ADVERTISEMENT

Sac-Joaquin D2 Football Playoff Bracket

SearsPoints

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Sep 13, 2007
Interesting note here. It's my understanding that Rocklin cannot host a playoff game due to a section violation. So, the Lincoln-L/Whitney winner will host.

#1 - Rocklin (7-3)
#2 - Cosumnes Oaks (7-3)
#3 - Vacaville (8-2)
#4 - Jesuit (5-5)

#12 Tracy (4-6) @ #5 Central Catholic (5-5)
#11 Oakmont (6-4) @ #6 Elk Grove (6-4)
#10 Downey (7-3) @ #7 Granite Bay (4-6)
#9 Whitney (4-6) @ #8 Lincoln-L (5-5)

I am ok with this bracket, but Jesuit being a 4 seed is honestly ridiculous. They do not deserve that seed with the losses and SoS (25.4) they had this year. They lost to GB 24-0 and lost to Christian Brothers. I would have put GB, Whitney, or CC above them for sure. Jesuit should have been a 9-12 seed imo.

I am ok with this bracket, but Jesuit being a 4 seed is honestly ridiculous. They do not deserve that seed with the losses and SoS (25.4) they had this year. They lost to GB 24-0 and lost to Christian Brothers. I would have put GB, Whitney, or CC above them for sure. Jesuit should have been a 9-12 seed imo.

Jesuit started 0-3 without their starting quarterback. They’re 5-2 since he came back. Both losses were within a touchdown against good teams (Cosumnes Oaks and Davis). Blanton coached teams have a history of improving drastically throughout the season.

Reactions: FootballJunkie101
For example, Jesuit lost to GB 27-12 early last year and then beat them 42-0 in the playoffs. And Jesuit beat PG yesterday 42-21. PG beat CB 56-12 earlier this season. The section got it right.
Totally agree. Jesuit is where they belong. The field isn't that impressive in the first place. So knowing that the Marauders are stronger than they were at the start of the year makes sense. Playoff teams seeded 5-12 are going to catch hell beating Jesuit on their home turf.

Is Jesuit's field still slippery as a water slide that had been greased w/crisco?

I watched your 2016 playoff game with Jesuit @Jesuit and do recall players traction being a little sketchy... make sure you speedsters wear the right cleats ;)

Oh by the way @mistark & @zebs I’m pulling for your Tigers this year. While I should be pulling for my SFL teams(Rocklin, GB & Whitney) I think this is Indy’s year and want to see y’all get to the next level. I like how you roll and what you do for the kids and community there. Good luck Tigers!

Last edited:
Reactions: remc and THEOC89
Jesuit's home turf is a definite advantage. According to my young relative, many of their players use a different set of cleats for home games than they do for away turfs.

It's more like an astroturf carpet than a typical turf field. It's not that it is bad, per se. It's just that it is so different from other turf fields.

Reactions: NorCalHSFan
No, its bad worst in the SJS they should get refunded by the company who put it in. It is literally a slip and slide

We bought 30 pairs of Adidas and had another 30 donated cleats just for that game, we also had the players bring every pair of cleats they owned. We got to Jesuit about an hr earlier than a normal away game. We had our players try every cleat they brought.

Great facilites over there but that field is no bueno. Straight ahead Veer is good there, anything quick or sudden and you might end up butt over tea kettle.

We bought 30 pairs of Adidas and had another 30 donated cleats just for that game, we also had the players bring every pair of cleats they owned. We got to Jesuit about an hr earlier than a normal away game. We had our players try every cleat they brought.

Great facilites over there but that field is no bueno. Straight ahead Veer is good there, anything quick or sudden and you might end up butt over tea kettle.
Great idea on the multiple shoe options and early arrival.

Even the Veer in the wrong shoes is an issue.

Reactions: mistark
I am not drinking the Jesuit punch. #4 seed is a gift. They are much better with Susac as QB, but he is not tackling anyone. Defense is a problem. Have they stopped anyone? Well, you can't count Rio.

Rocklin vs. Vaca....Coach Pop and the bulldogs are in the shadow lurking while nobody talks about them. Well coached group that has the staff to win the Section.

Elk Grove is good. Their 4 losses all in the 4th quarter. They could get it together and make a run as well.

This is the most likely bracket where a non-top two seed ends up winning it all.

Central Catholic is a team to watch if they can get healthy. Could potentially get a home game in the semi-final against Rocklin if they get that far

Some really good games in this bracket Friday!

#1 Rocklin vs #9 Whitney
#4 Jesuit vs #5 Central Catholic
#2 Cosumnes Oaks vs #7 Granite Bay
#3 Vacaville vs #6 Elk Grove

Honestly besides Vacaville vs Elk Grove (Players suspended because of fighting). Any of those games are up for grabs. Honestly hard for me to pick winners here. Jesuit struggled early then went on a mini run, but Central Catholic is always difficult and play a tough schedule. CO is very athletic , but GB always has great defense, and Whitney vs Rocklin is a rivalry game anything can happen. Whitney seems to be playing well recently and Rocklin has been tough all year. Not sure which game I will check out quite yet. Maybe catch 2 if Jesuit is on a Saturday. Wish it was Friday already!

#1 Rocklin vs #9 Whitney

Honestly besides Vacaville vs Elk Grove (Players suspended because of fighting). Any of those games are up for grabs. Honestly hard for me to pick winners here. Jesuit struggled early then went on a mini run, but Central Catholic is always difficult and play a tough schedule. CO is very athletic , but GB always has great defense, and Whitney vs Rocklin is a rivalry game anything can happen. Whitney seems to be playing well recently and Rocklin has been tough all year. Not sure which game I will check out quite yet. Maybe catch 2 if Jesuit is on a Saturday. Wish it was Friday already!
Don't think for a second because 3 players might be suspended that Elk Grove won't win this game.Vacaville has it's own turmoil they are dealing with.

#1 Rocklin vs #9 Whitney

Winners-
Rocklin
Central
Cosumnes
Vacaville

Elk Grove at CO Friday 7:00 PM @CO

Whitney at Jesuit Saturday 1PM

8-9 weeks ago I would have said you were crazy if this was the final 4 in the D2 playoffs.... What a season of football! I honestly cannot pick winners here I have no idea . Two very good matchups next weekend. Elk Grove lost to CO earlier in the season and Jesuit scrimmaged Whitney at the beginning of the year. So they are both familiar with each other. Was VERY surprised Whitney beat Rocklin like they did and CO scored 17 in the 4th to beat GB. Did Whitney have injuries early on? or are they just hitting their stride? It is hard to bet against them right now. excited for this weekend!

I think Elk Grove wins ... lot of motivation there. Always tough to beat a good team twice.

Jesuit is on a tear the past 6 weeks or so.. they're hot right now as is Whitney. I think Jesuit pulls this one out.

Jesuit v Elk Grove in the ship. Let's see how it goes.

Reactions: NorCalHSFan
ya @larry legend33 there schedule was second toughest in the entire section. They played Folsom, Central (Fresno), Placer, Paraclete, Oak Ridge... crazy looking at their schedule on maxpreps. Does not shock me as much now why they are still in this bracket.

Reactions: larry legend33
I stand corrected. the toughest schedule in the section not 2nd. ( 36.5 rating ) next closest is Folsom at ( 35.3 )

If Cosumnes Oaks doesn't win this bracket, it will be an epic let down. The only teams remaining finished 3rd, 4th, and 6th in their leagues. CO has already beaten two of the three. It is the least strong D2 bracket in years, and the upset of Rocklin just softened it some more.

Inderkum must be wishing they had kept a hundred kids out of their school so they could stay in D2. They would have been the prohibitive favorites in this division. Much easier road than D1.

@MTsince2004 if were going off CO beating 2 of 3 and scores etc. Whitney beat Paraclete by more than MT. and they beat them handily. So who knows if MT and Whitney played Whitney could win. I dont think this bracket is weak at all. Just good teams playing tough schedules.

It's not so much that the bracket is weak, it's just nowhere near as strong as D2 has been over the last decade. Look at just last year. The final four was much stronger. I know it sounds like I am still trying to politely say it is "weak," but it's really not what I mean.

And forget comparative scores and hypotheticals. I'm talking head-to-head. CO has beaten two of the three. That doesn't mean they will again, but it does mean that they have no excuses for blowing this chance.

Inderkum's best win is against Davis, the Delta league champion. Most of the teams left in the D2 bracket are Delta teams. Inderkum beat Elk Grove head up. Inderkum would be the favorite in D2. Inderkum is still playing in D1, for that matter. They will only be a one score underdog to Oak Ridge this week. Certainly, they have a shot. They also would match up well against either team from the other side of the bracket. But any objective observer would admit that they would be the favorite in D2.

If you are trying to make the argument that Whitney has a chance to win the bracket, I can agree with that. They have as good a chance as any of the four left. They certainly are battle tested.

I'm no Cosumnes Oaks fan, nor was I predicting that they will win. I was just saying they have no excuses if they lose and should be sorely disappointed at wasting a great chance for a section banner. The stars don't align like this very often.

I think Elk Grove wins ... lot of motivation there. Always tough to beat a good team twice.

Jesuit is on a tear the past 6 weeks or so.. they're hot right now as is Whitney. I think Jesuit pulls this one out.

Jesuit v Elk Grove in the ship. Let's see how it goes.
That was my pick before it began

Reactions: Thunderous
Inderkum's best win is against Davis, the Delta league champion. Most of the teams left in the D2 bracket are Delta teams. Inderkum beat Elk Grove head up. Inderkum would be the favorite in D2. Inderkum is still playing in D1, for that matter. They will only be a one score underdog to Oak Ridge this week. Certainly, they have a shot. They also would match up well against either team from the other side of the bracket. But any objective observer would admit that they would be the favorite in D2.

If you are trying to make the argument that Whitney has a chance to win the bracket, I can agree with that. They have as good a chance as any of the four left. They certainly are battle tested.

I'm no Cosumnes Oaks fan, nor was I predicting that they will win. I was just saying they have no excuses if they lose and should be sorely disappointed at wasting a great chance for a section banner. The stars don't align like this very often.
ELK Grove also beat Davis. They had Inderkum beat. A terrible 15 helmet to helmet penalty against EG by a ref out of position vs Indy on 4 down gave them 1st and goal. IVE SEEN Hudl replay . Be curious what Indy coach says about the play. Eg gets ball back and drives it to 1st and goal at 5 with 20 seconds and fumbled. They also chased missed extra points early which would have at least been OT
Elk Grove beat themselves first time vs C.O. They took lead vs Oak Ridge and then gave up a kickoff return . Then when driving back OL was blocking downfield and got an unnecessary roughness . Wasn’t at Jesuit but heard they had 3 terrible turnovers and lost 38-35.
For what it’s worth I thought whoever won Indy vs Davis would make final . I chose Davis in an earlier thread so I’ll stick with Indy. Their speed can disrupt OAk Ridge

I truly get strength of schedule... and scheduling tough opponents.. but getting shellacked by superior opponents often doesn't do much for team morale. I think really the only team that has overcome losing to tough non league opponents is Whitney. Fortunately with the way SOS is part of the equation... teams like Whitney 4-6 get a shot in place of 8-2 Grace Davis.. 7-3 Laguna Creek.. or 7-3 Johansen. And Whitney is making the most of it.

I stand corrected. the toughest schedule in the section not 2nd. ( 36.5 rating ) next closest is Folsom at ( 35.3 )

Yeah Whitney could end up in the finals. Wouldn’t be surprised. I was at that OR game and it was anybody’s game until the 4th. Whitney QB is legit.

This is one of the most athletic teams OR has had that I can recall. They have lots of speed and size in there secondary and skill positions. In the past that would concern me more but I don’t think you will see Indy running away from OR. I expect a great game.

Whitney vs Elk Grove Friday 7:00 PM Hughes Stadium!

Was at the Jesuit vs Whitney Game, Great game! Was very physical. Whitney came out FAST and should have had 2 more touchdowns before half. One of their receivers dropped a wide open wheel route that would have been a touchdown and their TE had 2 drops early down the seams. But they persevered and stuck it out. What a great story for Whitney. The new staff has really changed the culture and expectations there. When they first got there I had heard many kids were not happy with Doherty being let go and it was hard to get buy in from the player still there, hence 0-10. Many quit last year and in the off season, I think maxpreps at the beginning of this season had them with 31 Kids on roster. Just being a football fan, especially in the sac area just awesome to see a story unfold like this.

Whitney vs Elk Grove Friday 7:00 PM Hughes Stadium!

Was at the Jesuit vs Whitney Game, Great game! Was very physical. Whitney came out FAST and should have had 2 more touchdowns before half. One of their receivers dropped a wide open wheel route that would have been a touchdown and their TE had 2 drops early down the seams. But they persevered and stuck it out. What a great story for Whitney. The new staff has really changed the culture and expectations there. When they first got there I had heard many kids were not happy with Doherty being let go and it was hard to get buy in from the player still there, hence 0-10. Many quit last year and in the off season, I think maxpreps at the beginning of this season had them with 31 Kids on roster. Just being a football fan, especially in the sac area just awesome to see a story unfold like this.
Agree with you on this. It's a great story and gives NorCal another power to be reckon with. I said early on that Whitney is not to be played with after they hung with Central (Fresno) in the first half. Even though the Grizzlies pulled away in the second half you can sense the Wildcats wasn't afraid of the challenge. That's coaching and like I've said many times before, coaching matters. Big shot out to coach McNally for bringing order back to the Whitney football program. The players, parents and fans should be elated to have such a solid coach. I wouldn't be shocked if they upset Central next year in Rocklin.

Reactions: THEOC89
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT