride. I hope their transfer will be the missing piece but time will tell since he isn't eligible until January from what I've heard. On the HMB front - Ethan Menzies can flat out play and was the best player on the court IMHO.

The Berkeley vs Mission game was played at a much higher level as Berkeley got off to a quick start but Mission keeps on plugging away and fought back again and again. On the Mission side Ben Knight #15 was unbelievable as he was driving to the basket with impunity as he is clearly under 6'. McBride is also a force on the defensive with his length and timing to block and affect shots inside. Berkeley has two really nice pieces in PG Kyree Brown and wing Ben Baker. Kyree has a smooth handle enabling him to get to anywhere on the court he wants plus he's strong and can finish against the big boys inside and have a nice soft touch and range on his jumper. Ben Baker is an all around stud wing who had nice finishes inside with both hands.

I have Berkeley over Riordan by 15-20 points in the finals and I think that Mission will wear down and turnover the HMB guards big-time and will win easily in the third place game.
I agree with both games, but IMO, I think Mission is capable of a let down and the game will be close, possibly missing 3 key players (possibly due to football game), and playing a stable HMB team.

I agree with both games, but IMO, I think Mission is capable of a let down and the game will be close, possibly missing 3 key players (possibly due to football game), and playing a stable HMB team.

I don't know which Mission players also play football but the HMB guard play is questionable and I can't imagine them coping well with the relentless pressure and pace that Mission plays with. I do agree that the Mission football is the wild card that will keep it closer than it would otherwise be. Plus both teams will be disappointed they didn't win their semifinal game so there could be a bit of letdown.

Half Moon Bay by 11. Mission started with 8 players, one got hurt and another fouled out. 5 point lead at half for Cougars. Mission just didn't have enough energy to spread around. Menzie just took up too much space for Bears.

Righetti 70 El Camino 60
Mills 51 SHP 28

PAL South should be very competitive this year (as it was last year), wish I could say the same about the North

Riordan 39 Berkeley 28 at the half,
Chun leads scoring with 18

Riordan 86 Berkeley 57 Final
Crusaders make a statement blowing out a very good Berkeley squad and taking the Crusader Classic title. The Yellowjackets appeared weary after last night's game with Mission and its lack of depth showed against the prohibitive underdog Crusaders. James Chun was hot the entire night. Soph Jelani Clark has improved tremendously and shut down Berkeley's stud, Baker. Riordan filled it up from the 3pt line with several newcomers contributing. Travis Benham and 6-6 soph Cross did a solid job filling in for injured 6-6 Carrigan in the paint blocking shots, rebounding and gathering 2nd chance shots. Riordan's overall hustle, quickness and length on defense and once again winning the 50/50 contest was very nice to see this week. A definite confidence booster as the young Crusaders prep for WCAL play. Props to Coach Curtin and his staff in their debut this week.

Last edited:
Happy to say that I was way off in my prediction of a Berkeley rout over the Crusaders. Riordan jumped on them early and the outcome was never in doubt after midway through the second quarter. Tonight was the best game that I've seen Riordan play in the last two years. James Chun was on fire all night and Jelani Clark was on point tonight as well. Really impressed by Travis Benham's play as well as Justice Turner, Anthony Orespeza. Quality win and congratulations to Coach Joey and his staff!

Last edited:
2nd Half highlights of last night's Crusader Classic Final - Riordan vs Berkeley.

Reactions: SF_Mikey
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT