ADVERTISEMENT

Saban sighting in Folsom

No Jonah Williams on campus anymore.
Let me be clear. There is nobody at Folsom who will sniff the field at Alabama. Would be a bad move.

flores and Lyons are national recruits getting offered from every corner of the country literally so obviously there is several hundred coaches that think they can get on the field anywhere

Reactions: remc
flores and Lyons are national recruits getting offered from every corner of the country literally so obviously there is several hundred coaches that think they can get on the field

flores and Lyons are national recruits getting offered from every corner of the country literally so obviously there is several hundred coaches that think they can get on the field anywhere

didn’t say they wouldn’t be offered or haven’t been. Said they will never see the field. Lots of Hype and many in the know understand what I’m saying. Your aren’t recruiting guys like Najee Harris, Joseph Ngata, or Brock bowers. I guess that is what makes the transfer portal nice. Go somewhere you can play.

Reactions: THEOC89
didn’t say they wouldn’t be offered or haven’t been. Said they will never see the field. Lots of Hype and many in the know understand what I’m saying. Your aren’t recruiting guys like Najee Harris, Joseph Ngata, or Brock bowers. I guess that is what makes the transfer portal nice. Go somewhere you can play.
Playing for a championship team is very rewarding. Such a small fraction of these kids will go onto the league. At some point, you better enjoy the ride, make friends. At the end of the day, for just about all of them, its about the brotherhood.

No Jonah Williams on campus anymore.
Let me be clear. There is nobody at Folsom who will sniff the field at Alabama. Would be a bad move.

No disrespect, LL, as we obviously go way back, but this is a rather naive and silly statement.

Nick Saban is widely considered among the top college HC’s of all-time. A coach of his stature isn’t wasting valuable time visiting Folsom’s campus if his opinion of Folsom’s talent matched yours. Saban’s interest and presence on campus clearly indicates he sees things differently.

I’m fairly confident the vast majority would trust his eyes over yours, or mine or anyone else on this message board.

Lastly, anybody he’s interest in doesn’t have to be 1st or even 2nd year starting material. But anybody he is interested in is sure to be a talent he believes to be capable of seeing the field at some point in time.

Saban’s never been into handing out valuable scholarships to players he doesn’t believe would ever “sniff the field” even if that ends up being the case for some players (for whatever reasons).

Hell, even Alvin Kamara washed out and didn’t see the field there. But surely Nick Saban wasn’t expecting that.

Playing for a championship team is very rewarding. Such a small fraction of these kids will go onto the league. At some point, you better enjoy the ride, make friends. At the end of the day, for just about all of them, its about the brotherhood.
Agree but a lot of young kids today see it a little differently. Most at this level have never had to face any real competition and when playing time and things don’t go your way they end up leaving regardless of the greater good or end game. Most of the time it’s the parents fueling the fire.

Look saban was at Folsom before. He recruited both browning and Williams. Nobody in there mind said what is he doing on campus chasing those 2. Both had stellar college careers and one starts Sunday in AFC champ game. Go back to my Post. First time I saw Williams I said he was a pro. People on here laughed. Not the same situation today. Myself and many others close to the program don’t see it. Time will tell.

I guess only "legends" can sniff the field at these places. If your the dad of these athletes, tell them to use this negativity as FUEL

Saban was transporting a few players from Reno to tour Folsom at the same time.
Yes he was. Reno express was real deal though.

Most of you have never seen the players who he is recruiting play. That is obvious. From the replies. I have yet to hear a response that proves otherwise. In the end it’s a numbers game. Most of these 7v7 stars don’t pencil out and they recruit over you next year. Keep the hype machine and Twitter post going It’s a doggy world of college athletics.

Yes he was. Reno express was real deal though.

Most of you have never seen the players who he is recruiting play. That is obvious. From the replies. I have yet to hear a response that proves otherwise. In the end it’s a numbers game. Most of these 7v7 stars don’t pencil out and they recruit over you next year. Keep the hype machine and Twitter post going It’s a doggy world of college athletics.
I didn't see anyone of Ngata or Williams stature on last season's team, except maybe Flores but I am not a college scout either, but I tend to agree with you on this one. Maybe there is some pipeline underclassman that is catching his eye. I do think the TE this year was very good as well but not Alabama good.

I didn't see anyone of Ngata or Williams stature on last season's team, except maybe Flores but I am not a college scout either, but I tend to agree with you on this one. Maybe there is some pipeline underclassman that is catching his eye. I do think the TE this year was very good as well but not Alabama good.
My exact thoughts. The TE had complete goose egg in state finals. Guys going to bama make reg Hs kids look like 4th graders. There is good and Bama good. Najee Harris sat for damn near 2.5 years at Bama . Najee Harris was a guy you drove 3 hours to watch play. I’m not driving more than 15 min to see these guys.

The TE Lyons has offers to every Power 5 school imaginable.

Reactions: RidgeRider
Was Saban at Pitt to see the QB Rashada? Anyone else from there being recruited at that level?

Reactions: Paloma
Saban’s doing what great recruiters do,
Keep communication open weather you’re interested in a player or not.How many schools will he visit that he won’t offer a scholarship around the country? More than a few I’m sure

Was Saban at Pitt to see the QB Rashada? Anyone else from there being recruited at that level?
For sure Rashada. Williams and a handful of others are worth looking at as well. Agree with Ararar, there’s enough top guys in NorCal to justify the visit. Not to mention the youn guys at schools like Pitt, DLS and Folsom.

Reactions: THEOC89 and MC415
To even entertain the idea that a 4 star and top 150 prospect such as Rico Flores couldn’t sniff the field at Alabama is ridiculously short-sighted and naive.

Even more ridiculous considering Flores already has a scholarship offer from Bama and has Nick Saban visiting little Folsom, but also holds offers from Georgia, Ohio State, LSU, Notre Dame, USC, and Oregon.

Ohio State/Brian Harline is so good at identifying and recruiting WR’s that their #4 guy Jameson Williams transferred to Bama and was the immediate clear-cut #1.

But apparently neither program or the reigning National title winner knows what the hell they’re doing offering a player like Flores.

Straight silly talk.

Last edited:
To even entertain the idea that a 4 star and top 150 prospect such as Rico Flores couldn’t sniff the field at Alabama is ridiculously short-sighted and naive.

Even more ridiculous considering Flores already has a scholarship offer from Bama and has Nick Saban visiting little Folsom, but also holds offers from Georgia, Ohio State, LSU, Notre Dame, USC, and Oregon.

Ohio State/Brian Harline is so good at identifying and recruiting WR’s that their #4 guy Jameson Williams transferred to Bama and was the immediate clear-cut #1.

But apparently neither program or the reigning National title winner knows what the hell they’re doing offering a player like Flores.

Straight silly talk.
You have an opinion and I do. You aren’t close to the program either. And how many can’t miss prospects turned out to be bust. Joe burrows wasn’t good enough to play at Ohio state because people are idiots . Yeah I’m the guy who doesn’t know talent. You think Lyons is Brock Bowers ? Hahaha. That’s silly. Rico gets covered by Hs kids and doesn’t get separation. Just wait and I will tell you I told you so. We aren’t talking about the Ngata brothers, Jonah Williams, Jordan Richard , browning etc. those were guys that you paid to see and we’re legit 4/5 stars. If you can’t see that I can’t help you.

If he was smart. He’s LDS and dad played there. That is his best move. Go watch the CC Film and tell me how elite he is.
I have to agree with you Larry. I’ve watched the kid play from his jr program days (at OR where he should be playing HS ball since he lives in EDH) until today. He’s a very good player, but I don’t understand all the hype about him.

Not saying this is the case w/Lyons as I have watched zero film on the young fella. Wish the best for him.

All these ratings and star 🌟 system is made up and does not matter in the end. Shoot we had a kid that was a 3star according to all the rating pundits.. nobody asked us if the kid was eligible, does he even play for us? Shoot the kid went from a 2 to a 3 star and was our 3rd stringer, but hey, the kid looked amazing in shorts and shirts one time 4 months ago.

Thanks for the rant. Wishing good football for us all!

If he was smart. He’s LDS and dad played there. That is his best move. Go watch the CC Film and tell me how elite he is.
I agree I think BYU makes the most sense for a lot of reasons. Great program. I've seen him a few times, very good, but doesn't seem elite but I'm not a scout, having said that I hope he does awesome at the next level, I like the BYU option for him.

I have to agree with you Larry. I’ve watched the kid play from his jr program days (at OR where he should be playing HS ball since he lives in EDH) until today. He’s a very good player, but I don’t understand all the hype about him.
This is all been my point! These people on this board get totally carried away with the hype machine. Go watch these kids play in person. I know this situation very well and I also know talent. Follow my post and you won’t call me crazy. I go to the games! I watch the film.
shit kid didn’t even start at QB on fresh team at OR which is why he transferred in first place to folsom. He’s a hold back.. list goes on and on….
Dad has deep pockets and is a great marketer.

Reactions: RidgeRider
I agree I think BYU makes the most sense for a lot of reasons. Great program. I've seen him a few times, very good, but doesn't seem elite but I'm not a scout, having said that I hope he does awesome at the next level, I like the BYU option for him.
I agree with you and I'm a Folsom homer. Good player, not elite at all. Some people (parents) are good at working the system. I don't think he will be successful at that level in college.

You have an opinion and I do. You aren’t close to the program either. And how many can’t miss prospects turned out to be bust. Joe burrows wasn’t good enough to play at Ohio state because people are idiots . Yeah I’m the guy who doesn’t know talent. You think Lyons is Brock Bowers ? Hahaha. That’s silly. Rico gets covered by Hs kids and doesn’t get separation. Just wait and I will tell you I told you so. We aren’t talking about the Ngata brothers, Jonah Williams, Jordan Richard , browning etc. those were guys that you paid to see and we’re legit 4/5 stars. If you can’t see that I can’t help you.

I love ya LL, but you are far too high on your own evaluations.

Furthermore, IDK who Burrows is, but Joe Burrow sat the bench at tOSU similarly as Tom Brady did at UM because he wasn’t good enough early on in his collegiate career. Calling the coaches idiots is just ridiculously uninformed. But that seems to be your schtick at times. IDK why.

Burrow wasn’t even really all that good his 1st season starting at LSU (a fact you seem unaware of) so stop with the nonsense. He was a late bloomer, like Brady, and also found the right coordinator and right system at the right time. The rest is a credit to his talent, hard work over 5 years, and development, which largely occurred at tOSU.

I watch every Ohio State game. I follow their offseason program, recruiting and spring ball. Burrow wasn’t good enough to start back then. And was only marginally good as a 4th year Junior at LSU. Period, end of story.

As for HS ball, I’ve watched as much as you or anyone over the past 35+ years. So don’t start with me there.

Rico Flores may never develop into a star player at the collegiate level. And if he doesn’t that doesn’t mean you were right. Because you are flat wrong about his potential right now. Which is 100% why Brian Harline and Nick Saban have open offers to him. They know 100x what you and I know combined. So stop with the nonsense already. As for Lyons, I never talked him up. You’re just inventing drama there.

Next, you drop the Ngata brothers names as if it means something, but what have they accomplished thus far??

Yet you were all over them in HS. Shows what you know. Which is nothing more than anyone else on this site.

But that’s besides the point. The point is dismissing the opinions of guys like Hartline and Saban in favor of your very small windowed opinion is laughable. Those guys are wrong and miss on players a lot, but they are also much more consistent and correct than the majority. Those guys see players from all over the US, not just their immediate area and state and surely watch a lot more film than you do and understand evaluating talent more than you do.

And they both see something they really like in Rico Flores. That actually says something. As do the standing offers Flores has from defending Nat’l Champ Georgia, Notre Dame, Oregon, LSU, USC, and numerous others.

Lastly, Brian Hartline is among the hottest names in coaching right now and is known for identifying and developing receiving talent. 3 of his recent players (Wilson, Olave and Williams) were just drafted consecutively in the 1st round of the past NFL draft while Jaxson Smith-Njigba will go very highly in the next draft and Marvin Harrison Jr is likely to be a player everyone hears about this upcoming season.

If Hartline is high on Flores — that demonstrates exactly how out of touch with reality you really are.

Last edited:
Go watch these kids play in person. I know this situation very well and I also know talent. Follow my post and you won’t call me crazy. I go to the games! I watch the film.
Yeah I’m the guy who doesn’t know talent.

I gotta make one last point re: the above.

Besides attending tons of games as a fan — which I acknowledge you do a lot of — what are your qualifications?

I mean, I’ve been watching and attending NFL and college games since I was 6. Religiously.
Does that qualify me to be a scout or proficient talent evaluator at those levels??

With regard to HS ball, there are a lot of folks on this website that have actually coached and worked with athletes at various levels for decades. Some more than others and some still very active at it. While not coaching or working with athletes today or for the past few years, I’m included among these people.

So again I ask, what exactly have you ever done — beyond watch from the stands and on TV — to justify presenting your player evaluation opinions in such a holier than thou manner?

None of the above means you can’t ever be right or have a valid opinion and it also doesn’t mean those more involved in the game than you can never be wrong.

I‘m just calling it to attention since you are clearly under the delusion that merely watching lots of games and film somehow places that person on the same level as someone that does it for a living, such as Hartline and Saban.

Last edited:
Next, you drop the Ngata brothers names as if it means something, but what have they accomplished thus far??
This! Ole can’t miss Joe a guaranteed pro has been frankly nonexistent at next level. Predicting how HS kids will develop at next level isn’t easy or exactly a science. Some kids go from nobody’s to stars, other from stars to where are they now?

This! Ole can’t miss Joe a guaranteed pro has been frankly nonexistent at next level. Predicting how HS kids will develop at next level isn’t easy or exactly a science. Some kids go from nobody’s to stars, other from stars to where are they now?
Starting on a Clemson, a national power isn't exactly pedestrian.

He'd be putting up huge numbers if you're "can't miss" boy DJ could throw at a HS level. Just another QB (JT Daniels another) from SoCal that were all hype and no bite. :)

He'd be putting up huge numbers if you're "can't miss" boy DJ could throw at a HS level. Just another QB (JT Daniels another) from SoCal that were all hype and no bite. :)
DJ and JT weren't all hype when they whooped DLS in state multiple times. JT will probably be starting at WVU and DJ still starting at Clemson. When was the last time someone from the bay besides Ngata went to Clemson? get your talent up

Starting? Are we now counting spring ball like season ball?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT